• Published 16th May 2014
  • 12,299 Views, 1,530 Comments

A Brave New World - Ausbrony



A side story to A New World, A New Way. Pokemon Trainer, Seth Crescent finds himself in a new world, and a new body when a plan enacted by Arceus takes effect.

  • ...
50
 1,530
 12,299

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty Five

Once Seth had calmed the Tyranitar down, he escorted her to the castle for now—he didn’t think Fritter would appreciate him bringing a Tyranitar home—he’d have to figure out either how to help her to stay working at the docks, or find a new place if the first plan proved too troublesome.

He also had to check on the hall that the Contest would be taking place, and was quite surprised to find Elesa there, setting up the sound system she’d be using. The Ampharos waved him over as he entered the hall, before tripping over a loose cord and faceplanting the stage.

“Heh, you okay?” Seth asked as he walked up to the stage and held out a paw, Elesa sighed and took it, picking herself up and nodding.

“Yeah, these Pokemon bodies are pretty durable huh?” She looked at her hands and sighed. “Woulda been nice to have a form with opposable thumbs though.”

“Yeah, too bad we can’t do that pony-hoof-magic thing,” Seth replied as he moved the cord so she wouldn’t trip again. “So, what are you up to here?”

“Huh? Ah. I’m just setting up, making sure all the speakers work… which they don’t.” She motioned to a sound room above the main seating area, behind the royal box. “I took a look in there, but the controls are so old-fashioned, I have no idea how to get it to work.” She took a seat behind her turntable and sighed again. “I think it might be wired up wrong. And without knowing what wires go where…”

“Is it that important that they all work?” Seth asked, Elesa nodding in response.

“Of course, if the speakers at the back don’t work, anyone sitting there won’t be able to hear the stage very well, and if I boosted the volume, anyone at the front would be deafened.”

“Hmm…” Seth closed his eyes and thought. Maybe the owner of the hall would know somepony… Oh!

“I think I have a solution,” he said. “I’ll track the owner down in the meantime, see if he knows anything. But I have a friend coming from Las Pegasus. A Porygon Z. He should be able to fix this problem right up.”

“A Porygon huh?” Elesa tapped her chin and smiled. “They can integrate with most tech, so yeah, he might be able to fix the problem...provided that the parts don’t need replacing.”

“Well he should be here tomorrow if he keeps his word,” Seth said, at least, he was pretty sure that was what Bit had said. Hmm…

“I think, I might delay the Contest by a day,” the Luxray suddenly decided. “Bit might need time to fix things, provided I can’t get this sorted in the meantime. And I’m sure no-one would object to having another day to practise.”

“Well, you’re in charge for this one,” Elesa nodded. “I think I might be able to get this sorted in time. But yeah, another twenty four hours wouldn’t hurt.”

“Alright, I’ll make sure I leave a sign or something.” That said, he still hadn’t done anything like setting up a place to register. And he still needed Judges as well. And perhaps a small entry fee… Well, Celestia was lending him this hall, so he might be able to get away with a donations box instead.

“So much to do, I really should have come back here after Ponyville, but even so…”

“Even so,” Elesa smiled and kissed him on the cheek. “You have a ton of friends you can count on to help you out.”

“Yeah, that I do,” Seth nodded. “Okay, I’ll leave a sign out front, explaining the delay. Then arrange some Judges and some receptionists.” He already had a good idea in mind.

“Don’t forget security as well,” Elesa pointed out. “This is going to be a big event, and you can’t be expected to MC it, as well as run interference for any spats or the like.”

“Good point,” Seth nodded. Man, he’d totally forgotten about that. Hmm, maybe Midnight and a few of the Guard? he’d have to run it by Celestia first. But if she and Luna was going to attend, then it shouldn't be an issue. “Okay, best of luck then Elle.”

“Hah! You’re the one that’s gonna need that,” Elesa replied. “Too bad you don’t have Super Luck!”

Seth groaned and facepawed. “Your puns are as terrible as ever Elle. Still, I suppose it couldn’t hurt.”

The two shared a laugh and Seth left. He had a lot to do and very little time to do it.


“You vant me to do vhat?” Photo Finish gawked at the Luxray, well, he assumed she was. He couldn’t tell because of those ridiculous goggle-glasses she was wearing.

“I’m holding a Pokemon Contest in a few days…” he started to say, but the mare cut him off.

“Yes, yes, ze big voice said as such. But vhat ah vant to know is vhat you expect me, Photo Finish! To do.”

‘I was getting to that,’ Seth muttered in his head. “I would like you to be a judge.”

“And I am much, much too busy,” Photo waved a hoof. “Zat is not possible!”

‘And I don’t have much of an option,’ Seth muttered again. Hmm, perhaps pandering to her ego might work.

“Well, I suppose if you insist. I mean, I was hoping to get the finest I could. I mean, does anypony else have such an eye for detail, for poise and grace, for… the magicks?”

“Vell… no,” Photo replied, clearly hesitant.

“But, I understand that you’re immensely busy. So, I guess I could find somepony else willing to play such a key role in an Equus-first event. I mean, most of the Princesses are going to be there, along with how-knows how many ponies in the know…” he turned away and started to walk towards the door, slowly.

It took just three seconds.

“Vait vait viat!” Photo ran up to him and stopped Seth from leaving. “I have changed my mind. be grateful for zis. For I, Photo Finish! Vill help judge your...eh, vhat vas it again?”

“Pokemon Contest?”

“Yes! Pokemon Contest! It vill be spectacular! A Pokemon Contest Spectacular!!”

Hmm, now there was a catchy title. “The Canterlot Contest Spectacular. I like it! Also, welcome aboard Miss Finish!” She shook hooves with the mare and headed out of her studio, a wide smirk on his face as he did.

Heh, like fishing for Magikarp.


Okay, so he’d gotten Photo Finish, and a quick stop at the hospital saw that he snagged a Nurse Joy as well. Couldn’t have a Contest without one of those. He’d paid a visit to the hospital that took care of everyone after the Control Incident. So all he needed was a third, and a receptionist or three. Hmm, he wondered if Titania was busy that day?

And security as well, so he’d need to swing by the castle… That should be fun, as he knew a mountain of paperwork was waiting for him.

Well, he had an idea for the third judge, but he could ask her later. And Suri’s dress shop was close by…

A short while later, the bell of Button Belle’s Boutique chimed as Seth walked in, taking a look around. It was empty for the time being, but he saw quite a few outfits that were tailored for Pokemon. And they looked well made as well. Did Titania really design these?

Speaking of the devil, she floated in, nearly bumping into Seth as she did.

“Gah! Seth? What are you doing here?” she asked, but certainly wasn’t complaining. He was welcome here anytime~

“Oh, looking for you actually,” Seth replied, causing the Single Bloom Pokemon to blush lightly.

“F-For me. Why?” she said, though it came out a little more haughty than she meant to.

Seth blinked, was she pissed off about something? Okay, time to chat a bit before asking then. “Well, for one. How has your day been? I was a little surprised to see the shop empty.”

“Huh, Suri’s not here?” Titania looked around. “Gah, that slacker. I said I was only going to be gone for a moment. Well, whatever.” She sat herself down as she poured two cups of tea. “I was out making a delivery, to the two brats who caused us a little headache last time.”

Ah, Roll and Shredder. Yeah, Seth probably wasn’t going to forget them anytime soon. “Heh, I think Rika still wants to hand Shredder her own ass on a platter.”

“Good luck,” Titania said. “Lady Rika is strong, but Shredder is both powerful and ruthless.” She set her teacup down. “I fear that even if you weren’t holding back in that fight, you still would have lost. You lack the proper mindset to beat them. We Checkmate members don’t play by the League’s rules… well, not to say that it’s a bad thing for you. In fact, I wish more thought like you.” She sighed as she sipped her tea. “You’ll be fine as long as I’m here protecting you… and that Alexander never shows his face here. That… will not be fun.”

“Alexander?” Seth asked.

“A Chesnaught and the leader of my group, Rook Class. He also happens the most stubborn bastard in two worlds,” Titania said, looking into her teacup. “I highly doubt that he knows I’m here. But if Roll or Shredder tell him… hmm, perhaps I should teach you a few tricks in case he does show up?” While he was a defensive powerhouse, he also knew how to hit and cared little about property damage. A holy knight with a strict code, but lacked modesty or restraint.

“Oh? That might be interesting,” Seth said, currently distracted from his tasks. “I haven’t actually seen you fight before.”

“Hmhmhmhm, well, in a real fight, you’d lose almost instantly to me,” Titania chuckled. “But, you have potential. So we’ll see. Now,” she leaned forward a little. “What did you really come here to ask of me?”

Well, right to the point huh? “Well, I have the Contest coming up soon…”

“In two days, I am aware of this,” Titania nodded, having just finished Selena and Rika’s outfits. “What of it?”

“Well, it’s come to my attention that I’d need a few receptionists to handle the entrants and spectators. So I thought that a pretty face might be just the solution.”

Pretty? Did he just… call her pretty!? Titania erupted into a fierce blush as she looked away with a derisive huff. “Well, I am amazingly busy. But! I suppose if you need the help… I can do it, for a price.”

“A price?” Seth blinked.

“I am a mercenary after all,” Titania said. “But I am suitably paid here… so, hmm, I believe you can treat me to a fine dinner.” Oh sweet Arcues, that just slipped out. She could believe she’d just asked him on a date…

“Okay,” Seth nodded. “I don’t mind.”

Say what?

“Are you… sure?” Titania asked hesitantly.

“Well sure,” Seth nodded. “I don’t mind at all. It’ll have to wait until after the Contest though. Is that okay?”

“Sure,” Titania squeaked out as Seth nodded and gave her a smile.

“Cool, I’ll organise something later then. See ya Tani.” he gave her a small bow and left the shop. Once she was sure he was out of earshot, she gave a loud squeal and bounced up and down.

As Seth walked down the street, he chuckled and shook his head. Why would she be so uneasy about hanging out as friends?


“Okay, so that takes care of most of that, and the sun hasn’t even set yet,” Seth mused to himself. “Now all I need is to talk with Celestia, and then I can go home, have some dinner and cuddle with my lovely ladies…”

Today had gone pretty well so far, so he didn’t see why this trend wouldn’t continue. Despite all of the Nurem’s antsyness about the topic, he wasn’t a big believer of Murphy or his ridiculous Law. He walked up to the castle, giving the Guards at the entrance a nod as he strode inside.

Almost immediately, he was accosted by Midnight, who landed on his back with her chin resting on his head.

“You know, I think you’ve become my favourite perch,” she purred. “Still, if you wanna be on top, I don’t mind~”

“I think I might just ignore everything that comes out of your mouth,” Seth sighed, but didn’t bother removing the batpony. He barely even noticed her weight anyway. “So what’s up?”

“Well, aside for the fact you aren’t here much, and leaving me to do all the work, there’s something you have to do.”

“If you say you, I’m going to electrocute you,” Seth warned.

“...Well, something else then,” Midnight said after weighing the pros and cons for saying what was on her mind. “You need to fill out a personnel file. We don’t know your history or the like, so you’ll have to write it yourself. So we’re trusting you to be truthful on this.”

“Yeah, I can do that,” Seth replied. “Oh, is Princess Celestia busy?”

“At the moment,” Midnight nodded, playing with one of his spiky tufts of fur. “We’ll go and fill this report, and you can kill two Pegasi with one stone.”

“...some metaphors have taken a disturbing new meaning for me,” Seth shuddered as they headed for his office. “Oh, how’s that Tyranitar doing?”

“Well, she still has her job at the Docks, mostly because they couldn’t find an individual that could handle the work she does. They’d have had to put on at least half a dozen.” Midnight rubbed her head, remembering the headache that caused her. “You’re lucky you’re so cute, or I’d have ditched this job by now.”

“If you say so,” Seth chuckled as they entered his office. “Well this will take a while. These Equestrian typewriters are a pain for me to use.”

“Well, I got some time, so how about you dictate, and I’ll write it for you?” Midnight offered. Seth nodded, going through a few new files while Midnight pulled out the typewriter and took a seat as his desk. He skimmed over a few before coming across an incident report, the one involving Mewtwo and Luke. It had the full details of the incident, along with something… rather interesting.

Midnight coughed, snapping Seth out of his thoughts as she flexed her forehooves before setting some paper in the machine. “Okay Boss, let’s do this!”

Seth nodded and cleared his throat before beginning.


Transcribed by: First Lieutenant Midnight Song

Dictated by: Honorary Captain Seth Alexi Crescent
File: 001
Full Name: Seth Alexi Crescent.

Date of Birth: January 3rd. Earth Year 4995 (Seth is 22 years old at the time of this report)

Species: Luxray, the Gleam Eyes Pokemon.

Height: 173 centimetres. (Considered larger than average for the species)

Weight: 65kg (Also heavier than average)

Type: Electric Type Pokemon.

Notable Abilities: Seth Crescent can channel large amounts of electrical energy. When tested, his strongest generated bolt carried around 30’000 Ampere and generated heat of around 50’000 Kelvin. A strike against someone that is unprotected would most certainly be fatal.

His physical prowess is also commendable. He can very run short bursts reaching up to 80 KPH and can leap almost 11 Metres, or 36 hooves.

Special Ability: Guts.

Known Special Attacks: Charge. Discharge. Thunder. Thunder Fang. Tackle. Lightning Terrain.

Personal History: Seth Crescent was born in the Earth Year 4995. His parents were Alexi Crescent and Mirai Crescent, Pokemon Rangers of a region known as Fiore. However, at the age of only six months, his parents passed away in a tragic accident, the full details can be found in Ranger File 0782.

After the accident, Seth was moved to a Ranger sanctioned orphanage in the Unova Region. He spent the next ten years here, excelling in his studies and showed great potential as a Pokemon Trainer. At the age of nine, he passed his Trainer Exam with an almost perfect score, but still had to wait to be of age before he was given his license. He was adopted by the matron of the Orphanage, Kimberly Haleth, a short while before he left on his Trainer Journey.

His journey lasted 5 years, and accomplished what was considered to have been quite a few accolades.

During the Year 5010, his life takes an unexpected turn. Laws surrounding the crime referred to as ‘Pokephilia’ were vague and easily abused. Seth took it upon himself to speak out against these laws, wishing to have them changed, to persecute the ones that were actually committing a criminal offense, rather that following their heart. This earned the ire of the Pokemon League Organisation, and due to anonymous accusations, Seth Crescent was banned from any and all League Sanctioned events.

The accusations were investigated, but even when results were deemed ‘inconclusive’ the ban still stood. Accusations continued over the course of several years, leading to Seth’s ban from the Contest ring as well.

At the time, he had a confirmed relationship with The Gym Leader of Nimbasa City, Elesa. This relationship lasted around a year and a half, but was then broken off for personal reasons.

He continued this battle against the law and was getting close to reaching a favourable resolution. Years of hard work and personal sacrifice paid off, then the World Shift occurred…

Equestrian Year XXX - Seth Crescent, after showing exceptional skill against a notorious criminal, was offered the role of mediator between Pokemon and Equus-born citizens. He has been given the position of Acting Captain, though it it merely a decorative role, holding no actual military weight. He now handles all cases regarding Pokemon in the Canterlot region, as well as an investigatory role in criminal activities involving Pokemon within the Equestrian borders.

Accolades received.

Gym Badges Obtained;

Unova Region - Eight Badges were obtained by Seth and his team.
Trio, Basic, Insect, Bolt, Quake, Jet, Freeze and Legend.

Kalos Region - Three Badges were obtained by Seth and his team.
Bug, Rumble and Fairy.

Kanto Region - Seven Badges were obtained by Seth and his team.
Boulder, Cascade, Thunder, Rainbow, Soul, Marsh and Volcano.

He and his team have also competed in various Pokemon Contests, and won several minor awards along with two Master awards.

Medical History:

Earth: While on Earth, Seth possessed no allergies, physical or mental ailments or significant genetic defects. He has not gained any upon transition to his Luxray form, but has made note of headaches when using his x-ray vision for extended periods of time.


Seth went over the report, as they had to pause several times for Seth to spell out any words that Midnight didn’t know. Once they were done, he nodded and placed the report into a folder.

Midnight Song was oddly quiet during the whole thing as she went over the copy. Once she finished reading it, she placed it down and added her signature to verify its authenticity.

“So…” she said, her voice quiet. “Did all that really happen?”

“More or less,” Seth replied. “There’s a lot more detail, but what you wrote was the long and short of it.”

“And, Elesa… can I ask, what happened?”

Ah, that was a touchy subject. Still…

“Yeah, it was great, me and Elesa. I really liked her a lot. I even entertained the idea of something… more. But, then my reputation spread and she starting copping slack for it. The League even threatened to terminate her role as a Gym Leader, so… I did something stupid.”

“You made yourself a martyr, and left her didn’t you?” Midnight asked, Seth nodding in response.

“After I did that… I just, fell apart,” Seth said. He’d never told anyone this, not even his mom. Only his Pokemon team at the time knew about it. “I couldn’t battle the Gyms to take my mind off of it, nor could I enter legitimate Contests.” He remembered that he’d tried an Underground Contest once, not long after that. Seeing how they’d treated their Pokemon… too bad those locks just happened to fall off, and that one of Ignis’ moves accidentally burned the place to the ground afterwards.

“So what did you do?” Midnight asked, moving so she could sit next to him. “Cause you and her seem fine now.”

“Yeah, she knew what I was doing, why I’d done it. She was even set to leave the Gym and travel with me… but, I wouldn’t have any of it. Being a Gym Leader meant so much to her, I wasn’t going to let her throw that away because of me.” Seth took a deep breath and sighed as he leant against Midnight, the bat squeaking as she braced herself so she wouldn’t fall over.

“I… I really fell apart after that. If it wasn’t for my Pokemon, I don’t know what might have happened…” The Luxray took a deep breath as he lay on the floor, the thestral sighing when he stopped leaning on her. She looked down at him and then lay down next to him and draped a wing over him.

“Yeah, after that, I travelled to Kalos, wandered around there for a bit and met a lot of new friends. And, after a few months, I met her again.”

“So, no bitterness or anything like that?” Midnight asked.

“No, she knew why I did it, still sucked though. Maybe, if I hadn’t fallen for Rika and Fritter… I might have tried again,” Seth said. He wasn’t going to lie to himself or anyone else by denying that he still had some feelings for Elesa. Didn’t matter what she looked like, she was still the same girl on the inside.

“Well you made the best with the hand life dealt you,” Midnight nodded. “And it all seemed to have worked out for you. Maybe not in the way you expected… but, would you change anything about your life right now?”

“I wish I was still human,” Seth replied under his breath, but the thestral’s sensitive hearing caught it anyway. “Being a Luxray is cool and all… but, imagine if you went to sleep and suddenly woke up as a unicorn.”

“That…” Midnight nodded. She loved to fly and while magic would be novel for a while, it’s not something she’d want to happen permanently.

“I dunno,” Seth shrugged. “For my entire life, my path, my decisions? It’s all been me. And now, it’s like I’m just a puppet dancing on strings and there’s nothing I can do about it.” He took another deep breath, it was… nice to finally get this off his chest.

“Have you told anypony else?” Midnight asked him. “Your friends or family?”

Seth shook his head. “No, besides, there’s nothing anyone can do about it. And Arceus isn’t going to make us human again.” He smiled and the mare and nuzzled her. “Thanks for listening to my rant though. Didn’t mean to hold you up like this.”

“Hey, we’re friends right?” she replied, returning his gesture. “S’what friends do.” She giggled and climbed up onto his back again. “Now, should we go and see if Princess Celestia is available?”

“Sure, why not?” The Luxray replied and headed out of his office, almost immediately bumping into someone. “Ah, sorry… Hm?” he looked up to see who it was…

“Mewtwo?”

The psychic feline shook himself and glanced at who he’d bumped into. “Ah, Seth Crescent… it has, been a while.”

“Yeah, I’ve been meaning to see you again for a while now,” Seth said. He turned his head and looked at Midnight. “Midnight, this is Mewtwo. Ambassador between the Legendary Pokemon and the Royal Sisters. Mewtwo, this is my new partner Midnight Song.”

“Nice to meet you,” Midnight replied and looked the Pokemon over. Not bad… not bad at all~

“And you as well Miss Song,” Mewtwo replied. “Well, if you’ll excuse me…”

“Hey, hold up a sec,” Seth said. he turned back to Midnight and smiled. “Think you could wait for a bit? I need to talk alone with this guy for a moment.”

“Yeah,” she hummed. She smiled and Mewtwo and bat her eyes. “Swing by my place later, we’ll work on our Pokemon and Pony relationships~” She winked at him and glided down the hallway, leaving Mewtwo feeling… perplexed.

“I may be mistaken, but… was she, propositioning me for mating?”

“...Yes she was,” Seth sighed and facepawed. “Don’t worry. She’s a nice girl… just…”

“Direct.” Mewtwo chuckled and floated down the hall in the opposite direction. “Still, she is not unattractive…”

“Oh. Kay!” Seth said, not wanted to get into that. “So, let’s talk.”

“About, though, I think I already know…”

“About what happened with Luke, that’s one thing,” Seth said. “First and foremost, I don’t know if I ever thanked you for saving mine and Heath’s lives that night. So, thank you.”

“It was nothing, you’d have done the same,” Mewtwo responded. “Still, you’re welcome.”

Seth nodded as he followed the cat. “So, I’m guessing you’ve copped quite a bit of flak for the Luke thing?”

“That is an understatement,” Mewtwo responded, even his telepathy couldn’t mask the tone he’d used. “It was a stupid thing to do… but, if he had been one of those afflicted Pokemon…”

“I thought that might have been a contributing factor,” Seth nodded. He smiled and paused to place a paw on Mewtwo’s back. “Look, everyone makes mistakes. And you’re still young, and the young make mistakes even more so. But I think that as long as you learned from it, and don’t do it again…”

“Which I will not,” Mewtwo replied and flicked his tail. “I still have the Bite marks from that Arcanine…”

“I can’t believe he actually did that,” Seth sighed.

“Don’t worry so much,” Mewtwo chuckled. “I made him think he had uncontrollable fleas for the next ten minutes.”

“You… started a prank war with Abby and Kasai…” Seth was now going to avoid the castle for about the next year or so, lest he get conscripted into this thing.

“Also, what did you mean when you said I was only young?” Mewtwo asked.

“Ah, well, amongst the files on my desk, there was some… information about you,” Seth explained. “And one was about when you were… born?”

“Ah, yes… when I had to fill out that incident report,” He let out a physical sigh and looked at the Luxray. “You do realise that the fact was was ‘born’ only fifteen years ago, that has nothing to do with my mental capacity.”

“Of course,” Seth replied. “But maturity is something you get from experience. And you’ve live in isolation for almost your entire life.” The Luxray started to walk again as Mewtwo followed this time. “Look, my point is, I don’t blame you for what happened. It was an unfortunate accident and let’s leave it that that hm? We’re friends after all.”

“Friends…” Mewtwo echoed and a small smile graced his muzzle. “So, what does the wise Seth Crescent recommend for gaining maturity?”

“Funny,” Seth deadpanned. “And trust me, you’re asking the wrong guy for that one.” he let out a small chuckle as he rounded a corridor and headed towards the throne room. “Still, if you ever just wanna hang out, let me know. And Fritter always loves having guests over for dinner.” Seth got a distant look in his eyes and drooled. “You have not truly lived until you have a Fritter Feast.”

“Heh, perhaps I’ll take you up on that someday,” Mewtwo responded. It didn’t take psychic powers to tell how fondly Seth thought about his friends and family. “As long as I’m not intruding…”

“As long as we have a days notice, you’re always welcome,” Seth nodded as they reached the throne room. Midnight was waiting patiently for them and Mewtwo turned his head to avoid looking her in the eye, causing the mare to giggle.

“The Princess is waiting for you,” Midnight nodded at the Solar Guard, who opened the door for them. Seth and Midnight walked in, Mewtwo following, curious as to what was going on.

Aside from a few more Guards, Raven, the Princess’s personal assistant, and Princess Celestia herself, the room was empty.

“Slow day?” Seth asked as he walked in.

“Those are virtually non-existent these days,” Celestia chuckled. “No, we’re just breaking for a little lunch. Even I need to eat dear Seth.”

“Ah, well if I’m interrupting your lunch,” Seth replied, but Celestia stopped him.

“Nonsense, I can do both at once,” she replied. “Now, what can I do for you today?”

Midnight saluted and presented the file they’d written, which Raven took and gave it a once over. Seth caught the fact her ears drooped slightly as she looked at the Luxray, before she levitated it up to Celestia.

Even the princess had been curious as to her assistant’s reaction and red the file herself.

“...Oh,” she replied and looked at Seth with a wilted expression. “And every word…?”

“Is true,” Seth replied with a small nod. “And please Tia, I don’t need anypony’s sympathy. My life has had it’s difficulties, just like many others. But I don’t regret any of it.” Well, for the most part anyhow. “I still need to get a physical and a medical report done, but if you don’t mind, I’ll leave that for a few days.”

“Of course,” Celestia replied. She had almost descended from her throne to give him a hug, but he might not have appreciated that. “Thank you for this. I feel as though I know you a little better now.”

Seth nodded and smiled. “Also, I have a favour to ask of you.”

“Ask away.”

“Well, as you know, the Pokemon Contest is coming up the day after tomorrow. And, I have been made aware of a few vital components that I’m missing,” Seth explained. “I think I’ve solved most of them already. But the issue of security remains.”

“And you’d like to use some of my Guard?” Celestia hazarded a guess.

“If it’s not too much trouble,” Seth nodded. “I know it’s asking a lot, but if you could help out at all, that would be great.”

“Well, I do plan on attending, as does Luna,” Celestia nodded. “So my personal guard will be present.” She smiled and looked at Midnight. “First Lieutenant Song?”

“I have a few friends who wouldn’t mind a little extra work,” she replied with a salute. It was kind of strange to see Midnight act so professionally, but then, she was a guard after all. “I think I could rustle up a few volunteers.”

Celestia smiled and looked at Seth. “Well, I believe that matter is settled also. Is there anything else Captain Crescent?”

“Oh, so formal my Princess,” Seth bowed and smirked. “Yes, I believe that is just about everything. It’s nice to see that the Pokemon and ponies here in Canterlot get along without too much incident.” He looked around and relaxed when Celestia quirked an eyebrow over his formal behaviour. “How are things here in the castle?”

“By that, I assume you mean Hastings?” Celestia replied.

“Astute as always,” Seth nodded. “How is Albert doing? Abby said that he’d… well tried some rather drastic actions involving self-harm.”

“Yes, that wasn’t something we had anticipated,” the alicorn sighed as Raven poured her a cup of tea, offering one to Seth as well. The Luxray smiled and nodded, gladly accepting the drink. “And it was more fortunate that he didn’t go through with it in the end. His rational mind is currently battling his guilt-ridden side…”

“The mind, for all its complexity, is a fragile thing,” Seth said pensively. “Maybe… I should meet with him at some point. When he’s feeling a little more stable.”

“That might be a good idea,” Celestia nodded. “We are keeping him separate from Ms. Trombley and Mrs. Belle right now, but perhaps he might benefit from meeting with you…” The alicorn gazed at the file he’d given her. “Is this… about your parents?”

“...No,” Seth replied after a moment's pause. “Yes… I don’t know,” he sighed. “I have questions of course, but I doubt he’s in the right frame of mind to answer them, nor am I to most likely be satisfied even if he could.” The Luxray sipped his tea and closed his eyes. “Never mind, perhaps its best I don’t meet him again for the time being.”

“Perhaps,” Celestia hummed. She decided to change the subject for the time being and brought up another matter. “So, has Ms. Fritter given my offer any thought?”

Seth opened his eyes and then tilted his head slightly. “Offer?”

“The envelope I gave you before you left for Ponyville,” Celestia reminded him. “You… did read it yes?”

Seth groaned and facepawed. “With everything that happened, I completely forgot about it,” he said. “Is it important?”

Celestia giggled and nodded her head. “I’d like for her to join my Council, as a Minister of Agriculture.”

Seth’s eyes widened and his mouth opened slightly. “Wow… okay, yeah, so that’s important.”

“Would you mind if I called by tonight then?” the alicorn asked. “Just quick visit, and she doesn’t have to decide right away.”

“Sure, I’ll let her know you’ll be stopping by,” Seth nodded. Raven voiced her concerns, that Celestia was far too busy to be making housecalls.

“It’s fine Raven,” the princess replied. “If she agrees, she’ll be quite an important pony. And given that it is a selfish request on my end, the least I can do is ask her in person about it.”

“Very well then,” Raven sighed. “I’ll rearrange your schedule to add a brief visit.”

“Thank you my dear,” Celestia smiled. “Let’s say… seven? That’s when Luna’s court begins, so I can afford to slip away for a bit.”

“Alrighty,” Seth nodded. “I’ll go and let her know now.” he got up and returned the teacup to the tray next to Raven. “Thankyou for the tea Miss Raven. It was delicious.”

“You’re welcome,” she replied with a friendly smile and Midnight saluted the Princess before the duo left, still having quite a bit of work to do.


“Ah still can’t believe that the Princess is comin’!” Fritter panicked as she raced around the house, making sure it wa spotless. After Seth had told her that Celestia would be visiting, she had flown into a cleaning frenzy, and hadn’t seemed to have stopped while Seth was out finishing his work for the day. Mind you, that was the downside to a significantly larger home. It took a heck of a lot longer to clean.

“Relax,” Seth said, catching the mare as she ran past and pulled her into a hug. “Look, it’s just a friendly visit. She just wants to say hello, and ask a few things is all.”

“But it’s the Princess!” Fritter squirmed, but Seth held her tightly.

“And you, my pretty mare, still need to relax,” he hummed, kissing the top of her forehead. “Look, just have some cake and tea ready, and be your beautiful self okay?”

“...Fine,” Fritter blushed, her panic dissolving under his words. “Y’all shoulda been a snake Pokemon with that silver tongue o’yers.”

“Hmm, then I’d love to have you wrapped in my coils,” he purred, nibbling one of her ears and causing her to squeak and blush harder.

Meanwhile, Rika was busy cradling the Egg as Midnight looked at it with awe.

“So, Pokemon are really born from eggs?” She asked the Sylveon.

“Yup, no matter what species, we all come from eggies like this,” she giggled. “I’m still super curious as to what’s inside of it though.” At that, the egg gave a small wiggle and Rika’s eyes shone. “Ohh, and it looks like it won’t be too long now.”

“That’d be cool, to see a Pokemon egg hatch,” Midnight beamed. “I bet I’d be the first pony to see it happen too!”

“Maybe,” Rika nodded as she rubbed the egg. “Why don’t you stick around for the night? We have a guest room or two now.”

“I might,” Midnight replied as she touched the egg with a hoof. “Oh wow, it’s warm!”

“Mhmm, it’s bad for most eggs to get them too cold, even for Ice-type Pokemon,” Rika explained.

“And she’s been quite the doting mother since it showed up,” Umbra spoke up, causing Rika to jump. “I’m rather proud of her.” She idly wondered what Sevvy would think if she told him he was going to be a grandfather. He’d probably reply by saying that he’d be the grandest grandfather that ever lived. She missed that loony snake…

“Mom…” Rika blushed a little from the praise. Seth had released Fritter so she could go and put some tea on and whip up a little dessert while he moved to nuzzle Rika.

“So how was work?” she asked him, placing a kiss on his cheek. “Hectic?”

“A little, but I sorted out a lot for the Contest as well,” he said, returning the kiss. “And there was that thing with the Tyranitar. Luckily, ice-cream and Midnight solve a lot of my problems.”

“There isn’t much ice-cream can’t solve,” Midnight said seriously. "And I am very good at what I do, so me solving problems is to be expected."

“Hey wait!” Rika turned back to Seth. “You got ice-cream and didn’t invite me? No fair!”

“I’ll take you out for ice-cream next time okay?” Seth chuckled and nuzzled her again. “We could make it a date.”

“Yay~” Rika grinned happily and nuzzled his again.

“Man, your girls are seriously cute,” Midnight chuckled. “You are one lucky lion Boss.”

“Tell me about it,” Seth replied as he hugged Rika. A knock at the door garnered his attention and he got up with a small grunt and ambled over to the door, opening it to reveal Princess Celestia, along with a Ninetales.

“Good evening Seth,” Celestia smiled. “I’m not too early am I?”

“Sup guys?” she sang when she saw Princess Celestia.

“‘Sup yourself Midnight Song,” the Princess giggled. "Didn't you say you had a... 'hot date' was it? How come you're here instead?"

“Uhh,” the bat shook her head and smiled. “Well, I find myself free tonight, and Seth said that the eggy might hatch soon, so I thought I’d swing by…”

“Mewtwo rejected her,” Seth informed the princess and Midnight frowned, smacking him with a wing.

“Yes! I mean, how? Who could resist this!” she exclaimed, motioning to her rather lithe, yet curvy body. Seth did have to admit that as far as ponies go, Midnight was very attractive. “Bah! That cat just has no sense…”

Celestia shook her head and sighed. Midnight was an exceptional guard with outstanding skills in combat, strategy and a fierce sense of duty.

However, she was also rather… forward with her romantic pursuits. Though, the Princess had wondered if the thestral mare was as skilled as she said she was…

Seth shook his head, he saw that the fox Pokemon that had come in with Celestia wasn’t Abby, “So, who’s your friend here?” He asked the monarch.

“This is Ninetales, my companion,” Celestia introduced her. “She hasn’t come out of the castle much, so I thought she could do with a little walk.”

“Mhmm, nice to meet you,” the fox replied in a sweet tone. “And Tia could use the walk just as much. She’s been hitting the cake a little hard lately~”

“And you have been scarfing down those Pokepuffs like they were going out of style,” Celestia countered and Ninetales pouted, turning on the puppy dog eyes.

“Ap! I invented that trick,” Celestia chided her.

“Besides,” Rika replied and walked up to Celestia. “It’s done like this.” And with that, her baby-blue eyes sparkled and seemed to grow to an almost impossible size. Celestia but her lip and looked away, though she could still feel those eyes on her.

Must. Resist. Urge… to hug!

Luckily, she was saved by Seth, as he Luxray picked Rika up by the scruff of the neck and carried her off.

“Aww, I almost had her,” Rika pouted as Seth rolled his eyes and dumped her on the couch.

Celestia sighed and smiled weakly at Seth. “My thanks. That is a dangerous weapon you have there.”

“Don’t worry, I have no desire to take over the world… yet,” Seth chuckled as he poked his head into the kitchen to check on Fritter. Once he informed her that their guests had arrived, he returned and sat on the rug in the living room. “Maybe I should start with Canterlot though…”

“Don’t do that, I would be forced to sic Twilight on you if you did,” the alicorn giggled. “Do you want to sit through a twelve hour lecture on how illogical it would be to try a hostile takeover?”

“Pass,” Seth replied. “Besides, ruling is way too hands on. I figure I’d take over, then just rent the world back to everyone. Life continues as normal and me and my family live in opulence.”

“You have put thought into it,” the princess replied, now wondering how serious this conversation was.

“Well, think about it,” Seth said. “If you or Luna are removed from power, the sun and moon don’t move. The planet would die in a few months. I mean, you’d have to be outrageously stupid to ruin what’s already a pretty-well organised system.”

“And yet so few figure that out,” Celestia sighed.

Apple Fritter entered the room, carrying a tray of tea and coffee, which Celestia took from her and floated it over to the table. The mare blinked, then bowed before her.

“Oh dear, no need for that,” Celestia smiled. “This is your home after all, and I invited myself. It is I who should be grateful to you.”

“I, uh, okay?” Fritter stammered and Seth laughed.

“See pretty mare, I told you that you had nothing to fret over.” He pulled the earth pony into a hug and kissed her forehead. “So, what did you come here for Tia?”

“Ah,” Celestia sipped her tea and hummed delightedly at the sweet flavour. “First, what is this tea? I’ve never had it before. And for one as old as I, that’s saying something.”

“Oh, that there is Seth’s favourite,” Fritter replied. “Ah peel the skin from a Pecha berry, and then boil it along with some apple peels and some tea leaves.”

“Everything here has apples in it,” Seth chuckled.

“Well, I must get the recipe from you,” Celestia replied and sipped at it again. “It’s delicious!”

“Thank you kindly yer Highness,” Apple Fritter said and bowed her head again.

Celestia nodded, forgiving the bow this time. “But Seth is right. I should explain why I’ve come to visit you. Did you have a chance to look at the letter I gave you a while back?”

“Letter?” Fritter asked and Seth chuckled nervously.

“Well, I ah, kinda forgot to give it to her in the first place,” the Luxray admitted and both mares rolled their eyes.

“Typical stallion,” Fritter said flatly.

“Agreed,” Celestia replied in the same tone and then the two giggled, leaving Seth to huff quietly. After the giggles stopped, the alicorn cleared her throat and nodded. “Well, I’ll get right to the point. Ms. Apple Fritter? I’d like for you to join my Council, as a Minister of Agriculture.”

Everyone aside from Seth paused and looked at the alicorn.

“Ah-ah’m sorry,” Fritter said slowly. “Did you say…?”

“That I’d like you to join my Council? Yes. yes I did,” the princess replied with a soft smile. “I believe you have both the knowledge of the trade, and the tenacity and patience to handle the job effectively.”

“Ah don’t…” Fritter paused. How was this even happening? She was just an apple farmer. How, had she gained all this luck in such a short time. “Ah don’t know,” she answered. “Yer Highness, with all due respect. Ah’m just a farmer. Ah have no skills to handle sumthin’ like that.”

“You don’t have to answer right away,” Celestia said, wearing her ever present smile. “But do try and think it over okay?”

“Ah will, jus’... still wonderin’ why y’all chose me.” There was a sudden ding from the kitchen and Fritter used that to escape for the time being.

“Aw, Fritters used Run Away,” Rika giggled, earning a snort of amusement from Seth.

"Urgh! Is this egg gonna hatch or what?" Midnight groaned.

“Well, I don’t know if it’ll happen tonight,” Seth said as Rika nursed the egg gently. “Still, it’d be nice if it happens soon.”

“Perhaps if y’all ask it real nice like,” Fritter giggled as she trotted back into the room, her back held a tray with a simple cake on it. She’d whipped up a basic strawberry shortcake, but substituted the strawberries with Pecha berries and then covered it with a buttercream frosting.

“Oh wow, I’m getting a toothache just looking at that,” Midnight mentioned, even as she licked her lips. She had quite the taste for sweet things, especially mango and red grapefruit.

“That looks delicious,” Celestia murmured and Ninetales chuckled at the sight of her Mistress drooling at the sight of it.

“Ah hope it turned out alright,” Fritter nodded as she placed the cake on the table and sliced it. Umbra used Psychic to float the plates over to those that wanted some, Fritter had made a slightly larger serve for Celestia and Seth.

The alicorn gave the cake a tentative sniff, before she speared it with her fork and levitated a piece to her mouth. When she bit down on it, she paused, her eyes widening and her right ear giving a small twitch. The flavour that exploded in her mouth was beyond description.

“Tia?” Ninetales tilted her head. “Are you… okay?”

Amazing…” The alicorn’s hushed whisper could barely be heard, before she gave Apple Fritter a wide smile as her eyes twinkled. “This cake is absolutely delicious!” she exclaimed. “I simply must have the recipe!”

“Ah can arrange that,” Fritter beamed. She’d served royalty before, since she had catered for Cadence’s wedding. But seeing the literal fruits of her love and labor be so well received up close like this? It was a good feeling.

“Applebutt is the best chef in Equestria,” Rika giggled as she held the egg close, while she nibbled on the sweet cake. Umbra had taken a bite, but found it waaay too sweet for her tastes. She wondered how Seth didn’t have diabetes yet…

“Our opinion may be considered biased,” Seth laughed as he nuzzled his mare. “But it’s still the truth.”

“Aww,” Ninetales cooed at the adorable behaviour. That was when Rika yelped, as the egg in her grasp started to shine gently and shake.

“Ahhh, Sethy?” she said, holding it like it was about to explode. “What the what is going on!?”

Midnight gasped as Seth set the egg down in the middle of the rug. “Is it—?”

“Yeah, it’s about to hatch,” Seth nodded as everyone sat around the circular rug. The egg pulsed with a soft light that grew brighter and brighter.

“What do you think’s inside?” Fritter asked and Seth shrugged. “Get ready to act fast. If it’s something like a Slugma, then we’ll need some water and a safe place to put it.” he looked at Celestia. “Could you ready a Teleport spell? Just in case.”

Celestia nodded as her horn gave a gentle glow and Seth made a realisation. Abilities like Magma Armour and Flame Body could cause eggs to hatch faster. Could Celestia’s presence had done the same?

The egg continued to grow, as a large crack formed along the shell, splitting into smaller, hairline cracks that spiderwebbed along its surface. Seth blinked as something begun to seep through the cracks, mixing with the light.

It… looked like computer code?

His eyes widened as he put the pieces of the puzzle together and realised what might be inside. The rest of them didn’t have to wait long to find out either. The shell crumbled as light spilled forth and begun to take form. Rika was practically vibrating with excitement as Midnight stared, her eyes dancing and sparkling with anticipation.

The light began to dim as the Pokemon took form, and once it faded entirely…

Begin Startup sequence.

Load Operating Systems.

Loaded.

Receive visual input…

The Porygon opened its eyes and took in the entire room, scanning the inhabitants and cataloguing them. It started to hum and whir…

Accessing local Memory.

Assigning designations.

It saw the Luxray first, its memories telling it who it was. Along with the Sylveon and the earth pony, the Porygon assigned them their respective designations.

Accessing primary systems.

Configuring personal designation.

“A Porygon?” Rika blinked. “Where… did a Porygon egg come from?”

“I have no idea,” Seth said as the sound of his voice attracted the attention of the floating Pokemon.

“Greetings…” the Porygon replied in a feminine tone. “I am…” She paused and ticked a few times. “You may address me as Designation: Dextra. It is a pleasure to become acquainted with you… Father Seth.”

“...” Seth blinked and paused, as this ‘Dextra’ simulated a sigh.

“My apologies. It appears that I overestimated your processing power. Allow me to simplify. I am your daughter…”

Everyone stopped and looked at Seth, particularly Rika and Fritter.

“...what?” was all Seth could say before his brain checked out.

PreviousChapters Next