• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 9,584 Views, 504 Comments

Discovering Friendship - Saro0fdemonz



Twilight Sparkle, aspiring student of Princess Celestia has been tasked with the most difficult challenge a Magian must face. Making friends. Along the way she will discover what it means to truly be a friend and uncover a power unlike any other.

  • ...
38
 504
 9,584

PreviousChapters Next
S2 EP 1: Here They Come

"487...488...489..." Rainbow breathed as she lifted herself up once more, Scootaloo sitting cross legged on her back as the Skyborn continued her push-ups. Her body ached, her bandages felt like they were about to snap off and her vision was a bit blurry, but she refused to have it any other way. She was a lean mean fighting machine and planned on staying that way.

Especially after... She grit her teeth as the memory of Twilight being trapped in flames played back in her mind. She felt her muscles tighten as she rushed the last few push-ups.

"500!" Rainbow groaned out, blinking as she found a bottle of water hovering in front of her face. Out of the corner of her eye she spotted Twilight reading several tomes Luna had given her, her eyes glowing dimly as she held out the bottle of water and kept the books hovering in the air before her. As an added measure to her own method of training, Twilight held herself in the air within her magic, trying to use as little mana as possible for her multi-tasking.

Rainbow grinned, laying flat on her stomach and snatching the bottle out of the air, pouring the contents over her head and sputtering a bit.

"Alright Squirt, up an at em. I gotta stretch" Rainbow called out. Scootaloo nodded, getting off of her back and jumping in surprise as Rainbow rolled backwards and performed a quick kip-up. The older skyborn rolled her shoulders, wincing as her muscles burned. She grinned as she glanced at Twilight, the Magian quickly stuffing her nose back into her books.

"It's alright to stare at awesomeness Twi'" Rainbow chuckled, a crumpled up paper bouncing off her head. Rainbow simply shrugged and turned her smirk to Scootaloo.

"Hey Squirt, how's that girl of yours?" she teased. Scootaloo blushed and chuckled nervously.

"She's uh...pretty attached to Rarity at the moment. I haven't seen her much since they let you guys outta the hospital..." she mumbled. Rainbow frowned, crossing her arms and glancing at Twilight. The Magian smiled, her feet touching the ground silently and her books closing around her.

"You know what we need? A nice walk into town." Twilight said as she marched past them, her books stacking themselves atop her table. She winced slightly, pausing for a moment and leaning against a bookshelf.

"You okay?" Rainbow asked softly, putting a hand on her shoulder. Twilight only smiled, patting her hand gently.

"I'm fine. Just a bad headache. I guess I overdid things a bit." she chuckled, grabbing her bag and slinging it over her shoulder.

"How about a trip to sugarcube corner? On me" Twilight smiled at both of them. Scootaloo bounced up and down excitedly. Rainbow frowned for a moment, watching Twilight and Scootaloo head for the door. She didn't know much about magic, not as much as Twilight anyway. But she did know what 'overdoing it' felt like.

Twilight glanced over her shoulder and smiled.

"Are you coming Rainbow?" She asked. The Skyborn sighed, putting on a smile of her own as she tucked her hands into her shorts. She could question Twilight later, right now, relaxing was probably the best thing to do.


One week ago

Fluttershy bit her lip as she and the others were led into one of Celestia's meeting rooms.

"This room is normally reserved for the Knights only..." Velvet said as she walked past them. Twilight opened her mouth to speak, her mother shaking her head.

"We'll talk later, I promise." Velvet said softly, nodding her head to the table. Twilight frowned, but nodded, making her way to the table with her friends. Celestia and Luna soon entered along with a woman in a cloak, carrying an injured bunny in her arms.

"Angel!" Fluttershy cried, rushing towards him, though Luna blocked her path.

"I apologize Fluttershy, but there are more important matters. Your sibling will recover from this, but he has a debt to repay." Luna explained. Rainbow smashed her fist into the table, glaring at the Princess.

"I thought we agreed there wouldn't be any experiments!" she yelled.

"And we shall stand by our word. The boy offered us knowledge for the safe return of his sister. As you can see, she is safely with us once more. We have kept our word and now he must keep his. Would you rather we left him dying as you did?" Luna asked of Rainbow. The Skyborn gritted her teeth as she sat back down.

"If I'd known he was there..." Rainbow started, silenced as Luna raised an eyebrow.

"It doesn't matter now. Everyone is safe, let us leave it at that." Celestia interjected before taking a seat. All eyes turned to Fluttershy, who reluctantly took her seat and lowered her head.

"First and foremost...I want it to be known that we harbor no ill will towards you Fluttershy. The Element of Kindness chose you for a reason. And if that weren't enough..." Celestia smiled, passing her eyes over everyone in the room.

"...these five all support you. I doubt we could arrest you even if we wanted to." Celestia chuckled, though her mirth soon faded away.

"But that doesn't change what has happened. Lives have been lost...others have been ruined...and many others have scars that will never heal..." Celestia glanced at Twilight for a moment before nodding to Luna.

"It is because of all of this that we will be keeping an eye upon you dearest Fluttershy. You need not worry, we do not intend to invade thy personal life or personal space. But until certain matters can be taken care of...such as your health...we will be watching you." Luna spoke up.

"As for the rest of you. Go home, get some rest, forget your duties and just live your lives." Celestia all but begged.

"Heh, really? After all o' that nonsense we went through, ya'll think we're jus' gonna quit?" Applejack asked, crossing her arms.

"I must agree. We've been through too much to simply quit. Although, perhaps some relaxation is in order, but we will still be ready to do what we must. Right girls?" Rarity turned to her friends with a smile, all of them nodding agreement.

"I don't understand..." Fluttershy interrupted. The Skyborn shook with silent sobs as she shook her head.

"How can you all just forget what I've done? What I am?" she demanded, looking at each of them.

"All of this is my fault. I could've said something, or maybe done something or..."

"No you couldn't." the cloaked figure stopped her. The woman lowered her hood, revealing herself to be Trixie, the magician who had attacked them. Twilight reacted instantly and without thinking, her magic lashing out to knock out the Magician. She was rather surprised when Trixie deflected her spell with little effort, keeping her eyes focused on Fluttershy.

"You had no choice...If you had chosen any other path...Master would've destroyed you as he almost did to many of us upon failure. You defended us from his wrath, made him treat us with respect, even if it was fake. Trixie cannot thank you enough. It is thanks to you and your friends that Trixie can live her life." The Magician continued.

"And if a useless little girl like Trixie can become a student of a Princess...then Trixie doesn't see why you cannot be forgiven for crimes that pale in comparison to Trixie's record." Trixie smiled, turning her attention to Twilight who was still holding on to her magic.

"Twilight Sparkle. In our first encounter, you were far more than a match for Trixie. Trixie fought for the wrong reasons then. But one day Trixie will have her rematch." The Magician grinned and snapped her fingers, vanishing from the room. Luna hid a smile as the girls murmured amongst themselves over what had just happened.

"I assure you, Trixie is a changed woman...just as I am." Luna spoke up, causing the room to fall silent. She cleared her throat and cast her gaze around the table.

"Please understand...we do not ask thee to give up thy titles or duties. We merely ask that you all rest and recover and try to forget your troubles until the Elements are needed once more."

The girls all looked at one another for a moment. Ever since they had become the bearers of Harmony their lives had been turned upside down. Would it be possible to just go back to a normal life?

"why don't you girls think it all over after some dinner?" Velvet suggested, the Magian vanishing and several maids entering the room, carting trays of food along with them.


Dinner came and went in a rather awkward silence. Everyone was too tired to do anything more than head to their given room for the night and rest. Rainbow however was anxious, as was Twilight. Both for different reasons however. Twilight lay in one of the many beds in the large room they were sharing with her thoughts racing.

Spike and her own mother...She was left with so many questions and so few answers. Meanwhile, Rainbow sat on a bed across from Twilight, watching her friend toss and turn.

Her eyes were drawn to the bandage around her hand and the few covering up her burns. Sure, she had gotten a bit roughed up too...but Twilight and the others had shielded her from most of it. Twilight's barriers, Pinkie Pie's incredible fighting, and Applejack's grim determination...and of course Fluttershy buying them time.

And Rarity kept Twilight's complicated as shit spell going...Geez...did I even do anything? Rainbow wondered as she watched Twilight finally relax.

In the end I was just a punching bag...and Twilight was hurt. She clenched her fists and shook herself.

I refuse to be weak, I refuse to watch the people I care about get hurt again! Just you watch Twilight...I'm gonna protect you, no matter what


Twilight groaned as she sat up, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. Her head felt like it was about to explode and her body ached all over.

Guess that's what I get for trying to be a hero. she chuckled to herself.

"Good morning Twilight" a voice echoed in front of her. Twilight lowered her hands, staring with wide eyes as a cloaked figure hovered in front of her. All around her was nothing but white; stretching on into nothingness.

"I'm...not awake, am I?" Twilight asked as she stood.

"Yes...and no. Not really, but at the same time, yes." the woman answered.

"That's not much of an answer...and who are you anyway?" Twilight demanded. The woman simply lifted her hand, symbols appearing around Twilight and flinging her into the abyss. Twilight screamed as she sat up in her bed, causing her friends to topple out of their beds nearby.

"What in tarnation?!" Applejack gasped, groaning loudly as she hit the ground.

"wheee!" Pinkie giggled as she rolled off her bed. Rainbow zipped into the air at the sound of screaming, clenching her fists and looking every which way. Rarity was still sound asleep, as was Fluttershy.

All eyes turned to Twilight, who had hugged her knees to her chest, hyperventilating and trying to calm herself with long deep breaths. Her friends quickly surrounded her, all trying to help but only making things worse.

"I'M FINE!" Twilight yelled, her eyes glowing and a barrier throwing her friends away from her. She gasped and leapt to her feet

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that I just..."

"Twi, chill. We've all done some crazy stuff after a nightmare. I kicked Soarin in the junk once when he was tryin' to snap me outta one." Rainbow interrupted, offering her friend a smile.

"Rainbow's right Sugarcube. Jus'...give us a bit of a warnin' next time." Applejack winced as she stood back up

"What kinda nightmare was it? Were there evil flying cupcakes?!" Pinkie gasped as she bounced in front of Twilight.

"What? No. It was..." she blinked, realizing she couldn't even recall the nightmare.

"I don't know what it was actually...I don't really remember any of it..." Twilight admitted, putting a hand against her head.

"Eh, probably for the best. Don't want it haunting you." Rainbow smiled, patting her shoulder. Twilight nodded, but the fear of what had been there still clung to her mind.


"I'm worried Princess..." velvet admitted as the two shared a small breakfast.

"It is only natural to worry about ones children." Celestia tried to sooth her friend.

"What if...what if she's never the same? What if he got in her head?" Velvet continued to panic.

"Magic will be there for her, just as she was there for me. I won't lie to you...if his magic has indeed entered her mind...it will be a trial in itself for her to endure the madness...but I have great confidence in her and her friends." Celestia smiled, sipping her tea.

"Is there nothing we can do?" Spike asked from his post at the door, his eyes never leaving the hall.

"There is nothing WE can do, but YOU can be there for her as you always have." Celestia pointed out, setting her cup down and standing.

"There is much to be done. My duties won't wait just because I ignore them." the Princess joked as she left them. Spike crossed his arms for a moment, letting his thoughts drift, at least until velvet put a hand on his shoulder.

"I know...You wanna tell her?" Spike asked. Velvet nodded, the two parting ways. Spike heading to the barracks, and Velvet heading to speak with Twilight.


Velvet couldn't help but smile at the scene she walked in on. Twilight sat in her bed with Rainbow's head resting on her shoulder while the scholar read silently. Three young girls ran about and played while Twilight's friends tried to get them to calm down. She marched into the room, placing her hand atop each little girls head as she passed by them, the girls instantly calming down and taking a seat.

"How th'..." Applejack mumbled

"When you are the mother of two of Terra's strongest Magians you learn a few tricks." Velvet winked at Applejack before turning her attention back to Twilight.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything." She joked, Twilight closing her book and setting it aside. She was obviously not in the mood for jokes. Velvet sighed and folded her hands in her lap.

"Right...I guess we'll skip to the important things then...Everything you've been told is true. The Sparkle family line leads all the way back to Starswirl himself, making us some of the most powerful Magians to ever live. Your fathers family line isn't too shabby either. Which is what makes you and Shining so special." Velvet began. When Twilight remained silent she decided to continue.

"Like my mother before me, and her mother, and so on and so forth, I took on the role of Archmage and the place of The Knight of the Ancients. My entire life had been devoted to nothing but complex spells and combat training in order to take my place by Celestia." she smiled and sighed.

"And then I met your father. A scholar stumbling about with wild theories and ideas no one had ever even imagined. There hadn't been a man like him since Starswirl himself. At least that's how Celestia put it...I admit, I tried very hard to ignore him. I felt my duties to the Princess were more important than my own happiness. Celestia thought differently." Velvet chuckled a little as she sat back.

"The long and short of that is she pushed me to be with him and a few short years later I became the happy mother of two amazing children. But...unlike the rest of us...you were different Twilight." Velvet unrolled her sleeve to reveal a sunburst tattoo etched into her skin.

"At birth I was given this mark and gave up my childhood to be the master of magic I am today. I had expected the same to be done for you. Honestly I had expected it to be done for Shining. But Celestia refused to put either of you through it." Velvet rolled her sleeve back down, glancing over at Applejack and Applebloom, sitting together and reading a children's book.

"Instead, we decided the two of you would lead normal lives. Though both of you decided against that. What with Shining going into the Guard and your magic proving more powerful than we thought...It was a struggle to balance my duties and be the mother you deserved."

"Does dad know?" Twilight asked suddenly. Velvet blinked and cleared her throat.

"No...as far as he knows I'm an adviser at most and Spike was introduced to our family to help you learn more about responsibility and magic. Of course, that second part is still true, he was also there to protect you."

"From what? Why does me being a descendant of Starswirl mean so much?" Twilight demanded.

"Starswirl was the greatest Magian to have ever lived. His magical prowess rivaled that of Celestia, Luna, and Discord combined. Your magical potential makes him look like a child playing with a sparkler." Velvet explained.

"There are many who would want to take that power from you Twilight. Many who...if successful, could topple Celamont at a snap of their fingers. We couldn't risk that kind of power roaming free. So Celestia and Spike kept a careful eye over you while I and many others watched the shadows." Velvet grabbed Twilight's hand and smiled, though worry shined in her eyes.

"There is so much more I want to say Twilight, so much more that needs to be said. But I don't even know where to begin. For now...be careful of what follows you in your dreams, and don't let your magic get the better of you...I love you Twilight." Velvet murmured before simply standing and leaving. Twilight sat there staring at the spot her mother had been. She jumped in surprise as Rainbow squeezed her shoulder.

"You okay Twilight?" Rainbow asked. Twilight blinked, looking down and seeing she was still holding the book. Looking around she found Scootaloo and Sweetie belle still bouncing around the room, Applebloom sitting with Applejack in a corner and reading.

"Rainbow, did...did my mother come in here?" Twilight asked slowly as she turned towards her friend.

"Your mom? I haven't seen her since last night Twi." Rainbow answered. Twilight looked back at the book she had been holding, seeing a faint trace of a magic trail. Her mother HAD been there. But no one else knew it...Was this the power of an Arch mage? And what did she mean about what followed her in her dreams?

She cried out as pain lanced through her head, putting a hand to her forehead and shaking as images of a cloaked woman flashed through her mind. When the pain faded away she found her friends around her. She gave them a weak smile and shook her head.

"I'm alright. Just a headache...I used a lot of magic in the fighting, p-probably just magical backlash. It'll go away in a few days." She assured them. Though still obviously concerned, they seemed to believe her. Sadly Twilight didn't even convince herself...


"The seeds are in place. The chaos grows within her dreams. Soon she will be ripe for the picking Master." a young woman chuckled, her head down. Spell Nexus grinned, adjusting his suit.

"Good. Keep an eye on her, and get Scythe on finding those relics Discord left behind. I don't know what that idiot planned to do with them. but I'm sure we can find a much better use for them." he ordered, the woman teleporting away. Spell Nexus took one last look in his mirror, adjusting his tie and his circle rimmed glasses.

"Perfection. Simple perfection. Look out Eraville, here I come!"


Present Day

Scootaloo licked her lips, her face pressed against the glass as she looked over the different treats. Pinkie grinned and looked at the young Skyborn from the other side of the glass.

"See anything ya like?" Pinkie giggled.

"Tons! I just dunno which one to pick..." Scootaloo chuckled nervously

"Hmmm, how about one of each?" Pinkie asked. Scootaloo glanced over at Twilight and Rainbow.

"Uhhhh, that's a lot of sugar squirt..." Rainbow began, Scootaloo's lip wobbeling. She sighed and nodded to Pinkie, the baker spinning a tray and dropping one of each treat atop it before bouncing over the counter and dropping the tray at a nearby booth.

"Eat up! Oh! can't forget the milk!" Pinkie snorted, zipping into the kitchen and returning with several glasses of milk before leaving to tend to her other customers. Scootaloo stared at the tray with wide eyes, snatching up a blueberry muffin and digging in.

Twilight sat in the booth, reading through another one of her books and wincing slightly, placing a hand against her temple. Rainbow frowned, putting a hand on her shoulder, only for Twilight to give her a smile and return to her book.

She's definitely hiding something...But what? A better question is why? Does she not trust me or somethin? Rainbow wondered, blinking as Scootaloo held a cookie out to her.

"I can't eat all this myself ya know." she joked. Rainbow grinned, accepting the cookie. Right now was for Scootaloo. It was for them to relax, not to worry over stupid things that were probably not important.

We're still gonna have a talk about this later Twilight...


"For the last time Sweetie Belle, I am alright!" Rarity fumed, her sister carrying a bowl of soup and pouting.

"But the doctor said..."

"That I have a clean bill of health and need to simply hold back on using magic for a few more days and I will make a full recovery. You've no reason to worry about me. What about that friend of yours? Shouldn't you be spending time with her, hm?" Rarity questioned. Sweetie Belle lowered her head.

"I-I guess. I just...feel weird around her. A-And I'm so scared that I...that I..." she blinked as Rarity kissed her forehead.

"You feel happy around her don't you? Safe with her?" Rarity questioned. Sweetie froze for a moment and nodded.

"Then there is nothing to worry about. She means too much to you for you to hurt her Sweetie Belle. Why don't you go check on her? I'm sure she misses you." Rarity said with a smile. Sweetie Belle bit her lip and nodded, setting the soup down on Rarity's worktable before rushing downstairs and out the door. Rarity sighed in relief, rubbing her temples to sooth her headache. She had been warned that using her magic would have side affects, but her work required a little magical flair.

"I'm sure some tea will help." she murmured, making her way to the kitchen.


"Almost done" Spike grunted, hefting a bag of fertilizer over his shoulder and running back and forth as he tended to Fluttershy's animals and garden. Fluttershy watched him from a bench on her front porch, glancing down at her bandaged body. Her thoughts drifted to Angel. He had been recovering rather well under the care of Princess Luna and Trixie.

She even got to visit him from time to time, but under heavy guard. Not that they didn't trust her. It was just that no one knew if Discord had left any hidden keywords to trigger her darker side and everyone wanted to be ready to react in case something went wrong. Thus, Spike had been tending to her and watching over her while she recovered.

"Y-You really don't have to do all of this Spike." Fluttershy spoke up. He froze, dropping the bag of feed he'd been carrying and dusting his hands off on his overalls. He marched over to Fluttershy and crossed his arms.

"It's not that much, besides, I like work. keeps me busy. And in your condition you shouldn't be doing this kind of hard labour. Besides, someones gotta keep an eye on you and I don't trust Luna's guard to keep their hands to themselves." Spike admitted. Fluttershy sighed softly, Spike frowning for a moment. The Dragon-kin hopped onto the bench beside her.

"Fluttershy...you know me keeping an eye on you is just a formality right?"

"I-I know...I just...I miss Angel...I miss tending to my animals...and working in the garden...I miss things being normal." Fluttershy began to cry.

"I miss the days when I didn't have the blood of others on my hands!" she yelled. Spike froze, leaning forward and resting his arms on his knees.

"Fluttershy...how many people do you think I've killed?" he asked her suddenly. She paused, hiccuping and glancing over at him, seeing a dark light in his eyes.

"I don't know how well you knew Morigan. She was practically my mother, and I killed her Fluttershy. Without hesitation I ended her life and given the chance I would do it again." Spike continued, taking a shuddering breath.

"It needed to be done...it had to be done. We all know, if you could've chosen your own path, you would've spared them." Spike chuckled softly, wiping away a stray tear from his eye.

"You are innocent in all of this. You did what you did because you truly had no choice. My actions were my own. The important thing is to not let your mistakes consume you." he whispered.

"I...Spike..."

"Sorry." Spike interrupted, jumping off the bench.

"I should get back to feeding the rest of the animals" he chuckled, his smile returning as he went back to work. She frowned as she watched him go back and forth. He accepted her for what she was, for what she had done. But did anyone accept him for what he was? For what he had done?


"Macintosh, fer th' last dang time, ah'm fine!" Applejack yelled, wincing as he poked her rib.

"An fer th' last dang time ah'm tellin ya that ya ain't. Ah'm sorry Aj, but ya can't work th' fields like that. Jus' take th' day off, spend some time with that lady friend o yers. Or maybe spend a day with yer daughter at th' park." Big Mac argued.

"H-How dare you?! Ah spend plenty o' time with Applebloom!"

"Ah ain't said ya don't. But maybe a day o' jus' you an her is somethin ya'll need. Ah'll handle the chores today"

"But..."

"No buts. Yer officially on leave from work til ya recover. Now git!" Macintosh laughed, gently shoving her out the door.

"Th' nerve! Ah oughta...!"

"Applejack?" Applebloom said softly, grabbing hold of her jeans. Applejack swore under her breath as she locked eyes with her daughter.

"Ah thought ya'll would be playin with yer friends."

"Ah haven't seen them since we got back..."

"Well that ain't right. Tell ya what, how 'bout we go into town an have a day t' ourselves? Jus' you an me?" Applejack said with a smile, gasping in pain as Applebloom hugged her.

"Really Applejack?!" Applebloom asked excitedly.

"Y-Yes really." Applejack choked out, pulling free of her daughters grip and holding out her hand. Applebloom happily grabbed her hand, the two marching through the orchard toward town.


"That sure was a big plate of sweets..." Twilight mumbled. Scootaloo nodded, licking her sticky fingers, Rainbow chuckling and pulling a Dum Dum out of her hair.

"Yea, we're gonna need a way to burn off all that sugar...how 'bout a race Squirt?" Rainbow grinned, flaring out her wings. Scootaloo's eyes widened, her wings coming to life and causing her to stumble. Twilight smiled, noticing they had grown quite a bit larger.

"Dang Squirt, those look like some killers! Heh, I was gonna give ya a head start, but with those babies you might be just as fast as me." Rainbow grinned, ruffling Scootaloo's hair. The young flier squeaked, buzzing her wings a bit. Twilight shook her head, stepping off to the side and holding up her hand.

"First to the fountain and back wins. Ready?" Twilight asked. Rainbow nodded, leaning down a bit and spreading out her wings. Scootaloo followed suit, her heart pounding in her ears. She was born to be fast, she had to win this!

"GO!" Twilight laughed, gasping as the two fired off like bullets, Scootaloo slamming her feet hard into the ground as her wings buzzed, kicking off and gliding along while Rainbow sped alongside her, the two grinning against the wind in their face. As Scootaloo reached the fountain she tucked herself into a ball and rolled, skidding to a stop and turning to run back, Rainbow right on her tail with a breakneck turn. Scootaloo gasped as Rainbow picked her up, spiraling up into the air.

"D-Dash!" she cried out, clinging to her. Rainbow smiled.

"Relax Squirt. You're a Skyborn. You were born to be up here." Rainbow said softly, letting her wings vanish. For a moment they hung in the air, Scootaloo staring with wide eyes as Rainbow fell. On instinct she kicked her wings into high gear, letting them buzz against one another as she zipped through the air in a blur towards her idol.

Rainbow smiled to herself, gasping as Scootaloo tackled her in mid-air, throwing her wings out to their full span to try and slow the fall. At the last moment Rainbow threw out her wings, slinging an arm around Scootaloo and pulling out of the fall. She gently hovered near Twilight with Scootaloo still clinging to her and buzzing her wings.

"Hey Squirt? You alright?" Rainbow asked softly as she pulled away. Scootaloo blinked, looking up at Rainbow who was smiling down at her.

"I-I'm fine. But why did you fall?!" She cried. Rainbow pointed down, Scootaloo slowly following with her eyes and realizing she was hovering above the ground on her own.

"Am I...Am I flying?" she gasped, tears stinging her eyes.

"Scootaloo!" Sweetie Belle cried out as she ran towards her. The Skyborn turned, gasping as Sweetie Belle tackled her out of the air, the two smiling at one another on the ground.

"Well, ain't that somethin?" Applejack chuckled as she walked in on the scene, Applebloom grinning and piling on top of her friends, the three wrestling to get to their feet first.

"Weird seein' you in town this early Aj." Rainbow pointed out. Applejack shrugged, crossing her arms.

"Big Mac's put me on vacation. says ah'm too hurt t' work th' fields." She scoffed. Rainbow gently poked the farmers rib, causing her to wince and clutch her side.

"I would say he is correct Applejack. You might be a Gaian, but Discord was a Chaotician. Its a shock none of his magic had lasting effects on any of us. Though we can probably thank the Elements for that." Twilight pointed out, right before she winced, putting a hand to her head.

Rainbow froze, her eyes widening as the pieces clicked.

"Say that again."

"Huh? The Elements most likely shielded us..."

"No, before that. About lasting effects. What could Chaos magic to do a person...say...a Magian?" Rainbow asked softly. Twilight blinked.

"Well. From what I've been able to read up on, Chaos magic had ways of cutting off Magians from Mana altogether. Driving many to the point of madness. Why?" Twilight asked, she squeaked as Rainbow Dash grabbed her shoulders.

"Sorry AJ, gonna have to ask you to watch the kids." Rainbow apologized, throwing her arms around Twilight and sending the two into the air with a powerful flap of her wings. Half a second later she had turned and was hurtling for Eraville General Hospital.


Twilight would've screamed were it not for the wind shoving it back down her throat. She was forced to throw her arms tightly around Rainbow as the Skyborn raced towards the hospital. She was still dazed and blinded even when they had landed and been led into a waiting room. She finally came to her senses with a shake of her head and took a look around slowly.

"Rainbow...why are we here?" Twilight asked.

"Because you're hiding something from me Twilight." Rainbow replied, keeping her eyes forward. Twilight opened her mouth to argue, freezing as Rainbow turned toward her.

"R-Rainbow, honestly, I'm alright...The spell to seal Discord used a lot of magic, and that was only to charge the spell. Actually casting it...and channeling the Elements like that...took a lot more out of me that I didn't have. I'm just experiencing some magical backlash is all. It'll fade away in time." Twilight explained.

"What if its not just some magic backlash thing? What if its something worse?" Rainbow argued

"I'm sure Rainbow. I was diagnosed and...told not to use magic for a while." Twilight mumbled. Rainbow blinked and stared.

"THEN WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU DOING ALL DAY?!" Rainbow demanded. Twilight flinched and turned away.

"What if they told you not to Fly?" she whispered.

"what?"

"What if you couldn't fly?! What if your injuries ruined your wings and they said you couldn't fly...what would you do?!" Twilight demanded as tears streamed down her cheeks. Rainbow had no answer, taking a hesitant step towards her friend.

"Magic is all I know Rainbow...Its who I AM. I can't just let it go..."

"Twilight...no one is asking you to let it go just...give it a break, just for a little while...please?" Rainbow asked softly, kneeling in front of her and gently brushing the tears away with her thumbs.

"What about the Town? If something attacks...or if Scootaloo..." Twilight began to stammer, Rainbow shaking her head and hardly noticing the nurse walking toward them.

"If anything thinks its gonna do a damn thing to this town its got another thing coming. There's still five of us in fighting condition ya know. Just...hold off on the magic a bit. For me?" Rainbow asked softly.

"Excuse me, Twilight Sparkle?" the nurse interrupted.

"Y-yes, that's me."

"The Doctor will see you now." she said softly, offering them both a smile as she turned on her heel to lead the way. Twilight took a shuddering breath as she stood, marching alongside Rainbow.


"Now stopping at Eraville Train-station!" a voice called over the loudspeaker. Spell Nexus hid a grin as he stood, grabbing his bag from the compartment above his seat. Everything was going according to plan. His transfer had gone smoother than he had expected. Princess Celestia herself had signed the papers, convinced that having a scholar of his caliber so near her student would do her well.

You are a fool Celestia, putting me so close to your precious protege. So lost was he in his thoughts, he didn't notice a young woman coming down the aisle, the two colliding. He grit his teeth as the scent of rain and mildew filled his nostrils.

The woman was definitely Skyborn and despite her meek appearance of a simple cloak draped over her shoulders, a button up shirt and low pinstriped skirt, there seemed to be something more about her. Something in her eyes and the way she held herself.

"My apologies miss. I wasn't quite watching where I was going. I do hope you can forgive me. Oh! Allow me to introduce myself! I am Spell Nexus, Princess Celestia's top researcher in the magical field." He said with a smile and a bow. The woman returned his smile, adjusting her glasses

"No no, it was my fault. I've been so distracted lately. So much to do, so much left undone. I'm a bit of a researcher myself as well. Nothing quite as fancy as working for the Princess though." she sighed, keeping her smile as she dug through her papers, carefully tucking them back into one of the many binders she carried.

The two marched off the train together, Spell Nexus letting his thoughts roam.

A researcher hm? What would a Skyborn research anyway? And that aura she gives off...just what kind of woman are you?

"Oh, I never did get your name Miss." he chuckled nervously.

"Hm? Well, I never did give it, but I suppose it would only be fair. You can call me Miss Yearling" she said with a gently tip of her hat.

"The famous children's book author? What brings a woman like you to Eraville?" he wondered.

"I was offered a job actually. Teaching children of all things" she laughed. Spell Nexus froze in place, his heart pounding in his ears. That job was his! It was his ticket to securing the Element of Magic. Why was someone else being given the job!?

"Ah, so you two have arrived!" a man laughed as he walked towards them. He wore a rather strange trenchcoat and a brown pinstripe suit underneath.

"Doctor! Wait for me!" Ditzy cried out, panting slightly as she caught up with him.

"Ah! Sorry about that Ditzy. Couldn't afford to miss them!" he chuckled, turning his attention to Spell Nexus and Miss Yearling.

"Now then, I think an explanation is needed. I've also been called about that teaching job you two are looking into." he said with a smirk.

"How did you know we were here for the job?" Yearling asked.

"Because the Mayor asked me to come get you two. I was rather surprised by her methods, but its her town. It seems the three of us will work as substitutes until a permanent solution is decided upon. I look forward to working with you!" he said, waving to them as he walked away.

So its a competition then is it? Fine! I am a man of magic and science! I have taught classes all around the world! I can handle a bunch of children

"So that's the infamous Doctor...an interesting man." Yearling giggled, adjusting her glasses.

"Well, Mr Nexus, it was a pleasure meeting you, but I have somewhere to be. I'll see you at work tomorrow." she excused herself, leaving him to his thoughts. One in particularly stuck with him well into the night.

Who was this Doctor? and why could he not sense anything from his Aura?


"Doctor...is everything okay?" Ditzy asked as she watched him pull the TARDIS key from his pocket.

"Just my thoughts Ditzy, nothing important!" he assured her with a smile, tucking the key away. As it was right now, it was just a trinket.

"Okay...well...Dinky is really excited to have you teaching her class tomorrow! But...what are you going to tell them about their old teacher?"

"Sometimes the truth is better than sugarcoated lies Ditzy. If we lie to them now and they learn the truth later, that only makes matters worse and only hurts them more." he sighed.

"Doctor!" a voice cried out, following by a bundle tackling his legs and wrapping around him.

"Hello there Dinky, ready for school tomorrow?"

"I sure am! I can't wait for all my friends to meet you and hear about all..." she blinked as he put his finger to her lips.

"I'm just a teacher Dinky. Lets keep stories as stories, hm?"

"Aww...okay..." she mumbled sadly. With a quick hug she rushed to her mothers side, accepting her hand and walking with them to Ditzy's home on the edge of town.

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day... the Doctor let his thoughts wander, gripping the vibrating key in his pocket.


"Hello?! is anyone home?" a voice called out. Applejack stumbled off the couch and made her way to the front door, nearly tripping over three little girls playing tag. She pulled the door open, blinking at the strange woman standing outside.

"Uh, ah'm mighty sorry miss, but th' library ain't open right now."

"Oh, I see. Well, I'm actually supposed to be a resident here for a while. Is Twilight Sparkle not here?"

"Ya'll a friend o' Twilights'? Well, ah s'pose she won't mind if'n ah let ya in. She's out an about with a friend, dunno when she's comin' back." Applejack explained.

"I see, well, I'll be sure to keep to myself until she arrives." the woman said with a smile, making the trek through the tidal wave of toys, book forts, and scrambling girls seem like a stroll in the park. Scootaloo dived past the woman to dodge Applebloom trying to tag her and the woman simply stepped around the trio of giggling girls. Humming lightly, she took a seat on the couch, setting her many binders down and pulling one open.

"Wait a minute...I know who you are!" Scootaloo cried, gasping as Applebloom tackled her.

"Tag! yer it Scootaloo!" Applebloom declared triumphantly.

"No fair!" Scootaloo grumbled. The woman smiled, closing her binder.

"You know me little one?" she asked softly. Scootaloo nodded and pointed.

"You write the Daring Do books!" she claimed with a smile.

"I take it you are a fan?"

"Heh...well, its kinda the only book I ever read...I got it for my birthday one year at the orphanage." Scootaloo admitted. She rushed out of the room, returning with an old copy of Daring Do and the Treasure of the Beastlands

The woman tapped her chin and reached into her bag, holding out a book, Scootaloo's eyes widening.

"Well, I suppose someone who can take care of one of my oldest stories deserves a little peek. Just try not to share it with anyone. This isn't on shelves yet." she winked. Scootaloo nodded quickly, sitting down and quickly surrounded by her friends as she started to read.

Applejack grinned as she took a seat on the couch.

"So, ya'll write books? Ah can see how yer a friend o' Twilight's" the farmer chuckled.

"Actually I don't know her at all. I was just told that this would be the best place for me to stay while I am here. Princess Celestia said it was not only the safest place, but the smartest."

"Huh, well, the most Book smart ah s'pose." Applejack shrugged.

"You heard the Doc Twi', no Magic for the next week." Rainbow said softly as they entered the library. They both froze, spotting the woman on the couch.

"Oh my gosh I am so sorry! I completely forgot and..." Twilight began to panic, the writer holding up her hand.

"It's alright. A nice young man greeted me at the train-station and finding this place wasn't all that difficult. Your friend was kind enough to let me in and these girls seem rather happy with my latest work," She said with a smile, nodding her head at the three girls with their noses buried in the storybook.

"S-Still, I should've been here to welcome you and help you get settled in and relaxed..."

"If what I heard from the Princess holds any merit, I think its you that deserves to relax," She winked, reaching between her breasts and flashing a small badge that held the same sunburst marking as the Knights.

"Hold up a minute, you're one of the Knights?!" Rainbow asked, a bit shocked.

"Shhh, not so loud. And no, I'm not a Knight. I'm more of a...consultant. I hardly know Sir Spike or the others to be honest. We've only worked together a few times. But that's not whats important right now. What is important is that Teaching Job that's available," She explained.

"Oh right...Cheerilee's old job..." Twilight sighed, hanging her head.

"What do you mean, old job? Did she get fired?" Sweetie Belle asked, her bottom lip wobbling.

"No! No, nothing like that Sweetie belle, um...she uh..."

"She was killed helping us save everyone." Rainbow interrupted, kneeling down in front of the girls.

"When the Princess was in danger, she did everything she could to protect her and it cost her life...She died a hero, protecting the princess." Rainbow continued, the three girls bursting into tears.

"Did ya really have t' do that Rainbow?" Applejack scolded, pulling Applebloom close and letting the girl cry against her.

"What? Want me to keep it from them and just spring it up on them randomly one day?" Rainbow argued causing Applejack to flinch. She knew all too well what keeping a secret like that could do. She however had been lucky enough to have an understanding daughter.

"Ah s'pose yer right...ain't fair t' keep it from em..." Applejack sighed.

"I-I'll go make some tea..." Twilight stammered.

"Uh uh! No way Sparkle. You sit your butt down, Doctors orders," Rainbow glared at her, cradling Scootaloo. Sweetie Belle sniffled and wrapped her arms around herself, blinking when Miss Yearling put a hand on her head, offering her a smile.

"I didn't get to meet her personally, but I heard she was a wonderful teacher and that she deeply cared for all of her students. I hope I can be as good a teacher as she was," She said softly, smiling as Sweetie hugged her leg.

"So...you are gonna take up post here in Eraville?" Rainbow asked.

"Well...I'm just one candidate. There's two others. A 'Spell Nexus', supposedly Celestia's greatest researcher in the magical field, according to himself. Something seemed off about him though. Almost...fake..." She sighed.

"Spell Nexus is in Eraville?!" Twilight gasped, her eyes wide.

"Oh gods here we go..." Rainbow murmured.

"Oh don't start with me Rainbow. He's only the greatest mind in Celamont! I think he would make a wonderful teacher...well in Magic anyway..." Twilight chuckled.

"Yes, but Eraville is a town of ALL the races. Not just Magians. Which is why I was picked, and another man. I only know him as The Doctor. He seems to just be a young man but...his eyes..." She stopped for a moment, clenching her fist.

"Those eyes have seen decades of misery..." she murmured, blinking as Sweetie Belle dozed off against her leg. She smiled and stood, lifting the Magian.

"Seems its time for bed." Miss Yearling smiled.

"Ah'll take her home, need t' get Applebloom home too, fer she passes out," Applejack offered, gently taking Sweetie Belle from the Teacher to be.

"Oh and...let th' kids down easy, kay?" Applejack said softly as she left, Applebloom yawning and waving to Scootaloo. Rainbow sighed as she stood, lifting Scootaloo.

"C'mon Kiddo. Lets get you to bed," she murmured, leaving Twilight alone with Ms Yearling.

"You should sit Miss Sparkle."

"Oh um, please, call me Twilight," the Magian chuckled nervously as she sat down.

"Very well, you can call me Ariadne, or Ari for short," She said with another wink.

"I'm a little surprised...but a part of me feels I shouldn't be. First Spike...then my own mother, and now one of the greatest childrens book authors. Who next? The Mailman?" Twilight scoffed. Ari only shrugged, adjusting her glasses.

"You might wanna watch what you say in certain places Twilight. I was personally unaware of your mothers involvement in anything. But I can keep my lips sealed, others aren't so good at that." Ari warned. Twilight's eyes widened as she covered her mouth.

"It's getting rather late. Maybe you should get some rest. It's going to be a busy day tomorrow you know."


"Hm, So the Skyborn is one of Celestia's little soldiers. She can't possibly suspect my true intentions...still, I will have to be careful around her." Spell Nexus muttered, staring into his scrying glass. In his short time near his competition he had managed to mutter a spell to track her, allowing him to easily spy on his target.

He hadn't even expected to be so lucky as to have a window directly to Twilight Sparkle. His curiosity simply led him to keep an eye on the Skyborn. Oddly enough however, his spell had failed to reach 'The Doctor' as he called himself.

"Perhaps he has some sort of protective charm? In any case, both of them are hiding something. If Celestia is entrusting them with this task, they both have connections to her. One a soldier...and what of the other?" he mused, pacing about his room.

During his stay in Eraville he had been given one of the offices of Town hall, refurnished into a bedroom and close to any facilities he might need. It was the best a small town could offer. He honestly could care less if her were living in a box. His only focus was his mission. Once his Queen was revived he would have everything he ever wanted!

It was only a matter of time.


"Up an at em Squirt!" Rainbow called out, Scootaloo shrieking as she was snatched from the world of dreams and flung off her bed. She groaned and grumbled as she stood, Rainbow wearing a smirk.

"Time for School Squirt. Miss Yearling is gonna walk ya, I gotta check up on the weather and Twilight's gotta get the Library open. But I'll come pick you up when I get off, kay?" Rainbow smiled. Scootaloo gave a small nod, Rainbow's smile fading away.

"Hey...whats wrong Scootaloo?" she asked, kneeling in front of her.

"Is Miss Cheerilee really...d-d..." Scootaloo started to ask, tears filling her eyes. Rainbow pulled her close, rubbing her back gently.

"Ya know...Gaians don't really die." Rainbow said softly, Scootaloo looking up at her.

"Just ask Applejack, or Applebloom. I'm sure Applejack spent last night tellin' her. The long an short of it Squirt, your teacher might not be there to teach you anymore, but she's still with you and watching over you. She went out makin' sure you kids had good lives to live."

"You aren't gonna die a hero are you?" Scootaloo asked suddenly. Rainbow was caught off guard. She couldn't exactly promise she wasn't going to die. Everyone died someday and that was something she had known and lived with since she was just a kid.

"I'm not gonna lie or try to sugarcoat it. I dunno. Heck, just doin' my job could get me killed. One rogue bolt and its lights out. And there's this whole Elements of Harmony junk. Anything could happen, and making some bullshit promise that I'm not gonna die is only gonna make it harder on you if I do go an screw up. But I can promise you this..." Rainbow smiled, grabbing Scootaloo's hand.

"I'm not gonna go and get myself killed. I've got five amazing friends all watchin' my back. We've got magic and crazy ancient powers. We aren't gonna go down easy. Heck, we just beat a freakin' God of evil magic. Besides, I'm not really in any condition to do much. I'll probably just be babysitting newbies learnin' to move clouds."

"Promise?"

"I promise Squirt. Now c'mon, you're gonna be late."


"Looks like everyone is here. Shall we get started?" The Doctor asked as Scootaloo and Miss Yearling walked into the classroom. Scootaloo took her seat near her friends, setting her bag down and glancing at the clock.

"Now now students, calm down!" Spell Nexus called out over the noise. Still they continued to talk over one another, the Magian gritting his teeth.

"Allow me." Miss Yearling said softly. She walked up to the chalkboard and slowly wrote out her name. She lifted a ruler and gently tapped the chalkboard, drawing everyone's attention to her.

"Good morning class, my name is Miss Yearling and I am going to be one of your substitute teachers." she introduced herself.

"Good Morning Miss Yearling," the class said together. The Doctor grinned, slipping his hands into his pockets.

"I am The Doctor, and I will also be one of your teachers," he said with a wave, Dinky waving back at him.

"And I am Spell Nexus, Celestia's personal and best researcher in the field of magic. I shall be teaching you alongside these two."

"What happened to miss Cheerilee?" Diamond Tiara demanded. Spell Nexus paused for a moment as his eyes latched onto the necklace she wore. Miss Yearling stepped forward, resting her hands on the desk.

"I am sorry to tell all of you that Miss Cheerilee has unexpectedly passed away. If you check your desks you will see a permission slip for you parents to attend her service next week." she said softly, both Spell Nexus and The Doctor looking at her in shock. Murmurs filled the classroom.

"B-But Mith Cheerilee can't be dead!" Twist cried

"Now now everyone. I know its terrible news, and we understand that its going to affect all of you rather harshly. So today we are going to be doing silent study and getting to know one another." The Doctor tossed in, offering each student a genuine smile.

"She ain't dead!" Applebloom yelled as she stood, the classroom falling silent.

"She ain't...She's still here watchin over us jus' like she always has. Applejack told me all 'bout it. When a Gaian dies...she returns to th' planet, t' Mother Terra with all th' others that were born from her. So even if she ain't right here teachin' us, she's still watchin' us! R-Right?" Applebloom looked around the classroom.

"You are absolutely right young lady." Miss Yearling said with a smile.

"As a matter of fact, why don't we study that today? If all of you can open your Science books to page 73 you can see proof of this as studied by Starswirl the wise." she cracked open a book and lifted a piece of chalk, The Doctor stepping aside and standing near a window. Spell Nexus grumbled under his breath and stood beside him.

"Now, as can be seen here. A Gaian who has been buried for a period of several months still holds a natural healthy glow. Many Magian scientists practicing rather complicated magic found a direct connection between the body and spirit of the Gaian, showing a direct path and proof they were still with them. Some experiments even managed communication with the deceased, but was quickly ended out of respect for the families." She continued, turning the page.

"While on the subject, does anyone know anything about Avaros? Or Magians?" She asked. When no one answered she merely giggled.

"That's alright. It is some advanced material after all. We are only going to delve just a little into it before returning to the normal lesson plan. Now, we Avaros are born of the Sky we love so much. Thus our names 'Skyborn'"

"Excuse me, but none of this is true! When a woman and a man love each other they..." Diamond Tiara interrupted

"Yes, that is the manner in which children are born. But our Spirits are much different. Our Spirits are formed long before our bodies and only match up with a body that fully represents our true selves. A spirit belongs to no race until it latches onto its chosen body." Miss Yearling continued her explanation.

"When an Avaros passes away, their spirit returns to the sky, to forever fly along the breeze. And when a Magian passes away...Their spirits return to The Great Pool." A chill seemed to fill the room as Miss Yearling drew a large circle on the chalkboard.

"The Great Pool is the place where all Magians draw Mana within themselves. Am I correct Mr Nexus?" Miss Yearling turned to her coworkers, the Magian jumping slightly.

"Hm? Ah, yes! indeed you are Miss Yearling. A pool dwells within each Magian and determines how much Mana one can hold. But The Great Pool holds all Mana in the known universe, as well as those who have passed on to the other side." Mr Nexus agreed.

"So...when someone holds mana...they are holding the spirits of Magians?" Sweetie Belle asked, staring at her hands.

"Almost correct. They are in-tuned with those Spirits, and it is through these spirits that a Magian asks for the power to cast a spell." Miss Yearling said with a smile.

"I'm sure Mr Nexus or Miss Sparkle could tell you more on the subject if you are interested. For now, I believe its time for a little break. You may talk among yourselves."


"Ya know...I don't feel so bad now. Knowin' all that stuff Miss Yearling had to say." Scootaloo mumbled around her sandwich. Sweetie Belle gasped suddenly, a large smile on her face.

"Do you know what this means?!" she squealed.

"Uh...Ah got nuthin'" Applebloom shrugged.

"It means my parents aren't gone forever and neither are Scootaloo's!" Sweetie Belle explained.

"All I have to do is try and use magic and I could probably reach out to my parents!"

"Ah don't think it works that way Belle...But maybe Miss Twilight knows somethin'? Or Mr Nexus...t' be honest he kinda scares me. Somethin' jus' don't...feel right 'bout him." Applebloom shuddered, sneezing a moment later as Spell Nexus walked past them, giving them a smile before moving on to keep an eye on the other students.


"Look! Ah even get Th' Chill when he walks past me!" Applebloom argued.

"Thats kinda weird...Hey, I was thinkin'. You've got The Chill and Pinkie has her Pinkie Sense. She's a Gaian, you're a Gaian, maybe she can teach you how to use it to find stuff!" Scootaloo said excitedly.

"Th' closer ah get t' somethin' th' worse Th' Chill is. Ain't exactly need any teachin' and why would ah WANT t' get closer t' whatever is makin' me sick?" Applebloom argued.

"Well...I had a talk with Rainbow Dash this morning. I was worried she might end up dying a hero since she's one of those Elements of Harmony an she straight up told me that she might! I mean...its nice to know she isn't gonna try an lie to me like the Doctors did with my parents. But what if they are in some kind of danger?"

"Well what are we s'posed t' do 'bout it?" Applebloom wondered.

"Well...I didn't wanna say anything but..." Scootaloo glanced around and grinned, placing her hands in front of her friends, a little spark dancing between them.

"Whoa! Scoots, how did you do that?!" Sweetie Belle gasped.

"Shhh! Quiet down Belle! I just kinda...did it. I can't really explain it, but I think whatever Twilight gave me to fix my wings also gave me powers!" Scootaloo said in an excited whisper.

"So what? Ya'll think jus' cause ya can make some fancy shmancy sparks that ya'll can be a hero?" Applebloom wondered.

"No. But I bet the three of us together could probably do somethin if worse came to worse. I finally have parents again...I don't wanna lose em..."

"Ya aren't gonna lose em Scoots, but lets not do somethin' crazy."

"Sometimes the crazy things are the most fun." The Doctor chuckled as he sat in a chair near them, causing the three girls to jump.

"H-How long..."

"Oh, I didn't hear a thing." he chuckled with a wink.

"But I should tell you...Skyborn and Magic don't mix too well. You should let your parents know about this. If by this time next week you haven't told Miss Sparkle, I will." he warned softly, ruffling her hair before walking away.

"What is with these teachers?" Scootaloo mumbled.


Rainbow sighed as she looked over pile after pile of paperwork. They had brought in someone else to train the new cloud movers and with her in critical condition, they had put her on morning paperwork.

"Well, beats bein' blasted by bolts. Heh, I should write that down, Twilight would be impressed." she mumbled, going through the long agonizing task of filing each paper.

knock knock knock

"Whatever you want, it can be handled later!" Rainbow called over her desk.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. Rainbow sighed, walking around her desk and up to the door

"Oh for Celestia's sake. WHAT?!" She yelled as she pulled the door open

"Hey Squirt." Soarin chuckled, grunting as Rainbow hugged him tightly.

"Soarin...what are you doing here?"

"Well, someone has to teach these rookies how to move clouds." he grinned.

"You put in for a transfer to keep an eye on me, didn't you?" Rainbow deadpanned.

"Saw right through me huh? Well, Spitfire came back injured from a solo mission and I heard about some nasty business you got yourself into. Figured it was my turn to be on the front lines."

Rainbow blinked and stared for a moment, realization dawning on her slowly. Soarin didn't know. He was just another Military guy out of the loop and doing his best to defend his home and his people. She pulled him into her office, locking the door and peeking out the window, her eyes glowing dimly as a symbol drew itself on the wall.

"Rainbow! You aren't supposed to..."

"I've been training under Celestia's personal student. I know what I can and can't do and I know what I need to do. Its not fair of them to keep you out of the loop. Spitfire wasn't on a Solo Mission. She works for the Princess." Rainbow interrupted him.

"of course she works for the Princess, she's a Wonderbolt."

"No, Soarin..." Rainbow sighed, leaning against her desk.

"She's a Knight. Part of some crazy secret service fighting a secret war beyond the Wonderbolts. All to protect The Elements of Harmony." Rainbow explained.

"I don't understand."

"Yea, I didn't at first either. She kept it a secret from everyone and I only found out not too long ago myself. I thought she'd at least tell you but...thats just how she is. She was probably tryin' to protect us. Heck even the Archmage is kept a secret."

"Ya know, she was always a bit picky about the details of her missions. I didn't expect anything like this though." He shrugged.

"You aren't mad?"

"That she didn't tell me she was some secret Knight to keep my stupid ass alive? No, not really. A little upset she couldn't trust me to have her back, but it was probably on Celestia's orders. Oh that reminds me." Soarin fished into his pocket, holding out an envelope.

"Whats this?" Rainbow wondered as she tore it open.

"A letter from someone named Gilda. Orders were to bring it right to you. Seems she is rising in the ranks and asked for you by name. She's due to visit Eraville sometime this week to speak to you about something important. We couldn't get anymore details than that."

"Gilda huh? I didn't think she'd even remember me." Rainbow mumbled, reading over the letter. It said pretty much everything Soarin had told her, only going as far to say that Gilda needed her.

"I guess I'll figure out what this is about when she gets here." Rainbow sighed, the symbol vanishing as she put a hand against her head.

"Ugh I'm stupid. Doc said no magic til we recover." she groaned.

"Yea, you're an idiot." Soarin chuckled as he sat beside her. She grinned, punching his shoulder.

"Yea, but I'm your idiot."


"It seems I underestimated the competition. And that girl, the loud one. She has one of Discords Trinkets." Spell Nexus growled.

"Her name is Diamond Tiara, her father is a rather important businessman. His donations alone saved Eraville from being torn to the ground." Scythe handed him a file, the Magian grumbling under his breath as he read through the file.

"You've done well. Find me the other relics. Quickly. I fear there isn't much time left to enact our plan."

"Whatever you say." Scythe shrugged as he vanished.

"Soon Twilight Sparkle, soon you will play your role."


"Everything is ready for your trip Sir" a young cadet said as he saluted. Gilda grinned, adjusting her collar and placing a hand over the jewel that hung around her neck.

"Good, keep an eye on things for me until I get back. it's your ass if anything goes wrong." she warned, marching past him. She didn't want to be late after all.

PreviousChapters Next