• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 9,581 Views, 504 Comments

Discovering Friendship - Saro0fdemonz



Twilight Sparkle, aspiring student of Princess Celestia has been tasked with the most difficult challenge a Magian must face. Making friends. Along the way she will discover what it means to truly be a friend and uncover a power unlike any other.

  • ...
38
 504
 9,581

PreviousChapters Next
Episode Five: The Burden of Honesty

Spike gasped as Twilight tackled him to the ground, crying into his chest as she clung to him.

"Oh Spike, I was so worried! Wait, did you say you were going to teach us?" she blinked, wiping away her tears.

"Yea...I did. And I'm pretty much a Dragon, Twilight. Not much leaves a mark on me." he chuckled.

"Spike, no offense buddy, but what do you know about this harmony stuff?" Rainbow asked. Spike sighed, waiting until Twilight allowed him to continue. Now on his feet he looked around the room.

"Since the day I was born, I was nothing but a second class citizen. Just a thing in the streets. No one would care about me, no one would give me a home. And then the Princess found me, just dying on some corner and gave me a chance." Spike smiled at the Princess.

"Spike, you don't have to do this."

"But I do Princess. I saw first-hand what we are dealing with and so did you. Its time to tell the truth." Spike reasoned.

"Wh-what truth?" Twilight asked. Spike sighed, resting a hand on his sword and flicking back his coat, revealing Celestia's coat of arms patched over his heart.

"I am Sir Spike Swiftshrike of Celestia's Elite Guard, entrusted with the safety of the Magian Twilight Sparkle." Spike intoned, smoke drifting from his nostrils. Each of them had a somewhat different reaction. Rarity swooned and fainted, Rainbow just stared while Pinkie continued to blink repeatedly. Fluttershy squeaked while Applejack just chuckled. Twilight stammered and leapt to her feet.

"Entrusted with my safety?! B-But I've been watching after you since I was..."

"Fourteen years old, fresh under the care of Princess Celestia. Twilight, I'm a dragon. I age differently than you do. I look like a kid, but i'm old enough to be your big brother." Spike told her, leaving her to stammer and pace.

"I can't believe I never realized that." Twilight mumbled. "Why did you hide this from me?"

"Because taking care of me made you better at magic. You learned how to be kind to a stranger and to take them in and love them the same way you do with mana." Spike explained. Twilight wanted to be angry, wanted to argue, but the reasoning was solid, if not painful. She sank to her knees, holding out her arms.

"C-can I just have a hug a-and pretend your my little assistant for a few moments?" she whispered. Spike threw his arms around her, hugging her tightly.

"I am your little assistant Twilight and I'm always gonna be. Thats never gonna change, not if I can help it. But I'm also the little guy thats suppose to keep you safe until the day I'm not needed."

"B-But I need you..." Twilight mumbled.

"Then I'm not going anywhere." he promised.

"Ah uh...don't mean t' break up th' moment. But can someone please explain whats going on?" Applejack asked.

"I have trained Spike since he was but a boy in the streets to be one of the best Celamont has to offer. There are only four among my Elite Guard, Spike being among them. And he was the only one I could trust to watch over Twilight." she glanced over at her student.

"She truly is the most gifted Magian I have ever seen...and I fear dearly for her life." Celestia sighed.

"Okaaaay, now I'm confused...." Pinkie grumbled.

"Yes, I must agree with Pinkie." Rarity tossed in.

"Twilight Sparkle, my protege, is the descendent of the Great Starswirl the Wise, and her magical talent far surpasses his and if left unchecked, could cause immeasurable damage to herself and all of those around her. Her lessons and Spikes unwavering eye were a requirement in keeping her safe." Celestia paused for a moment, folding her hands in her lap.

"Her magical trail can be easily picked up by even the weakest caster because of its intensity, making her a viable target for many of my enemies."

"I-I'm a target? Why?! I didn't do anything! I didn't ask for this!" Twilight shouted, her eyes wide as Rainbows hands rested on her shoulders from behind.

"We all get the short end of the stick sometimes Twi. Sometimes you just gotta roll with what ya got, and what you've got, is seven of the greatest friends a girl could ask for." she said with a smile, directing her attention to everyone in the room. Twilight smiled, taking a shuddering breath and nodding.

"We can do this...together."


A good nights rest, with one Dragon-kin and several covert guards stalking the town of Eravil later, the girls and their teacher stood in a field at Sweet Apple Acres, ready for lesson one.

"The Elements of Harmony are bound to the qualities they signify. Rainbow Dash unlocked the power to call her Element at will by remaining Loyal to her friends and to this town, no matter the consequence to herself." Spike said as he started pacing in front of them, his cloak flowing within the gentle breeze.

"By proving to your Element that you are deserving of it, you will be granted its powers to defend yourself."

"well how the heck are we s'pose t' prove t' these things we're worthy of em? Ah'm as Honest as a gal can be an ah ain't gussied up like Rainbow." Applejack pointed out.

"The Elements aren't just trinkets Applejack. Souls of the greatest heroes of the realm reside within them. Heroes who have given their power to the greatest heros throughout time, including Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. The spirits within these need proof that you can handle the power they offer you." he explained.

"Rainbow, could you demonstrate please?" Spike asked. The weather flier shrugged, her armor glowing as it came to life around her.

"When you call to it, what do you feel?" he asked.

"I feel...like I could do anything...would do anything, no...Will do anything, to keep my friends safe. I feel like I'd sooner die then abandon them." Rainbow said proudly.

"Those are the true feelings in your heart, and are reflected by the Element you wear and thats why your armor comes to you so easily. Why its powers bind themselves to you." he smiled as he turned to the others.

"All you need is those feelings you originally had when you fought Nightmare Moon. That strength and determination is the key."

"I don't feel like its quite that simple Spikey. It was all a spur of the moment thing darling. Our friend was in trouble and everything happened so fast."

"Then maybe we need to recreate that." Spike said, drawing his sword, rushing towards Twilight, Rainbow meeting him halfway and raising her arm to catch the blade.

"What the heck Spike?! I thought you were our friend!" she yelled.

"And thats why I have to do this." Spike said softly, rolling around Rainbow and shoving Twilight into Rarity, leaping over a punch from Applejack, his sword finding its way into its sheath as he bounced around Pinkie Pie's wildly flying arms.

"Whoo, that kids' squirrelier then that bunny o' yers Shy." Applejack mumbled.

"Um...he's a year older than me." Fluttershy mumbled back. Spike flung off his cloak, his arms and legs shifting.

"One doesn't become Captain of the Elite Guard overnight girls." He said simply.

"You're the Captain?!" Twilight gasped.

"Yes, I am. And I was nowhere near a match for the Chaotician. If you can't beat me, he'll devour you." he roared as he leapt for Applejack, smashing his leg into her rune-covered arm, flipping over her, his hands firmly grasping her shoulders as he landed, hauling the farmer over himself.

Applejack was tough, she had fought off bandits and Timberwolves and would be suitors who were only looking to pry off her jeans. She refused to be tossed around by anyone. With a roar of her own Applejack spun with the throw, landing firmly on the ground and hooking her arms under Spike, bending backwards and smashing him firmly into the soil.

"Spike! Are you okay!?" Twilight gasped as she rushed over to him, gasping as he spun in place, Rainbow barely snatching the Magian away in time.

"Hey, he said he was Captain of the Princess' toughest guys Twi'. I doubt even Aj could clean that clock that easily." Rainbow said, keeping herself between Twilight and the Dragonkin turned enemy. Applejack panted slightly.

"C'mon then! Show me what they teach at those fancy fightin' schools in Celamont!" she taunted. Spike dusted himself off, removing his sheath and belt, stabbing the sheathed blade into the ground.

"You should have Pinkie tag along." he threw back.

"Spike! Rude!" Twilight scolded. Applejack removed her hat, placing it on a nearby tree limb.

"Hold on tight t' that fer me..." she whispered to the tree as she turned back to Spike, the runes etched across her skin glowing brightly as the Gaian rushed forward. Spike had spent many years in training, learning Spells, hand-to-hand combat, Swordplay, and much more.

One of his most important lessons was the weaknesses and strengths of Magians, Gaians, and Skyborn. Most Gaians relied on the strength of their fists, leaving the legs as an easy target. Applejack was not most Gaians, she was Jacqueline Sunnydale Apple, and her strength was her legs.

Spike dove for her legs, getting a full on Shin to the face, sending him skidding across the ground on his back. Gritting his teeth as he dug his tail into the ground, flinging himself upright and kicking off the ground towards Applejack.

"WHEE!" Pinkie giggled as she tackled him, gasping as he rolled with the tackle and grabbed her arm, spinning in place and chucking her at Applejack. With what seemed like practice precision, the Apple farmer stepped to the side, catching the Pink clad Gaian by the collar of her shirt.

"Spike, ah've lived in Eravil a long time, an one thing a girl learns how t' do in this place, is Dodge Pinkie's hugs." she chuckled, setting her friend down. She blinked as the dragon-kin's eyes shifted, flames engulfing his arms and legs.

"Ready Pinks?" Applejack whispered. Pinkie nodded as she rolled her shoulders. Applejack grabbed her friend by the back of her shirt, roaring as she spun and chucked her at full-speed at Spike.

The cloaked figure tilted his head to the side, snatching Pinkie from the air by her ankle and bringing her to the ground out cold. He started to advance on Applejack, blinking as something snatched his ankles.

"GOTCHA!" Pinkie snorted, he had just enough time to look back up to see a fist smashing into his face, sending him sprawling through the dirt. It wasn't until he stopped moving that the two Gaians realized what they had done.

"Spike! Ah'm sorry, ah didn't mean t' hit ya so hard! Honest!" she cried out as she rushed to his side. The dragonkin groaned quietly as he sat up.

"Sweet Celestia that hurt..." he grumbled, putting a hand against his head. No wonder Celestia had put him through all those strength excersices. If his head had been any softer he wouldn't have it anymore! He blinked as a rag was placed on his forehead.

"Granny says if'n ya'll are gonna chase away all th' boys who come near that ya'll should be askin' em to leave instead of hittin em." a young girl said, keeping the cool rag pressed firmly against his head. Looking up he saw that she wore a red bow in her hair and a pair of blue overalls, a yellow shirt tucked in underneath, a pair of worn out sneakers clinging to her feet.

"Applebloom, this ain't what ya think it is. We were uh...trainin'. An things kinda got outta hand. Wait a minute, what are ya'll doin' out here anyway, don't ya'll have homework to do missy?" Applejack scolded. Applebloom pouted.

"Yes ma'am." she mumbled, marching toward the house atop the hill.

"She's nice. she your daughter?" Spike asked, Applejack blushing deeply and shaking her head.

"Wh-what!? N-No! Sh-she's my sister!" Applejack argued, the Element around her neck losing a bit of its luster. The friends fell silent as the farmer hung her head.

"C-can we talk 'bout this somewhere else?" she asked softly.


Sugarcube corner was completely silent and empty save for the seven friends who shared a table. Applejack stared at her Element, having removed it and placed it on the table.

"Ah ain't worthy o' this thing." she finally spoke up, clenching her fists.

"Of course you are darling! So you have a few lies hidden under your belt, who doesn't? Spikey spent his entire time with Twilight lying to her and they are still the best of friends. Not to say lying is good, but sometimes its necessary." Rarity pointed out.

"Yea...well it didn't have t' be that way...t' tell th' truth, ah was scared."

"Scared? But I've never seen you scared of anything Applejack!" Pinkie argued.

"Well this was a while back. Ah was jus' barely gettin' th' hang of tendin th' farm an...this fella caught my eye. Gods ah was a fool."


Several years ago

"Big Mac, look! Ah got one!" Applejack cheered, holding up her basket. In it sat a lone golden delicious apple.

"Ah told ya Aj, jus' takes hard work. Pa would be proud of ya." the elder sibling chuckled, ruffling her hair.

"Ah'm gonna get better, jus' watch me!" she beamed, the teenager taking a slow breath as she aimed at the tree, pivoting on her left foot and bringing her right leg up hard into the tree, smashing her shin into it. She cried out, stumbling away and holding her shin.

"Ow! ow ow ow ow ow!" she cried out, falling over and sighing as she lay in the grass.

"How 'bout ya'll lemme finish up and go check on Granny? Ah'm sure she needs some help with her pies." Big Mac rumbled, lightly tapping the same tree with his toes, the apples tumbling down into the buckets below. Applejack leapt to her feet, dusting off the dirt.

"Alright fine. but save me some o' th' easier ones!" she called as she ran home, snatching up her fathers hat on the way. Standing at the door to her home was a young man, a briefcase in hand and a look of worry on his face.

"Well howdy there, ya'll lookin' fer business 'round here?" Applejack asked, crossing her arms.

"Oh, hello young miss, are your parents about today?" the man asked.

"Ah ain't no young miss buddy. Ah help run this here farm ya know."

"My apologies, you seem so young."

"Ah'll have ya'll know ah'm jus' a late bloomer." Applejack grumbled. The man chuckled.

"Again, I apologize. You are one of the owners, yes? Then you are just the woman I need to speak to." he cleared his throat and tipped his hat, flashing a smile that could melt even the coldest of hearts.

"My name is Dusty. I'm a traveling man, bringing about as much joy as I can to every place I go. Now I came across a few hungry kids a bit of a ways down the road and told them I'd try my best to find them a meal before they starve. The poor things are so hungry they can't even walk. Would I be able to perhaps borrow a few of your wonderful apples to feed a few hungry children? I swear upon my dear mothers ashes I'll find a way to repay you." Dusty all but begged. Applejack gulped, fanning herself with her fathers hat.

"Well sure! Anythin' fer some hungry children. Ain't no need t' pay Mr Dusty. What ya'll are doin' is t' help a bunch o' young'uns who can't help themselves. Ah'll jus' grab a few of em an' we'll be on our way!" she said quickly.


"A' course, what ah didn't know is that there weren't no children goin' hungry. Dusty weren't even his real name. He was jus' some sweet talker lookin' fer a bit o' fun. An ah fell fer his trickery, hook line an sinker..." Applejack hung her head.

"Applejack. Darling, you were only trying to be helpful and do what the Apple Family does best. Being there for others." Rarity tried to comfort her, but the farmer only shook her head in shame.

"AJ, you were just bein' the Applejack we all know. Thats no reason to beat yourself up." Rainbow argued. The farmer shouted, smashing her fists into the table, causing it to crack and fall to the ground.

"Ah let that slimy little bastard take mah innocence an then ah lied t' my own daughter!" she screamed, tears streaming down her cheeks as she sobbed.

"Ah ain't any better than he was..."

"Thats enough Applejack!" Twilight yelled, causing the entire group to jump in surprise.

"I haven't known you very long, but I'd like to be able to think I could call you a friend." she continued, waiting until the teary eyed farmer nodded agreement.

"And in the time I've known you, all you've done is prove time and again how good of a person you are and that you always put whats best for everyone before whats best for yourself. Everyone makes mistakes Applejack, but we learn from them and we change for the better." Twilight finished.

"Yer right...ah jus'...ah jus' wish ah could take it all back..."

"Maybe you can." Fluttershy spoke up, hiding behind her hair.

"Why not just tell Applebloom?" she asked. The sweet shop fell silent once more.

"An then what? 'Oh Hi Applebloom, guess what? Ah'm yer mama, an yer pa is a rapist!'"

"She deserves to know. and as long as you keep this lie alive, you'll never unlock the power of your Element." Spike spoke up, heading outside to speak with a few guards. Applejack opened her mouth to speak, but could think of nothing to say. Blinking as Fluttershy put a hand on her shoulder.

"Its okay Applejack." she said softly. The farmer slowly broke down, burying her face in the hollow of the skyborns neck and letting the tears flow.

"Ah begged him t' stop...ah begged him t' let me go..ah wasn't gonna tell nobody!"

"I know Applejack, I know..." Fluttershy comforted her.


"Ya'll said they was around here Mr Dusty?" Applejack asked, looking left and right, bags full of apples in her arms, ready to feed several families if need be.

"I'm sure they were right here. Maybe a bit further down?" he suggested. Applejack nodded, following the man off the path and into the thicker part of the woods.

"This is quite a ways off th' path. Ya'll sure ya know where yer goin?" she asked.

"Oh I'm sure. This should be the perfect spot." he murmured.

"Perfect spot fer what?" Applejack wondered, gasping as the man turned and tackled her to the ground, the runes etched into his skin glowing brighter than Celestia's sun.

She gritted her teeth, her own runes glowing weakly as she struggled to fight back, the man smashing her head into the ground over and over until the glow faded. Dazed and in pain, she was helpless to stop the man as he tugged on her jeans, tearing them and using the fabric to tie her wrists.

"W-wait! what are ya doin'? What 'bout them children?!" Applejack shrieked, thrashing about, only to suffer a blow to the head.

"There aren't any children my dear, just one foolish little girl who is gonna show me a good time." he said, unzipping his pants. The young farmers eyes widened as she realized what he meant.

"NO! NO! PLEASE NO! SOMEONE HELP!" she screamed, kicking at him and trying to push to her feet, only to have the man pull her legs and pin her to the ground.

"Scream all you want. No one can hear you out here. Besides, I like it when they scream." he grinned, ripping her clothes away as the girl begged him to let her go.

"Please mister...ah won't tell no one...ah promise..."

"I know you won't. You're a good girl."


"Did no one know? Surely somebody could hear you out there, Eraville isn't that big." Rarity reasoned.

"He took me into the Whitetail woods. Deep in, jus' outside Sweet Apple Acres." Applejack sniffed.

"Them woods is so thick ya couldn't hear a gunshot if you was right outside. Let alone a girl...but somehow he heard..."

"Who?" they all asked. Applejack smiled as she wiped away her tears.


She laid there, crying and choking on the gag shoved into her mouth. Her attacker was taking a break, contemplating round two as he reached for the gag. He pulled it away, smiling as the girl sucked in the biggest breath of air she could and screamed for help. The man only chuckled.

"I already told you, no one is gonna hear..." CRACK....THUD. A tree arched down, falling painfully to the ground, fully torn apart at the bottom. Standing in its place was one Barnaby Macintosh Apple, Eldest of the Apples and one pissed off big brother. 'Dusty' barely had time to jump to his feet, tripping over his pants as the monster of a man barreled towards him, runes in full glow as he smashed his shoulder into the man with a sickening crunch and sent him flying straight into a nearby tree before kneeling down next to his sister.

"AJ? Are ya'll alright? Oh gods ah wasn't fast enough..."

"b-Big mac...y-ya'll heard me..." she cried, leaning against him as he hefted her up in one arm. Dusty pulled himself together and pulled up his pants.

"Who the hell do you think you are?!" Dusty screamed, his runes and eyes glowing. Macintosh glared at him, his runes glowing so bright the man had to cover his eyes.

"Ah am th' head o' th' Apple Family, here t' protect an guide em. An ya'll jus' pissed me off." the giant of a man rumbled. Dusty made the mistake of charging at him.


"It only took one punch...Ah ain't never seen Macintosh so mad. Th' authorities came 'round an Big Mac explained everythin' as best he could. Ah was a mess fer weeks. It was 'round then ah started showin' signs an...it ain't like th' Apples to end an innocent life. So...ah kept her. She was mine, even if that bastard had given her to me. But ah was young...they wasn't gonna let me keep her. So, with th' mayors help an some favors owed to us...we made her out to be my sister...an ah been livin with that lie my whole life..." Applejack finished.

"I know its hard, but you've got to tell her." Twilight said softly. Applejack sighed quietly.

"Ah know...ah jus' dunno how to do it." Applejack admitted.

"Why not throw her a party?" Pinkie suggested.

"A party?"

"Yea! The biggest, bestest party a girl could have! An then you can sit down with her and have one of those serious talks and just lay everything out on the table and settle it over cake!" Pinkie beamed.

"That...might work." Applejack mumbled.

"Good! I'll get started!" Pinkie giggled, vanishing in a poof of smoke into the kitchen.

"Well, I dunno if theres anything the rest of us can do to help, but if there is..." Rainbow started, falling silent as Applejack shook her head.

"No, ah gotta do this myself."


Applebloom sighed, glancing over her homework. Why was math so...mathy?

"Carry th' two an...no that ain't right..." she blinked as Big Mac leaned over her shoulder, his massive hand gently taking up a pencil and scribbling in a pattern of numbers.

"Remember this?" he rumbled softly. the youngest of the Apple family glanced over the numbers and smiled.

"Oh yea! Ah fergot...thanks Big Mac." she grinned, understanding the question a bit more as she continued. The Eldest gave her a simple nod, returning to the main room of their home to check on Granny Smith.

The old, wizened, and beloved grandmother of the Apples. He found her just as she had been a moment ago, sound asleep with a smile on her face as she rocked back and forth in her chair.

He quietly moved past her, sitting down on the old couch and glancing over a bit of paperwork, carefully working a nearby calculator to double check his own math. Sure enough his facts and figures came out correct.

"We'll need to really bring in the harvest this year..." he muttered, raising his head as the front door creaked open.

"Ah'm home." Applejack called out, grunting as Applebloom tackle-hugged her.

"Welcome home sis!" Applebloom beamed.

"Th-thanks Applebloom...say, how do ya feel 'bout goin t' a party?" she asked as she knelt down in front of her.

"But ah've got school tomorrow. Is this some kinda fancy test or somethin'?" Applebloom asked, crossing her arms. Applejack shook her head

"Ah swear it ain't no test. Ah seen ya workin' hard and Pinkie had an idea fer a party. Ah was wonderin' if ya'll wanted to go. It ain't gonna be so long that ya'll miss yer bed-time. But ah thought it might be fun."

"Well shoot! Sure ah do!" Applebloom cheered. Applejack chuckled, ruffling her hair as she stood.

"Alright, get yer shoes on then an we'll head out fer Sugarcube Corner."

"Can do!" the girl replied with a salute, rushing to her room.

"Ah recognize that face. Today the day?" Macintosh rumbled from the living room as he caught sight of his sisters face.

"Ah have t' tell her...Ah jus' wish ah had realized it sooner." Applejack answered

"Ah'm sure she'll understand. She's a smart girl an ya raised her right. She'll prolly be a might bit mad, but in th' end, things'll work out. Always do." Macintosh spoke, turning his attention back to the papers.

"Numbers are a bit down sis, gonna need a big haul this year." he murmured. Applejack sighed to herself and shook her head.

"We'll make it Macintosh. We always do."

"We didn't have Terra's safety on our backsides 'fore this." he pointed out.

"We'll figure somethin' out. Jus'..."

"Ah know Aj. Go on, do what ya need t' do. Ya know ah'll be here if'n ya need me."

"Thanks Macintosh..."


"Why do I have to do this?" Sweetie Belle whined, doing her best to stand still as Rarity fussed over a new dress design, using her younger sister as a model.

"Don't you want to look nice at the party? Perhaps you'll meet some charming young man." Rarity teased.

"I don't like any of the boys in class Rarity." she grumbled.

"Well, perhaps that friend of yours will notice how beautiful you look in this gown." the elder sister continued to tease.

"S-Scoots doesn't like pretty stuff." Sweetie Belle mumbled, her cheeks flushed red.

"Oh, so you do like her! Well then! What does she like?" Rarity pried.

"I-Its not like that!" she squeaked.

"Oh come now Sweetie Belle. I know romance when I see it. Now spill." Rarity demanded. Sweetie Belle sighed, twiddling her thumbs.

"She doesn't care for all the frilly stuff. She likes the way I usually dress...Do you really think she might like me?"

"And why wouldn't she? You're talented and adorable. Just try to be a little less nervous around her." Rarity advised. Sweetie Belle huffed, blinking as the dress around her poofed, appearing beside her in her sisters magic. She moved to step off of the pedestal, gasping as she was snagged by the arm and pulled to a chair.

"Ah ah ah. We HAVE to do something with your hair dear." Rarity tsk'd, running a comb through her younger sisters hair and applying a healthy dose of spray. The younger Magian pouted, settling for crossing her arms and waiting until the Elder sister had finished.

"And Voila! Well, you were adorable before, but now you look simply amazing!" Rarity gushed. Sweetie Belle glanced at herself in the mirror, blinking and staring.

"Oh wow...is that...me?" she asked, amazed at her reflection. Her normally curly swirl of hair was now straightened and combed over her left eye, the two colors shifting in and out of one another.

"You like?" Rarity asked as she put her tools away.

"Oh thank you Rarity!" Sweetie Belle squeaked, throwing her arms around her sister. Rarity smiled as she returned the hug.

"Of course, thats what Big sisters are for. Now try not to do anything to mess up your hair."


"Do you really think this could work?" Twilight asked as she helped decorate Sugarcube Corner.

"Parties solve everything Twilight!" Pinkie Pie assured her, pulling a balloon from behind her hair and filling it in a single puff of air.

"I guess I'm just worried...what if we get attacked in the middle of this?"

"Thats what Spikey is here for!" Pinkie argued, mixing a punch bowl halfway across the room. Twilight had long ago given up on trying to make sense of her Gaian friend. She suspected magic, but with so much else on her mind it was very low on her list of things that mattered.

A quick glance outside revealed Spike speaking to heavily armored guards. Most likely Celestia's very own personal Elite. Though that only worried her that much more. These were soldiers trained to protect the Princess in secret.

And they were here protecting the Elements instead. Were their lives really in so much danger? The guards saluted to Spike, vanishing into the very light of day itself with Spike standing Sentinel at the entrance to Sugarcube Corner, dressed in his street clothes. He didn't want to draw anymore attention than he already had.

She sighed to herself, glancing over at a nearby table where her Tiara sat. A useless trinket until she discovered how to appease to the Spirit of Magic. How was she suppose to do such a thing anyway?

She was magically gifted, that much was true. But she doubted doing a few impressive spells would convince a centuries old spirit she was deserving of its gift.

Rainbow had risked her very life to prove to the Spirit of Loyalty that she was worthy. Applejack was going to admit her darkest secret to the person it most mattered to as proof of her Honesty. With the way things were going, she was sure she would be the last to obtain her Element.

"Cheer up Twilight! You'll get your element thingy!" Pinkie cheered, tying a balloon around her wrist.

"Gee, thanks Pinkie." Twilight sighed. She sat down, staring at the balloon with her thoughts a blur. So lost in thought was she that for a moment she swore the balloon had been staring back.

"Are you alright?" Spike asked, causing her to jump in surprise.

"SPIKE! When did you get there?" Twilight gasped.

"Sorry. I thought...never mind." he mumbled, sitting across from her.

"Spike...why is this happening to us? Why can't we be normal?" Twilight asked.

"Fate, Destiny, whatever you wanna call it I guess. You're bloodline helps, and I'm Dragonkin. We don't live normal lives Twi." Spike answered, accepting a cupcake from Pinkie with a few sapphires mixed into the icing.

"So...I'm really..."

"Yup, the great great great granddaughter of Starswirl the wise. Greatest Arch-mage who ever lived. For the moment." He happily bit into the treat, crunching the jewels in his powerful jaws.

"For the moment? Is there another Arch-Mage as powerful as him?" Twilight continued to prod.

"Well...yes and no. I'm not suppose to say. Secrecy and safety and all that. There's at least one Chaotician on the loose. If he knew who the Arch Mage was...well, lets just say I was lucky to have my scales." Spike finished.

"We should finish getting the party ready. Hopefully this works."


"Look out below!" a voice cried out, followed by the sound of wheels smashing into pavement and screeching down the street. Said noise came from one Secilia Gumdrop. Otherwise known as Scootaloo.

Her actual name was a close guarded secret, not because of importance, but because she didn't want people knowing her name was 'Gumdrop'. It was way to girly for someone as awesome as her. Besides, she wasn't going to impress Sweetie Belle with a name like that.

She needed to be awesome, like her idol, Rainbow 'Danger' Dash. Sure, she was cool, she had some good tricks, but she wouldn't be truly awesome until she could fly. Then she'd show the whole world what she was made of.

"Oh look, its the chicken!" a girl called out from around a corner, causing Scootaloo to stumble and fall off her scooter.

"Wow, she even flaps like a chicken. What a loser!" another girl laughed, the two giggling as they marched on their way.

"Ugh...I hate those two." Scootaloo grumbled under her breath.

"Me too. But theres nothing we can really do about them." Sweetie Belle said from beside her, holding out her hand to help her friend up. Scootaloo stared for a moment, noticing her friends hair brushed over her eye and the sparkling red dress she wore.

"Uh...Belle what happened to you? Got a hot date I should know about? Is it Rumble?" Scootaloo teased. Sweetie Belle twiddled her thumbs, refusing to make eye contact as her friend dusted herself off.

"Do you think it looks good Scoots?" She asked, biting her lip.

"Pfft, its you Belle, of course it looks good. Now come on! We're gonna miss the party!" She grinned, tugging her friend onto her scooter and buzzing her wings quickly, the scooter zipping down the road with the girls in tow. Sweetie Belle hid a smile as she clung to her friend for dear life.


The youngest of the Apple clan sat alone at a table in Sugarcube corner, poking at a lone cupcake. She had been told to wait here with Pinkie Pie, no explanation or reason, and just left alone. It wasn't really anything new, she wasn't exactly the most popular girl in school and she didn't really have any friends.

Her last friend, Twist, had found her calling in Candy-making and never had time to hang out like they use to. She looked up as the bell to the front door rang, girls and boys from her class flooding into Sugarcube Corner. It only took a few seconds for Diamond Tiara and her lackey Silver Spoon to spot her.

"Aw crud." she muttered under her breath as the two practically raced over to her.

"Awww, is the little farmer sad? Whats wrong potato breath? No one wanna spend time with a dirt monkey like you?" Diamond teased.

"Wow, that was actually kinda clever Diamond, ah had no idea under all that hair ya'll had a brain in there." Applebloom tossed back, shoving her way past the bully. The pampered brat fumed as her target began to walk away. She glanced over her shoulder, finding the uneaten cupcake and hurled it as hard as she could at the back of Appleblooms head.

The cupcake landed with a satisfying SPLAT, but not on the person she meant to hit. Standing between Applebloom and the airborne treat was one very upset Sweetie Belle. The room fell silent as she wiped frosting from her dress and glared daggers at Diamond.

"HEY! At least have the guts to attack someone head-on! And you say I'm a chicken. Pfft, guess it takes one to know one." Scootaloo taunted, arms crossed and her wings spread as wide as she could get them. Diamond grit her teeth as the two stood up to her, murmurs filling the room.

No one stood up to Diamond Tiara, it was unthinkable and never ended well. But here stood two girls, staring her down with no intent of backing down. Maybe Diamond wasn't as tough as everyone thought, maybe she was just a brat. With this spreading through the room she needed to do something drastic. It was time to pull out her ace in the hole.

"Oh yea?! Well at least my parents love me!" she spat, the room falling silent. Scootaloo lunged in a rage, tackling Diamond to the ground and raising her fist, completely intent on doing as much damage as possible. She blinked as her arm refused to move and with a glance over her shoulder she found Applebloom gripping her arm and keeping her from landing the finishing blow.

"She ain't worth it." Applebloom said softly. Scootaloo looked back down at the terrified look in her preys eyes before dropping her. Sweetie Belle helped her friend to her feet, the three girls walking away.

"Y-Yea thats right! Y-You better run Chicken!" Diamond cried, still shaking from the ordeal. She hated to admit that Applebloom had saved her, but a minute later and her face would've been mush. She needed some muscle to keep her safe if she planned to stay on top.

"Ya'll didn't have t' do that ya know." Applebloom said, grabbing a napkin to clean up Sweetie Belle's dress.

"Yes I did. Its not fair how they treat everyone, but we all have someone to run to. You were all alone." she said softly. Applebloom froze, keeping her head down.

"Ah've always been alone, ain't no biggie."

"Its a big biggie!" Scootaloo argued, crossing her arms and grinning.

"Look, you aren't gonna be alone anymore. Names Scootaloo, toughest and fastest thing in Eravil, except for Rainbow Dash of course..." she introduced herself, falling into a sort of daze as she mentioned her idol. Sweetie Belle shook her head and smiled at their new friend.

"I'm Sweetie Belle. I don't really do much..." she admitted.

"Standin' up fer a total stranger seems like a lot t' me. Ah'm Applebloom, mah family owns Sweet Apple Acres."

"Whoa! You mean you live in that place?! Thats awesome!" Scootaloo gushed.

"Eh, its jus' home. Has been since mah Granny an her parents first came here. Its been family tradition that every Apple afterwards runs th' family farm. Someday its gonna be mine an...ah dunno if ah got what it takes." Applebloom sighed.

"Hey, you were tough enough to stand up to Diamond Tiara alone AND keep me from pounding her face in. I think you can handle whatever life chucks at you." Scootaloo shrugged.

"I agree with Scoots. Anyone who can stand up to those two alone has to be tough."

"You did it a minute ago Belle." Scootaloo pointed out.

"Oh, sorry 'bout yer dress an everythin'..." Applebloom apologized. Sweetie Belle shook her head and sighed.

"I-Its fine. My sister might throw a fit but she'll get over it." Sweetie Belle said, the three falling into a fit of laughter. Applebloom hardly noticed her sister and friends enter the sweet shop. It wasn't until Pinkie had popped up in front of her that everything clicked into place.

A banner fell from above with the words "Happy Extra Special Surprise Applebloom" written on it. A slice of cake was placed in front of her with a fanfare of confetti landing on top of her. Something weird was going on and she was gonna get to the bottom of it.

"Okay, ah'll bite, whats goin on? Am I dyin? Did Winona fall off a cliff?" Applebloom asked, wiping confetti out of her hair. Applejack bit her lip and sat down.

"Girls, do ya mind givin' us a minute?" the elder sister asked. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo glanced at one another, turning to their new friend.

"Ah'll catch up with ya later." Applebloom said with a smile. The two gave a nod before migrating to a table in the corner of the store. Applejacks friends each passed by her, giving her shoulder a squeeze before vanishing into the crowd.

"Applebloom, 'fore ya get all scared an whatnot, ain't nuthin bad happenin' t' ya. Ah actually have some good news, its jus' a bit hard t' say..."

"...Are ya pregnant?" Applebloom blurted out.

"What?! No! What would make ya think that?!"

"Well ya were kinda actin funny an all secretive. An ah hear ya cryin sometimes...ah thought maybe ya'll found someone special an it didn't work out." Applebloom explained. Applejack could only stare, trying to work her mouth and failing miserably.

"Applebloom, th-that ain't it. I-Its 'bout yer ma." Applejack said softly.

"My mama? Ya told me she died when ah was little...i-is she okay? D-Did she jus' run away or somethin? Ah promise ah won't be mad at her!" Applebloom blinked as Applejack grabbed her hands.

"Applebloom, ah'm yer mama."

PreviousChapters Next