• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 9,581 Views, 504 Comments

Discovering Friendship - Saro0fdemonz



Twilight Sparkle, aspiring student of Princess Celestia has been tasked with the most difficult challenge a Magian must face. Making friends. Along the way she will discover what it means to truly be a friend and uncover a power unlike any other.

  • ...
38
 504
 9,581

PreviousChapters Next
S2EP14

"Are you insane?" Shining Armor demanded

"Perhaps I am captain, but these are my orders," Celestia said softly. He glanced at the scroll once more.

"You want the guards to go on vacation?" he asked.

"Not vacation, Captain. 'Patrol'. Far from Celamont," she chuckled.

"Princess..."

"None of us are a match for her Captain. Even in my prime I could not truly best her, and in our last fight I only managed to buy your sister enough time to acquire the Elements. So once more, she and I shall fight and from there we can only hope the Elements can win,"

"Why not just throw them in ahead of you?" Spike scoffed inside his armor.

"Don't answer that. You intend to wear Nightmare down, being a Celestian of equal strength, even outside your prime, she'll have a tough time killing you. And no matter what your orders, I and my company will fight alongside you," he growled. Celestia smiled sadly.

"My mistakes have given rise to this time and time again, I think it only fitting that I finally end it and I cannot drag you into this Shining Armor. As for you Captain Commander, should we survive this you and I will have words," she scolded him. He only shrugged inside of his armor, turning to Shining Armor.

"I understand your frustration Captain, but your duty is to your people. The time for your fight will come soon enough. I swear to you on my life, I will save Twilight Sparkle,"

Shining sighed, tucking the scroll into his belt.

"If you make it out of this Sir..."

"Then I will tell you everything you wish to know. If I don't, then ask your sister," he chuckled, punching Shining's arm.

"Heh, so she's high enough rank to be let in on all the secrets?" Shining scoffed.

"Actually, just a similar situation. She just got there first Captain. You recall, God of Chaos, Nightmare Moon's return. We just happened to be closer to her than you at the time of those events. I promise, it will all make sense later,"

"I'll take your word on it, for now. If you'll excuse me, I have a city to evacuate,"


Vinyl walked around in circles, finding herself in the middle of nowhere just a ways outside of Celamont.

"The trail hits here...and just sinks into the ground. There's no sewer system out here, is there?" she mumbled, doing another check, her mana pulsing across the ground. She froze as the pulse returned, revealing several large holes under the ground.

"An underground city, huh, now what are you doing here?" she wondered, focusing her mana around her arms and letting it spiral around and around into drills. With a smirk she began to dig her way down, tunneling her way into the first pocket.

"Well well well, what have we here? A rats nest!?" Vinyl yelled, leaping backwards out of the way of what must have been binding spells. Nothing quite cracked like a binding spell. Unless those had been meant to blow up her head.

"You found us quicker than I expected Lieutenant Commander," Spell Nexus spoke up from the rising dust.

"Look, just hand over Sparkle and the kid and we can do our little dance mono y fisto," she ordered.

"I'm not much of a fighter, but you'll find that she is," he grinned.

"She?" Vinyl gasped as a leg slammed into her head, sending her tumbling across the dirt. She groaned as she stood, spotting HER. Nightmare Moon, sporting a pair of dark blue shorts and matching sleeveless top.

"Kid, you really don't wanna do this dance," Vinyl warned.

"You've come here to hurt them, to hunt me down! I refuse to go without a fight!" she yelled. Vinyl swore under her breath, catching her leg and rolling, bringing Nightmare/Nyx with her and slamming her hard into the ground. She flickered, following up with a hard right into her face, bouncing her into the ground once more.

She refused to let up, slamming her leg into Nightmare's ribs and sending her flying across the ground.

"You fight like a kid! Cause that's what you are! Just a Gods damned kid stuck in an adults world!" Vinyl yelled. Nightmare pushed to her feet, her body shaking. Vinyl gasped as magic coiled tightly around her. Glancing out of the corner of her eye she spotted Twilight Sparkle.

The Magian seemed out of breath, focusing all of her energy on keeping Vinyl restrained.

"Sparky, the fuck are you doing?!" Vinyl yelled, going silent as she spotted her eyes.

What is with all the mindfuck going around these days?

"Please, d-don't...don't hurt her..." Twilight winced, her eye flickering to normal for a moment.

Shit, at least I know you're in there Sparkle...

"I had the chance to kill her and she's still standin', if you wanna keep her that way, AND ME, then you gotta let go, right now!" Vinyl yelled, flaring her mana around herself to block Nightmare's fist.

"If you really mean that, then just leave!" Nightmare demanded, shifting back. Twilight's magic faded from around her and Vinyl relaxed, holding up her hands.

"Look, I couldn't leave if I wanted to, which with Sparkle over there against me, I'd really love to get out of here. But I'm a dog on a tight leash and I've been ordered to chase you," Vinyl explained.

"Well you've chased me. If you can't leave then at least don't attack anyone," Nightmare ordered.

"That's it? You aren't gonna tear my head off? Toss me in chains? Brainwash me?" Vinyl questioned.

"I'm not Celestia," Nightmare scoffed.

Wow that's actually kinda brutal how true that is

"Wow uh...Alright. Mind if I hang out? Pretty sure this Enchantment will kill me if I go back empty handed," Vinyl chuckled. Nightmare flashed a smile, holding out her hand.

"Of course, if you mean no harm then I see no reason to cause you harm,"

Vinyl shook her hand, utterly shocked.

"Wow, shaking hands with Nightmare Moon. Not how I expected my day to go," Vinyl mumbled. She glanced over at Spell Nexus, seeing hatred seething from every pore of the mans body.

"So, whats with tall, dark, an creepy?" Vinyl asked, pointing at Nexus.

"Mister Nexus? He saved me from execution. I owe him my life," Nightmare smiled.

How can this bundle of sweet be Nightmare Moon? Vinyl wondered.

"Right..." she mumbled.

No need to pull the pin on this grenade just yet. Play it cool V and just wait for backup,


"This is horseshit," Rainbow muttered, watching from above as Celamont was abandoned.

"It's the best they can do Rainbow. This is Nightmare Moon after all," Fluttershy said softly from beside her. Rainbow scoffed.

"She wasn't so tough before,"

"We had Twilight before, and she still defeated Princess Celestia before we fought...And we didn't ACTUALLY fight her. Twilight awoke the Elements, remember?" Fluttershy argued gently.

"Yea, whatever. Look, Discord is stronger than Nightmare Moon right? We BEAT Discord, so we can beat Nightmare, simple math," Rainbow shrugged.

"I don't think it's that simple,"

"Well duh, Nyxie is still in there!" Pinkie argued, sitting on top of a small cloud.

"PINKIE!" Rainbow and Fluttershy gasped, both hugging her tight.

"What are you doing here?" Rainbow laughed.

"Oh, me? I'm distracting," she giggled.

"Distracting?" Fluttershy asked. Pinkie nodded.

"Mhm. Oh! Looks like times up," Pinkie poofed into the cloud, the two Skyborn staring at one another.

"What just happened?"


Applejack reacted without thinking, throwing her fist as Pinkie popped into existence in front of her, her Gaian friend sidestepping the blow.

"Whoa! Sorry there Pink's. Ah'm a might be jumpy right now..."

"It's okay Applejack. We've all had a really rough couple of days. Say, do you know where Nyx is?" She asked, looking around.

"Um, Pinkie dear, Nyx isn't Nyx anymore..."

"Ohhh...That's what she meant," Pinkie realized aloud.

"Uh...who meant what now?" Applejack asked, blinking as Pinkie booped her nose and vanished.

"Uh...what th' heck jus' happened?"


"Are you sure this is gonna work AB? How do we even know Nyx is in the castle?" Scootaloo groaned.

"Ah can jus' feel it. An, she ain't there, but she's gonna be, ah can't explain it. We can't stand 'round fer too long though. Ah know ah asked Pinkie t' distract everyone but even she can't keep em busy forever,"

"And why are WE here? We're just a bunch of kids Applebloom," Sweetie Belle whined.

"We're more than jus' a bunch of kids. We're Nyx's friends and she's our friend, so we can't jus' abandon her when she needs us. Ah made her a promise an an Apple never goes back on their promise!" Applebloom argued, holding out her arm to her friends. A panicked crowd surrounded by Guards rushed by, fading into the distance. Applebloom nodded and ran across the street, leading her friends through the alleyways.

"Uh, how in the hell do you know where you're goin'? Scootaloo wondered.

"Ah've been here with Applejack a couple times fer business trips. Ah use t' play hide n' seek with some o' th' local kids 'round here. We're jus' goin' th' long way 'round t' th' Castle. If'n we get spotted we'll be dragged wherever all those people are goin'"

"You mean the people evacuating an entire city? Speakin' of which. Why?" Scootaloo grumbled.

"It can't be anything good..." Sweetie Belle added.

"Whatever it is can wait til after we rescue our friend, come on!"


"Hiya!" Pinkie waved at Celestia.

"Pinkie Pie, I am happy to see you well," Celestia spoke softly, several pieces of armor hovering in her magic while she dressed.

"You look kind of busy Princess," Pinkie noted, walking around her slowly.

"Yes, very busy," Celestia murmured.

"You're gonna fight Nyxie, aren't you?" Pinkie asked.

"I...Yes Pinkie Pie, I am,"

"Why?" Pinkie wondered.

"Because many will suffer if I don't,"

"...That's stupid," Pinkie pointed out. Celestia turned to argue, but she was gone.

"What...just happened?" she wondered aloud.


"I'm surprised," the cloaked woman chuckled. Twilight cracked open an eye to look at the woman floating beside her within her own mind. She took a slow breath, weaving the mana in and around herself faster and faster.

"You said it yourself, we Sparkles figure these things out...I just need to find my way around...this," She sighed, looking up at the giant lock.

"That Nexus is a rather powerful Wizard in his own right. Being juiced up by a God gives him an extra edge," The woman sighed.

"I broke through for a moment...Long enough to stop Vinyl from hurting Nyx, which means that I CAN get through it. I just need to work faster..." Twilight murmured. She blinked in surprise as the woman slinked her arms around her from behind.

"You are trying a bit too hard. Here, relax your mind," She whispered.

"Um..."

"I'm a piece of you Sparkle, don't make this weird,"

"I'm not the one hugging people in my mind," Twilight argued

"Like I said, don't make it weird. I shouldn't be helping you in the first place, but I'd rather not see you stuck here too much longer. You've got stuff to do, so...Relax your mind," she leaned into Twilight, placing a kiss on her cheek.

It was strange, not like the kind of kiss Rainbow would give her. It was more like the kind of kiss her mother would give her.

"What do I even call you? This thing in my head that haunts my dreams and tries to teach me things..."

"Hm, interesting question. I don't exactly have a name. What would you call a piece of yourself that you can't live without?" she asked.

"Magic?" Twilight wondered. She could practically FEEL the woman's smile.

"That seems a fair name. You can refer to me as Magic. Now...That Seal on your mind..."


Spell Nexus paced about his room slowly.

"Our Queen lives, but the child holds domain over their mind...and Magic...She broke free of my hold for a moment. It seems her love for the child is a powerful weapon, one I might be able to use to our advantage," he chuckled.

"Sir?"

"Magic will join our Queen on the assault. Even without the charm, she will do whatever it takes to protect the Child, meaning she will risk her life for our Queen. Celestia won't be able to battle her own student!"


"..her own student!" Nexus declared.

"Shit..." Vinyl swore under her breath, making her way back down the hallway to where Nightmare Nyx sat with Twilight.

"How's she doin' kid?" Vinyl asked, still hidden within her armor. No reason to play her cards just yet.

"She hasn't talked yet...Something is wrong but I have no idea what," Nyx sighed, holding Twilight's hands. Vinyl bit her tongue.

Buried in enemy territory...Options. Tell the kid everything and try to bust out of here. Pro's - she knows the truth an we rescue Sparkle. Cons - she thinks Nexus saved her life, she's gonna believe his word over mine. Other option, I hang around and eyeball the two of em. Pros - I can be there when they try to take Celamont. Cons - I'm gonna have to fight the two of em...Fuck me to the moon,

"Seems like some kind of mind meddling shit to me. Discord did the same thing to his own daughter," Vinyl blurted out. It was a nice in between. She wasn't revealing it was Nexus who brainwashed Twilight, but she wasn't sitting on her hands.

Progress.

"Mind meddling, hm? Is there a way for me to see for myself?" Nyx asked, looking up at her.

"I...I have a way to get in her head. I might be able to bring you along for the ride kid, but I doubt it's pretty in there. This woman...She's like a mother to you, right?" Vinyl asked softly.

"She is. She's very important to me miss. Maybe if I had just listened to her, none of this would've happened..." Nyx sighed. Vinyl knelt down between them.

"Alright, I'll pull you into her head kid, but if shit hits the fan I'm yanking you back and...well I'm not gonna lie kid, it's not gonna be a fun experience," Vinyl warned.

"I don't care. Whatever it takes, she deserves whatever I can give,"

"You're a good kid..." Vinyl chuckled, flaring her magic. Her first step, was to make sure no one disturbed them, her magic coating the door behind her in several layers of seals that would make celestia's head spin.

Should do the walls for good measure... She realized, her mana coating the entire room.

"Deep breaths kid, it's your first time, so I'll be gentle," Vinyl joked.

"my memories say i'm not a virgin," she answered without a thought.

"Those memories aren't you kid..."

"They belong to who I am meant to be. Nightmare Moon did what she did because she felt betrayed and alone. Her own family cast her out. I take up her mantle because Celestia has to be stopped. She was willing to execute a child and anyone who got in the way of that goal. She has to be stopped and if that means becoming this...this monster...then that's what I'll do," Nyx growled.

"Wow kid...that's...heavy," Vinyl sighed, linking her magic between them.

"Alright, bridge is up kid, be sure not to fall off," Vinyl spoke softly. Nyx nodded and Vinyl could feel her mind wander across to Twilight, the incarnation crying out as the connection whipped back and shattered.

"KID!" Vinyl leapt to her feet.

"T-There's a wall, I can't get in..." Nyx groaned, putting a hand to her head. Vinyl swore under her breath. Of course Nexus would've built defenses into his brainwashing. Which only bugged her more. Why hadn't Discord done the same?

"As much as I hate to say it kid...She's gonna have to break herself out of that. I'm sure she can. When uh...When we weren't on talkin' terms, she snapped out of it long enough to keep me from breaking one of your ribs," Vinyl pointed out. Nyx looked up at her and then back to Twilight.

"It's linked to emotion somehow then...W-Which means she does love me," Nyx scoffed, hugging Twilight tightly.

Yea, she loves ya more than ya know Kid...


"I ask that all of you rescue Twilight...I will hold off Nightmare as long as I can. Once you have Twilight, you will be able to use the Elements against Nightmare," Celestia spoke softly.

"There's just one problem with that Princess. When we pulled Nightmare from your sister, they were two seperate beings...Nyx IS Nightmare Moon. If we tear the two apart, what will become of her?" Rarity wondered.

"I honestly do not know,"

"Bullshit! You've known everything, every fucking thing. I'll tell what the fuck is gonna happen, she'll die. Just like I almost did," Rainbow spat, pointing an accusing finger at Celestia.

"Um, what do you mean Rainbow?" Fluttershy asked, glancing between them.

"Magic to a Magian is life. That kid is just a bunch of magic put into a body. The Elements are gonna peel that magic away like skin from bone and she'll have nothing left. When I was in that damn anti magic sphere shit...I felt it...Like everything I was had just been torn apart..." Rainbow wrapped her arms around herself.

"What do you suggest then Rainbow Dash?" Celestia demanded, flaring out her wings and filling herself with as much power as she could hold.

"With all my strength I am hardly a match for her. When the time comes, what can you possibly do to stop her?" she continued.

"I don't fuckin' know...But Twilight'll know. You wanted us to kill Shy for her blood, Twi figured a way around that, she'll figure out a way around this!"

"You have a lot of faith in my daughter," Twilight velvet chuckled as she entered the room.

"I wish I had that. I should've had that...Whatever it takes, we will do what we must. None of us can hope to cause any sort of harm to her, so this is in your hands once more. If you truly believe Twilight can save that girl, then you have my support," she said with a small smile.

Pinkie cleared her throat, tapping her wrist.

"We don't have a lot of time left girls. Nyxie is gonna be coming here any minute now" she pointed out.

"Well, ah s'pose it's now or never then, huh?" Applejack sighed, slipping on her hat.

"Good luck everyone," Celestia smiled sadly.

"She's a good kid," Rainbow said one last time as she and her friends left.

"I know she is..."


Applebloom shivered, holding out her arm. Guards walked by them, seemingly oblivious.

"Okay, so, why are we in the castle?" Scootaloo whispered.

"Cause Nyx is gonna be here an we gotta rescue her," Applebloom repeated herself.

"How do you know?" Sweetie Belle continued to press.

"Ah saw it, okay?! Ah had this weird vision of her sittin' in a room here an cryin'" Applebloom leaned into the wall

"It was all in flashes, but one o' th' big things ah saw was all th' people leavin' Celamont, which means she is gonna be here soon,"

"So your way weirder than mine powers told ya we need to save her, alright, I'll buy it. So, do you know which room?" Scootaloo asked. Applebloom sighed

"No, but she's gotta come through one of these hallways," she stood upright, Chaos sparking around her for a moment.

"Pretty sure its this way, ah jus' hope Pinkie bought us enough time..."


"So many secrets, so many things you always hid from us, what are you hiding this time Discord?" Luna asked. The Chaotician shrugged, a zipper appearing over his mouth. Luna sighed and began to pace back and forth.

"We are aware that the deck you played with was stacked in our favor, so why not tell us the truth?" Luna watched as Discord pulled the zipper open.

"Because no matter what I say, nothing will change, no matter how prepared you think you may be, you are wrong," he spoke softly.

"So wrong that you would throw away everything? Slaughter your friend? Betray thine wife?!" Luna cried. Discord gently grabbed her hands, smiling down at her.

"Sacrifices must be made my dear Lulu. Celestia will never see that. All she will ever know is that Starswirl died by my hand. And surely, you don't intend to let her know you've been diving into my mind?" he chuckled.

"Our curiosity forced our hand. You always have your reasons, you never act unless you must. The Elements...will they be strong enough?"

"I honestly cannot say...I played my last card in the battle with Twilight Sparkle. From this point, it's up to them. Goodbye Lulu," Discord smiled once more, Luna gasping as she awoke.

"I see...You wanted me to speak with you. Your last card, hm? Then why allow me in?"


"MOM!"

"Nyx?!" Twilight gasped at the voice. A ripple filled the void around her as something bounced off the lock.

"Well, that's interesting..." Magic murmured, hovering beside Twilight.

"I have to get out of here...I'm coming Nyx! I swear!"

PreviousChapters Next