• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 9,576 Views, 504 Comments

Discovering Friendship - Saro0fdemonz



Twilight Sparkle, aspiring student of Princess Celestia has been tasked with the most difficult challenge a Magian must face. Making friends. Along the way she will discover what it means to truly be a friend and uncover a power unlike any other.

  • ...
38
 504
 9,576

PreviousChapters Next
Episode Six: A Generous Encounter

Everything seemed to slow down as Applejacks words reached her.

"H-heh, th-thats not a funny joke sis." Applebloom stammered.

"Ah'm not jokin' Applebloom. Its th' truth, an ya'll deserve to know it." Applejack said softly.

"B-but...why?! You told me my parents were dead! Why would ya lie t' me like that!?" Applebloom demanded, receiving concerned glances from a few of the party guests.

"Ah didn't want t' lie t' ya like that Applebloom, Ah swear! Ah wanted so badly t' tell ya, but they were gonna take ya away from me a-and once th' lie was out it was so hard t' take it back...Ah'm so sorry..." Applejack began to sob, hanging her head. Applebloom was furious.

Her entire life she had been lied to. She wanted to swear, to throw something, to curse her sis...her mothers name...but she couldn't. Here was her mother, a horrible mess before her.

She had never known Applejack to lie about anything, no matter the consequence to herself. So for her to lie about this...

"Ya still coulda told me." Applebloom grumbled. Applejack could only continue to apologize, blinking as Applebloom hugged her.

"Y-Ya aren't mad?" Applejack sniffed.

"No, ah'm really mad at ya. Ya lied t' me, for my whole entire life! But if ah had t' choose bein' lied t' or never even gettin' to know ya, ah guess it was better t' think of ya as my sister." Applebloom admitted. The two shared a tight hug.

"Ya'll aren't gonna go around bein' a mushy mom or anythin' are ya?" Applebloom asked. Applejack chuckled and shook her head.

"Ah'm not gonna change Applebloom. Only thing different is th' truth is out an ah can stop bein' the bossy big sis." she joked.

"Um, what 'bout my pa?" Applebloom asked slowly. Applejack froze and lowered her head.

"H-He didn't care one ounce fer us." Applejack shook as she spoke. It wasn't a lie, in a sense it was true. He had only cared for himself.

"Oh, so ah'm not gonna meet him?" she continued to dig, wanting to know everything.

"As far as ah know he's dead. And its probably better that way." Applejack sighed.

"He hurt ya that bad?"

"Worse. But that ain't important Applebloom. Whats important is...ah'm here fer ya an ah ain't goin' anywhere." Applejack promised.

"Ah'm gonna miss havin' a sister." Applebloom mumbled, the two bursting into laughter. Nearby the girls glanced at the Element of Honesty, seeing it glow brightly.

"I'd call that mission accomplished girls." Rarity whispered excitedly.

"Yea, an it looks like the kid took it well." Rainbow pointed out, her attention drawn away as the doorbell chimed. In walked a young woman, blue frazzled hair meshed into the arch of her name-brand headphones and her face adorned with her trademark shades.

"Oh no..." Rarity gasped, glancing around quickly and trying to hide herself behind Twilight.

"Rarity, I know you are a big fan of celebrities, but is this necessary?" Twilight asked, glancing over her shoulder.

"That monster is no Celebrity Twilight!" Rarity hissed under her breath.

"Hey Rares!" Vinyl Scratch called out, wading through the crowd of fans gathering around her.

"What do you want Vinyl?" Rarity said through gritted teeth.

"What? Can't a gal visit her sister?"

"SISTER?!" Twilight and Rainbow gasped. Rarity sighed, crossing her arms.

"We both know you didn't pop in for a friendly visit, now what do you want?" Rarity pressed. Vinyl sighed, tilting her shades down slightly and revealing her deep red eyes.

"You know what I want Rarity." Vinyl said softly.

"And you know you won't get it." Rarity hissed.

"Are you going to stop me?"

"TIME OUT!" Rainbow stepped between them.

"First! Can I get your autograph?!" Rainbow asked excitedly. Vinyl flashed a grin and signed the CD Rainbow held out for her.

"Where were you even keeping that?" Twilight asked.

"Duh, my pocket."

"But the back could get horribly scratched!" Twilight argued.

"Relax Twi', There's no music on this disc, I just kept it around in case I ever bumped into someone. Turns out I got lucky." Rainbow grinned, staring at the autograph.

"Okay, ya got your autograph, now what else?" Vinyl asked.

"Huh? Oh, yea right. Just what the heck are you trying to take from my friend?!" Rainbow growled. Vinyl chuckled softly.

"Wow, one minute you're my biggest fan and the next my enemy."

"Hey, awesome at music or not, no one hurts my friends." Rainbow argued.

"That's pretty cool of ya Rainbow. But this is more important than some code. I'm not hurting anyone, I'm here to help." Vinyl explained.

"Yea right."

"She's telling the truth." Spike said from beside Twilight. He glanced over at the DJ and then at the crowd.

"We should take this somewhere more private." he suggested. "Meet back at the library."


The tension in the air could break bones if it was any thicker. Vinyl sat in Twilights armchair, nursing a cup of tea, while Rarity sat on the couch between Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Applebloom sat on the ground playing a board-game with her new friends, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. Twilight stood at the end of the main table, pacing back and forth while Spike stood before the room.

"Should the other kids be here for this?" Vinyl asked.

"No harm in letting them stay." Spike pointed out.

"Ya know we can hear ya right?" Applebloom asked.

"Applebloom be nice." Applejack mumbled. the youngest apple grumbled under her breath and went back to her game.

"Okay, lets start from the beginning." Twilight sighed.

"Alright then. My name is Vinyl Scratch, otherwise known as Vanessa Diamondheart Filigree of House Filigree in Celamont. I am the current Head of our noble house and Eldest Sister of Rarity and Sweetie Belle and I am here to take Sweetie Belle with me."

"Huh? I'm going away with you sis?" Sweetie Belle spoke up, worry in her voice.

"No you're not Sweetie Belle. She has no right to take you away." Rarity assured her.

"Why do you want to take her?" Twilight asked, silencing the impending argument. Vinyl glanced over at Spike, who gave a simple nod.

"I'm not just a simple Dj, or a little noble girl. The Filigree house tree is full of mysterious things, the number one thing being, that we are a house of Vampires." Vinyl said, removing her shades. The room fell silent as Rarity hung her head.

"You mean like undead, bloodsucking, sex crazed freaks?" Rainbow asked.

"Undead? No. Blood sucking? yes. Sex Crazed? Well, ask my girlfriend." she winked. Rarity cleared her throat.

"Yes, thank you very much for that unneeded bit of information. I am quite sure Octavia is a very happy woman, now please leave!" Rarity yelled.

"Rarity...i-is that true?" Sweetie Belle asked. Rarity glanced down at her sister, trying to stammer an excuse.

"Its true Belle. You, me, and Rarity are vampires. Its not so bad though. Its kinda fun!" Vinyl answered.

"I'm going to go get some tea..." Twilight mumbled, making her way into the kitchen.

"Belle, You're a vampire and you didn't tell me?!" Scootaloo asked.

"I-I'm sorry! I didn't know! Please don't hate me..."

"Hate you? Why would I hate you? You're a vampire, that's so cool! Can you fly? Whats it like being a bat?" Scootaloo started to pester her with questions.

"How am I suppose to know?!" Sweetie Belle argued

"Maybe ya'll change in yer sleep or somethin." Applebloom suggested.

"I never thought of that..."

"Well, they seem fine with it." Vinyl grinned. Rarity however was doing her best to kill her elder sister with her thoughts and failing miserably.

"Okay, so, lemme get this straight. Rainbow is some kinda Magian-Skyborn hybrid, Twilight is the great granddaughter of some all powerful wizard, an Rarity is a vampire. Anyone else seein' a pattern here?" Applejack asked.

"Funny you should say that. Thats the whole reason the Elements picked you six." Spike replied. Silence followed his answer. With a sigh he decided to elaborate.

"The Elements of Harmony can only be bound to extraordinary people. People who stand out and make a difference in the world, who do their best against all odds to prove they can make a living in a world that is throwing everything against them. You suffered a horrible trauma and refused to let it run your life. Rainbow suffered loss after loss and fought to get where she is today, Twilight struggled through tomes that would make Celestia's brain hurt, Rarity...well thats her story to tell."

"Spike, how do you know all of this?" Rarity asked.

"He's my boss for starters." Vinyl pointed out, causing Rarity's jaw to drop.

"Yea, I'm lucky number two of the four bad asses kept around to protect Celestia. Well, we're protecting you guys now, but you get the point."

"Wait, that was you outside with Spike?!" Rainbow asked. Vinyl grinned.

"I look pretty sweet in armor huh?" she said with a waggle of her eyebrows

"Vinyl!" Rarity growled.

"yea yea, pipe down Rare-bear." Vinyl teased.

"Ah still don't get why ya'll wanna take away Sweetie Belle." Applejack intervened.

"Ya see, the thing about us, Vampires, we get thirsty, really thirsty. When we reach a certain age, that thirst is all we can think about, until it takes control of us and sends us on a literal bloodthirsty rampage." Vinyl explained.

"Sweetie Belle isn't like that!" Rarity argued.

"And I thought you weren't like that Rarity. How many people did you drain dry before I caught up to you?!" Vinyl yelled, silencing the fashionista.

"B-But I feel fine!" Sweetie Belle squeaked. Vinyl sighed.

"Sure Belle. You feel fine now, but you're already squeaking. Puberty's a bitch, especially for us. Thats why I gotta take you with me for a few weeks. I'll teach you how to fight your thirst, we'll find you a good bank to keep you outta trouble and get you back home as soon as possible." Vinyl promised.

"I don't wanna leave!" Sweetie Belle cried.

"You won't Sweetie belle. Not if I can help it." Rarity promised.

"Rarity, when was the last time you fed? I mean really fed. You look paler than Dad." Vinyl argued.

"I keep a good supply, they mail it to me from Celamont."

"I mean a real meal. You'll have to be at full strength when she changes. If I hadn't been strong enough to stop you then I'd just be another body left in your rampage. Do you wanna drop that on her?" Vinyl asked. The other occupants in the room fell silent, knowing when to keep out of family matters.

"I'm strong enough Vinyl! I won't let you take her away! No matter what I have to do, no matter how bad it may seem. She loves it here and I won't ruin her childhood the way you ruined mine!" Rarity yelled, her Element flashing and her armor appearing on her body. Vinyl grinned and stood, setting her cup down on the table.

"Alright Rarity, you wanna have the responsibility of keeping her out of trouble? Beat me in a duel and I'll back off." Vinyl challenged. Rarity jumped to her feet, her armor clinking against itself.

"Fine!"

"Not in the library!" Twilight called from the kitchen. The two sisters chuckled nervously, walking out the front door. Everyone in the room glanced between one another before rushing outside to watch the battle.

"Be honest with me Spike. Does Rarity stand a chance against Vinyl?" Twilight asked.

"I really don't know. Vinyl is my second in command and one of the strongest Magians I've ever met. She could give you a run for your bits if she went all out." He whispered. Rarity drew the claymore from her back, twirling it about with ease in one hand, her eyes fading to red as she glared at her sister. Vinyl grinned, clapping her hands together before shifting her feet apart, arms spread wide in what appeared to be a ridiculous kung-fu stance.

"Ain't she gonna use a weapon?" Applejack asked.

"She is a weapon." Spike chuckled.

"I recognize that stance. Thats the Death Dragon Stance!" Rainbow gasped, stars in her eyes.

"Death Dragon? Why don't I like the sound of that?" Twilight gulped.

"Unlike most Magians, Vinyl fights with her hands. She isn't a big fan of weapons and isn't afraid to get dirty. Its part of the reason she's second in command." Spike explained. Vinyl's deep red eyes seemed to glow faintly, a red hue surrounding her entire being. Rarity gritted her teeth and clutched her sword with both hands as she rushed forward.

Vinyl slid around her, slamming her palms into the back of her armor, sending the younger Magian flying across the street and into Twilights neighbors' home.

"S-she barely tapped her! Is she really a Magian?" Twilight asked.

"She is, but theres more to both of them than meets the eye Twilight. Notice Vinyls magic?" he asked. Twilight looked closer, seeing thin fibers of mana dancing across the elder sisters entire body.

"She's channeling an insane amount of mana to her muscles...that has to be putting quite a bit of strain on her body..."

"Normally, yes. But as a well kept vampire her body repairs itself before any real damage can be done." Spike fell silent as Rarity crawled out of the rubble of the home, happy the owner wasn't occupying it at the time of her 'visit'. She gasped as Vinyl was instantly in front of her, smashing her fist into the ground where the fashionista had been a moment ago.

In an incredible show of strength the younger sister had stabbed the claymore into the ground and flung herself backwards using it to push herself away. Vinyl grabbed hold of the blade and blinked as she was unable to lift it.

Rarity took the chance to tackle her sister to the ground, grunting as Vinyl rolled with the tackle and slammed Rarity into the dirt, her arm jammed against her throat.

"Just give it up Rarity. I'm still holding back and you can't even land a hit. Do you really think you can handle Belle in this condition? Harmonic Powers or not, you can't do this!" Vinyl argued. Rarity threw out her arm, her Claymore coming to her. Vinyl dodged out of the way as she swung the blade, giving Rarity a chance to push to her feet.

"You can do it Sis!" Sweetie Belle cried.

"Thanks Sweetie!" Vinyl and Rarity said together, blinking in surprise. Rarity shook her head and rushed forward once more, knowing how Vinyl would react. Just as she went to slash she saw it, a pivot and an attempt to circle around her.

Without hesitating she spun the claymore around her back, roaring as she slammed the flat side as hard as she could into Vinyl, sending the Magian skidding across the ground. She panted heavily, her arms shaking and the blade slightly cracked, but she had landed a hit.

"I'm impressed Rare-bear." Vinyl's fangs began to show, her eyes glowing brightly and her magic flaring to the point that even Applejack could see the mana encircling her.

"But you aren't anywhere near my level." she said softly, vanishing in an instant and smashing her arm into the back of Rarity's neck, sending the younger sister sprawling across the ground and skidding to a stop in front of her friends.

"RARITY!' they cried out, kneeling down next to her, the armor around her fading away slowly.

"Rarity! Oh no..." Sweetie Belle sat next to her, grabbing her hand. Rarity looked weakly over at her younger sister, seeing the panic in her eyes.

"Belle...you've got...to run." She gasped, feeling something crack as she tried to sit up.

"Stay down Rarity. It'll take a moment for your bones to reset." Vinyl said as her magic slowly faded away. Vinyl reached for Sweetie Belle, blinking as Applejack caught her arm, runes in full glow.

"Now ya'll wait jus' a second there. Ya say Rarity can't keep her sister cause she ain't strong 'nough. But ya'll are forgettin' that she has us around." Applejack growled, her free hand dropping down next to Rarity's face. The wounded vampire could just barely make out a cut on the hand, blood dripping from it.

"And ah think that ya'll should try that little magic trick o' yers again with us showin ya jus' how tough we can be." Applejack finished.

"Thats sweet of ya Applejack. But Rarity tore through seven Gaians, Ten Magians and even a handful of Skyborn before I could catch her. And I can teleport next to her whenever I want. How are you gonna keep a hold of a rampaging Belle?" Vinyl asked. Rarity latched onto Applejacks hand, the farmer hiding a wince.

"Why don't ya let me show ya?" Applejack asked. Vinyl raised an eyebrow and shrugged.

"Just so ya know, I'm not paying for your hospital bill. Rarity will heal up in an hour at most. But you'll be hurtin for a lot longer if you tussle with me cowgirl." Vinyl warned. Applejack smiled.

"Well, won't hurt t' try!" Applejack laughed, Rarity appearing behind Vinyl and roaring as she smashed her arm across her neck, sending her skidding across the ground. Sweetie Belle sat there in shock, having watched her sister chomp down on Applejacks hand and suddenly vanish. Rarity panted heavily, hair a mess and blood clinging to her lip.

"Applejack, darling..."

"Yea Rarity?" Applejack gulped.

"I owe you one." she said softly, stepping backwards and catching Vinyl by the arm, roaring as she pinned her to the dirt and pulled hard on her arm.

"FUCK! I GIVE! I GIVE!" Vinyl cried out, tapping the dirt. Rarity kept her hold on her arm.

"Not good enough Vinyl. I need your word that you won't take Sweetie Belle away, that you won't try any tricks!" Rarity yelled, pushing the arm a bit further.

"HEY! I NEED THAT ARM!" Vinyl yelled back.

"PROMISE ME!" Rarity demanded, shoving her shoulder out of its socket

"FINE!" Vinyl gasped as Rarity let go of her arm, letting her roll onto her side and grab hold of her shoulder.

"That was a bit of a nasty trick sis."

"It wasn't my idea really, but you always told me to do what has to be done." Rarity admitted, brushing her hair out of her face as she sat down. Rarity gasped in pain as Sweetie Belle tackled her. The red in her eyes faded as she held her sister close.

"Rarity..." she sniffed

"Shh, everything is just fine Sweetie Belle." Rarity said softly. Vinyl smiled as she watched them, grunting as her shoulder popped back into place.

"Rarity, I still think you aren't ready for this. But my word is my word, just keep your friends close, alright?" Vinyl asked. Rarity glanced over at Applejack, Applebloom fussing over her hand.

"Alright."


Spike and Vinyl stood outside, having a conversation the others apparently could not be included in. Rarity was sitting on the couch, Sweetie Belle asleep in her lap. Applejack sat beside her, Applebloom resting her head on her mothers lap and dozing off. Scootaloo crossed her arms, sitting on the carpet wide awake.

"Scootaloo, shouldn't you be getting home? Its getting late." Twilight said. Scootaloo grumbled under her breath and stood.

"My place sucks" she whined.

"I'm sure your parents wouldn't appreciate that."

"They might if they existed." she scoffed.

"What?" Twilight blurted out

"Scoots is an orphan." Sweetie Belle mumbled, half asleep against Rarity. Rainbow raised an eyebrow, looking at the girl. The dirt covering her clothes, cheap band-aids over her cuts from possible crash landings. She couldn't believe she hadn't seen it sooner.

"Say kid, you wanna hang with me for tonight?" Rainbow asked. Scootaloo's jaw dropped, her eyes sparkling as she nodded.

"That would be awesome!" Scootaloo squee'd. Rainbow chuckled and spread out her wings, blinking as Scootaloo spread out her own.

"Uh...D-did your parents, er...did anyone teach you to fly kid?" Rainbow stammered.

"N-No...my parents were ground-bound...I lost em a couple years ago to some weird disease." Scootaloo mumbled. Rainbows eyes shrank to pinpricks.

"Mareks Disease?" Rainbow asked softly, hanging her head.

"Yea! Thats what they called it. My whole family had it apparantly. But I'm tough, I can handle it!" Scootaloo said, trying to seem tough despite the tears clinging to the corners of her eyes. Rainbow sank to her knees, pulling the girl close to her and hugging her tightly.

"Rainbow...you're kinda scaring me" Scootaloo admitted.

"Kid...j-just...hug me damnit." Rainbow choked. Scootaloo hesitated before hugging her idol. It felt nice...She bit her lip, feeling a sob build in her throat. She had fought back the tears for two years now, she could keep them back. She didn't need to cry, crying was for wimps! She buried her face in the hollow of Rainbows neck and bawled like a baby.

"Its not fair! My parents were good people! I'm a good person! I try to be!"

"I know ya do kid..." Rainbow said quietly. Twilight made her way outside silently.

"He's going to be watching them, you and I both know it!" Vinyl yelled.

"Don't you think I know that!? I fucking saw him!" Spike yelled back.

"Ahem. I hope I'm not interrupting." Twilight interrupted. The two fell silent, turning their attention to her.

"Whats up Twi'?" Spike asked.

"I need you to send a letter to the Princess for me. I need some research materials."

"Sure thing Twilight. What do ya need?"

"I need the research notes of Nightgale Primrose."

Author's Note:

"Yes, thank you very much for that unneeded bit of information. I am quite sure Octavia is a very happy woman, now please leave!" Rarity yelled.

"Rarity...i-is that true?" Sweetie Belle asked. Rarity glanced down at her sister, trying to stammer an excuse.

"Its true Belle. I'm a god in the bedroom!" Vinyl answered for her.


Mareks Disease affects birds and causes paralysis in wings and legs and results in death in many birds. Its the same disease Rainbows father had and the same one she had before her mother Nightgale cured her.


"Ahem. I hope I'm not interrupting." Twilight interrupted.

Twilight gives no fucks for your argument.

PreviousChapters Next