• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 9,584 Views, 504 Comments

Discovering Friendship - Saro0fdemonz



Twilight Sparkle, aspiring student of Princess Celestia has been tasked with the most difficult challenge a Magian must face. Making friends. Along the way she will discover what it means to truly be a friend and uncover a power unlike any other.

  • ...
38
 504
 9,584

PreviousChapters Next
Episode Three:Secrets of the Rainbow Part Four

Days turned into weeks, weeks to months, so on and so forth. The sessions became more intense and more terrifying. But through it all, her family and her newest friend Fluttershy were by her side. Before she knew it the sessions were happening less and less and she was craving the company of her friend more and more.

Rainbow sighed to herself as she stared at the ceiling, wondering if Fluttershy would be visiting with her father. This was her last session and she doubted she would be able to make it through without Fluttershy. She jumped as Soarin pushed her door open.

"Hey Squirt, the doc's here." he said softly. She sighed, dropping down from her cloud-bed.

"Oh, and so is your friend." he chuckled, watching as she smiled and rushed out of the room. He hid a grin as he heard the two girls squeal as they shared a hug.

"Alright, alright, lets get this last show on the road!" Dr Accord laughed, taking a seat in Soarin's arm-chair. As the good doctor got comfy, sitting cross legged in his claimed chair, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were setting up on the floor. With a few blankets and pillows the two had put together a pallet to rest on.

"Alrighty then, on the count of three girls. One...two...two and a half...."

"Daddy..." Fluttershy sighed.

"Three!" SNAP. Rainbows eyes flew open, the once white landscape was full of color and mirth after all the times they had visited it, tearing down the walls she had built around herself and helping her through her worst fears. Today was the last white patch and within it stood her mother. Fluttershy stood to her left, Dr Accord on her right.

"We're right here with you Rainbow." Dr Accord said softly.

"I...I know Doc." she gulped, hesitantly stepping forward.

"Don't do it Rainbow. You don't know what you are doing. If you get rid of me now I won't be able to help you." Nightgale said softly, her eyes shifting to Dr Accord.

"Why should I believe you? After all you did..." Rainbow choked out.

"Because I did what had to be done. If I had just left you there you'd be as dead as your father!" Nightgale cried.

"Yes, what I did was wrong and I can't ever be forgiven for my crimes, but at least what I did was done to save you. This man, he's not what you think Rainbow. Please just listen to me!" she begged. Rainbow shook her head.

"No, I'm done listening to you. This man is my friend! He's the only Magian who ever cared about me, the only Magian I can call family. You aren't even my mom. You're just this thing in my head and I want you out! NOW!" Rainbow screamed. Her mother simply stood there.

"I-Is that what you really want Rainbow?" she asked quietly.

"Yes...just leave. I don't need you and I won't ever need you." Rainbow shook, squeezing Fluttershys' hand.

"I have a family who cares, friends, loved ones. People who don't just want to use me." she finished.

"Very well...I won't be here when this turns around to bite you Rainbow...Goodbye." her mother said softly, fading away. But still the blank spot remained blank. Rainbow was at a loss.

After every demon she had conquered there had been a splash of color and life to take over the empty space left behind, but here there was nothing. Just more emptiness. Had she done the right thing?

This question continued to pester her as her eyes flickered open to the sight of Dr Accord discussing something with Spitfire. Fluttershy was still fast asleep, curled against her side and sucking on her thumb with Angel held in the crook of her arm. The bunny slept with his head just below his caretakers chin. Rainbow sighed to herself, closing her eyes and pretending to be asleep as she listened in on the conversation nearby.

"Something seems wrong though." Dr Accord sighed.

"What do you mean? Is she not cured?" Spitfire worried.

"There was nothing to ever cure. Just some mental scaring that needed to be worked through which she has done marvelously. But the final step seemed...unfinished. As if there is some deep trauma she is desperately holding on to, even if she doesn't know it herself. If thats the case then there is nothing else I can do for her. But perhaps my daughter can." he mused, puffing on a crooked wooden pipe he normally kept tucked away in his coat.

"Well, they do look rather cute together." Spitfire chuckled.

"I agree my dear Wonderbolt. I don't suppose you'd mind watching her for a few days?" he asked with a hopeful glint in his eyes.

"I'm sure Dash would appreciate it. But are you sure she'll be okay with us for that long?" Spitfire worried.

"I'll admit, my Fluttershy is easily frightened, but she has the heart of a lion and the quick wit of a fox, and her fathers talent with people. She just needs someone around her to help her exercise it. Maybe spending some time out from under me will help her with that and in the process help Rainbow Dash past her last hurdle."

"Well, if you're sure, then I don't mind."

"Oh good, trapped in a house full of Skyborn girls, its like High School all over again." Soarin joked from across the room

"If you can control yourself maybe it WILL be just like High School." Spitfire grinned. Soarin blinked, for once at a lack for words. He settled for a simple about face and headed into any room that wasn't occupied to process what had just been said to him. Rainbow was left confused on the hidden message in Spitfire's words, while Dr Accord merely chuckled.

"I suppose I should be on my way then. Feel free to call if I am needed. I cannot promise she is past everything, but the flashbacks and night terrors will bother her no more." he said happily.

"Thank you so much Doctor. It means the world to me." Spitfire said as she escorted him out. She sighed to herself as she reentered her home, marching towards Rainbow and Fluttershy.

"Alright you two, up an at em. Lets get you in a real bed." Spitfire said as she pulled them to their feet. Fluttershy mumbled sleepily, still holding Rainbows hand as the two walked towards Rainbows room.

Spitfire smiled as the two climbed into the cloudbed, making her way to the study where Soarin stood, simply staring at thin air. She grinned, hooking her arms around him and resting her chin on his shoulder.

"Uhhh..."

"Shh, I feel mommish right now, don't ruin it damnit." she mumbled. Soarin chuckled, placing his hands over hers, the two enjoying the moment.

"Adults are weird." Rainbow mumbled, Fluttershy nodding agreement as the two snuck back to her room.


"Todays the day." Rainbow said to herself, grinning in the mirror. She wasn't the smartest kid in school, but she wasn't far behind. Today was her High School Graduation and the day she qualified to start going to the Flight Academy. Step One of joining the Wonderbolts and making her family proud.

She checked herself in the dressing room mirror again, making sure her robes were right and her hat was on straight. She couldn't mess this up. Soarin and Spitfire had used their vacation to come and see this. Everything needed to be perfect.

"Oh, hi Rainbow. T-todays the big day huh?" Fluttershy asked softly. Rainbow grinned, crossing her arms.

"Damn straight Shy. Today we become adults!" Rainbow beamed.

"I'm really happy for you Rainbow. A lot of kids said you'd never get this far." Fluttershy mumbled.

"I-I wasn't one of them! I mean, I was worried you might fail, but I always hoped you would make it." Fluttershy panicked.

"Shy, relax. Its cool. Now come on, their gonna be calling us up there soon and we gotta look good." Rainbow said, pushing Fluttershy along. Her friend squeaked and nodded.

"O-Okay. B-But there are so many people out there Rainbow..."

"They just want a peek at awesomeness Shy. Just pretend its a bunch of your bunnies." Rainbow told her. Fluttershy closed her eyes and focused on the image.

"Miss Fluttershy! Graduating at the top of her class and on her way to being a Veterinarian. Congratulations Miss Fluttershy!" the Principal called. Fluttershy squeaked and made her way onstage.

"Oh, thank you very much. I-I hope to help as many animals as I can." Fluttershy said with a wave to the crowd, shaking hands with the Principal and Vice Principal before making her way offstage and into the waiting arms of her father. Rainbow stood in line, waiting for her turn to go onstage. Finally she reached the stairs, a grin plastered across her face.

"Sunset Shimmer! Honors in Advanced Magical Theory!" the Principal called, murmurs filling the room as Sunshet Shimmer pushed past her and walked onstage with a smirk. Rainbow stood in place, wondering if her Diploma just got mixed around. But one after the other names of the people directly behind her were called until Rainbow had enough. She rushed onstage, tears stinging her eyes.

"Wheres mine?!" She demanded, clenching her fists.

"I'm not the smartest, I'm not the best or the funniest. But I passed damnit! I worked hard everyday to make my family proud! I've got my report card and everything proving I passed!" Rainbow fussed.

"Now now Miss Dash. I'm sure there has just been some sort of misunderstanding." The Principal assured her.

"She probably misunderstood the meaning of Failure. The poor things gone delusional and thinks she actually accomplished something." Sunset Shimmer laughed. Rainbows shoulders fell.

"You...You bitch, it was you wasn't it?! You did something, I know it!" Rainbow accused.

"Me? Innocent honor roll student and graduating with a Scholarship to Celestia's Academy for the Gifted me? Whatever do you mean?" Sunset taunted. Rainbow screamed as she lunged for her, tackling her off the stage.

Sunset rolled, snaring Rainbow in her magic, but the Skyborn refused to submit, her eyes glowing as she punched the bully in the jaw, leaving her dazed and confused as Rainbow pulled back for a second punch.

"Thats enough!" Spitfire called out, Rainbow freezing in place as the glow faded from her eyes. Murmurs filled the air once more. Spitfire made her way through the seats and towards her daughter.

"We'll get this sorted out Dash, but not like this." Spitfire whispered as she pulled her off of Sunset Shimmer. The Magian rubbed her jaw as she stood.

"Did you see what she did? She attacked me with magic!" Sunset accused.

"Thats funny, it looked like she punched you." Spitfire argued.

"Look, I dunno who you think you are, but I am Sunset Shimmer and I will not stand for this!"

"Then you can sit down Miss Shimmer, in my office. The same goes for you Miss Dash."

"Aw crud." Rainbow groaned.


Rainbow hung her head, Soarin on one side of her and Spitfire on the other.

"I'm sorry...today was suppose to be perfect...and I ruined everything."

"You didn't ruin anything Dash. Its about time someone slugged that girl." Soarin whispered, Spitfire holding back a laugh.

"What has me upset is that you used magic to do it Rainbow. Don't you remember what we said?" Spitfire asked.

"Yea, I know. I'm not suppose to use magic unless its a life or death situation." she mumbled.

"And while that might've called for a punch or two, thats not how you should've solved it."

"I know mom."

"It was a good punch though." Spitfire mumbled, bringing a smile to her daughters lips.

"You can come in now." the vice Principal said to them. Rainbow sat down in a chair next to Sunset Shimmer, the two of them facing the Principal.

"I was going through our records and discovered that all of Rainbows grades are F-'s. All of her hundreds and...just barely passing grades that I am sure were here before have been changed to zeros." he said to them, glancing at Sunset Shimmer.

"Checking our surveillance footage I discovered this." he turned his monitor to them, showing two of Sunsets goons breaking into the office and getting on the computer.

"As it turns out, doing a restore of the system brings up your true grades miss Dash. While not top grades, they are well beyond passing and I am quite happy to award you the diploma you so rightly deserve. As well as a paid scholarship to the Flight Academy for your troubles. As for you miss Shimmer. We shall see what the Principal at Celestia's Academy for the Gifted wants to do with you."

"Me?! But thats not me on the tape! Its obviously those two troublemakers who never leave me alone!" she argued.

"Oh? Thats not what they had to say." he pointed to the door leading to the counselors room behind him where said two goons stepped out.

"Sorry Sunset Shimmer. They were very persuasive!" Snails apologized.

"Yea, they were gonna hold us back!" Snips whined.

"You little traitors!"

"So...am I still in trouble for punching her?" Rainbow asked. Spitfire winced and shook her head. She would have to explain to her daughter about keeping her mouth shut.

"Well, as for the punch, you were technically already no longer a student at this facility. So I have no power over what becomes of that punch. It falls to the on-hand authorities, being that there are Two Wonderbolts here, I'll leave it in their fine capable hands." he said with a wink to them.

"Thank you sir, we'll see that she suffers the proper punishment." Soarin promised.

"Now then." he reached into his desk, pulling out a blank Diploma and filling in the needed spots along with his signature before rolling it up and standing. Rainbow stood as well.

"Congratulations Miss Dash. You've more than earned this Diploma and all that it entails. I wish you good luck on your future endeavors."

"Thanks Mister P, you're alright." Rainbow said as she shook his hand. Rainbow was able to contain herself for all of five seconds, which was enough time for them to get into the hallway.

"WHOO-HOO!" she cheered, throwing up her hat and giggling like a little girl.

"Aw man that feels good." she sighed.

"I'm so proud of you Dash." Spitfire said as they walked to the car. Rainbow was driving. Something her mother was a bit apprehensive about.

"Congrats Squirt. Two whole months til you gotta do it over again." Soarin chuckled

"Yea, but this time I'm working towards something."

"Hey, that diploma is really somethin' Dash. Not a lot you can do in this world without one." he argued.

"Yea, I know. Hey, you think I can take Shy and go visit Auntie Firefly this weekend?" Rainbow asked.

"Hmmm, Two young girls, fresh out of School and running unsupervised in Celamont with an Ex-soldier. Why do I feel uneasy about this?" Spitfire murmured.

"Pleeeeease?" Rainbow asked.

"Hm, tell ya what. Lets check in with Fluttershy's Dad about it first, okay?" Spitfire asked.

"Alright." Rainbow agreed glumly. She undid her seat belt and got out of the car, her wings kicking to life as well as Soarin's and Spitfire's. The three flying up to their cloud home and heading inside.

"Summertime, here I come!"


In the end Rainbow won out and with some extra cash from both of their families, the two friends were off on an adventure.

"We normally visit by flying or Royal carriage. But this way we get to be in full control of everything. Pretty cool huh Shy? Our first adventure on our own!" Rainbow chuckled.

"Y-Yes..i-its, nice." Fluttershy replied, her bunny, Angel, sticking his head out of her bag.

"Aw crud Shy. I told you not to bring that Rabbit."

"Its a bunny." Fluttershy argued softly, holding him in her arms. "I just couldn't leave him all alone."

"Your Dad promised to watch him and the rest of your animals. I'm not gonna find a squirrel in the car am I? no Racoons? Any fish in your pocket?"

"Um...no. Just Angel." Fluttershy said softly.

"Alright. Just keep him outta my hair. That guy likes to kick." Rainbow mumbled.

"Um, Rainbow. With your 18th birthday coming up, are you planning anything special?" Fluttershy asked, decidedly changing the subject..

"Well...I didn't wanna announce it or anything, but I'm gonna move out the day after."

"What?! But where are you going to stay?!" Fluttershy panicked.

"Relax Shy. My inheritance kicks in when I'm 18. My dad left me his house and a pocketful of cash. He was always lookin' out for me. Sometimes I feel like he still is." Rainbow chuckled, wiping away a tear. Fluttershy put a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm not crying damnit, some dirt got in my eye." Rainbow mumbled, focusing on the road. Fluttershy nodded, saying nothing as she sat back in her seat. Rainbow pulled into a gas station and hopped out of the car.

"Want anything to snack on Shy?" Rainbow asked.

"Oh, just some carrots for Angel." Fluttershy smiled. Rainbow gave her a flat look.

"I'll take a soda." Fluttershy mumbled.

"Atta-girl." Rainbow chuckled, making her way inside. Fluttershy squeaked as a man leaned against the car.

"Hey there cutie. How about you an me head in the back for some fun?" he suggested with a wink.

"Thank you but, my friend is going to be back soon and we really need to be going." Fluttershy said softly.

"Thats a damn shame. You've got quite the pretty voice. I'd love to hear you scream." he said as he opened the door.

"No, thats fine. I-I don't like screaming." Fluttershy stammered as he leaned in close to her, sniffing her hair.

"You smell nice, lets fix that." he chuckled. Her eyes turned to pinpricks as he grabbed her arms, trying to tug her out of the car.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Fluttershy screamed. Rainbow bolted out of the shop, her wings flaring to life as her arm cocked back.

"Hey buddy!" Rainbow called. He lifted his head in time for her to clock him square in the nose. She rolled her shoulders, shifting into her karate stance as the man got back to his feet.

"You wanna dance pretty boy? I'll dance with ya. Shy, pump the gas." Rainbow said. Fluttershy eeped, setting Angel down in her seat as she got out to fill the car with gas.

"You got some guts girly."

"Yea, I hear that a lot." Rainbow grinned, watching as he pulled a knife.

Oh please she thought to herself. Until his eyes started to glow and the knife transformed into a big freaking sword.

"What the hell?" Rainbow mumbled.

"You're lookin' at a Knight of Celamont kid, still think you're tough?" he chuckled, hefting the sword over his shoulder.

"Bring it." She pivoted as he slashed down with the blade, smacking her palm into it and knocking it out of his hands, another pivot and she was in front of him, smashing her fist into his diaphragm, her free hand grabbing his arm as she turned and flipped him over her shoulder with all the strength she could muster.

"Heh, how do ya like that?!" Rainbow beamed. blinking as a gun was pushed against the back of her head.

"Ma'am, I'm gonna have to ask you to unhand that Knight and come with me."

"What for?! He was trying to hurt my friend!" Rainbow argued.

"Yea well, he's my friend and I don't take too kindly to Skyborn trash in my town." he said, cocking the gun. Rainbow roared, smashing her elbow into his wrist and spinning around him, snatching the gun out of his hand and forcing his arm up against his spine, holding the gun against his head.

"Now this is an interesting situation. Wouldn't ya say?" Rainbow panted slightly.

"R-Rainbow. The tank is full." Fluttershy called softly.

"Thanks Shy. I'll be done in a minute." she turned, her eyes glowing for a moment as she chucked the gun as far as she could.

"You gentleman have a nice day." Rainbow said, snapping his wrist and letting him drop to the ground next to his friend as she went back to her car. Rainbow picked up her bag on the way, sitting in the drivers seat and passing the bag to Fluttershy.

"That was amazing Rainbow Dash. Where did you learn all of that?" Fluttershy asked.

"You uh...pick up a few things when your mom is a Wonderbolt." she chuckled. The air was filled with silence for a while after that, Fluttershy finally speaking up.

"I don't understand, why don't you just have your mother let you take the test to get into the Wonderbolts?" Fluttershy asked.

"Because it has to be earned Shy. She couldn't give it to me anyway. Princess Celestia decides on that and only the top fliers of the Academy get a shot. I've gotta be on my game and on top of everything if I want my chance. Besides, all the Wonderbolts would have to approve and only Soarin and my mom would. The others don't know me very well. They never cared to get to know me. I was just that kid that lived with Spitfire." Rainbow explained.

"Oh...sorry." she apologized

"Nah, its alright. I like it better this way. Cause I get to show them what I'm made of." Rainbow grinned.

"And its gonna be a hell of a show."


KNOCK,KNOCK. Firefly smiled as she opened the door, already expecting the hug that nearly knocked her to the ground. Rainbow grinned, still a bit shorter than her.

"Hi Auntie"

"Hello Rainbow. You've been staying out of trouble I hope?"

"Uh, yea, totally." Rainbow fibbed, smiling nervously

"Really? No trouble with the law or two crooked knights?" she asked with a knowing smile.

"You heard about that?" Rainbow gulped

"I hear everything Dash." She winked to Fluttershy "Isn't that right dear?"

"u-um, yes Miss Firefly" Fluttershy stammered with a light blush. Rainbow cleared her throat, trying to change the subject.

"Mom said we could stay for the weekend, see some sights and whatnot."

"Sure thing Dash, but first lets get you two settled in." Firefly chuckled, letting them into her home. Rainbow sighed happily as she looked around.

"So, what are your plans now that you two are outta High School?" Firefly asked, handing them each a soda. Rainbow grinned as she popped the top off.

"Soon as I get the chance I'm gonna start attending the Flight Academy, get my Official Fliers license and join the Wonderbolts!" she said excitedly. Firefly paused for a moment, forcing a smile.

"And what about you Fluttershy?"

"O-oh, well. Um...I'm going to be a vet, but I need my Fliers license if I want to be able to really take care of the birds so I'll be going with Rainbow. F-For a year anyway." Fluttershy said softly, cradling her soda. Rainbow and Firefly both blinked glancing over at her.

"Shy, uh...the Flight Academy is pretty tough. You sure you're up for it?" Rainbow asked.

"Of course I'm sure Rainbow. B-but um..."

"Don't worry Shy, I got your back." Rainbow chuckled, clinking her soda bottle against her friends. Fluttershy visibly relaxed and sipped her own soda, Angel dozing off in her lap with a carrot held against his chest.


"Ugh, I can't sleep." Rainbow grumbled. She glanced over at the bed across the room, seeing Fluttershy curled up in her blanket and fast asleep with Angel's head under her chin. The bunny was annoying sometimes, but Rainbow had to admit he was...okay at times.

That was as far as she'd go on that topic. She sighed as she sat up in her cloudbed. She couldn't understand Fluttershy's need to sleep on anything else. Skyborn were made for clouds, but her friend was happy without them.

As long as she had her animals. Rainbow sighed, hopping out of bed and landing silently on the ground. She peeked her head out of her room, making sure the coast was clear as she snuck towards the kitchen.

"Looking for something?" Firefly asked, causing her to jump moments before reaching for the fridge.

"I uh...couldn't sleep." Rainbow mumbled, turning to face her aunt. Firefly sat in her chair, several gun parts strewn across the table for cleaning.

"Dash...come sit down, I wanna talk to you." Firefly said softly. Rainbow sat across from her, resting her hands in her lap and trying to relax.

"Dash, are you sure this is what you want? To be a Wonderbolt?" Firefly asked. Rainbow blinked in surprise.

"What kind of question is that? Of course its what I want! The Wonderbolts are amazing and without em I'd still be...well...you know." Rainbow rambled, rubbing her arm.

"Being a Wonderbolt isn't just about doing good Rainbow. Its also incredibly dangerous. Its not just fun and games. They are going to make you a soldier, everyday you'll be fighting an invisible war Rainbow. There are things that go on in our everyday lives that no one knows about. No one but the Wonderbolts." Firefly sighed, hanging her head.

"I don't care Auntie. If I can help even one person, to save some kid from going through what I went through...I'd give anything." Rainbow admitted.

"Even if you had to kill people?" Firefly choked out. Rainbow froze, glancing down at the table.

"This is..."

"Yes, it is. I haven't used it since that day." Firefly confirmed. Rainbow gulped and without thinking started to piece it together while Firefly watched. It took her longer than she would've liked, but eventually she had the entire thing put together. A 9mm Anti-Magian Riot-control pistol. The same one Rainbow had killed Comet with.

"Its yours." Firefly said softly.

"What?"

"If you want to be a Wonderbolt, you're gonna have to learn to use one and keep one with you. So its yours...unless you turn back now Rainbow. You're so gifted...there is so much else you could do." Firefly grabbed her hands, folding them over the pistol.

"But I won't force you to change your mind. Just promise me you'll be okay..." she closed her eyes, managing to hold back her tears. Rainbow stared at the gun and then at Firefly, unsure of what to say.

"I Promise."

PreviousChapters Next