• Published 16th May 2014
  • 12,297 Views, 1,530 Comments

A Brave New World - Ausbrony



A side story to A New World, A New Way. Pokemon Trainer, Seth Crescent finds himself in a new world, and a new body when a plan enacted by Arceus takes effect.

  • ...
50
 1,530
 12,297

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty Seven

It was finally time, the day of the Canterlot Pokemon Contest. Everyone was up bright and early, assisting Fritter with chores before the sun had even risen.

"I can't believe the day's finally here!" Rika exclaimed and bounced up and down. "This Contest is gonna be so awesome!!"

"Ah reckon," Fritter nodded as she served up breakfast. It was even more of a feast than usual. "Now eat up, y'all are gonna need yer strength fer this."

After a hearty breakfast, Seth left to make sure the Contest would start smoothly. He also had to meet someone at the train station, his newest family member hovering beside him.

“So, I finally get to meet him then?” she pinged, a little simulated sigh of happiness.

“Yeah, he was definitely coming,” Seth replied. “He said he’d help monitor the sound systems and lighting after all.”

“And... is he aware of my existence?” Dextra asked. Seth shook his head and smiled.

“No, so it should be an interesting surprise,” he replied as Dextra’s eyes formed a frowny face.

“You are an evil Pokemon sometimes...”


The Contest Hall was empty... at least for the moment. In a matter of hours, Seth was expecting hundreds of Pokemon and ponies to be arriving. Realistically, he was expecting only half the Hall to be filled today. Optimistically, he was hoping to test that big outdoor projector for the individuals that couldn't fit into the packed out hall.

"Well, I trust you have everything ready?" Titania asked, making sure the dress she wore had no wrinkles.

"As ready as they can be," Seth nodded to the Fairy Pokemon. "Elesa's setting up her rig, and the stage lighting is already good to go. We're just waiting on—"

"Hey Boss!" Midnight flew in and landed next to him. "Got your security detail with me. No trouble-makers are getting in on my watch."

And that's a load of my mind," Seth smiled and shared a hoofbump with Midnight. "Thanks again Songbat."

"Anytime," she nodded and flew outside to start ordering placements for the guards.

"Well, guess I'm running the frontlines," Titania said, before she was joined by Suri and Sassy, who would also be helping her run the desk for admittance to the show. Suri also had a stack of leaflets for her Boutique. Wouldn't hurt to drum up a little business after all~

"Ah, and thanks for Rika and Selena's outfits," Seth smiled and the Fairy. "They look even more amazing because of you."

"I-It was nothing," Titania blushed and waved a hand.

"No, I really do appreciate it. You look great as well today."

Titania squeaked and blushed harder as she huffed and floated off. Sassy and Suri grinned at one another before following their college.

"Daddy-Seth?" Dextra pinged. "You truly are a hopeless cause."

"What? What did I do?" Seth asked as the Porygon just simulated a sigh. There was no hope for him.


The train station was bustling today, the turnout for the Contest had been more than Seth was expecting and he wondered if any of the numerous Pokemon and ponies gathered here were contestants or spectators.

“Now arriving! The train from Las Pegasus!” the stationmaster called out over the noise. Seth watched the colourful vehicle approach, curious as to who decided to accompany the Porygon-Z.

The first two familiar forms off the train, he really should have seen coming. A Kadabra and a Lucario, hand-in-hand, disembarked from the entirely too-gaudy train. Following after them, the Porygon-Z he had been expecting…

Along with a form he hadn’t been expecting to see again so soon. A familiar, strange Gabite walked off the train and cracked her neck a few times before falling into line behind the other three. After that, it seemed like nobody else from their family had elected to come along.

Seth half-ran over to them, smiling widely as he tapped the torc on his chest. He was excited to see his friends again. “HEY GUYS!” he called out, and put a paw to his mouth. He’d forgotten how loud that enchantment was.

After a moment for everyone on the platform to cover their ears and glare at the Luxray for nearly deafening them, the small portion of the Nurem family walked over to him, with the Kadabra of the quartet chuckling. “Someone missed us,” Vincent observed, before looking at the Porygon nearby. “And it seems you made a new friend.”

“Greetings lower lifeforms~” The Porygon pinged happily. “This unit is designated Dextra. I believe that I am supposed to feel... pleasure? In meeting my extended family?”

Lucy looked from Dextra to Bit, her mind already putting a few pieces of the puzzle together. “Wait...in order for us to be related to you, you would have to be related to Bit, but that would mean…”

“Allow me to exp-” Seth started but Dextra cut him off.

“Daddy Seth, allow me please?” She turned to the group and made a smiley face. “A few days ago, I hatched from an Egg that was generated from Daddy Seth’s Pokedex. An Egg created from leftover coding left behind by Daddy Bit’s last interface with the device.”

At the mention of him being a father, Bit had given the Porygon his undivided attention. Vincent could almost hear all his other trains of thought stopping. “Clarify,” the Porygon-Z stated, his usual, minor twitchy behavior stopping as he held himself still.

“I... am unsure of how the Egg was generated,” Dextra admitted. “My program was not fully self-aware at the time. Traits from your programming and the inherent power in Daddy Seth’s lightning were also contributing factors, but...” Dextra pinged once more as she looked at the Porygon-Z. “I believe that magic was involved somehow.”

Bit whirred a little louder after being told he was not only a father, but that magic, of all things, was involved in the conception of said being. After a moment or two, he stopped making noise at all, and Vincent reached up one hand to touch the program. “Bit? You okay, bud-”

At his touch, Bit stopped hovering, his head and body falling to the station’s floor as he not only locked up, but stopped everything else to work on the conundrum he’d been presented with.

“And he only just got over the Fox thing as well,” Lucy sighed as she picked up Bit’s pieces. “Why does Equestria seem to have it out for him?”

“Just lucky I guess?” Seth shrugged. “I didn’t mean for that to happen...”

“But you did predict it,” Dextra pinged and Seth face pawed.

“Dammit Dexxy...” The Luxray looked at the group and smiled. “So, where are you guys staying while here?”

“Same place as last time, I think,” Vincent said while stroking his mustache. “Lucy and I can still share a room, leaving Christine to her own. Wherever Bit chooses to set up is his business...which reminds me, Christine, if you would?”

“On it,” the Dragon said as she walked down to the luggage car.

“Yeah, I could grab his things and ours from here with Teleport,” the Kadabra said once the landshark had left hearing range. “But she kinda insisted on tagging along and doing things for us, so I figure, why not let her?”

“Fair enough, Rika will be happy to see her again at least,” Seth started to say, until said Sylveon leapt out of the luggage cart and tackle-hugged the unsuspecting dragon…

“Ack!” Christine said, almost moving to slice the attacker, before what was going on registered. “Oh you sneaky Fairy!” she said with a laugh. “Still, I’m doing something at the moment! So, off!”

“Aw~” Rika pouted as she climbed down from the dragon’s head. “I can’t believe that you came! Now I get to show you my performance and you’ll be super astounded and then we’ll go out and have fun and I can show you-Mmmphhh!” The rest of her tirade was muffled as Seth placed a paw over her mouth.

“Okay, that’s quite enough of that,” Seth sighed as he threw the fairy onto his back. “Sorry, I have a ton to do today and I can’t afford much time right now.” The Luxray gave a small bow and looked at Bit. “When he wakes up, can you tell him I require tech support at the Contest hall?”

“Not a problem, he’ll probably only take an hour...maybe two, to reboot. If you need him before then, I can probably hurry the process along,” the Kadabra said as he drew his spoon from thin air.

Dextra hovered over Bit as a small spark generated from her body. “Daddy Bit, stop being foolish and re-boot. Use your defragmentation setting and open in Safe Mode if need be!”

“S’not gonna work,” Lucy said as she shifted her passenger around to make sure he was easy to carry. “Once he’s down, he’ll be that way for a while.”

“I’ll work on fixing him up myself, I have access to a few unfair things regarding his operating systems,” Vincent added as he looked at Christine. “C’mon, we have a room to book.”

“Yeah yeah,” the Gabite replied as she finally gathered up the family’s luggage, thankful that there wasn’t much and that it all had wheels. Christine turned to Rika and actually smiled. “See you later, best hat ever.”

Seth nodded as Dextra just beeped and pouted. What a disappointing first impression. How was it meeting your father? Oh, not bad, just broke him so hard he literally fell to pieces.

“C’mon Dexxy,” Seth said as he pulled the Porygon into a hug. “Bit just has a hard time processing things he... doesn’t quite understand. Especially when magic seems to be involved.”

“Fine...” Dextra pouted. “We have much to do Daddy Seth. We should be going.”

Seth nodded as he turned back to Vincent and the group. “The Contest starts at 11, we’ll be letting spectators in around 10... but if you guys wanna get in early, I’ll let the guards know to let you in.”

“That’d be appreciated,” Vincent said and held up a hand. “You wanna tell me where we should drag him?”

“There’s a large hall in the Theatre District,” Seth mentioned. “There’s posters and stuff everywhere, but Christine should know. She was with me when I first scouted the place out.”

“Darn right,” Christine said with a nod. “Let’s get this stuff put away, then I can show you where to go Vincent.”

“All right,” the Kadabra said with a chuckle, before giving a final bit of advice to Dextra. “Dextra, was it? Take it from me, while meeting Bit probably could have gone better? It could have been so much worse as well.”

Dextra just pinged and nodded, but didn’t say anything. Rika reached up with her ribbons to hug the young Porygon as Seth turned towards the station’s entrance.

“Okay, we’ll see you soon then. Prepare for hugs from the others though…” He paused, he knew he had something else to tell him, but couldn’t for the life of him remember what. Oh well, probably wasn’t important.

“Noted,” the psychic said as the four of them walked off. Well, three of them walked off. One was carried. Seth looked back at his Pokemon and smiled.

“Ready to host a Contest?”

“Nope, but let’s do it anyway!” Rika gigged as the group set off. Today was going to be one hell of a day.


“Now?” Seth called as she paced around the large stage, while Dextra adjusted the sound from the audio booth.

“Sorry,” she pinged. “I just cannot seem to get the sound dispersion right. It is either too loud or too soft. The speakers at the rear of the hall also seem to be malfunctioning. Linking all this is quite the hassle.”

Your voice carries well enough, Diantha spoke into his head as she sat at the far end of the hall. But those in the private boxes will have trouble hearing.

“Dammit,” Seth muttered. “I know I wanted to switch the speakers, but this is getting ridiculous. We open in less than two hours!”

The main door opened as if on cue, and Vincent walked in, with Bit thankfully floating behind him. If one looked, they could see the form of a certain landshark outside the door, clearly having come along this far, but unwilling to go much further.

“We’re not late, are we?” the psychic of the pair asked.

“Thank Xerneas!” Seth exclaimed. “Bit, can you please head to the soundbooth up there? We’re having massive problems getting the speakers to link up. And Vincent, we could use some fine control over here with Elesa’s turntable.”

“Acknowledged,” Bit said as he began floating off. Vincent ‘ported himself across the room, an expression of curiosity on his brow as he reappeared next to the turntable.

“Dunno what you think I can do about this, but let’s hear it,” the Kadabra commented. Elesa peered over at him from behind the table, several wires looped around her neck.

“Hey there! Name’s Elesa!” the Ampharos smiled brightly. “And well, do you think you could help plug a few cables in while I check the sound. Can’t do both and Seth’s paws are too big for plugging stuff in and whatnot.”

“Not a problem, though you may wanna step back from the cords,” the psychic warned as one hand started to glow. “Cause I might be good at fine control, but I’d rather not snag you by accident.”

Elesa nodded as she untangled herself and got around to the performing side of the table. “All the cords are colour co-ordinated, so just match ‘em up.” As Vincent plugged a few in, Elesa tried the sound, pressing a button as the powerful thumping bass of hard dubstep rocked out, blowing Seth off of the stage.

“Uh, too loud?” Elesa called out.

“Too... loud...” Seth groaned from the floor.

“I was unaware you knew how to put Hyper Voice into a mechanical device,” Vincent commented with a laugh. “Or that Seth could be so easily knocked out by one move.”

“Hmm, might have to remember that setting,” Elesa mused. “Okay foxboy, try that cord... aaand, that one.”


Up in the soundbooth, Dextra hovered over a panel of switches, cursing the primitive pony technology.

“If I had a wireless interface, this would not be an issue!” she buzzed.

“Fortunately, this unit does have such a device. It has not seen much use recently, but the interface is there,” she heard from the doorway. Dextra turned as saw Bit hovering there.

“Da- I mean, Mr. Bit! Are you feeling better now?” Dextra asked. The Porygon-Z pointed one arm at her and shuddered a bit, making the sound of a simulated deep breath before replying.

“We will...discuss that later,” Bit stated. “At the current moment, it would only serve to be a distraction from the matter at hand, and I cannot afford the processing power it would take to consider that matter and still function optimally. What is the current situation with this equipment, unit Dextra?”

Dextra paused, so was he mad at her? She motioned towards the soundboard and simulated a sigh. “The speakers won’t connect properly. The ones inside the private boxes are completely offline and there’s some sort of residual feedback.”

“I see,” Bit said as he hovered closer to the soundboard. “Dextra, Sub- Christine the Gabite is outside, and has my things. One of them is a modified solar-powered charger Seth gave me. If you would be so kind as to aid her in setting it up and bringing the cord from it to me, I would not have to worry over the course of the next few hours.”

Dextra nodded and hovered off silently, leaving Bit to his own devices for the time being.

Once outside, she saw Seth’s new partner Midnight Song. She was trying to talk with Christine, but the shy dragon wasn’t saying much in return.

“Are you Christine?” Dextra asked as she hovered closer. All she got in return was a nod as the Gabite looked back at the Thestral mare.

“Okay, okay. I get it,” Midnight sighed. “I’ll leave you alone.” She trotted off, checking to see if the Guards on duty were doing their job right and no Pokemon was causing problems.

“Midnight Song is mostly harmless,” Dextra stated as she floated closer, warily though. “She does partake in conversational matter that is considered... perverse, by other biological units however.”

“Yeah, probably she was,” Christine commented. “However, others showing such interest in me never ended well on Earth, and it’s still a bit of a hurdle to muscle past. Plus, I forgot to ask Vincent for a translation link before we came.”

“I see,” Dextra pinged. “Can you please come inside with me? Dad- I mean, Unit Bit requires his personal effects. Including a solar charger.”

“Can’t see how much use a solar charger would be inside,” the dragon said with a roll of her eyes. “Unless you have an artificial sun-lamp in there.”

“I could ask Uncle Ignis to use Sunny Day,” Dextra hummed. “But the logical choice would be to place the charger on the window closest to the soundroom. The sun angles in this direction from just after noon. So it would be in full light until evening.”

“Not a problem,” the dragon said as she pulled a piece of luggage into rolling position from nearby. “Just tell me where to go.” Dextra beeped and motioned for the dragon to follow. She soon led her to the soundbooth and with her help, fixed the solar panel on the outside of the window. Once it was installed, the dragon was ushered out into the main hall again, bumping into a familiar orange dragon.

“Ignis!” she cheered and actually hugged the Charizard. “Man, are you a sight for sore eyes!”

“And you are quite happy to see me huh?” Ignis laughed as he hugged the little dragon back, a little surprised at the affection. “How have you been?”

“Eh, busy,” she shrugged. “These knuckleheads don’t need me to break ‘em out anymore, so when they said they were comin’ back here, I figured I could tag along and make sure nothing happened while they were out.” Looking from one side to the other, the Gabite then whispered to the Charizard. “Not...everyone believed Vincent about Bit…”

“I can imagine,” Ignis replied quietly. “Though, what are the odds of running into another Subject here?” Ignis paused as he facepalmed. “I really should stop doing that...” He’d all but invoked Murphy now.

“Which is why I’m here,” Christine said with a nod. “I mean, having you guys around for security, pretty nice...but now that I’m here, we should be unstoppable.”

“Hah! Says the dragon who’s never won a fight against us,” Ignis chuckled as he petted her on the head. He placed a claw on her shoulder and sighed. “So... who’s the lucky guy?” It wasn’t hard to pick up the male’s scent on her. Something about it… seemed familiar.

“Sceptile,” She replied honestly as she kept looking at the stage. “Told me the best things and meant them, so I gave him a run for his money. He was just better.” Christine actually sighed as she thought about her absent mate. “Had to go, but he knows better than to not write while he’s abroad.” On the stage, a trio of a Lopunny, Gardevoir and Medicham emerged, all carrying instruments of some kind.

“Anyway, I gotta back up the Guards. You take care and enjoy the show, okay little lady?”

“Can do,” the Gabite replied. “Should be interesting anyways. Never saw one.”

“I keep forgetting you were pretty much a wild Pokemon before all this. Well, Rika and Selena should be down at the stage if you want to say hi.” The dragon petted her on the head and walked off. Christine turned the thought over before deciding to say hello to her friends. She walked up to the stage and started looking around for the Fairy and Dark types.

That was when something soft and pink landed on her head. “Hiya Chrissie!” Rika giggled, nuzzling the dragon.

“Oh goodie, more dragons with anger issues,” Selena smirked. “Like Zinnia wasn’t enough of a pain.”

“Hey, I haven’t blow up at one ‘mon for nearly a week,” Christine said. “Whatever the kid and Luke did worked.”

Seth’s ear flicked when he overheard that.

“Well, that’s good,” Rika nodded. “It means that we can be bestest friends forever now! We’ll eat cake and go shopping and chat about boys…” She gasped and looked at her. “Or girls… if that’s your thing.”

“Given how she eyes my Charizard, I’d say she likes males Rika,” Selena deadpanned.

“You have to admit, he’s a fine looking dragon,” Christine said with a slight murr to her voice as she thought about said dragon.

“Of course he is,” Selena nodded. “He does this thing with his tongue that just—” She suddenly blushed and shut her mouth. “I’m being quiet now.”

“Aww, see, this is why we need to hang out,” Rika nodded. “We could totes share sexy stories… well, first we have to get Chrissie a mon so she has sexy stories to share…”

“So what you’re telling me is, Ignis has a better nose than either of you?” the landshark posed to the pair of female ‘mon.

Rika and Selena paused and looked at her as they sniffed the air.

“Have you been rolling around in the grass or something?” Selena asked.

“She smells like a Grass-type,” Seth helpfully called out from across the other side of the stage.

“Oohhh,” Selena and Rika said.

“Now I know you two can put two and two together,” the Gabite teased.

“You’re dating a Grass-type?” Selena asked and then laughed. “What, did you threaten to set him on fire if he didn’t?”

“I ran, he chased me,” Christine said. “He caught up with me pretty easily. Despite all I did to try and elude him. He more than earned his prize that day~”

“Ooh, did Chrissie do something naughty~” Rika giggled.

“He was so good at taking care of me, we didn’t even care that we were in public,” the dragon murred.

“Wow…” Rika blushed and Selena turned her head to hide her own. “Well, seems we’re all getting romancey and stuff lately. Even Sethy finally—”

“She does not need to know that!!” Seth called out again.

“I shared with you girls,” Christine pointed out. “You can choose not to share back, of course…”

“I totally tamed my kitty~” Rika giggled as Seth groaned and facepawed. “Oh, and Fritter too~ That was a fun night.”

“We heard…” Selena muttered, she wasn’t going to admit what she did that night though. “So, debauchery aside. How have you been Miss Grump Dragon?”

“Honestly? Antsy. Waitin’ for the other shoe to drop on this whole ‘us being transferred’ thing. Can’t shake the idea that something is about to happen. Holdover from the lab, I guess.”

“Well, I’m rather pessimistic about it, so for once, we agree on something,” Selena nodded. “Mind you, if someone tries to mess with this Contest, I will eviscerate them. Wanna help?”

“I sorta have a different target in mind to protect,” Christine said as her eyes flicked up to the soundbooth.

“Hmm?” Selena cast a glance up at the booth as well. “Bit? Why him?”

“Not...everyone believed Vincent that Bit was as much a victim as they were,” Christine said softly. Rika mimicked her saddened expression and hugged her head. The landshark coughed before looking back at Selena. “So, yeah, technically I’m here for security. Just, his security.”

“Fair enough, and of course, we’ll help as well,” Selena nodded and Rika agreed.


“Is the charger ready?” Bit asked as he kept observing the panel, taking note as to which speakers corresponded to which wires.

“Yes,” Dextra pinged. “The solar charger is fully operational and performing within expected parameters.”

“Good,” Bit observed, completing his observation and deciding to handle the problems manually. “Are all the speakers wired into this switchboard?”

“Yes, along with the volume controls for Daddy Seth’s microphone and the three microphone stands on the stage.”

“Excellent,” Bit said...as he then pried the cover off of the device with his arms and beak. Dextra pinged in alarm.

“Dad- Bit. What are you doing?”

“You seem to forget our true nature…” Bit trailed off as he put the cover to one side and gave Dextra a quick wink. “Daughter. We are information. Handling this personally, even for someone like you, should be child’s play.”

Dextra paused as she pinged several times in succession. Daughter... he’d said, daughter!

“Teach me!” she said with honest happiness.

“I need to position myself first,” Bit said as he hovered over the device, considering the problem of positioning. “Attach the cable from the charger to one of my arms. I will use my tail to interface with the switchboard, and you can hold on to the other arm and observe.”

Dextra nodded and she guided the cable to Bit’s arm as she took the other. Seth was a wonderful father, but only Bit could truly teach her what it meant to be a Porygon.

“Beginning link sequence,” Bit stated, before observing something else aloud. “I believe Psychics would call this some sort of meeting of the minds. Anyway. Initiate the link on your end, observer mode only. If you attempt to handle too much in your current evolutionary state, you will likely overheat and lock up.”

“That has happened once already, I will not make the same mistake,” Dextra replied with a hint of bitterness. Then she recalled Rika’s lesson’s on... humour. “Do not worry... old man, I am not as old a model as you.”

“Nor are your skills as refined as mine...yet,” he replied with another wink. “Ready?”

“Yes, Daddy Bit!” Dextra blipped. “Observer Mode startup. Link Sequence. Engage!”

With that, the two of them entered the sea, no, world of code that made up and was contained by Bit’s form. He guided her to observe what he was doing, and once he was certain she’d stopped gawping at the sheer volume of information he contained, began his work.

“Astounding,” Dextra hummed quietly. “Is the final evolution truly so complex?”

“It depends on how well you handle yourself,” Bit stated as he tested the sound system with a quick pulse. Ah yes, some had simply been manufactured to different standards, or were victims of age...or neglect. He compensated and tried again. “As a Porygon, you must be cautious with what you do, what you learn, and what you choose to specialize in, as you can only store so much. All our kind are good at Special moves, yes, so one such as myself is not entirely uncommon. It is what you choose to pick up afterwards that makes you you.”

It was a lot to take in, but Dextra pinged as the conversation was recorded and stored away. She watched her father work and was amazed at the finesse and detail in which he manipulated code and even re-wrote several pieces on the fly. “So much to learn... not enough memory capacity,” she murmured.

“Not even I have enough memory capacity,” Bit stated. This should work a lot better, and...that one private box was being stubborn. “This is mostly information regarding Earth that I traded for with Lord Genesect and the Regi Trio. The information I have regarding Equus is...lacking. And yet, were I to try and understand this world as well as I have the last, I would run out of memory before I got even a tenth of the way.”

“Equus is quite the complex study, and that’s before you get to magic,” Dextra hummed thoughtfully. “I already have basic designs to produce magical batteries... but, all research has led to them... exploding. Violently. I have yet to produce one for field testing.” The Porygon slumped somewhat as she hovered next to Bit. “And after I made such good progress with the holographic projector.”

“Early human science did tend to revolve around explosions,” Bit observed wryly. “Either on purpose or accidentally. Sometimes they needed something to go boom...sometimes they liked watching things go boom.” Finally, the speakers were all balanced. Now to work on a set of formulas that would keep them that way in all conditions. If he could figure out a good set of ratios for all the speakers… “Still, to expect science and magic to relate so readily? I expect the meshing of the two fields to be akin to mixing thermite. Handle with extreme care.”

“Daddy Seth said something similar,” she replied as she absently completed the coding Bit was working on. “Though it was more of an emotional speech, ‘You will find your own way in life and achieve great things. It will take time, but of this, I have no doubt’.”

“My thanks, daughter,” Bit said as he applied Dextra’s code to his own formulas and simplified them. “And he is wise. All Pokemon are capable of great things. What great things you will be capable of...are up to you to determine.”

“Oh?” Dextra hadn’t even realised what she’d done just now. “I did not even... hmm.” She hummed thoughtfully and smiled.

“I would advise for you to spend at least a little time in every state of our line,” Bit said as he stress-tested the calculations and only needed to add a few factors, along with a cutoff switch. “Get used to the feeling of more memory and power before taking on the next. Should you desire, I can create an Up-Grade and Dubious Disk from TM’s.”

“I... I would like that very much,” Dextra grinned, her eyes showing the elated expression. “And it would be interesting to see my combat prowess increase through evolution. I should record the details.” The Porygon bounced a little, beeping happily.

“Yes, I thought you might,” Bit said as he compiled all the work together into a virtual replica of the switchboard...only this one worked. “I believe I am ready.”

Dextra nodded as she adjusted the controls and the band playing suddenly sounded pitch perfect. “Much better,” she hummed happily.

“You could have done something similar...given a day,” Bit observed. “Of this I have no doubt. Simply fixing the issues in the real world was still possible, and you could have done it in time...barely. But why bother working with the problem...when you can work around the problem?”

“I see...” Dextra replied, her own thoughts wandering for a moment. The pair exited the program and re-emerged back in reality. Diantha gave her a wave from the private booth and smiled. Dextra nodded and looked back to her father.

“Thank you very much for your help today. I have learned a great deal and have much to think on.”

“Naturally,” Bit stated as he continued to monitor the levels. “I will stay here and control the sound and lights as needed. Keep in mind: my offer to make you our Evolutionary items is only applicable while I am here in Canterlot.”

“I shall procure the necessary compounds quickly then,” Dextra pinged. “Also... may I ask you something more, personal?”

“You may ask,” Bit said, giving her a bit more attention. “Whether or not I will answer is not guaranteed.”

“Are you and Daddy Seth going to get married?”

Bit locked up for a moment, before smiling at Dextra. “I do not think Apple Fritter or Rika would appreciate the idea, or you asking that question. Porygons are...different, both in formation and how we perceive family.”

“Oh,” Dextra sighed. “Well, I have two families regardless. Mommy Rika says my birthdays will be... crazy,” she said. “I do not know if that is a good thing or not.”

“It is, however, accurate,” Bit observed with a chuckle before motioning for Dextra to draw close with his free arm. Once she did, he gave her a hug. “I can make no promises about the others in the family I reside with...but I at least will show up.”

“Thank you Daddy,” Dextra hummed happily, leaning into the hug.


Seth nodded as the speakers hummed and then Team Charm’s song started sounding a lot better. Vincent and Elesa had found a good setting and now the Gym leader turned DJ was rocking out a nice beat to accompany the instruments that Team Charm carried.

And now Seth was getting a little nervous. Everything was going right, the Contest Hall would open it’s doors soon and then hundreds of ponies, Pokemon and Equus residents would fill the hall.

“Vincent?” Seth asked with an unusually neutral tone. The Kadabra teleported over to stand in front of the Luxray and quirked an eyebrow.

“What’cha need?” the kid-turned-mon asked.

“Well... should my heart be beating a mile a second? And do Luxray’s normally sweat this much...?”

“Hey,” the Kadabra said while putting a hand on the Luxray’s shoulder. “I know what that is. Felt it myself. Nothing much to worry about. Your nerves and ‘what-if’ portions of your brain are going haywire because so much is going on that could go wrong.”

“I believe this is panic attack...” Seth breathed heavily. He suddenly sat down very heavily as he stared at the empty hall. “What if I totally screw this up?”

“Not gonna lie, this could all go sideways,” Vincent agreed. “Anything could happen. But you need to remember something, Seth.”

“And that is?” Seth replied, trying to get his heart rate under control.

“One, you’re not alone. Not only do you have your family, what little of mine came with is here to help as well,” the psychic said. “You are never...really...alone.” His words suddenly reached his own ears and Vincent sighed after saying them.

Seth took several deep breaths and sighed. Calm. No matter what, you can handle this. He opened his eyes again and smiled. “Thanks Vincent... knew there was a reason you’re one of my best friends... and what’s two by chance?”

Vincent perked up and gave a wry grin. “Anything could happen. You’re forgetting about the good stuff as well. Plus, three, no matter what, you’re giving these people a taste of Earth again...along with some of us that never got to see a Contest. No matter what, Seth?” Here the Kadabra gave him a few pats on the shoulder.

“Today will have been a win in my books.”

The Luxray blinked, before smiling and pulling the Kadabra into a crushing furry hug. “Okay! Yeah! I totally have this in the bag.”

“He’s right,” Elesa said. “Since when have you ever backed away from a challenge?”

“True,” Seth nodded. “Oh hey, I guess I never really introduced you two. Elle, this is Vincent Nurem. Former tortured experiment, now one of my best buddies. Vince? This is Elesa, former Nimbasa Gym leader and my former lover.”

“Seth... your intros suck,” Elesa deadpanned.

“Tell me about it,” Vincent said as he ‘ported out of the hug and onto the Luxray’s back instead. “Brutally honest and no secrets hidden? You’d almost think Bit taught him.”

“Regardless of this idiot, it’s still nice to meet you Mr. Nurem,” Elesa smiled. “He pulled the same thing when he introduced me to Diantha. He likes to think he’s funny or something.”

“Just Vincent, please,” the psychic said as he held out his hand. “I’m...becoming uncomfortable with using my last name unless I have to intimidate someone. Which thankfully isn’t often, but you’d know.”

“I imagine that there’s a story there, but we’ll save it for later hmm?” Elesa stopped as a beautiful Thestral mare landed on the stage and trotted over to Seth.

“Seth? The Contestants have arrived. Should they be allowed in?”

“Yeah, that’s no problem Midnight. Thanks for all this by the way. I know it really isn’t in your job description.”

“No problem boss,” Song winked. “Though... if you really wanna thank me...” She slid up next to him and flashed him a come-hither stare.

“Midnight. The door if you will?” Seth deadpanned.

“Aw, fine,” she smirked as her gaze fell on Vincent. “Ohh, now who’s this handsome creature?”

Vincent ‘ported off of Seth’s back...and somehow picked up his top hat in the transit. “Vincent, Kadabra, which means I’m psychic,” he clarified while tipping his hat at the mare. “Which is probably the reason you can understand me so readily. And yourself, ma’am?”

“Lieutenant Midnight Song,” the mare smiled, her fangs glinting in the light. “I currently work for Seth here as the link between his group and the Princesses. Ponies wouldn’t trust an ‘All Pokemon’ group. I solved that problem.”

“Well, if Seth trusts you, so do I,” Vincent replied as he held out a hand to the mare for her to shake. “Would you be terribly offended if I asked just what you are? The only one I’ve seen like you is Blackstone back at Las Pegasus, and Ace and I...don’t exactly get on.”

“Blackstone~ Now there’s a flank you could bounce a bit off of,” Midnight purred. “Well, my species is called Thestral. Batpony is also acceptable, but I only allow close friends the honour of that title.” She took his hand with a hoof and smiled. “I wonder... would you like to be a close friend~”

“We’ll see,” Vincent replied. “I don’t trust easily, but once you do have my trust, come hell or high water or you stabbing me in the back, I stand by you. Why don’t we open the doors to the competitors and talk on the way?” He motioned to the doors with one hand at the end of his question.

But before they left, Seth cleared his throat. “Midnight?”

“Yes boss?” she giggled, still holding Vincent’s hand.

“He’s taken. By someone that gets quite jealous and can easily break bones.”

Midnight blinked as she looked at the Kadabra and sighed as she let go of his hands. “Luna dammit!”

“Did I...miss something?” Vincent asked aloud.

“Not a thing,” Seth chuckled. “Don’t worry Vincent. Just play nice and the little bat won’t gobble you up.”

“Aw, but I’d love to do that~” Midnight giggled as she gave Vincent a half-lidded stare.

“Not exactly scared of her,” Vincent replied. “And why don’t we talk and at least be friendly with one another, Miss Song? Xerneas knows I could use more friends outside the family.”

“Aw, fine,” Midnight frowned, but she still smiled. “Can’t say no to such a handsome face. And such a glorious mustache. Now let’s go let these guys in. This is gonna be one hell of a show!”

Seth let out a small sigh as he watched them go. Poor Vincent, Seth was throwing him to a wolf, and the mustachioed Pokemon had no defense for someone like her.

Oh well, at least it’d be interesting~


“So?” Midnight asked as she trotted alongside Vincent as they headed for the front of the hall. “You and the Boss are friends huh?”

“One of the few that I didn’t have to punch to get, or punch things with to earn his friendship,” Vincent agreed with a nod. “I have him to thank slash blame for my current relationship.”

“Yeah, he like to meddle,” she said. “I haven’t known him for very long. But getting assigned to his division has been an interesting experience... except he’s totally clueless.” She sighed a little when she remembered the first day they’d met, and the day Apple Fritter threatened to punt her across Canterlot.

The scary part was is that she could probably follow up with that threat.

“It did seem like Rika did more of the...pushing and cheering for me and Lucy,” Vincent observed as he sat himself down on a nearby bench, stroking his mustache as he replayed past events in his mind.

“And she was open for it,” Midnight sighed. “Oh well...” She opened the door to reveal hundreds of ponies and pokemon. “Sweet Celestia! That’s quite the crowd.”

“No kidding,” replied a stallion, a Guard in plain clothes. “We’re having a little trouble here. We weren’t expecting this many.”

Midnight smiled as she looked back at the stage. “I can’t wait to see the look on his face! Okay boys, let ‘em in!”

“In one mass?” Vincent asked with an arched eyebrow as he got up and stood next to Midnight. “I have a better idea. Will Seth’s collar work for things besides Seth, do you know?”

“Uh, as long as they’re wearing it, I guess so?” Midnight tilted her head. She had planned to let the crowd in as a steady stream of two-by-two. But Vincent’s plan sounded fun. “Watcha got in mind foxboy?”

“This,” Vincent said, and a pulse of blue saw Vincent’s neck adorned with the familiar collar. It was comically large around his neck, the shoulder pads of his armour were the only things keeping it up. The Kadabra took a small breath and tapped the mark on the collar, before he let it loose in a very loud one. “ORDER!” he demanded of the crowd. And he...almost got it.

“I’ll have pastrami on rye with mustard and swiss!” some joker pitched in, causing a wave of laughter through the crowd. Vincent chuckled and tapped the mark again, before giving the show over to Midnight.

“That’s one way I suppose,” Midnight chuckled. She nodded to the guards and Pokemon running crowd control, as the mob was led inside in an orderly manner. The contestants were already being let in through the rear entrance, and having dressing rooms assigned to them. One door was kept clear, as a golden chariot pulled up and three Alicorns stepped out of it. The crowd murmured, some having rarely or never seen the Princesses before. Luna looked a little taken back by the large crowd, while Celestia wore her usual, ever-regal smile. Twilight just smiled and gave a small, awkward wave. Vincent, realizing that he had technically taken something from one of their agents, made the collar vanish as quickly as it had appeared.

“And now the guests-of-honour have arrived, we can get this party started,” Midnight smiled.

As Celestia passed Vincent, she smiled at him. “That was quick thinking there, though I believe that accessory was a little big for you~”

Vincent whistled innocently for all of a second before shaking his head. “Doubt I’d wear one much myself anyways. Just needed to get them all to calm down before the floodgates opened. It was the tool to hand, so I used it.”

“It seems friend Seth enjoys showing off his little toy,” Luna chuckled. Even Twilight smiled slightly. She offered Midnight a smile as well, as she led the Princesses to their private box.

“See you later foxboy~” she winked, blowing him a kiss. Unfortunately for Vincent, it was at this moment that Lucy walked up and looked between her mate and this latest development.

“Vincent, did I miss something between the hotel and now?” the Lucario asked aloud, with a bit of steel to her voice.

The psychic gulped as he tried to come up with a good answer.


Yep. It was official.

Seth Crescent was freaking the fuck out.

This was waaaaay more people than he was counting on. Between the suddenness of the announcement and his own reputation, he was sure that he’d get a few dozen, tops.

Selena and Rika were getting some last minute practise and Ignis was off helping with crowd control. The Luxray panted heavily as Midnight rounded the corner with a wide smile.

“Heya Boss, I seated the Royal Sexy Sisters and... whoa! You okay?”

“No...not really...” Seth replied in-between breaths. The batpony darted off, quickly returning with a bag that the feline breathed into. After a moment of that and the Thestral rubbing his back, the Luxray was looking much calmer.

“Dammit... that sucks,” he gasped. Midnight nodded as he crumpled up the bag and frowned. “I can’t pass out today.”

“And you won’t,” Midnight nodded. “I got your back Boss! We all do.”

“Thanks,” Seth smiled. She was right... as usual. “I think I’m almost ready.”

“You’re the one to get it done,” Midnight hummed. “I’ll go and get your girls. You get out there and wow that crowd.”

Seth nodded as Elesa started up a simple tune, that was his cue. The spotlight fell on the stage as Seth took a deep breath and steeled his resolve.

“I so hope I don’t screw this up.”

The crowd murmured with conversation, waiting for the event to start. The stage held a DJ’s setup with an Ampharos behind it, wearing large rabbit-ear headphones and a huge plushy coat. She pressed a few buttons and spun the disc, starting up a song as the spotlights shone on the stage in front of her.

A large Luxray stepped onto the stage, his coat shimmered like the night sky and his eyes glistened as he looked out over the crowd. He tapped the mic on his head and smiled.

“Welcome everyone!” he said in a clear voice, though those that knew him could tell he was nervous as hell. “My name is Seth Crescent. And I welcome to the very first Canterlot Contest Spectacular!”

Most of the Pokemon in the crowd cheered, but the equine side still looked unimpressed or confused.

“Some of you may be wondering what a Pokemon Contest is,” Seth continued. “It’s a long-running tradition from our world. A display of Pokemon and partner, in a way that is truly unique. You will be dazzled by their beauty, stunned by how cool they can be, and impressed by their smarts. It is my hope that by the end of this, you will all have witnessed a show like none you have ever seen!”

The spotlight dimmed slightly and took on a cerulean hue. “I will give a demonstration of what is in store for you today. Two of my very own precious partners will give their all for you. I hope you enjoy.” Seth stepped back as Selena and Rika took the stage next to him, bowing to the crowd. There were a few cheers and whistles, from the ones that knew what was coming.

“Now my performances are a little different from the norm,” Seth said. “I pray that none of you will be disappointed.”

*~*~*

The music changed, as Rika and Selena took a breath. Seth’s voice took a lower tone, as he begun to narrate.

“Deep in the mist, two fairies battled endlessly, the fairy of light, and the fairy of darkness.”

Rika’s Misty Terrain covered the stage, obscuring the fact that Selena was also using Blizzard. When the two Pokemon entered everyone’s line of sight, they slid along the ground, the mist hiding the ice and gave the appearance that the Pokemon were gliding.

“For countless days, and countless nights, the two fought for reasons long forgotten.”

Selena and Rika would pass by one another, Rika’s ribbons shone with pink light, only to be batted away by Selena’s darkness-imbued blade. The sparks danced like fireflies with each hit.

“The fairy of light would plead for an end to the fighting, with the fairy of darkness refused. The dark could not live in the light. The light could not shine without the dark.”

The two Pokemon made one more pass, before Selena struck the ground and jagged blades of ice and darkness broke the mist, creating a desolate-looking space. Rika was hidden behind the icy wall, as Selena made a few twirls, her dance was angry and fierce.

“The fairy of light disagreed, and with the last of her power, shone a beautiful light down upon the fairy of darkness.”

A Moonblast shattered the wall, as the pink mist engulfed the stage again. A haunting cry rang throughout the hall, as Selena’s Perish Song resonated.

“To my adversary, my opposite and my friend. It matters not if you live in the darkness. It matters not about the light. When we are together, we are complete!”

From the swirling sphere of mist that engulfed Selena, a brilliant light erupted, and Mega Absol emerged. Her body shone with a pink light from her Play Rough attack, as Rika twirled her ribbons like dancing snakes, Selena gliding around them.

“And together they danced. Not as ageless enemies, but as timeless friends.”

Rika fired small spheres of light into the air, as Selena bounced from each one in almost slow motion. The Pokemon hovered with an ethereal light, the sound of her Play Rough striking the orbs of fairy light sounded like a clear crystal bell.

“And together they dance until this very day!”

Selena landed next to Rika as the orbs shattered, raining down like countless falling stars, lighting up the mist and casting the whole hall with a pure glow. The effects soon vanished, as all three Pokemon stood on the stage, the hall was in a dead silence as the three took a bow.

*~*~*

“Y-you think they liked it?” Selena whispered breathlessly.

“Dunno,” Seth replied in a hushed tone as he looked up, trying to gauge the reactions of the silent crowd. Maybe they hadn’t. Had they tried too hard, were the effects a little too strong? Rika’s eyes wavered, she really wanted this to go well, as had Selena.

It started slow, but soon the sound the three of them heard coming from the crowd was easily identified as hooves stomping in unison. It took a moment more for the Pokemon to catch on that this was the way Ponies did applause, but once they did, it quite quickly turned from the sound of a stampede to a standing ovation as the ‘mon pitched in their efforts as well.

The smiles from Selena and Rika outshone any spotlight, and Seth placed a paw to his chest and took another bow. His heart raced again, this time, from overwhelming happiness.

One the the spotlights turned to highlight the Royal Box, as Dextra hovered next to Celestia with a microphone.

“That was quite the opening act,” she spoke in a voice that barely held back her enthusiasm. “If this Contest has repeated performances like that, then you are quite right Seth. This will be a show for the ages.”

The crowd exploded with cheers and applause once more, as Rika and Selena left the stage. Seth took a deep breath and smiled.

“Thank you for those kind words Your Highness. And thank you everyone, for your generous applause.” He motioned towards the DJ booth, “The one in charge of the music today, is our very own Electric Elesaaaa!”

She took a bow as more cheers came, and Seth motioned to a table on the left side of the stage. “We also have three Judges, who would normally give a score today, but this Contest is just for show. Everyone is a winner today, but our Judges will still provide their insight.” He motioned for them to stand so he could introduce them.

“First is the pony in the know, the mare with eyes for ‘Ze Magicks!’ I give you, Photo Finish!!”

“Sank you,” she said, taking a small bow. “I hope to see many wunderbar performances today!”

“Next,” Seth continued, “Is the Fairy Queen herself, and actress of the highest caliber and a trainer of unparalleled strength. Lady Diantha!”

“Thank you very much,” she said, as several of her fans fainted. “I hope everyone has fun today, doing what they love with their precious partners.”

“And last but not least, from the hospital right here in Canterlot. Please give welcome to Nurse Joy!”

The Audino bowed and waved her paws happily. “It has been a while since I judged a Contest. Please bear with me~”

Seth cleared his throat and prepared his last statement. “I’d also like to thank every pony and Pokemon that has helped this day become a reality. I could never have done it on my own and you all have my heartfelt thanks!”

Seth gave the crowd a chance to cheer once more, before moving on. “Now, I’m sure you’ve had quite enough of me for now. So let’s get this show underway. First to the stage we have Lisia and her Pokemon, Ali and Jasmine.” An Altaria and a Flygon took to the stage at that, along with their trainer.


As the contestants took to the stage, Seth ducked out of sight, sitting backstage and taking deep breaths.

“Ohhh man, that was nerve wracking. I’ve haven't spoken to a crowd like that in a long time...” He was suddenly tackled to the ground by Selena and Rika, both hugging their trainer tightly.

“Ohhhhmigosh! Did you see their faces!” Selena said excitedly. “That. Was. AMAZING!”

“Wow, I think I’m the calm one here... that’s freaky,” Rika giggled. “But yeah, that was soooo much fun Sethy! Our routine was amazing, you were amazing!”

“So, It was amazing I take it?” Seth questioned, earning him a playful slap from the two of them. “Seriously though, you girls were great.”

“Aw, we love you too Sethy,” Rika cooed, as the two Pokemon nuzzled him. And suddenly, there was a familiar voice.

“Well if you’re so smitten with your trainer, Miss Doom, I’m gonna go tease Ignis,” a nearby cheeky landshark spoke up.

“He’s mine! Get your own!” Selena replied in a happy tone. Nothing could ruin this moment now, not even that pervy landshark.

“I really couldn’t handle a third,” Seth sighed as his Pokemon got off of him. Though he was enjoying the hugs. “Where is Ignis anyhow?”

“Door duty,” Selena replied. “He offered to give the Guard a hand, but I really hope he got to see that performance.”

“Oh, I saw it alright!” Selena didn’t even have time to yelp as she was scooped up and kissed deeply by the orange dragon. “You are too beautiful my dear dark fairy~”

“....” Selena said nothing, though her red face spoke volumes about what she felt.

Rika giggled, before she was tackled by a certain green-maned mare, who peppered her with small kisses and hugs.

“Aw, now I feel left out,” Seth sighed overdramatically. He looked at Christine and grinned. “Hug?”

“I’d rather not risk my favorite hat turning on me,” Christine deadpanned while looking at Rika.

“Aww,” Seth pouted as he sat down, before being assaulted by his girlfriends anyway. Midnight rounded the corner to see the massive hugfest and pouted.

“Aw, backstage orgy and I wasn’t invited? That’s not fair...”

“It’d be a sucky orgy with the way the males are hogged by some females,” Christine pointed out. “Seth would end up with Fritter and Rika, Selena and Ignis I might be able to worm my way into, but you’d be a fifth wheel wherever you went...whoever you are.”

“Midnight Song. Partner for Seth Crescent and sexiest batpony in Canterlot.” She held out a hoof and smiled seductively. “As for a fifth wheel, well I guess I get to turn everyone on then~”

“Goddammit Midnight,” Seth muttered. “Alright, as awesome as hugging is, we still have a show to run.” The applause from outside signalled that the first act finished and the next needed introduction. “No rest for the wicked I suppose.” He walked back onstage, leaving Fritter and Rika to sigh.

“Well, our jobs are done for now,” Ignis said, still carrying Selena. “Wanna grab a bite to eat?”

“I’m starving!” Selena agreed. “Wanna join us Chrissie?”

“Depends,” the landshark deliberated while tapping her chin with one claw. “Will there be cake?”

Selena blinked, as did Fritter.

“When... did you start likin’ sweets?” the Earth Pony asked.

“When I opened her eyes to the light,” Rika answered as she jumped up onto the dragon’s head. “And I think we can arrange cake. I could really go for some cake... and pie, oh, and some Fritter as well~”

“Not sure your girl...mare? Marefriend would appreciate you putting her on the menu,” Christine snickered after working out the proper local terminology.

“Aw, but I like eating her~” Rika giggled as Fritter turned beet red.

“She’s saying that, cause she might eat me fer real,” Fritter replied. “Can we go and get something that doesn’t involve me please?”

“I wonder what pony actually tastes like?” Ignis wondered aloud.

“Don’t let the Princesses hear you wondering that so loudly,” Christine said with a wide smile. Fritter just groaned, but according to old Griffon books, ponies tasted a little like beef.

“Let’s... let’s just get some food,” she blanched. “Ah made some stuff this mornin’. It’s in Seth’s dressin’ room.”

“Fritter Feast!” Rika cheered and held her ribbons around Christine like a pair of reins. “Hi-ho Chrissie! Away!!”

“...” Christine gave the top of her head the best deadpan look before looking at Selena. “She is aware she’s just lucky I like her, right? Otherwise this landshark would probably take offense to that.”

“If it wasn’t for the fact that she’d give me a lethal dose of diabetes, I’d have eaten her a long time ago,” Selena deadpanned back... right before she stifled a giggle. “Though I could say the same for you...”

It seems that the leftover fairy energy in Rika’s ribbons had triggered Colour Change, turning Christine the loveliest shade of pink.

“...Joy,” Christine said with so much snark ‘mon were liable to slip in it. “I’m not sure which was worse. The makeover or this.”

Rika looked down and grinned sheepishly. She got an idea, and gently nibbled on on the protrusions on the dragon’s head with a weak Bite attack. It had the desired effect, triggering the Ability and turning her an edgy black.

“Oooh, I have a new toy~” she giggled.

“Hey, I kinda like this…” Christine said, admiring her new color, before her stomach growled louder than she usually did. “Guess we should get food, huh?”

The group finally decided to stop screwing around as they left to obtain eats. A little while after they left, Seth came off of the stage and looked around.

“...Where’d everyone go?”

PreviousChapters Next