• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 9,581 Views, 504 Comments

Discovering Friendship - Saro0fdemonz



Twilight Sparkle, aspiring student of Princess Celestia has been tasked with the most difficult challenge a Magian must face. Making friends. Along the way she will discover what it means to truly be a friend and uncover a power unlike any other.

  • ...
38
 504
 9,581

PreviousChapters Next
S2EP21

Shining rested his hands on his knees, glancing between the Knights.

"I have so much I want to know..."

"Let us start with the simple things then," Spike chuckled.

"Right...During our fight, you held back. Why?" Shining demanded. The Captain commander sighed as he sat upright.

"As you are well aware Captain Armor, I am quite the force to be reckoned with. I gave as much as I could in our fight within reason. Had I gone all out, your life could very well have been in danger," he paused for a moment, only to chuckle.

"Your sister would never quite forgive me should I make such a mistake,"

"That's another thing. What is your connection to Twilight?"

"Well, considering she bears the Element of Magic, we were ordered to ensure her safety as well as the other Elements," Spike answered without hesitation.

"I, however, have personally guarded Twilight for her entire life. Save for when my duties call me away,"

"Not that I want to complain...But why? Unless you knew she was going to become the Element of Magic..." Shining realized.

"Starswirl the wise had many prophecies before his passing. One such spoke of The Elements of Harmony. A weapon long buried from a war between Gods. The weapons would be held by mortals to defend the realm once more,

Believe it or not, we've been guarding you as well Captain, though you made it easy for us by joining our ranks," Spike leaned back in his chair and sighed.

"You seem tired Sir..." Shining pointed out.

"You try bein' in the big guys shoes," Vinyl scoffed from nearby.

"Now now Lieutenant, the Captain has just as much on his shoulders as I do," Spike gently admonished.

"There is much on my mind Captain Armor. You recall our first battle, when I stated that turning myself in was suicide...I believe you deserve to know why," Spike placed his hand over the sunburst on his chest

"BOSS, NO!" Vinyl cried out. Shining Armor gasped, rubbing the spots out of his eyes, the world slowly coming back into view. He simply stared as his adopted brother smiled at him sheepishly.

"Hey," Spike chuckled, scratching at his chin. The Captain of the guard gasped and grabbed the boy by his shoulders.

"Are you serious?! What the fuck were you thinking letting my shield get so close to your throat?!" he yelled. Spike shook his head and smiled.

"THAT'S what you're concerned about?" Spike argued gently.

"I could've seriously hurt you, of course I'm concerned," Shining argued.

"I...what?" Vinyl shook her head and sat down.

"You aren't shocked to find out I'm your boss?"

"Well, that's pretty weird, yes. But still..."

"We can worry about my well-being later. For now, let's go over what you need to know,"


"So, you just knew her song?" Nyx asked as she tossed the ball back.

"Yea...An' it feels like ah've always known it..." Applebloom admitted as she caught the ball.

"I mean...I guess I can sort of understand...After my 'Awakening' I feel like I've always had these memories...Maybe I had them before and they were just blocked out..." Nyx sighed.

"Guess we're both jus' a bundle o' weird, huh Nyx?" Applebloom giggled. Nyx smiled nervously as she nodded.

Look anymore obvious and I'm gonna hurl, Scythe's voice filled her head. She cleared her throat, mentally kicking him and focusing her attention back on their game.

"So, how are your lessons with Pinkie going?" Nyx wondered, changing the subject.

"Good ah s'pose. Ah've learned a lot better control. My eye ain't shifted back yet though...Ah wonder if it ever will," Applebloom sighed.

"I mean, it does look pretty cool," Scootaloo argued gently, grunting as Sweetie Belle punched her arm. The Skyborn frowned for a moment before rolling her eyes.

"But I'm sure it'll go back to normal soon," she added, Sweetie Belle giving a nod of approval.

"Yea, maybe yer right...Hey, that reminds me..."


Twilight frowned as she leaned against her cane.

"Hey! Don't even think about it!" Rainbow shouted, glaring at her from the kitchen doorway. She turned and gave the Skyborn her saddest look, earning only a slightly softer glare. Defeated, she sat down and sighed.

Rainbow shook her head and sat in front of her, holding out a mug of hot chocolate.

"So, you wanna talk about it?" Rainbow asked softly.

"About being trapped inside my own head and watching my body do whatever it wanted? About this weird thing that lives somewhere in the deepest parts of my brain and calls itself magic?" She began to list off.

"Sure, and the thing Scootaloo was flipping out about," Rainbow nodded, sipping her hot chocolate.

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked, confused. Rainbow waved her hand.

"When you beat the ever-living shit out of Nyx's new shadow friend," Rainbow explained.

"Oh! Well, that. Um..." Twilight gripped her mug.

"Yea, THAT. Scoots wouldn't shut up about it. Keeps asking me to teach it to her,"

"She can't learn it," Twilight said softly, not making eye contact. Rainbow raised an eyebrow, leaning forward slightly and putting her hand on Twilight's leg.

"Twi..."

"I shouldn't have let her see that..." she mumbled

"She said it was pretty amazing," Rainbow shrugged.

"It's stupid is what it is," Twilight scoffed.

"If it's stupid and it works then its not stupid. Whatever you did took down an immortal Nightmare Knight!" Rainbow argued.

"I could've died!" Twilight suddenly yelled.

"What?"


"What?"

"It's called Shifting, or Flowing. When someone becomes truly One with the Mana of the world and Flows with it," Spike explained.

"But its dangerous, if you get caught in its Pull, you'll never come back and you will fade into the Aether," Shining added.

"I'm honestly surprised you know about it. I hadn't expected Twilight to use something like that," Spike sighed.

"Father taught it to us. He gave us the proper warnings, told us it was something we should only ever use if we were truly desperate. As analytical as Twily is, she would've gone through every possible scenario before resorting to it," Shining explained, crossing his arms.

"Still, it bothers me that something like that WOULD become her ultimate decision..." he griped.

"Then there's the case of the child..."

"The Incarnation of Nightmare Moon. Are we really letting it roam freely?" Shining wondered.

"Hey! She's not an 'it'!" Vinyl growled, snapping to attention as Spike glanced at her out of the corner of his eye.

"Sorry about my Lieutenant. She isn't one to keep her feelings to herself. Probably why I dragged her into this," Spike shrugged.

"Still a bit strange to consider you've been the one in that suit. How do you fit in it anyway?" Shining laughed.

"Sorry, that's a secret I can't tell," Spike chuckled. The two captains sighed.

"What does this mean for us?" Shining asked softly.

"Nothing. Out of the suit, I'm just Spike, the Dragon-kin assistant to Twilight Sparkle. I honestly prefer that life to this one..." Spike sighed as he sat back.

"I still have so many questions...Do Mom an Dad know?"

"Mom does...Pretty sure Dad suspects something,"

"Mom's know everything, huh?" Shining smirked.

"Couldn't hide it from her if I had tried," Spike admitted.

"Boss, I didn't realize how close you were to the Captain..." Vinyl admitted.

"We're practically brothers. The Sparkle Family has taken real good care of me..." Spike smiled softly.

"So I owe them everything I can give. Being told I was to guard Twilight was almost a dream come true. I'd get to live out my dream of being an everyday kid and protect someone who meant the world to me..."

"No Gentle Aura, No Scent of Sky, No Mana Trail...I should've put the pieces together..." Shining scoffed.

"Who would've guessed Beast-kin?" Spike teased

"You said you've been doing this for years...How old are you Spike?"

"That's the question I was worried about...I'm a Dragon, I don't age like a normal human. So, in perspective...I'm roughly 12 or 13 I suppose...Realistically I am a few hundred years old, at least from when Celestia found me,"

"Found you?"

"It's a long story. Have you ever wondered why there aren't any other Dragon-kin?"

"I...I never thought about it,"

"No one does. Beast-kin are second-class citizens, no better than animals,"

"YOU AREN'T AN ANIMAL!" Vinyl and Shining shouted together.

"I appreciate both of you, but the truth is the truth. I'm a creature. A Beast. Even the best of intentions still end the same. You took me in, saw me as a brother, but at times, still treated me like a pet. I don't hold it against you, in fact, I actually really enjoy that little spot behind my ear..." he admitted with a slight blush.

"The point still stands. Beast-kin aren't respected on the same level as 'Humans'. So no one ever bats an eye at the ever rare Dragon-kin," Spike shrugged.

"Still, someone noticed, right?" Shining almost begged.

"Celestia did. When she found me...I was dying in the street. I crawled into an old church and made a small fire, desperate for warmth. I'd been wandering aimlessly through Celemont with no idea why I was left here.

Then she found me. She was like an Angel...She took me to her carriage and let me sleep. When I woke up...I was in a bed and there was food and shelter. I didn't know how to react to it all and for a while I lashed out, but never at Celestia...I spent a long time apologizing to all the castle staff I had terrorized in those days..."

"I...I'm s-so sorry," Shining stammered.

"You've done nothing wrong Shiny. Technically as the 'big brother' I can say I'm proud of you." Spike teased, earning a punch to the shoulder.

"Time's running short boss," Vinyl tossed in, glancing at the frozen Steelheart.

"Can't hold her any longer or there is gonna be some damage," She warned. Spike nodded, his armor taking shape around him.

"Let her be," Spike ordered, his voice much deeper in the suit. Steelheart stumbled as she came to, caught by Shining Armor.

"You really should take better care of yourself Lieutenant," he teased. She smacked his chest as she fumbled her way out of his arms.

"You idiot! What the hell were you thinking?!" She shouted, pausing as she spotted Spike and Vinyl.

"Yes Captain, tell us, what were you thinking?" Spike added. Shining Armor shrugged.

"I needed to prove something to myself,"

"Did ya get the answer you were lookin' for?" Vinyl chuckled. Shining looked at Spike, hidden in his armor. He turned away and let out a sigh.

"I found something. Something important," he nodded.

"I'll speak with you again later, Captain Commander,"

"I look forward to it Captain Armor,"


"Seriously boss, whats the point of a secret identity when you just reveal yourself?" Vinyl argued.

"He deserved to know...Lately I've been wondering if there really is a point to my disguise..." Spike admitted.

"Sure, tell the world the Captain Commander of Celestia's Elite guard is a child, great idea," Vinyl scoffed.

"Hm...you're right, no one would believe that," Spike laughed.

"Still, it must feel liberating to have that secret out there, no?" Spitfire wondered over her coffee.

"It is nice not having to hide. At the same time...was it the right call?" Spike murmured. He jolted upright at the sound of footsteps, Spitfire and Vinyl hiding within their armor quickly. Spike smiled as Nyx burst into the room.

"Spike!" she called out, pausing at the sight of the other Knights.

"It's just me Kid," Vinyl chuckled nervously. Nyx relaxed slightly, glancing at Spitfire.

"I'm a friend, no worries," she offered. Nyx sighed in relief, turning to Spike.

"What's up Nyx?"

"Oh, right! Come on!" she grabbed hold of his arm, jerking him from his chair. He looked to his subordinates, the two of them only shrugging at his situation. Doomed to his fate, he allowed himself to be pulled along outside the Library where Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle waited.

"What's going on?" he asked slowly.

"Well, ya'll mentioned ya never got t' be a kid...So we thought we outta change that! Ya'll any good at baseball?" Applebloom beamed, holding out a bat to him. He stared at it for a moment, seeing Scootaloo slip on a catching mitt and Sweetie Belle putting on a face guard.

"Ah hope so, cause ah'm pitchin!"

"Alright, you're on!"


Rainbow's frown faded only just slightly as Pinkie placed a mug of hot chocolate in front of her.

"I've heard about it, but I didn't think anyone would really do it..." Pinkie admitted.

"So it's possible with any kind of magic? You or Shy could do it too?" Rainbow wondered.

"No. There is no Pool for Chaos. Chaos just...IS. The best I can do to match Twilight's Flow is..." Pinkie let out a slow breath, her hair becoming straight and falling down her shoulders, Chaos sparking around her body slowly. Rainbow blinked and Pinkie was beside her, another blink and she was across the room. She shook her head, finding Pinkie back to normal and behind the counter once more.

"It's not really as fancy schmancy as Flowing or as dangerous, but that's only because of who I am, or I guess WHAT I am," Pinkie snorted.

"Could she really have died?" Rainbow almost whispered.

"If she had let her grip on reality slip...She would've become part of the Pool and faded into the Mana around her..." Pinkie answered.

"I asked her never to do it again and..."

"She couldn't promise it," Pinkie interrupted. Rainbow looked up from her hot chocolate.

"It's not an easy decision to make Rainbow. Offering your entire existence for the sake of your loved ones. If you broke a wing and Twilight begged you never to fly again..."

"I-It's not the same!"

"IT IS!" Pinkie shouted. Rainbow stared in shock. Pinkie Pie never shouted. Not like this anyway.

"It's everything she is and it's all she has to protect who she loves. You can't make her stop. You can just be there for her," Pinkie scolded, her cheeks puffed up.

"I...Thanks Pinks...I needed that," Rainbow smiled, sipping her hot chocolate.

"Of course. Everyone likes Hot Chocolate!" She giggled. Rainbow shook her head.

"Yea. Anyway, I uh..."

"Gotta go talk to Twi-Twi?" Pinkie smiled, waggling her eyebrows.

"...Yes," Rainbow answered, sipping her mug before zipping out the door.


Fluttershy giggled at the sight of Spike running from Applebloom, chasing first base while she held the ball out towards him. The dragon-kin slid to safety, wearing a proud smile

"Shoot, almost had ya!"

"Gotta be faster than that Applebloom!" Spike beamed.

"yea yea, don't even think o' stealin' second. Ah'm watchin you!" she warned with a smile back.

"Lady Shy, do you not wish for your previous guard to return to his post?" Midnight asked softly.

"He...deserves his original post..."

"You are too kind for this world Lady Shy,"

The two of them tensed as Spike glanced in their direction. Fluttershy swore she saw him wink.

Midnight let out a soft chuckle and gave her Charge a gentle shove

"Your Knight calls to you," she teased as she faded into her shadow.

"R-Right..."


Shining's thoughts were a mess. He had been given the answers he wanted, but was left with so many more questions. Celestia must've known. She had to know. Luna probably knew as well, but that woman was shrouded in secrets.

His mother knew, according to Spike, or at least suspected something. His father was probably too busy to wonder or worry about such things.

Shining paused in his tracks as he reached home.

Did Cadence know?

Had she kept him in the dark all this time? To be fair, his rank didn't exactly grant him the right to know and only circumstance had brought things to light. He gulped as he stepped into his home, grunting as Cadence practically tackled him. He sighed as he closed the door behind him, wrapping his arms around her.

"Cadence..."

"We're going to Eraville," she said suddenly, looking up at him.

"I...what?"

"You need to go talk to your sister," she explained, turning away from him and lifting a few bags in her magic.

"I've already cleared your leave of absence with Auntie. She thinks you need some time to clear your head after all the madness going on around here," she continued. Shining shook his head and grabbed her arms gently.

"Cady...Did you know about the Commander?" he asked softly.

"Know what?" she asked, looking at him over her shoulder. He smiled as he looked into her eyes.

She didn't know. He didn't know why he thought she would. Technically she wasn't a Princess of Celamont. She was more or less a refugee.

"I learned a lot...a lot that I could've just gone without knowing...Maybe this vacation is a good idea," he said with a soft smile.

"Good, because you aren't getting out of this," she added firmly.


She let out a slow breath as her mana faded

"Better, not quite all the way, but better," Vinyl nodded.

"Honestly Vinyl, how am I supposed to know the difference?" Rarity demanded

"You'll know Rare-bear, til then, just keep practicin'" Vinyl winked over her shades.

"That reminds me...We never did get to speak about...everything,"

"Not much to tell, but shoot," Vinyl shrugged.

"Uh...Should ah go?" Applejack wondered, glancing between the sisters. The two vampires looked back at her and laughed.

"Nah. Besides, you're the emotional support too ya know?" Vinyl smirked. She removed her shades, letting the pair stare at her deep red eyes.

"You of all people know what my eyes mean Rarity," Vinyl spoke softly.

"Now that I think of it...you've never come Down, have you sister? Just how long have you been fighting?"

"Down?" Applejack wondered.

"Your girls eyes there? Beautiful bits of blue that they are. She's in a Down State. Relaxed, loose, calm. My eyes...Red, fierce, powerful. I'm tense, tight, coiled, ready to pounce. In an Up State or Battle Ready. Prepared to fight on instinct, reacting before I can even think," Vinyl spoke slowly, shifting her eyes between the two of them.

"It is quite an intense experience. You can hear everything around you and sense the slightest movement. You can even hear the sound of a beating heart..." Rarity gulped and sat down, wrapping her arms around herself. Applejack was at her side in an instant, pulling her close.

"You get it now?" Vinyl asked, putting her shades back on.

"Ya'll would put yourself through that every day?" Applejack asked.

"For my sisters? I'd crawl through hell by my teeth," Vinyl scoffed.

"Almost did once actually," she realized.

"The big point to be made here is that Rarity needs you. This shit is hard. You're her Anchor, the thing that brings her back Down to reality and keeps her stable. Don't fuck it up," Vinyl ordered.

"H-How dare...!" Rarity began to growl

"Ya have my word," Applejack nodded.

"Good...Well, lets call it a day. Too much of this shit will drive you crazy after all," Vinyl chuckled as she stood.

"We are still talking later!" Rarity called after Vinyl as the elder vampire teleported away.


Macintosh raised an eyebrow as Spitfire waved to him.

"Pretty sure we done had this conversation once before. My mind ain't changed if that's what yer wonderin'," he rumbled softly.

"No I...Just wanted to thank you,"

"Ain't no need. This here is my home an ah'll defend it with my life," he replied with a nod.

"More than that, I wanted to thank you for the advice. You're very wise for someone your age," Spitfire chuckled.

"Ah blame th' work," he shrugged "leaves ya a lot of time t' jus' think 'bout th' world," he chuckled, glancing out into the distance toward the old clubhouse.

"Those girls are really something else," Spitfire sighed

"They were somethin' else before all this, now ah'd say they are somethin' more," Macintosh murmured.

"Now you are just sounding like some old sage," Spitfire scoffed.

"Now that, ah blame on my pa,"

"I'm sure he was a great man,"

"With all th' know how ya'll got in yer secrety society, ya probably know all 'bout th' Apple Family Roots. Not that we keep it a secret,"

"I've never done much digging unless it was relevant to a mission. I know your parents delved into Everfree for some odd reason and were never seen again...I'm sorry, I didn't mean t..." she paused as Macintosh raised his hand. He pointed over his shoulder, revealing the group of girls making their way toward the Apple Family home.

"I can't believe how good your control has gotten Scootaloo!" Nyx squealed. The Skyborn scoffed and grinned.

"Come on! I'm awesome! What's the surprise about?" she boasted.

"Yea yea, yer a whole bundle o' amazin. Ah say it's th' fact that ya'll are actually listenin' t' Twilight's lessons. Now if only ya could do th' same in class!" Applebloom taunted.

"Do you think Twilight would let me join in your lessons?" Sweetie Belle wondered.

"Pfft, of course she would Belle. Twilight loves teaching. You should come by tomorrow. I'm gonna be learnin' about how to teleport,"

"Oh Gods that's the last thing we need..." Nyx sighed, shaking her head.

"Seems ya'll had a fun day," Macintosh chuckled

"Hm? Oh hey Big Mac! Is it okay if..."

"There's some extra pie tucked away in your cubby. Blankets an pillows are already in yer room. Don't wake granny," he said with a wink. The group of girls hugged him before rushing into the house.

"You've a talent with the kids," Spitfire pointed out.

"It's an Apple Family thing," Macintosh shrugged, glancing up at the sky.

"Ah'll tell ya somethin Miss Spitfire. Th' world is so much bigger than we know or think. Things none of us could ever really understand...So ah keep t' my little piece o' th' world and keep it safe from those things that would cause it harm. Am ah makin' any sense?" he asked, turning his gaze to her.

"I...I'm not sure,"

"Then ah'll spell it out fer ya," he rumbled, standing up to his full terrifying height.

"Ya bring trouble wherever ya go. You an them Knights an those Elements. Ain't right of me t' really blame ya. Can't change Fate or Destiny or what have ya. But don't go draggin' others into it. This town has enough on its shoulders already. Ah don't mean t' be rude, but ah'd personally appreciate this bein' our last little talk,"

"Oh...I see. Well, I will leave you be then. Have a good night and...thank you again," Spitfire turned, glancing at him one last time before taking off.

Macintosh let out a sigh, grunting at the punch to his arm.

"Now why ya'll bein' rude?! Little lass jus' wanted a piece o' yer mind, maybe somethin' more!"

"Ma..." Macintosh groaned.

"Don't you 'Ma' me! Ya'll apologize t' the gal!" she huffed at him. The once matriarch of the Apple family crossed her ethereal arms, not letting her short stature keep her from scolding the giant of a man before her.

"Spits takes things pretty personal," Cheerilee added in from his other side.

"'Sides. Pretty sure she's bangin Soarin. Dunno if they are serious though," she shrugged.

"Ain't ya'll got better things t' do than t' pester me?" Macintosh demanded.

"Nope!" they laughed together.


Zecora stared out into the distance towards the nearby town, the wind idly blowing around her.

"So...Whats the deal?"

"Within that town for us to see, a young girl slumbers, deep in need. Tomorrow we venture forward after rest, to put her abilities to the test,"

"So you are claiming another student? You makin' a travlin' school or somethin'?"

She only smiled at him, patting his shoulder as she stepped inside, the wind suddenly stopping.

"Startin' to creep me out woman..." he sighed "I almost feel bad for the girl...but this should be interesting"

PreviousChapters Next