• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 9,584 Views, 504 Comments

Discovering Friendship - Saro0fdemonz



Twilight Sparkle, aspiring student of Princess Celestia has been tasked with the most difficult challenge a Magian must face. Making friends. Along the way she will discover what it means to truly be a friend and uncover a power unlike any other.

  • ...
38
 504
 9,584

PreviousChapters Next
Episode Two:Flight of the Magian

Twilight yawned as she sat up, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. She froze and blinked, looking around. When had she fallen asleep?! Looking down she found the reference guide for the Elements...with her drool all over it.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

"Yup...just another normal day." Spike mumbled as Twilights scream woke him up. He sighed, crawling out of his bed and dragging his feet towards the kitchen.

"Coffee..."he grumbled under his breath, putting on a pot and leaning against the counter. It had been a week since the defeat of Nightmare Moon and still Twilight was scanning every last page of the reference guide.

Spike calmly poured himself a cup, setting it aside and making another for Twilight. Due to his rather...strange appetite, this was the norm for them. He had always made it a habit of keeping his food separate, lest Twilight need a visit to the dentist.

The panicking Magian stumbled her way into the kitchen in time for her assistant to hand her the cup of coffee which managed to somewhat sooth her nerves. Spike peeled the book from her grasp, blowing over it gently to dry the drool, letting a small puff of fire lick the page so it wouldn't cake.

"There, just like new." Spike said with a smile as he set it on the table. Twilight sighed as she sat down, holding her coffee with both hands.

"Thanks Spike..."she mumbled. He raised an eyebrow and sat across from her, dropping two small rubies into his coffee instead of sugar.

"Why is this bugging you so much?" Spike asked, causing her to glance over at him.

"That power, that knowledge. All of it vanished after Nightmare was defeated. None of us remember HOW we did any of that and nothing in this stupid book explains anything!" she sighed in frustration, massaging her temples.

"What if some horrible beast escapes Tartarus and our ONLY hope of defeating it is knowing how these..." she lifted up her tiara, glaring at the trinket "work. I need to know Spike." she set the trinket down, returning to her coffee.

"Driving yourself nuts day and night isn't going to solve anything. have you tried asking the Princess?" Spike asked. Twilight blinked, and then blinked again, staring off into empty space before letting out another ear piercing scream.

"Why didn't I think of that?!" She cried, slamming her face down onto the table. Spike shook his head, summoning his trusty pen and grabbing some paper.

"Ready whenever you are." he said with a smile.

"Grmfrmbrghfer." Twilight mumbled into the table.

"Is that with an F or a Ph?" Spike asked jokingly, dodging a spoon.

"Dear Princess Celestia..."


"What is with these clouds today?" Rainbow grumbled, twirling in the air and slamming her leg through a rather nasty looking cloud that had drifted over from the Everfree. She sighed, sitting on a drifting cumulus and relaxing for a minute.

"Its like the weather there is getting worse." Rainbow mumbled, crossing her arms and gazing over Eravil and towards Everfree. A bad storm was brewing there.

"If that hits the town it'll tear it to shreds..." she gulped, diving off her cloud and flaring out her wings. Gritting her teeth, she pushed her wings harder as the clouds raced towards Eravil.

"Go Dashie!" Pinkie yelled from below, waving a rainbow colored flag. Rainbow chuckled as she dived into the cloud to break it apart, blinking and screaming as she bounced off it and went tumbling backwards through the air. A quick roll and twitch of her wings and she was rightside up once more.

"Tough guy huh? Alright then pal." Rainbow flew up as high as she could, up until the air was thin and her skin felt cold as ice before dropping down like a rock, headfirst toward the gathering storm.

"You're mine!" she screamed over the wind, eyes wide as the clouds began to rumble.

"Uh oh..." she tried to stop, but at that speed it was hopeless, even for her. She could pull up, but she wasn't going to escape unscathed. Though if she pulled up now the storm would definitely hit Eravil.

"The things I do for this town." she mumbled, throwing up her arms in front of her and screaming as bolts of lightning flew at her from above and below. She closed her eyes, still diving straight for the storm.

It wasn't until she bounced off the cloud that she realized the lightning hadn't touched her. Of course the ground wasn't as forgiving. She groaned, rubbing her bottom and finding her armor in place of her shorts.

"What the...how the heck did I end up in this?" she mumbled.

"Dashie that was amazing! You were all like AHHHHHHHHH! and the lightning was all like BZZZZZZT but then you started glowing and the lightning bounced clean off you like it was nothing! and then you bounced off that scary looking cloud thats about to destroy our home." Pinkie summarized.

"Oh crud! Go get AJ! quick!" She told her, her wings flickering to life as she kicked off the ground and chased the storm. Pinkie Pie saluted and proceeded to bounce as quickly as she could to Sweet Apple Acres. Rainbow glanced around, waiting until Pinkie was out of sight before she began to chant under her breath, her eyes glowing dimly. She had to stop that storm, no matter the cost.


"Applejack!Applejack!Applejack!" Pinkie Pie yelled, banging on the door like a madwoman. The Gaian sighed as she pulled it open, finding Pinkie just standing there.

"What is it now Pinkie?" Applejack asked.

"You gotta come quick! There's this big nasty storm about to destroy Eravil and Dashie needs help!" Pinkie said quickly before running off.

"An where are you goin'?!" Applejack called after her as she grabbed her lasso and hat.

"To get the others!" Pinkie called back, already past the orchard and out of sight. Applejack stared across her home with wide eyes, seeing the massive storm that was building over Eravil and stretching towards Sweet Apple Acres.

"Oh no..."


"Sounds like its gonna rain." Spike mumbled as he washed the dishes from their light breakfast.

"Another reason to stay inside and study." Twilight reasoned. That was until Pinkie burst through her door and grabbed her by the hand, dragging her outside before she could be scolded for running in a library, amongst other things Twilight had scolded her for before.

"Come with me! There's no time to explain!" Pinkie giggled

"I've always wanted to say that, hehe."

"Pinkie let go! What..." Twilight stared up at the sky with wide eyes, dropping her favorite mug.

"What is going on?" Twilight asked.

"This big ol nasty storm blew in from over the Everfree forest. Dashie is in it somewhere!" Pinkie panicked.

"Calm down Pinkie Pie. Rainbow Dash is a Skyborn, a very powerful one at that. I think she can handle a storm."

"GAHHHH!" Rainbows screams could be heard faintly over the boom of thunder and clash of lightning.

"But maybe we should help, just in case." Twilight gulped.

"How are we suppose to do anything though?" Pinkie pouted.

"Well...You're a Gaian. You could probably jump up there, but that wouldn't help if you can't manipulate the cloud like Rainbow can. I could try and snare it in my magic, but its too big for me to do it alone."

"Perhaps I can be of assistance then darling." Rarity said with a smile, her eyes glowing brightly. Twilight smiled and sighed in relief.

"With the two of us I think we can push it back. But if even Rainbow can't handle it alone then we might need an extra hand."

"How 'bout two?" Applejack asked with a tilt of her hat.

"Woo-wee, that's a biggun fer sure. Ya'll think my lasso can hold it?" Applejack asked Pinkie.

"Won't know til ya try!" the baker giggled.

"Alright then. Pinks, since ya'll run faster than a scared jackrabbit ah'm gonna have ya do somethin fer me. Ah'm gonna grab that there cloud and ah want ya t' run as fast as ya can t' th' forest with it." Applejack said. Pinkie nodded and gave a salute.

"We'll help." Twilight said, throwing up her arms along with Rarity. The two chanted loudly, calling to the mana that surrounded and flowed through them and wrapping it around the storm.

"Its too big Twilight. I don't think this is going to be enough." Rarity said as she strained to push the storm back.

"Keep trying Rarity! We've got to stop this before it gets ugly." Twilight said through gritted teeth. Applejack meanwhile spun her rope about in the air before flinging it at the edge of the storm, grinning as it latched on snugly. The other end was tied around Pinkie like a harness, waiting for her to pull the storm back to Everfree.

"Alright Pinkie! Go!" Applejack yelled. Pinkie Pie's body began to glow as her runes came to life, the baker kicking off with the power of a train towards the forest and slamming face first into the dirt, burying herself halfway into the ground.

"Sheesh, that's a stubborn storm." Applejack mumbled as she plucked Pinkie Pie out of the ground.

"Owie..." Pinkie whined. She blinked as Fluttershy placed a bandage on her cheek.

"Hi Shy! Wait, why are you outside? I thought you were scared of thunder, and lightning, and big clouds, and your shadow, and..." Pinkie stopped as Applejack put a hand over her mouth.

"Ah think she gets it Pinkie."

"Well, um...I-I wanted to help. I heard Rainbow over the storm a-and...well..." she lowered her head

"Well, ah think ya'll might have better luck than us Shy. Me an Pinks strength is nothin t' that there storm. Twi and Rare are givin it all they got but it ain't budgin'. It looks like its up t' you an Dash." Applejack said.

Fluttershy gulped and nodded as her wings came to life. She rose into the air slowly, taking slow breaths and letting out a squeak as the cloud rumbled.

"Keep going Fluttershy! You can do this!" Pinkie cheered. She nodded meekly and continued upward, her eyes wide as Rainbow came into view. Her friend roared as she rolled about in the air, battling a massive monster in the clouds.

In one hand it held a massive bolt of lightning, fashioned like a spear. In the other it carried a large hammer, trying to smash the prismatic Skyborn out of the air. Rainbow rolled around the hammer, chanting loudly and throwing out her arm, one of the orbs that flew around her shifting into a lightning blade, the other shifting into a shield of ice and surrounding her arm.

She roared as she dove towards the beast, twisting through the air and raising her shield to block the bolt as she slashed his arm with her sword. The beast roared in frustration, bringing up its knee and halting Rainbow in her tracks.

As she was knocked into the air from the blow the beast raised his hammer, bringing it down onto her back and sending her into the cloud below. Fluttershy was frozen in shock and fear, unable to move or speak as it turned its attention to her.

It hefted the spear of light over its head and chucked it towards her, Fluttershy merely hovering there as it soared for her. She managed to scream and throw up her arms as the bolt neared her. She hovered there, expecting to be scorched or torn to shreds.

Slowly she lowered her arms, finding her friend in front of her with both hands on the bolt, her hair standing on end and her eyes glowing brightly as she screamed and crushed the bolt in her hands. Fluttershy stared with wide eyes as her friend hovered in front of her panting heavily.

"Shy...you...alright?" she asked, her voice echoing as mana tore its way through her.

"R-Rainbow, I'm fine but..what about you? I-is that...Mana?" she squeaked as Rainbow glanced over her shoulder.

"Shy, get to safety. I don't know what this thing is. But its tough. I'm gonna have to go all out on it. I don't want anyone to see this." she said softly.

"I-I'm not leaving you here!" Fluttershy argued. Rainbow smiled and hugged her, pinching just above her neck and causing her to squeak as her wings vanished.

"Sorry Shy." she whispered, dropping her. Fluttershy screamed as she fell, blinking as she landed on a small cloud. It drifted down towards the ground where her friends waited, surrounding her as tears filled her eyes.

"Shy! what happened?!" Twilight asked. She shook her head, curling up into a ball, unable to stop the tears from flowing.

"She's been Nullified..." Rarity gasped, noticing Fluttershy's Avaros marking was dulled.

"How??" Applejack asked, Fluttershy simply shook her head again.

"Now isn't the time for questions. Now is the time to help our friend." Rarity said, pulling Fluttershy to her feet and hugging her gently.

"I'll take care of Fluttershy. Maybe you can find a way up there." Rarity said to Twilight. The Magian sighed as she looked up, the storm flickering as if it was ready to burst at any minute.

"Applejack...hows your throwing arm?" Twilight asked.


Rainbow swore under her breath as she pinched the nerve just above Fluttershy's neck. A weak spot of Skyborn. She wouldn't be able to fly for at least an hour, but it was better than what she was about to do. She doubted her friend would ever forgive her for Nullifying her, but it had to be done. Combat just wasn't Fluttershy's thing.

Turning around Rainbow sighed and raised her arms, calling to the mana in the air as the monster ran towards her. It raised its fist and she threw up her arm, casting a barrier in the way, roaring as she flew forward and slashed at it again and again with her lightning blade, another barrier flying up to knock back its hammer.

Glancing over her shoulder she saw Twilight just above the storms edge with one arm out. The Magian fell, only to appear again and cast another barrier around Rainbow who had been shocked to see a Magian this high in the air.

The barrier managed to save her from suffering a blow from the beasts hammer, embedding her in the cloud below. The beast raised a foot to smash her only for Twilight to reach out with her magic and pull her out of the way. She wasn't sure how the Magian was doing it, but she was grateful.

Rolling onto her feet she roared as she ran forward once more, blinking as Twilight appeared in front of her.

"Sorry Dash!" she screamed as she threw her arms around her and teleported. The two found themselves on the ground below.

"What the heck Twilight!? I almost had it!" Rainbow fumed.

"No you didn't. That's a Storm Mason. All you're doing is feeding it!" Twilight argued.

"What?" Rainbow asked

"A storm mason. They normally live in mountains and craft snow storms, but this...I don't understand how this could happen." Twilight sighed.

"So how do we stop it?" Rainbow asked.

"Well, you can manipulate weather. Applejack can throw pretty well, Pinkie's a good catcher, and I've got magic." Twilight pointed out.

"What?" Rainbow asked again


"My throwin arm'? Well shoot, pretty darn good ah s'pose. Why?"

"I need you to throw me up there so I can see whats going on."

"Ya'll wanna run that by me again Sparkle? Did ya'll jus' ask me t' throw ya?"

"Yes, straight up towards the edge there."

"Unless ya plan t' sprout wings ah ain't doin it. How in th' heck are ya expectin' t' get down in one piece?"

"I'll need you two to catch me and throw me back up." Twilight said, nodding to Pinkie.

"This is insane, ya know that right?" Applejack asked as she bent down and cupped her hands.

"I know. But its all we've got. On three...one...two...three!" Twilight kicked off as Applejack tossed her with all her strength, the Magian soaring through the air and blinking as she caught sight of the Storm Mason battling Rainbow...who was using magic to fight it.

Don't be silly Twilight. She's an Avaros, that magic has to be from her Element. She has the armor on...somehow. I'll have to ask how she did that later. Oh crap falling!

Twilight bent her knees as she fell, Pinkie launching under her and cupping the Magian's heels before tossing her back up. On this launch Twilight managed to focus, chanting under her breath and casting a barrier in front of Rainbow to block the smiths attack.

Again she fell with Applejack skidding to a stop below her and catching her one handed, chucking her back into the air like a spear. Twilight managed to throw a barrier around her friend and pull her out of the way of the Smiths foot before she fell again with Pinkie chucking her back into the air.

"Whoopee! This is fun!" Pinkie giggled.

"Focus Pinkie!" Applejack scolded her, keeping her eyes on Twilight, at least until she vanished into thin air.

"Where'd she go?!" Applejack panicked, Pinkie tapping her shoulder and pointing next to them where Twilight stood with Rainbow.


"You know you're insane right?" Rainbow said as Twilight finished explaining how a Magian could fly. The storm above them began to shake and rumble, lighting up briefly as a bolt of lightning crashed down next to them, just barely missing them. Twilight threw up a barrier around them, the next bolt striking it instead of them and coiling around the barrier before sinking into the ground.

"Its too strong." Twilight panted.

"Its gotta have a weakness. C'mon Twi', how can we beat this?" Rainbow asked. Twilight glanced over at her and the two orbs swirling around her.

"We can't...but you can. It feeds off the lightning its cloud home generates and uses it as a source of power and to craft its storms. If you can cut off its source of power..."

"Then it won't have anything to trash the town with. Awesome! How do I do that?"

"You'll have to absorb the lightning yourself." Twilight said softly. Rainbow Dash blinked.

"Oh. This is not gonna be fun."

"Are ya'll nuts? Ah get she can take a lickin, but how's she s'pose t' take in THAT much lightnin an live?!"

"Relax AJ. I got this." Rainbow winked, launching straight up through a hole in Twilights barrier that closed the moment she was through.

"It'll be ok Applejack. Being a Skyborn she can channel that energy into other clouds before it can cause her any real harm and it'll dissipate harmlessly." Twilight assured her.

"What if she can't find no clouds to 'channel that energy' into?" Applejack asked. Twilight fell silent, hoping her friend would be okay.


"I'm an idiot." Rainbow Dash scolded herself as she flew straight towards the Storm Mason, flipping over it and slamming both feet into the back of its head, sending it stumbling forward. Before it could turn she was already flying off towards the head of the storm cloud. In the center sat the Masons Forge with the majority of the lightning channeled into it.

"One Human Battery, comin up!" Rainbow gulped as she dived into the Forge and grabbed hold of the bolts. She threw her head back and screamed as she called on her magic, using it to pull the energy of the lightning into herself.

In the distance she could hear the Storm Mason running towards her and gripped the bolts tighter, gritting her teeth as her leg spasmed from a rogue bolt. She glanced through the corner of her eye, seeing the Storm Mason getting closer.

"COME ON!" She screamed, blinking as the bolts came free of the Forge and sat in her hands. The rumbling slowly began to die down, the Storm Mason standing before her and roaring as it raised its hammer. She gasped, raising up her arms to protect herself, the hammer bouncing off the bolts she held.

"Whoah." She mumbled, grinning as she hovered in front of him.

"That's right, not so tough without your big bad bolts huh?!" she taunted, twirling them in her gloved hands. With one last angered shout the Mason turned away and vanished into a puff of cloud. Rainbow simply stared, still holding both bolts and hovering in mid-air, not even noticing the storm fading away from around her.

"WHOO! Way to go Dashie!" Pinkie cheered from below, snapping her out of her daze. She slowly lowered herself to the ground, her wings vanishing as she stood there.

"Rainbow...are you ok?" Twilight asked as the Skyborn hung her head.

"I dunno Twilight..." she mumbled, staring at the bolts she held in each hand. Any normal Skyborn would've been fried from that much raw lightning flowing through them. But her magic and probably her Element, had kept her safe.

But what was she to do with them now? She mentally shrugged and without thinking tucked them into her belt, her armor glowing and fading into the Element of Loyalty around her neck, taking the bolts with it.

"That was...amazing Rainbow. How did you summon your powers?" Twilight asked excitedly.

"I don't know!" Rainbow yelled suddenly, causing her friends to flinch.

"Sorry, I just...I never asked for any of this crap." she grumbled.

"I-I'm sorry Rainbow Dash. I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I knew I should've gone alone into the Forest..." Twilight sighed.

"Wait, what? You think I'm upset about that? Geez Twilight, for an egghead you really are stupid." Rainbow chuckled. Twilight just stood there, a look of pure confusion plastered across her face.

Rainbow sighed and held up her hand, a little ball of light appearing in it. Twilight blinked, and then blinked again. Her friends had begun to notice it was a pattern of hers, something that happened when she was on the brink of realization.

"You're a Magian?!" Twilight gasped. Now it was Rainbow's turn to explain how a Magian could fly. It was going to be a long day. At least it was sunny outside.

PreviousChapters Next