• Published 30th May 2014
  • 652 Views, 34 Comments

Sisters of Heart and Mind - ArtichokeLust



An idea of two, fragile as glass, with incredible strength and unbalanced minds, comes alive. Will they refrain from destroying themselves? Will they destroy the world that sustains them? Or will everything shatter and fall?

  • ...
3
 34
 652

Mind Games

Benjaman pushed himself off the dirt floor and looked up at his goddess, Mind, smiling devilishly. In the corner of his eye he saw the great mountain and the clock on top of it. The world clock had only four minutes left, but he was determined to make sure that when everything ended, it would end with a bang.

"You already received the highest honor. Why do you continue?" His goddess asked him in monotone as she floated to the ground.

"Because I love this!" He yelled without thinking. When he did think, his eyes widened in surprise. Yes, it really was that simple, wasn't it? But whatever the answer, that wasn't what he should have been concentrating on then.

The crowd in the Colosseum around him didn't matter. The air outside didn't even matter at that moment. All that mattered was him, his opponent, and everything else inside the boundary.

"What about you?" he yelled as he raised his arm. Suddenly, a missile appeared and flew towards Mind. It collided with a wall of reinforced steel, but instead of exploding, it began to drill its way through. Unfortunately, the steel wall turned in midair, so when the missile burrowed through the other side, it launched right at him. He re-positioned the exhaust pipe, sending it into a tail-spin.

"For my sister." Mind answered back. Was that a small involuntary smile on her face? If so, that would be the first in hundreds of years!

She snapped her fingers and created two gravity rings, one just inside the boundary, and one around herself.

Benjamin frowned as he slammed into the ground. Of course, that was all she cared about, wasn't it? The rest of the world was only facts to her. So everything he heard about her was true... Or was it?

He smiled. Why did he love this sort of thing in the first place? Was it not because his family and friends always cheered him on? After all, without them, who would he be? Would he be anyone?

"Then this is for my family too." He didn't know what frequencies of light Mind was using for her modified light-tweezer, so he simply built a ring around him that blocked every frequency. Then he mounted turrets on top to destroy the outer ring.

"You've blinded yourself." He heard his goddess speak. "That was foolish."

She was coming.

Benjamin turned the walls around him into steel, then sheets of layered graphene. He quickly remembered the top and closed that up too. It was dark, but only for a second.

Then everything went red.

Of course. She was smart. She would use whatever he built against him, just like she'd been doing the whole time. Carbon and steel could burn. All it would take was a short-lived rusting bacteria. That was nothing for someone who had supposedly finished finding the correct folding of every human protein twenty years ago.

Before he suffocated or incinerated, he desperately made an oxygen canister.

It exploded.








Benjamin blinked. The first thing he noticed was that he was in a kneeling position, with his goddess's hand on his head. The second thing he noticed was the scorch marks around him and his bunker thrown to the side.

"It appears I remember you well." Mind smiled. He swore he could even see the tell-tale crinkles around her eyes that meant actual happiness. Then again, she probably would have learned how to fake a smile better since ancient history.

He smiled dumbly back at her. How could he not? His goddess had just given him the highest praise that anyone had ever received!

Benjamin turned his head. The world clock counted ten seconds...

Fuck it.

He stood up and hugged his goddess, taking mischievous pleasure in the look of surprise on her face and the tensing of her muscles. After a couple seconds, she hugged him back.

The ground shook. Distant lands could be heard crumbling.

He hugged her tightly, now more afraid for his life than ever before.

The colosseum crumbled around him. He could see the people in the stands praying before fading out. The shielding around the boundary dissipated and everything inside faded in less than a second.

Benjamin was gone.








"I didn't know you were one for theatrics." Heart laughed. "Was that really necessary?" She had let herself fall from the stands once they dissipated, and now she was about 5 o' clock from mind.

Mind turned as a ballerina would and faced her sister. She didn't even try to hide her cheshire grin anymore as she held her hand to her forehead. "I'm sorry," she said in a lilting tone reminiscent of someone mad with power. "I just can't wait."

Heart stepped back in surprise. "Jesus! You look like a fucking monster when you do that, you know."

Mind frowned. "I don't have to hide my feelings around my own sister too, do I?"

"No." Heart sighed. "Of course not." She smiled wryly. "And I understand where you're coming from. I've done a lot of training myself, and I'd love to test out my ideas in reality. I'd also like to stretch my arms for once." She swung her right arm in a circle, then her left arm, and smiled giddily. "And now we can finally have friends that don't live in our heads."

"Uh-huh," Mind replied absentmindedly. She looked like she was concentrating on something else. Suddenly, she disappeared.

Heart frowned. That girl never seemed to care about relationships at all. The only thing that made her smile was learning, and the only person she really smiled around was Heart. Even then, she probably just liked being around Heart because she could compete with her.

Heart sighed and opened her eyes to the world outside, fading from the shared mind-space.







Mind looked at the cracking statue of Discord. 'I think we should wait,' she thought.

'uugh...' Heart thought back. 'At least make some cameras or something. I'm not just gonna watch the same place for several hours.'

'Already done,' Mind thought. 'I also added a layer of stone around us so there will be less chance of them resealing us. You're looking through a monitor now. Blink to switch views.'

Heart sent the emotion of satisfaction over the mind-link before blinking a few times. In her main view, she saw that Discord's statue was no longer full of cracks.

'And you did the same for Discord,' Heart thought. 'What are you planning?'

'Nothing.'

Heart could hear the lie in her sisters voice. 'If you're not going to tell me, why show me at all?' She felt a feeling of frustration come over. Finally, it changed to satisfaction.

'Think of it like a game you play to learn and increase your skills,' Mind thought.

'I'm not your test subject.' Heart tried to frown.

Then sadness came over. That was new. The only thing that should have made Mind sad was the prospect of there being nothing to learn about once she understood everything.

'No,' Mind thought, 'you're my opponent,'

'You're not planning on--!'

Heart felt Mind's hand slip from hers.







The statue of love stood in Canterlot gardens. Two female stridetaurs held hands, desperately trying not to be separated. It somehow fit the current stormy weather, even with its unheard of chocolate rain.

The statue exploded. Shards of cement flew everywhere, and a single stridetaur stood in the remains, hot tears trailing down its face.

Heart grit her teeth as she shook some cement dust off. But her grimace faded into a look of disbelief when she looked at the hole beside her. Where Mind should have stood, there was a circle filled with broken rocks and dirt. So, Mind burrowed away.

She contemplated chasing her, but she knew she would never catch up when her sister could just make some drilling machine, or a jet. But... Mind was the only one she knew! She didn't even have a statue like Celestia did!

...Everyone else was dead...

Heart collapsed to her knees and screamed.

Author's Note:

I stole the name "stridetaur" was from AdmiralTigerclaw. After all, Discord's species is named after dragons and ponies, so why wouldn't humans have a more familiar naming to the ponies as well?

Also, I just send these chapters out on a whim since my main purpose here is having fun. And my the only editing I do is give them a quick once over. So that's why there are plot-holes like 'Heart and Mind shouldn't have been freed in a thousand years because Nightmare Moon petrified them'. I'll just say the spell took power from Nightmare moon to stay up, and when she was changed back to Luna, it quickly lost power.

Anyway, now that we're in current time, things should be a bit slower paced.

Comments ( 13 )

4478458

Soo much death! :pinkiecrazy:

But what else would a person do given a thousand years? If they really just stared outside for that length of time their brain would literally shrink. So however strange or unrealistic the fantasies of those two, they needed them to survive. And whatever they decided on would leave its marks.

Seems legit.

4479231

I wonder how much, actually.

I know I'd have some pretty crazy fantasies after a thousand years with one other person.

4479323 I'd have probably cured every disease ever, invented faster than light travel, teleporters, matter synthesizers, and immortality. And that's just the first hundred years.

4479461

Well, folding all the proteins is most of curing all genetic diseases and making immortality, and she kind of is a matter synthesizer. Otherwise, we don't know if the others are possible. (The gravity synthesizer is possible though, it just takes a lot of energy and requires a material that can reflect certain frequencies very well. Look up optical-tweezers, they're currently used for levitating and studying some bacteria I think.)

4479490 Faster than light is wholly possible, you just need to affect a mass negation field and use some sort of overcharged acceleration device. Or you could use wormholes and trolololol your way through the stars, quite literally.

4479494

Actually, I read up on the research on FTL travel.

The current theoretical method relies on taking advantage of Einstein's equations and bending space, making a valley in front of you and a hill behind you using a black hole and a material that expands space. That way you would stay in the same place. However, it may be impossible to get the black hole and the matter behind the ship to move faster than light. And then, you'd have to rely on the black hole dissipating to stop or the matter behind you decaying. Though I suppose if you wanted to stop, you could just destroy your back and let your black hole fly off in front of you.

And I'm not sure if wormholes are even science anymore. They rely on space being not-flat, which may not be the case, and even if they did exist, they're probably even harder to handle than the previous method. (I believe they'd attract to gravity wells, and a bunch of planets and stuff would clog up the center of the tunnels.)

Mass negation wouldn't work though. Light doesn't have mass, and it still only travels as fast as light. The problem there is that things gain energy with momentum as well as mass, via Einstein's (full) energy equation.

4479532 Isolation from the Higgs field says otherwise. Though if tachyons are proven to exist, then the utilisation of them to tear holes in space-time should be possible, otherwise tunneling through to another dimension with a size difference ratio of ten trillion to one for here to there, which would mean you're travelling the same relative velocity as you would be in our dimension, but are covering more ground. Conversely, you could just compress the region of space between you and your target and fly through that, but that's a whole level of quantum physics I am not going to be bothered to discuss.

4479541

...I might appear a bit rude here, but I get the feeling you don't know the physics behind a lot of what you're saying. :unsuresweetie:

I have no idea what you're referring to when you say 'isolation from the Higgs field.' Do you mean that since gravity is particle based because of the Higgs boson, which can't travel FTL, the first method of FTL travel I mentioned shouldn't be possible? If so, that seems like a pretty valid rebuttal to that theory.

But compressing space doesn't have anything to do with quantum physics. It was actually what I was talking about with the first method of FTL I mentioned. Quantum physics has to do with quanta, and how particles have a probability field of states to be in at any given time, instead of moving between anything. Think: state machine.

And I this can't logic even how: "if tachyons are proven to exist, then the utilisation of them to tear holes in space-time should be possible." If I buy a motorcycle, the president could use it to fly to Mars.

Otherwise, travelling to other dimensions necessitates getting there in the first place.

4479614 Only read the first sentence, but you are absolutely right. I have been forced into doing ridiculous amounts of schoolwork by my mum that I don't even understand half of. The rest I got from Sci-Fi and wikipedia.

4479633

Ooh... You shouldn't be doing work if you don't understand it... That's just a way to learn to hate the work and make it repetitious. Some concepts taught in school, like math, are literally just other languages, and other concepts, like chemistry, history, and art, just require a lot of memorization. All you need is the method of loci and a math game (like what Khan Academy has turned into), then all of the work should be easy.

I used to major in Physics before I switched to CS though, and I still cringe when I hear sci-fi explanations like yours. It... well, it just doesn't sound good to someone who's read the science articles on the concepts. And I've come across some sites that try to sell concepts with no backing in reality...

4480867 I'm good at maths, it's just having someone force you into doing something is not the best way to make a person like it. Which is why I intend to drop all my science subjects the moment I can. I'm fine with economics, accounting and legal studies.

Login or register to comment