• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 9,584 Views, 504 Comments

Discovering Friendship - Saro0fdemonz



Twilight Sparkle, aspiring student of Princess Celestia has been tasked with the most difficult challenge a Magian must face. Making friends. Along the way she will discover what it means to truly be a friend and uncover a power unlike any other.

  • ...
38
 504
 9,584

PreviousChapters
S2EP25

"I hate this," Rainbow mumbled, sitting just in front of the stone.

"I'm not happy with it either. That's my boss in there ya know. I'm supposed to be at his side in situations like this but I'm as useful as wet tissue in there," Vinyl sighed, leaning against a tree and still cloaked in her armor.

"Twilight's brother...He's a rather interesting one," Rarity murmured.

"Royal Knight Captain Shining Armor. The Aegis of Celamont. Royal Soldier and official highest ranking officer of the Guard. He's a handful," Vinyl pointed out.

"He just put a shield around himself, right?" Rainbow asked softly, her mana sparking weakly.

"He did a hell of a lot more than that. You can't see the flow of mana like we do but if you tried that trick of his it'd probably kill you," Vinyl sighed.

"Hell, it'd probably kill me. He's a crazy one, that's for sure," she grumbled.

"But there's a way for a Magian to deal with that kind of shit? A way I could go in there?" Rainbow demanded as she stood.

"Sure, but it's not some shit you can just pickup like that spell Rarity gave you," Vinyl argued. Rainbow swore under her breath.

"I can't just sit here and do nothing! I promised I'd be there for her!" Rainbow shouted at them.

"You are here for her Darling. She's able to power on because she knows you are here," Rarity spoke softly.

"Listen Rainbow...I know it sucks being stuck out here, especially with me," Vinyl chuckled a little "But if I were Sparky? Knowin' I had you out here as a safety net? I could face down anything,"

Rainbow glanced between them and huffed, turning her gaze back to the tree.

"Her brother can handle that...right?"

"Far as I know, he's properly war trained. From what I hear, he'd have my job if I wasn't around," Vinyl answered honestly.

"Then I guess I'll just wait..."


Applejack panted heavily, Big Mac wearing a small smile as he wiped away a bit of sweat.

"Lets call it there fer now," he rumbled, patting a bit of dirt from his shirt. Applejack sighed and stood upright, feeling several joints pop.

"Ah s'pose that's a good idea. Honestly dunno how much longer ah could go for..." she chuckled nervously, rubbing at her arm.

"You've gotten a lot better," Big Mac pointed out, motioning toward the damage around them. Several craters dotted the area around them, but not a single one touched any of their precious trees. Big Mac had no intention of destroying his own property, but he had made it a point to try and at least damage the roots partially to truly test his sister.

He was proud to find not even a single leaf out of place.

"An ya'll are still holdin' back on me," Applejack accused.

"This here was a sparrin' session little sis, not a real fight," Big Mac argued gently. Applejack frowned at that and let out a sigh.

"Ah guess yer right. Ah'm jus'...Ah'm worried," she admitted, gripping her arm. Big Mac smiled and grabbed her hat, placing it on top of her head.

"Ya'll got a bunch of wonderful friends by yer side. Trust in them like they trust in you an ya'll are gonna be jus' fine lil sis," he murmured, patting her shoulder as he headed toward the barn.

"Yea..."


"Ya know, kind of rethinking this one..." Scootaloo admitted while Applebloom double checked the harness.

"Well we've got Nyx with a buffer spell ready an ah've got a backup if that fails. 'Sides, we also got plenty of mats under ya. We can call it off if ya ain't comfy," Applebloom pointed out, Nyx giving her a thumbs up. Scootaloo took a slow breath.

"N-No. I can do this...I gotta do this. I'm just nervous," Scootaloo admitted.

"Well its something totally new. But I know Bloom and Nyx won't let you down," Sweetie Belle tossed in, standing by with a med-kit and a smile.

"Alright girls, I'm counting on all of you. H-Here I go!" Scootaloo declared, spreading out her wings and kicking off the ground, giving her wings a few flaps and stumbling about. She blinked as she found Nyx beside her, the girl flicking one of her wings against hers and stabilizing her in the air. Nyx drifted down just below her, standing on the mat while Scootaloo hovered in place.

"Whoa, you can fly?!" Scootaloo gasped.

"I uh...learned," Nyx chuckled nervously.

"Oh, right. Well, how am I doin' then?"

Nyx walked a slow circle around her and nodded.

"You're a little tense. You've gotta relax or you are gonna drop like a rock. Just trust in the harness and feel it out," Nyx offered.

"Right, sure, just relax," she mumbled. She glanced at each of her friends, seeing them each ready to jump in if need be. Nyx already had, further proving that she could count on her.

"Okay...okay..." Scootaloo took a slow breath and closed her eyes, giving her wings a gentle flap, tilting left and then right. She could feel Applebloom giving some slack to the harness and coasted along, rising up and gliding back down. All the while Nyx walked underneath her. Scootaloo slowly dropped to the ground, landing on the mat and letting out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding.

"That was great!" Nyx cheered, hugging her. Scootaloo threw her arms tightly around her, burying her face in against her as she held her.

"Huh? Y-You okay?" Nyx stammered.

"T-Thanks," Scootaloo stammered. Nyx let out a soft sigh and tightened her arms around her.

"Anytime...What are sisters for?" Nyx chuckled. Scootaloo grinned and hopped back, holding out her hand as she lightly hovered.

"You gonna fly with me or just leave me hangin' here?"

"I do owe you one," Nyx smirked, accepting her hand and slowly spreading out her wings. The two gently hovered in front of each other, idly gliding back and forth. All the while Applebloom kept a careful hold of the rope, giving it more slack little by little.

"It's almost like they are dancing," Sweetie Belle whispered beside her. Applebloom gave a little nod, staying focused on the task at hand. Nyx seemed to guide Scootaloo along, shifting forward or back with Scootaloo following behind.

Nyx pulled away from Scootaloo and coasted backwards, holding out her hands toward her friend. Scootaloo smirked and gave a twitch of her wings, coasting along and snatching Nyx by her hands as she started to spin, the two giggling as they drifted down to the ground.


"A Skyborn who can do magic and a Magian who can fly...And they are sisters?" Diamond Tiara mumbled to herself as she watched the group from behind a tree. She did her best to keep her phone steady as she recorded the entire interaction between them, including the little dance they did in the air. She wanted to get a good shot of Nyx's shoulder but her sweater kept them both hidden from view. Though she was certain she had seen the girl use magic before and Applebloom had even mentioned something about her having a spell ready.

"And the farmgirl...she said she had a backup. Is this whole group just a bunch of freaks?"

They have been blessed with strength to match their guardians...the bearers...we can control them, take their strength! the voice echoed. She grinned and tucked her phone away as she placed her hand upon the jewel.

"Yes...why be friends when I can have them beg at my feet?" she giggled and marched away.


Pinkie pouted to herself as everyone left her behind. She wasn't happy with it but he was right. If she got involved in the fighting, especially in the middle of town, a lot of people might get hurt.

She was tempted to follow after them but her Pinkie Sense went off the moment she stepped forward, telling her she was needed in town. A glance around showed nothing, but her Pinkie Sense hadn't failed her yet. Despite her own feelings, she would listen to what it had to say.

With a sigh she marched back into Sugarcube corner to go about her day. A quick smack to her cheeks and her smile was back, the baker hopping over the front counter and sliding into the kitchen.

"Alrighty, no more achin', its time for bakin!" she snorted.


Zecora smiled at them as they entered her home, casting her gaze over Shining Armor's barriers.

"Impressive is the skill you show, but no harm is meant here you know," she stated.

"I appreciate the compliment, but you're a bit insane to think a Magian should enter a place like this unprepared," Shining argued lightly, clenching his fist.

"We can leave. This has to be taxing, even for you," Spike spoke up. Shining glanced over at Twilight and grinned, giving her a wink.

"I'll be fine. After all, my sister needs me," he chuckled. Twilight bit her lip and sighed.

"i-I'll try to be quick. Thank you...Miss Zecora, you..." she blinked as Zecora held up her hand. The woman motioned to a few pillows on the ground. Watching Jinx claim one they realized they were being offered a space to sit. Twilight accepted and was quickly flanked by Spike and her brother.

"What is it you want with my sister?" Shining Armor asked, a bit softer this time as his breathing slowed and his mana calmed. He rested his hands on his knees and kept his gaze focused on the woman.

"Deep within a power awakens, something ancient and sometimes...mistaken. If she wishes to survive this life lesson, I offer in turn a few...sessions..." she murmured, tapping her chin.

"What do you know about The Madness?" Spike asked, crossing his arms. Shining and Twilight glanced over at him but he kept his gaze forward.

"Your kind call it Chaos, that's all you've ever known it as I guess. But when it comes from a true pure-blood caster like whoever you all tussled with, it leaves a mark. Not to mention how your own brand of magic works. The long an short of this shit is that girl there is Tainted and eventually it'll kill her," Jinx pointed to Twilight. She gripped her staff and gulped.

Shining placed his hand on her shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

"So what? You have some sort of cure?" Shining asked.

"A cure? This is no disease, but I do offer a solution if it would put you at ease. I will share what I know, so that the girl may learn control," Zecora smiled.

"And you offer this service freely? There must be some other goal here or why would you threaten the safety of our home?" Spike demanded.

"Z here likes to teach. She also has this weird thing about balance and nature, I don't fuckin' get it. But you," Jinx pointed at Twilight again, his eyes shifting to bright yellow as he chuckled.

"You are gonna do big things kid," he murmured as his eyes returned to normal.

"So its Prophecy then. Something she has to be ready for?" Spike looked between them and received no answer.

"Whats the Madness?" Twilight choked out.

"Discord's Madness...Isn't something that can properly be explained. In your fight, he poisoned your body and mind with his Chaos, his own Being. Eventually it will kill you or drive you into complete insanity...I-I wanted to have Vinyl try to purge it but doing so would kill her and possibly fail all together...

I wanted to remove it myself, but every time I look for it...its gone...There isn't any way for us to get rid of it. The only chance of survival is Peace of Mind...So we didn't tell you, in hopes that we could simply help you to enjoy the little things...to go back to your normal life. To be happy and in turn, push it back..." Spike lowered his head and took a shuddering breath.

"Not a bad plan little man, but not really enough. It's all ya had though. No reason to beat yourself up over bein' weak," Jinx chuckled, patting Spike on the shoulder.

"S-So you'll teach me to fight this?" Twilight asked of Zecora. The woman nodded, the beads in her hair clacking together.

"And you plan to have her be here for these sessions? Standing on top of an Anti-Magic Zone?" Shining grit his teeth.

"You're here, ain't ya? If she wants to live through this, she's gotta learn to handle it," Jinx argued.

"Long ago, your kind did channel as I do. If you'd like I can teach it to you," Zecora offered. As she spoke a wisp of mana danced around her but never through her. Several more wisps appeared about the room, just idly floating by until one landed in Twilight's lap. She sat her staff across her legs and cupped her hands around the wisp, giggling a little.

"It's...warm..." she murmured and closed her eyes.

"A quick learner I see. I suppose this truly is your destiny," Zecora smiled.

"Alright...we'll do this, BUT...I need time to show Twilight how to withstand this place. So if you need to do these sessions before then we will do them outside of here. Is that good enough?" Shining asked. Jinx glanced at Zecora before turning back to them.

"That's fine for now. Me or Zecora will show up to bring her here when her lessons start. If she doesn't show up, we'll drag her here. She's a ticking time bomb an could go off any minute. Honestly it'd be easier just to kill her," Jinx shrugged, grinning as both Spike and Shining glared at him.

"But I don't make the choices around here. Zecora wants her alive, so she gets to live. That's just how it goes," he sighed and flopped onto his back.

"I apologize for him and must emphasize that I do not do this on a whim. Long have I traveled to be here and I know my path is clear. You walk a dangerous road, though of course I am sure you've been told. I will try my best not to cause you strife or to interfere with your daily life," Zecora promised.

"I...I appreciate it. Thank you for seeking me out. May we go?" Twilight glanced at Shining, seeing he was breathing a little heavier now.

"Yea go on, get out. Let me have my damn nap," Jinx waved his hand at them. Zecora leaned forward, giving Twilight's hand a squeeze. When she let go the trio found themselves outside the hut.

"Whoa! Uh...Welcome back?" Rainbow chuckled a little. She gasped as Twilight suddenly hugged her and quickly threw her arms around her.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay..." Rainbow murmured. Vinyl laughed a little from nearby.

"What'd I tell ya? Everything's good," she teased, Rainbow glaring at her for a moment.

"That was rather quick. Did you find everything you needed Twilight?" Rarity asked softly.

"I...I honestly don't know..."

"Twilight..." Shining sighed, his mana vanishing, "Take some time to rest. Tomorrow, we start training,"

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 3 )

Always happy to see another chapter come out as this is one of my favourite stories, I just love everything about it and with that said keep up the awesome work and cant wait for more

Always a pleasure to read another chapter of this story. Makes the day a little better

decided to reread this after a long time still as captivating as I remember hope to see it continued someday:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment