• Published 18th Jun 2014
  • 16,312 Views, 1,324 Comments

The Three Sisters: Like Fudge - Wanderer D



Chrysalis' daughters are serving their community service in Ponyville. Nothing can go wrong.

  • ...
31
 1,324
 16,312

Redacted

The Three Sisters: Like Fudge
By Wanderer D
Chapter 19: Redacted

Acari and Hidden Tale had decided to sit down to talk at one of the local restaurants.

Acari watched with a mixture of concern and amusement as Hidden Tale tried his best to write something on the three remaining cards.

All she really know about Hidden Tale were snippets of conversation with her mother: He was a spy for Celestia, who had betrayed the Hive to serve another master. That he was also a charmer, and could deal with unexpected attempts on his life, which her mom insisted were important in a relationship of any sort.

"So, who are you writing that one for?"

"Your sister, Arachne," Hidden Tale said, putting down his quill to stare critically at the card before turning it and sliding it across the table to her. "What do you think?"

Acari blinked as she stared at the card.

I believe I impregnated your mother with your egg during my mission to check the [REDACTED] for your Mother's Hive.
I infiltrated it through the use of [REDACTED] which I used on most of the kitchen staff. Your grandmother was a very thorough changeling, and prone to random acts of violence on lowly changelings, so I had to be careful not to be noticed immediately.
Your mother, however, saw me when I used my [REDACTED] to enter the Dungeon. She was very interested in my [REDACTED] which she said was of unusual size. Of course I did not want her to get too close to my [REDACTED] since she was salivating already, and tried to convince her that I worked there, showing her instead my [REDACTED] to derail her attention, but her interest in my [REDACTED] would not be quenched. She insisted and took my [REDACTED] in her hooves despite my protests—

Acari slowly put down the card. "Well. I understand you want to reconnect with us, but this might be too much information."

Hidden Tale blinked, then frowned, taking the card and looking at it intently. "Too much? Did I fail to censor anything that exposed state secrets?"

"No. That's not… that's really not what I mean."

Hidden Tale grimaced and closed the card. "Are cards not supposed to update others on relevant events?"

Acari sighed. "In a way, but usually they're kept short and to the point. If you really want a long conversation with any of us, you shouldn't write it down on a card. Especially that kind of conversation. I'm not sure Arachne would want to know those details. I know I wouldn't, and I certainly wouldn't allow Thysa to read it."

"That's why I censored them."

"No… I think, if anything, the censorship made them worse."

They stared in silence at each other for almost a few minutes. Hidden Tale sighed. "I'm not sure how to address this. When I am on a mission, things are simpler: I just say or do the things the creature I'm impersonating would do or say."

"You know that's a very common problem for changelings, right?" Acari said after some thought. "Living in somepony else's hooves and not on their own for years sometimes… it affects who you are even if you don't want it to."

"I guess that would explain why Chrysalis is now fond of singing."

Acari decided not to mention that to Princess Cadance when she met her.

They went quiet again, with Hidden Tale evidently making an effort to think of something to say. It was hard to think of the capable spy that had infiltrated the Hive on multiple occasions and even helped save Twilight Sparkle with this self-conscious, uncomfortable individual.

"So," Acari said, clearing her throat. "Thysa is interested in dating Spike."

Hidden Tale looked up. "Why?"

"What do you mean, why? She likes him!"

"He's a good drake, but terribly immature and possessing a decidedly unhealthy sense of entitlement. His psychological profile indicates that he is unable to let go of his one-sided crush on Lady Purity. He has no inkling as to what it means to be a dragon, and it's just a matter of time before he snaps, his instincts kick in, and he overhoards himself into a mindless beast."

"That is terribly harsh and unfair."

"It's not untrue," Hidden Tale said, shrugging. "I'm sure he'll be fine eventually, but unless he somehow gets some sense smacked into him, he's going to break Thysa's heart."

Acari looked at him expectantly. "So you're going to…"

Hidden Tale tilted his head. "...going to what?"

Acari closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Okay. Let's get the facts down. Spike is by no means perfect, but we can agree that he's at his core, a decent and good dragon, right?"

Hidden Tale hesitated.

"Right?"

"Maybe. You can never be sure."

"Good enough. Now, Thysa… my sister. Your daughter, wants to date him, and he so far seems at least interested."

Hidden Tale frowned. "He is? My informants told me that he is at best ambivalent and ignoring her advances almost as proficiently as Lady Purity ignores his. The difference being that he might not be aware he's doing it."

"And you don't see a problem with him stringing along your daughter?"

"I sincerely doubt there's malicious intent there."

"By the Great Boot," Acari groaned. "You're Thysa's father! You should talk to her and Spike! Don't you care that both will probably get emotionally damaged from this?"

"It's hardly something uncommon…" Hidden Tale hesitated at the look he was getting. "...but I suppose it would befit my status as a parent to address the issue."

"Dad." Acari sighed. "I'm leaving within an hour to go to the Crystal Kingdom. Tell me honestly… do you care about us?"

Hidden Tale straightened, eyes wide. He opened his mouth to answer once, then gulped.

Acari sighed, then pushed back her chair to get up.

"Y-yes."

She paused, blinking. She raised her eyes to look at Hidden Tale, who grimaced uncomfortably. "What?"

"I said… yes." He took in a shuddering breath. "Yes," he repeated, as if tasting the word. "Yes, I do care. I just… don't know how to deal with it. Up until now I had been keeping tabs on all of you as little more than notes on paper, or the occasional interaction while on duty and undercover… I never thought I would sit down with any of you to talk about… well, you. And I. And Chrysalis. And… and family."

Acari smiled. "That is what I needed to hear." She sat down again. "Dad… we need time to get to know each other, but what matters right now is that you show each one of us that you care. We can hash out details later, but that is a good first step. Phasmi, Arachne and Thysa all need to know that you'll be here for us."

At that moment the tower bell rang and Acari sighed, giving her dad a small smile. "Walk me to the train station?"

Hidden Tale smiled back, nodding gently. "Of course. And expect to see me soon there. I'll be visiting."

Acari's smile widened. "I'll look forward to it!"