• Published 18th Jun 2014
  • 16,303 Views, 1,324 Comments

The Three Sisters: Like Fudge - Wanderer D



Chrysalis' daughters are serving their community service in Ponyville. Nothing can go wrong.

  • ...
31
 1,324
 16,303

Attention-Seeking

The Three Sisters: Like Fudge

By Wanderer D

Chapter 2: Attention-Seeking

The changeling builders paused in their work to turn and bow respectfully as Rarity and Chrysalis strolled past them.

Their work consisted on digging more tunnels and reinforcing them, since Chrysalis had stated that…

“...next time you all come here, you’ll have rooms more suited for ponies, and also more space, so we don’t have to cram you all into a single room.”

Rarity nodded, smiling politely at the workers and trying to fight the urge to preen at their attention. But who was she kidding? She loved it.

“And if you don’t stop grinning at all the cowtowing they’ll think you’re a diva,” Chrysalis added, giving her a pointed look.

Rarity giggled. “I’m sorry, sister, but their adoration is intoxicating!”

“Welcome to being a queen.” Chrysalis grinned and motioned with her head for Rarity to follow her to the council chambers. “How did you ever survive not being one? I know for a fact that you were always hunting for attention.”

Rarity grimaced. “Well, yes, dear. But the thing is, as you well know, Queen Changelings require a bit more than… how can should we call it… ‘simple’ love?” She pouted. “That’s not the right word… there’s nothing simple about Sweetie’s or my parent’s or my friend’s love but—”

Chrysalis raised her hoof. “Say no more, I understand.” She took a deep breath as they reached the chambers, and let Rarity go inside first before going in and closing the doors behind them. “And that’s one of the reasons I asked you to stay a bit longer. You didn’t get the talk from mother.”

“Oh,” Rarity blushed, the chitin on her cheeks flushing blue. “I— well, my parents explained to me abo—”

“Not that talk!” Chrysalis snapped. “Seriously, the things that run through your mind at times.”

Rarity blinked. “But that’s what we call it in Pon—”

“This is the hive, so drop the pre-conceptions and stop derailing the subject, this is important.”

Rarity huffed and looked away.

Chrysalis took a deep breath. “Sis. Even in your unicorn form, you should have been taller. Just look at your dad, he’s huge. Genetics should have gotten you about as tall as whatshermane… Fleur, or close to it.”

Rarity tilted her head, curious. “But that doesn’t make much sense. I’m in my changeling body. Wouldn’t that have worked if my consciousness had been merged in my pony body?”

“What Cocoon did was not that simple,” Chrysalis explained. “She had to take more than just your souls and merge them — there’s no way for her to simply ‘poof’ and heal your bodies. She had to take elements from both to produce a single, strong one or you would have been too weak to survive, much less climb out of that hole.”

Rarity slowly sat down on one of the several chairs in the chamber, her eyes never left her sister, however.

Seeing that she had her attention, Chrysalis continued. “While you had a good pony diet, and love from your sister and parents, queens need a lot more to truly grow. We are designed to need more. Your attention-craving comes not only from your need to succeed as a clothes designer, but also because it grants you the adulation and unconditional love of the masses. To be recognized and fawned upon — it’s not just your drive for success, it’s your needs as a queen.”

Rarity stared at her sister. “But… I never felt fed when that happened and—”

“It’s not feeding!” Chrysalis leaned in to look at her in the eye. “It’s energy. Remember how you feel whenever someone admires your work? Do you still do that thing where you prance like crazy in the same spot?”

Rarity looked down and mumbled something.

Chrysalis grinned. “You still do, don’t you?”

“W-well, I still don’t see why this is important!” Rarity growled, looking up at Chrysalis. “I clearly get enough love from my friends and family so—”

“You’ll starve unless you suddenly become an international success,” Chrysalis said. “Love will fill you up, but it won’t give you a steady force to live with. You would continue on, being loved, being happy, but without that energy you crave on a physical level, you would slowly wither and die.”

Rarity gulped.

Chrysalis’ eyes warmed up. “Not immediately, but you won’t live past two hundred as you are, Purity.” She gave her a half-smile. “I just got my sister back, I don’t want to lose her because mom insisted on revealing these secrets to the only survivor of her challenges.”

Rarity chuckled. “Well… I guess I now know why I’m so desperate for attention. I always thought it was just a character flaw that I needed to iron out.”

Chrysalis smiled. “Nah, it’s still a character flaw you need to iron out. Now you just know which iron to use.”

Phasmi cringed as Fluttershy applied more salve to her withers before beginning to dress her tight enough to be slightly uncomfortable.

“I’m sorry this happened, Phasmi,” Fluttershy said kindly. “I’m sure mister bear was just having a bad day and he’s never going to do this again,’ she added, a threatening look crossing her face and making the bear in question cringe guiltily.

“I-it’s okay,” Phasmi hissed. “I’m sure he thought you were in danger an—”

“That’s still no reason to simply attack you.” Fluttershy interrupted, securing the bandages. “There, it should heal soon,” she said, turning to look at the bear again. “But I am still very disappointed in you, mister bear!”

The bear growled apologettically, lowering his head in shame, until Fluttershy patted his head. “Please don’t do that again, Mr. Bear,” she asked, smiling at him. “I know you didn’t mean to attack my friend, but we were lucky this time that it wasn’t worse.”

The bear nodded, still a bit distraught and muffled a huffed, apology-sounding snort at Phasmi, who couldn’t help herself but recoil a little, before nodding slowly. “I forgive you…”

Fluttershy’s smile almost lit the room. “That’s so wonderful! See, mister bear? You’re forgiven. Make sure to treat her kindness with your own in the future, okay?”

The bear nodded and shuffled out of Fluttershy’s cottage, closing the door behind him. It was a matter of seconds before a muffled shout from outside made changeling and pony exchange surprised glances.

The door to Fluttershy’s cottage flew open, and a cream-colored pony slammed it shut behind her, breathing hard and glaring at Fluttershy from under a bright orange mane. “Fluttershy! That bear of yours scared the hay out of me!”

“O-oh, my… I’m sorry, Carrot Top, you know mister bear is—”

Carrot Top had already dropped to all fours and was taking a deep breath. “It’s okay, Fluttershy, I know he’s harmless, I jus—oh, and who’s this?”

Fluttershy’s eyes went wide and she turned around to explain the changeling in her house, only to find a young earth pony mare with a green coat and a deeper green mane smiling pleasantly at Carrot Top. “Um… this is, I mean… uh…”

“Ghost Leaf!” Phasmi quickly said, smiling at Carrot Top. “I’m Fluttershy’s new assistant.”

“Oh, it’s a pleasure to meet you!” Carrot Top said, smiling back. She frowned when she noticed the bandages around Phasmi’s withers. “What happened to you?”

Fluttershy and Phasmi looked at each other.

“It’s noth—” ‘Ghost Leaf’ began to say, but Fluttershy’s hoof stopped her.

“Mr. Bear accidentally hurt her,” Fluttershy confessed to the surprise of Phasmi. “He didn’t know her and thought she was dangerous.” She looked down. “But he apologized!”

“That’s too much, Fluttershy!” Carrot Top said in horror, closing up to examine Phasmi’s injury slightly touching the changeling’s foreleg with her hoof before looking over at Fluttershy. “I know you won’t get hurt by any animal, but the rest of us—”

“It’s alright,” Phasmi interrupted, placing a placating hoof on Carrot Top’s shoulder. “It wasn’t his fault entirely, I thought I knew what I was doing and he felt provoked, he wouldn’t have harmed me otherwise.”

“Oh, you poor dear!” Carrot Top chuckled. “And you still want to work here? Fluttershy has a gift that not many ponies do.”

Phasmi’s smile did not fade. “I have a lot to learn, but I love working with animals.”

Carrot Top chuckled, and put down the saddle-bags she was carrying. “Well, I wish you the best of luck, Ghost Leaf! I usually bring some carrots and vegetables to Fluttershy since she’s such a great help with keeping the little critters under control,” she said turning her smile to Fluttershy before leaning in a bit to stage whisper, “You couldn’t have asked for a better teacher!”

Fluttershy blushed and shrank a little mumbling something, while Carrot Top chuckled. “I guess this is it for now, Fluttershy, I’ll come back in a week.” She walked to the door and looked over her shoulder at Phasmi. “So I guess I’ll be seeing you around, Ghost Leaf?”

Phasmi nodded. “I look forward to it!”

“Great!” Carrot Top giggled before walking out of the cottage.

“Phasmi,” Fluttershy spoke up.

“Yes?”

“You’re blushing.”

Phasmi, aka Ghost Leaf, gave Fluttershy a knowing grin. “She likes me.”

Fluttershy blinked. “Well, of course she does, she’s a very nice pony and makes a lot of friends… well, except when she’s competing on sales with Applejack, she can be less… nice… then.”

Phasmi shook her head. “No, I mean she likes me, likes me.” She winked at Fluttershy. “I can tell.”

Fluttershy nodded. “Oh.” She blinked then her eyes widened. “Oh.”

The door opened a bit and Carrot Top poked her head in. “Um, Ghost Leaf, would you like to go to lunch with me sometime?”

Fluttershy meeped, blushing red when Phasmi nodded enthusiastically.

“Great! I’ll get back to you with a date! See you soon!”

The door closed and Phasmi beamed a smile at Fluttershy. “See?”

o.0.o End Chapter 2 o.0.o

Author's Note:

I guess I'll just post this one more time and ask that you guys remember that I'm publishing all chapters as First-Drafts, so I haven't gone back to edit the chapter, nor have I asked my team to look at them... corrections and suggestions on the comments are accepted, though!

~WD