• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 9,584 Views, 504 Comments

Discovering Friendship - Saro0fdemonz



Twilight Sparkle, aspiring student of Princess Celestia has been tasked with the most difficult challenge a Magian must face. Making friends. Along the way she will discover what it means to truly be a friend and uncover a power unlike any other.

  • ...
38
 504
 9,584

PreviousChapters Next
Episode Three:Secrets of the Rainbow Part three

Humming filled the air as Rainbow worked her way through a coloring-book, Firefly working on her laptop and the two sharing a pizza. A knock at the door broke their gentle silence.

"I wonder who that could be." Firefly mumbled, heading for the door. She opened it and gasped as she was hugged.

"Hey! How's everything?" Spitfire asked.

"Mom!" Rainbow called, blushing and clearing her throat. "I-I mean...uh..." Rainbow fell silent, standing there and twiddling her thumbs.

She was dressed in her fathers cap, her personalized Wonderbolts' shirt and matching shorts. Spitfire felt tears sting her eyes as she walked over to her, pulling her into a hug.

"Oh I missed you so much." Spitfire gushed.

"I missed you too." Rainbow clung to her.

"Hey, where's your boyfriend? He still owes me that beer." Soarin said. Firefly's eyes widened and she quickly tried to shut Soarin up, but it was too late. Rainbows smile died as she hung her head.

"Whats wrong? Did something happen?" Spitfire asked.

"Its...a long story..." Firefly sighed.


Soarin and Spitfire sat in silence as Firefly finished explaining. Rainbow kept her head down, staring at her hands and blinking as Spitfire grabbed them.

"Sometimes the important things we have to do aren't always the best Dash. But what you did...proves how amazing and strong and brave you are. And I'm so proud of you..." Spitfire said quietly.

"I killed someone...how is that something to be proud of?"

"He brought it on himself Dash. He attacked first, he meant to kill both of you and because you stood up and did what had to be done you saved both of you. Doing what has to be done is the Super Hero Code ya know." Soarin said with a smile.

"D-Do you guys have to kill people?" Rainbow stammered.

"We don't like the idea of it. But in a life or death situation we do what we have to. If we can spare lives then we do. If fighting is the only way out, then its the only way out." Spitfire answered. Rainbow looked back at her hands and then she noticed Spitfires' ear.

"Someone tried to kill you guys too?" Rainbow asked.

"Well, it was a dangerous mission." Soarin mumbled, Firefly punching his shoulder.

"What matters is that we're all okay and together Rainbow. And...I'm happy to be here for you, as your mom, or your friend." Spitfire smiled. Rainbow nodded, wrapping her arms around her.

"Come on, lets get you packed up." Spitfire said, patting her back. Rainbow nodded and hopped out of her seat, rushing over to Firefly and hugging her legs

"You'll visit, right Auntie Firefly?" Rainbow asked. Soarin chuckled.

"Auntie Firefly? That's got a nice ring to it." he pointed out as Firefly glared at him.

"Of course I'll visit Rainbow. oh, I almost forgot." She pulled Rainbows Wonderbolt hat from behind her back. On the side it was signed

From Firefly to my hero: Rainbow Dash Rainbow held it gently.

"Th-thanks Auntie." Rainbow wiped away her tears before they could show. Soarin ruffled her hair and headed into the guest room to grab her things.

"You sure you'll be able to visit? We could just come and see you." Spitfire offered.

"It'll be nice to get out of the house every now and then. It'll be lonely here without her."

"Well, I'm sure she'll be happy to see you again." Spitfire smiled. Soarin came back with several bags over his shoulders and a box in his arms.

"Lets get this train a'movin. Ice cream to eat, monsters to slay, gifts to open!" Soarin cheered.

"Bye Auntie Firefly!" Rainbow said, hugging her tightly. Firefly waved as they got into a rental car and drove off, biting her lip as they vanished out of sight.

"Goodbye Rainbow..."


"Aw man its good to be home." Soarin sighed, setting everything down and cracking his back.

"Geez, you two are turning me into an old man." he chuckled.

"Not too old for a race are ya?" Rainbow asked, flaring her wings.

"First one to the fridge gets first bite?" Soarin asked.

"Mmhm." Rainbow agreed. Spitfire shook her head.

"On your mark, get set, go!" she cheered, watching as they took off with a giggle.

"Whoo-hoo! Aw yea! and Dash is the champion!" she heard Rainbow call out with Soarin groaning in defeat. Spitfire sat down, sifting through their mail and finding a letter addressed to Rainbow from her old hospital. She stared at it for a long time, before realizing Rainbow and Soarin were coming back, both with a tub of ice cream.

"Hey, slow down Dash or you'll..." Soarin tried to say, but it was too late.

"OW! MY BRAIN!" she cried, holding her spoon against her head.

"I warned ya." Soarin shrugged. Spitfire tucked the letter away under a few bills

"So, what do ya want to eat tonight?" Spitfire asked. Rainbow mulled it over a spoon of ice cream.

"Hmm...Fried Chicken!" she declared.

"On it boss-lady-ma'am" Soarin saluted, earning a giggle. Rainbow sighed as she sat down on the couch.

"Auntie thinks I should go see a therapist." Rainbow said suddenly, staring at her ice cream.

"Dash, you aren't crazy or anything."

"I-I know. But...maybe it would help." Rainbow said slowly.

"Do you want to?" Spitfire asked.

"Well...part of me does. The rest of me is scared." she admitted.

"I don't blame you. But your pretty brave Dash. I'll back you up on whatever you decide." Spitfire promised.

"Thanks mom..." Rainbow said as she leaned against her. The two of them just sat there for a while with Rainbow sucking on her spoon, though the wonderful smells coming from the kitchen forced them both to get up. Soarin was dressed in a fancy chef coat and hat, singing random Fracaian Babble as if he actually knew the language.

"And voila! One beautifully cooked meal, by yours truly." he said with a bow. Three plates sat piled with two chicken legs each, a pile of homemade mash potatoes and gravy, a side of roasted corn and finished off with green beans.

"I knew there was a reason I kept you around." Spitfire grinned.

"My devilishly good looks? My wonderful humor? My dazzling smile?"

"Your cooking ya dingbat." Spitfire chucked a green bean at him but was foiled as he caught it in his mouth. Rainbow watched with a mouthful of chicken, crumbs covering her cheeks as she ate. It was good to be home.


Rainbow stared at herself in the mirror, dressed in a new custom made Wonderbolts onesie. It was dark blue with lightning bolts on the shoulders and a rainbow running down the back like a cape.

The bolt on her left shoulder was surrounded in flames while the one on her right had a pair of blue wings. It had quickly become her favorite thing to wear, along with her signed Wonderbolts cap or her fathers lucky red cap. Though she only wore that if she felt she needed it.

It felt like each time she put it on that she could hear him speak. Almost like he was there with her anytime she wore it and as long as she had him and his hat nothing could tear her down. She sighed, rinsing her toothbrush and pulling open the cabinet to put it away. When she closed the mirror it wasn't her reflection she saw, but her mother.

"Hello Rainbow." her mother spoke up. Rainbow screamed, her wings flaring to life and her eyes glowing brightly.

"Ah ah ah, I wouldn't do that. It was so very hard to pull you from the edge you know. Why burn away what little life you might have left?" her mother asked. Rainbow grit her teeth.

"Gimmie one good reason to believe you." Rainbow asked.

"You don't need a reason from me. You can feel it. The pain of all that magic coursing through you, the ache and the nausea it leaves behind. Every time you grab a hold of that power you are burning yourself away Rainbow. That's not why I gave you my magic."

"Then why did you do it? To prove your theories? To save your career?"

"I did it to save you Rainbow. You and your father." Nightgale said softly, adjusting her glasses.

"That's a lie and you know it." Rainbow spat.

"Is it Rainbow? Do you want to know why I always cut the same feather? Why I went to such lengths?" she asked

"I don't give a damn." Rainbow grumbled, crossing her arms.

"Well that's too bad. The reason Rainbow is because your wings were dying. Decaying and melting away. Applying normal healing methods only multiplied the decay rate. The only way to repair them was by feeding them a source of power that would build upon itself. The only source available..."

"Was magic..." Rainbow realized, looking at her wings.

"Now you understand what hundreds of scientists refused to see. You are special Rainbow. You are my biggest accomplishment in life and in death. But that will be for nothing if you burn yourself out." Nightgale sighed.

"Rainbow, are you okay in there?" Spitfire asked, knocking on the door gently. Rainbow blinked, realizing she had been standing there having a conversation with herself. She glanced back at the mirror, finding only her reflection. She gulped as she stepped out of the bathroom.

"I'll take those therapy sessions now..."


Rainbow bit her lip as she sat in the waiting room. Several parents sat with their children, some twitching nervously and others crying their eyes out. Rainbow felt lost. She didn't belong here with these lunatics and sob story kids. She was better than this.

You sure about that? Nightgales voice asked. Rainbow gulped, squeezing Spitfires' hand. Spitfire wrapped an arm around her, pulling her close.

"Its okay Rainbow. We can leave if you want." Spitfire said softly. Rainbow sighed.

"N-No. I need to do this." Rainbow said, mostly to herself. She gulped as a man came into the room. He was dressed in a long white lab coat that lay over his brown collared shirt and red tie, a pair of form-fitting jeans completing his ensemble. Despite his grayed hair he appeared quite young and full of life. His eyes were a bit creepy though.

"Hm, Rainbow Dash?" He called out, adjusting his glasses.

"Th-that's me" Rainbow called out. He smiled, snapping his fingers and flicking his wrist, a tootsie pop appearing between his fingers.

"Care for some candy?" he asked with a genuine smile. Rainbow blinked, looking him up and down. He raised an eyebrow, rolling his wrist once more, the candy vanishing. Rainbow pouted slightly until he pointed to her hand where the lollipop sat between her fingers.

"How'd you do that?" Rainbow asked. He chuckled and tapped his nose.

"Just a little bit of magic and a wave of the hand."

"Magic?" Rainbow asked.

"Ah, yes. You're the one that doesn't like magic. But not all magic is bad you know. For instance!" He snapped his fingers, a cloud forming in the room and raining bits of candy on the table.

"D-Dad, you said you wouldn't do that again." a young girl spoke up, tugging on his coat. She held a baby bunny in her arm, her long pink hair falling down her back. She wore a simple yellow dress that hung below her knees, giving her the modest appearance of a delicate flower.

"Oh! You are quite right dear. I did say that. Ahem." with another snap of his fingers the cloud faded away with a little pop.

"That's some of the weirdest magic I've ever seen." Rainbow mumbled.

"Its not real magic Dash. Those are magic tricks." Spitfire explained.

"Magic is the simple art of performing acts beyond normal comprehension my dear Wonderbolt!" he said with a smile.

"But we've wasted enough time with my theatrics. Shall we move to somewhere more comfortable?" he asked. Rainbow bit her lip and nodded, blinking as Spitfire stayed put.

"I'll be right here Rainbow." she promised. Rainbow nodded as she followed the man in the lab-coat.

"So um...why the lab-coat?" Rainbow asked.

"Ah, such curiosity. You see my dear Rainbow, I am not simply a therapist, I am a Doctor! A man of science! They call me a madman. Though others call me Doctor Dickson Accord."

"That's a funny name."

"Why thank you." he grinned with a tip of an imaginary hat. Rainbow couldn't help but giggle as he led the way into the room they would be using. She hopped up on a red couch, the girl from before sitting in a corner with her bunny.

"Fluttershy dear, would you mind stepping outside? Just for a little bit." Dr Accord asked. The pink-haired girl nodded, taking her bunny and leaving the room. Dr Accord plopped down in his chair, crossing his legs and resting his hands on his knees.

"Alrighty then Miss Dash. What seems to be the problem?" he asked.

"Uh...well...Its kind of a long story."

"Oh I do love a good story." he leaned back in his chair and waited. Rainbow sighed softly.

"You won't tell anyone? This all stays between us, right Doc?"

"Of course my dear. I would lose my job otherwise and I rather like being able to pay my bills." he replied. So it was that Rainbow began to recount the events of her life, the things she had suffered and the acts she had committed to survive. Slowly but surely Dr Accords smile began to fade away as he leaned forward.

"And that's how I ended up here..." Rainbow finished.

"That was quite the tale Miss Dash. I can very well understand your hatred of me and my colleagues. I must say it was quite brave of you to even come here today." he leaned back once more, removing his glasses and dabbing his eyes with a small cloth.

"Mom says not all of you are bad."

"She is a smart woman. We aren't all bad. I don't like to toot my own horn..." he pulled a small horn out of his end-table drawer and squeezed it a few times, making Rainbow giggle.

"But I've always strived to bring about the best outcome for everyone rather than the majority. Now, I won't make you come back to talk to me and I won't make you forget your hate of Magians. But if you want to talk then I'm happy to listen and offer whatever I can to ease your fractured mind." he said softly.

"My mind isn't fractured." Rainbow mumbled.

"Oh? No strange dreams? Hallucinations or anything of the like?" he asked. Rainbow gulped and twiddled her thumbs.

"Well uh...maybe a little..." she admitted. The two sat in silence for a moment, Dr Accord stroking his goatee absentmindedly. This girl was rather interesting, perhaps there was something more here. Such matters would have to be put aside for now. There was work to be done!

"I'd like to try something Rainbow, if you'll trust me that is." He spoke up, breaking their mutual silence.

"Uh...sure Doc...that's why I'm here right?" Rainbow said hesitantly.

"Just lay down and relax. Listen to the soothing sound of my voice." he told her. Rainbow laid down on the couch, her eyes falling closed slowly as she listened to him.

"Good, very good miss Dash. Now, when I snap my fingers you will find yourself face to face with that which you must overcome.1...2...3" he snapped his fingers and Rainbows eyes flew open. She found herself standing in a blank landscape and spun, finding emptiness for miles around.

"What the heck is this?"

"Your mind, your thoughts, your very being." Dr Accord explained. She jumped in surprise as he appeared beside her.

"In here you pull the strings my dear. But sometimes the strings might pull you. We won't go any further than this today, but when you are ready, we will battle your demons together." he offered. Rainbow turned back to look across the barren landscape, seeing her mother standing in front of them.

"Hello Rainbow." she said with a smile. The same crazed smile she had right before Rainbow had become a freak.

"AHHH!" Rainbow screamed as she sat up, panting heavily and clutching her chest, feeling like her heart was trying to jump out. She blinked as she felt arms around her, turning to find the pink-haired girl.

"I-It's okay." she said softly, giving her a gentle smile. Rainbow gulped, accepting the hug and letting the tears flow as the girl held her.

"Shhh, it's okay." she repeated, keeping Rainbow close until her sobs faded away.

"All better?" she asked. Rainbow chuckled and wiped away her tears.

"Yea...thanks." she said softly

"Oh um..s-sure." the girl smiled, hiding behind her hair. Rainbow looked past her, seeing her mother talk with Dr Accord outside the room.

"Hey, I'm probably gonna be coming back here...a lot...did you wanna be friends?" Rainbow asked. The girl blinked and nodded quickly. Rainbow laughed and wiped away a stray tear that tried to come back.

"I'm Rainbow Dash."

"I-I'm Fluttershy."

"Heh, well Fluttershy, I think we're gonna be good friends." She blinked as Fluttershy hugged her again, sighing as she returned it. Outside of the room, Dr Accord and Spitfire watched them.

"It seems we both shall benefit from this my dear." he chuckled.

"Your daughter, is she..." Spitfire began, trailing off as she turned to him.

"Magian? Oh no, not at all. She's Skyborn like her mother. But the poor thing is terrified of flying." he sighed.

"Not even I have been able to help her. But that girl of yours seems to have cracked her shell...Would you mind our next session being in your home? I think I might be on to something." he asked. Spitfire smiled and nodded.

"I don't mind. Dash needs this Doc. Whatever it takes to make her happy, I'll do it."

"Spoken like a true mother. I shall see you next week then my dear! Until then" he tipped his imaginary hat once more and entered the room. All of the pieces were falling into place.

Author's Note:

Did ya get it?!

I'm gonna finish up part four and THEN we can get back to the main story. Sorry for dragging this out.

PreviousChapters Next