• Published 16th May 2014
  • 12,298 Views, 1,530 Comments

A Brave New World - Ausbrony



A side story to A New World, A New Way. Pokemon Trainer, Seth Crescent finds himself in a new world, and a new body when a plan enacted by Arceus takes effect.

  • ...
50
 1,530
 12,298

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven.

“And the winner is...” Pinkie looked between the Latias and Rainbow Dash, both were obviously expecting her to say their name.

Pinkie began to sweat, her legs wobbled, and as she fell to the ground, she shouted the winner. “I DON’T KNOW!!!!”

“....What!?” Dash asked.

Pinkie sniffled. “You guys were moving too fast, I couldn’t see and... I’m sorry.”

“What!?” Selena yelled. “Well that totally sucks; my plans are totally shot to hell now.” She was suddenly very aware of three sets of eyes staring at her rather intently.

“Selena dear,” Seth said with an icy calm tone. “What do you mean by that?”

“Ah’m mighty curious about that too!” Fritter said.

“Yeah Selly,” The one Pokémon around that had a Type advantage against her. Rika curled a ribbon around the dark Pokémon. “What plans are we talking about here?”

“Heh, um, well… the losers, might have had to one thing the winners asked of them…” She gulped when the ribbon curled a little tighter around her midsection. “Within reason of course.”

Seth tried to keep up the angry face, but teasing Selena was too much fun. “Ah, we’re not mad, don’t worry about it.”

“Whew, dodged a Bullet Seed there,” Selena smiled to herself, despite losing a great chance.
“Well, there’s always next time.” What Selena was really interested though, was how Latias Mega-evolved. Selena herself used to be able to, and she missed it. “Perhaps Arceus might know how… but I can’t make it all the way out to the temple now.”

Discord later revealed that the race actually was a tie.

“Well that was interesting and all, but maybe we should get an early night?” Rika said. “We have an early train to catch tomorrow, right?”

“Eeyup, there’s one that arrives a little before dawn,” Apple Fritter explained. “It’s a cargo train from down south, past Hollow Shades. If we get that one, we can be in Canterlot just after breakfast.”

Seth nodded, "Let me guess, you plan to get back to work right away?”

Fritter nodded, “Ah’ve lost enough business already. Cousin Applejack’s given me a little t’compensate fer comin’ out here, but Ah’d rather be making my own.”

“Understandable, and commendable.” Seth smiled and nodded his head. “And I’ll be right here to help out as well.”

“Ah appreciate that,” Fritter smiled. For so long, she had been on her own, and now she had a whole bunch of friends. She really was lucky.

“Well, wanna walk around the town for a bit?” Rika suggested. “It’s still a little early for bed, and I want to see what else this place has to offer.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Seth agreed. He really wanted to go back to Sugarcube Corner and sate his sweet tooth with sugary, succulent sustenance.


*~*


Ponyville was as sleepy as ever, even with Pokémon being thrown into the mix. It had been almost a week now, and ponies and Pokémon seemed to be getting used to each other, well at least they seemed to around town. Perhaps that Pinkie Party helped out somewhat?

“Well, we’ve seen Sugarcube Corner, twice!” Rika shot a glance at Seth, who was still busy licking cake crumbs from the corner of his mouth. “What else is there to do around here?”

“Well, y’all have the library, run by a bonafide Princess!” Fritter explained. “There’s also the Spa, a fashion boutique if that’s interesting to y’all… um, a bowling alley…” Apple Fritter suddenly realised that she didn’t know the town quite as well as she thought.

“Well, I suppose I wouldn’t mind seeing the library,” Selena replied. “From what Seth told me, Equestrian script and human script are the same, and I can read human words.”

“Well now ain’t that somethin’!” Fritter whistled. Even Rika was always impressed by Selena’s knowledge of humans, knowing their language had given her knowledge that a lot of Pokémon didn’t have. They decided that the library was the best place to visit and headed for the giant tree near the centre of town.

Seth couldn’t wait to see the inside of this place, he loved the fact that tree was used to house books… it was treeception.

Apple Fritter walked up to the door and knocked, earning a look of confusion from Rika.

“Uh, isn’t this a public library?” she questioned. “Why are you knocking?”

“Ah’m jus’ being polite,” Fritter responded. “An’ besides, the librarian here is not only a Princess, but she also lives here.”

“So the Princesses in Canterlot get a humongous castle and the Princess of Ponyville gets a treehouse?” Rika snorted at the nonsense of it all. “Talk about getting gypped.”

“Ah suppose,” Fritter said as the door swung open, revealing a Beheeyem and scaring the crap out of the Earth Pony.

“Ah! I’m sorry to scare you,” The Beheeyem said. “Can I help you all with something?”

“Yes, we were just curious about this place.” Seth stepped forward and smiled, “My name is Seth Crescent.” He gave the Beheeyem an odd look, why the heck was it wearing a little lab coat?

“That, sounds like a human name?” The Beheeyem said, and a voice called out from within the building.

“Professor, who is it?”

“Some visitors,” she called back. “Shall I let them in?”

“Of course!” The ‘Professor’ hovered to one side, allowing Seth and the others into the library. Seth almost immediately gasped in surprise.

“Wow, this place is amazing. I’d love to have a home like this!”

“I’m glad to hear somepony say that,” Seth turned to see the pony behind the voice, a cute purple alicorn. “Welcome to Golden Oaks Library, my name is Twilight Sparkle.”

Seth looked at her for a moment, she looked familiar… oh! “You were at the party last night!” Seth said. “I believe you were talking with Lord Arceus.”

“That’s right, I’m keeping both my eyes on him,” Twilight replied dryly. “But that aside, who might you be? A Pokémon or perhaps a former human?”

“Human, My name is Seth Crescent, Your Highness.” Seth bowed politely, only to have Twilight blush slightly and wave a hoof.

“Oh, please. Just call me Twilight… I’ve never cared for the title and I don’t honestly know if I’ll ever get used to it.”

Seth nodded, “Well, as I said, my name is Seth.” He motioned towards his Pokémon. “This is Rika, a Sylveon and Selena, an Absol and Elesa, also a former human, now a Flaaffy.”

Twilight smiled and nodded, right before levitating a book over to her. “Absol, Sylveon and Flaffy. Got it!” She tapped the page with her quill, “Do you mind if I ask you some questions? I’d like to know as much as I can about Pokémon.”

Seth nodded, “That’s fine, and should I go first?”

“Yes, for starters, what kind of Pokémon are you?” the Professor left the room to fetch everyone some tea as they sat on cushions on the floor.

“Well, I’m a Luxray, an Electric-type Pokémon.” He waited as Twilight wrote that down and then she furrowed her brow.

“Electric-type? You can use electricity, like lightning?”

Seth nodded, “Yeah, but I can’t control it just yet. It sort of comes and goes.” He closed his eyes and scrunched up his face, and after a second or two, several bolts of electricity arced across his fur.

“Amazing!” Twilight whispered. “What else can you do?”

“Nothing really.” Seth looked a bit disappointed at his ineptitude. “I’ve found that Luxray’s have sensitive hearing, and I’m supposed to be able to see in the dark and even through walls.”

“Incredible!” Twilight said, writing all of that down. “And how about you Miss Selena?”

“I’m what you call a Dark-type.” Selena flexed her claws and grinned. “My primary role on Seth’s team was battle, so I’m quite strong if I do say so myself.” She really needed to get back to training too, she may not have battles like she used to, but that was no reason to slack off. "Due to my ability, I can strike at an opponent’s weak points more easily and I can also predict natural disasters.”

“It’s a longstanding myth that Absol’s caused natural disasters, rather than predict them.” The professor floated back into the room, carrying a tea tray. “And a lot of people unfortunately still believe that.”

Selena frowned, that was a particularly sore subject for her, considering what Seth had to save her from. “Yeah, let’s drop that subject shall we?”

“Oh? Um, I’m sorry.” Twilight bowed her head.

“Ah, don’t worry about that!” Rika beamed, patting Selena on the head. “She’s just a grumpy pants! Oh yeah, I’m Rika and the most adorable one on Seth’s team!”

“Sylveon right?” Twilight thought for a moment, “that sounds a lot like Vaporeon, and you seem to share a similar body structure.”

“That’s a good eye Twilight,” the professor remarked. “Sylveon is the evolved form of Eevee, as is Vaporeon.”

“Really, so the same Pokémon can have multiple forms?” Twilight started getting excited again.

“Some can, Eevee is rather unique and has an unstable genetic makeup that allows it to adapt to almost any environment. They have a total of eight documented evolutions, though it’s possible that they might be capable of more.”

“Okay, who are you?” Seth asked. “You know a heck of a lot about Pokémon and Princess Twilight called you Professor.”

“I haven’t introduced myself yet? Sorry, my name is Professor Aurea Juniper, perhaps you might have heard of me?”

Upon hearing that, Elesa leapt across the room and glomped the startled Psychic-type. “OHMYGOD!! JUNIE!!”

“I, ah… what?” Then she remembered what Seth had said earlier. “What! You’re Elesa? As in, Nimbasa City Gym Leader Elesa?”

The little sheep Pokémon nodded, happy that she finally found another one of her human friends. “Yeah, I’m so happy that you’re here…” And then she smirked, “and that you’re a creepy little Beheeyem.”

“Yeah, because this is what I totally wanted to be!” Juniper pouted, “I mean seriously, who picked our forms?” She looked over at Seth, “And you seem familiar too, have we met before?”

Seth nodded, “Of course we have, we spoke about… a month or so ago. You were helping me arrange a meeting with Lady Cynthia!”

Juniper’s eyes widened. “You’re that Seth!? Oh my gosh, I thought your name sounded familiar.”

“You two know each other?” Twilight asked. “What was that about a meeting?”

“Well, it’s a long story.” Seth sighed and shifted his position as Elesa resumed her spot on the floor. “There was something I wished to accomplish back on Earth, and both Elesa and Professor Aurea here were helping me.”

“And what were you trying to accomplish?” Twilight asked, taking a sip of her tea. It caused Apple Fritter and the rest to suddenly get an uncomfortable look on their face. “Um, did I touch a sore subject?”

Seth sighed and shook his head; perhaps talking about it would be good? “No, well it was, argh! Okay, do over!” He rubbed the fur on his head and it crackled with static electricity. “Back on Earth, there was a massive problem regarding human/Pokémon relationships.”

“Yes, my friends Gene and Belle have explained that to me,” Twilight interjected, earning a look of surprise from Seth.

“You know Gene and Belle?”

Twilight smiled and nodded. “Yes, they’re staying here with my friend Rarity actually.”

“Oh, awesome!” Seth smiled; he’d love to meet them again before he left. “Well it was because of them that I started what I did, a crusade to abolish the laws forbidding the coupling of a Pokémon and a human.”

“You were really doing that!?” Twilight exclaimed. “I’m surprised that this is the first I’ve heard of it. I wonder why Gene and Belle never mentioned it.”

“Because they didn’t know,” Seth answered. “I’ve actually spoken with them for the first time only yesterday, when I came to have a few words with Lord Arceus.” The look on Twilight’s face spoke volumes, “Yeah, I’ll tell you about that too.”

“Anyway, though the story of Gene and Belle were a big inspiration, they weren’t the only ones. A good friend of mine named Jayce had a thing with his Meowstic, Nao. Cute lil thing, but a bit sassy. I wonder if they made it here too. I really hope they did, they deserve to be happy.”

“Getting off topic again,” Seth smiled sheepishly. “I was on this mission for years and I believed I was making a little headway. My best bet was to convince the Pokémon Champions, the most powerful and influential trainers on the planet. I was all lined up to meet with Miss Cynthia, one such Champion, when we were whisked away to Equestria.”

Twilight eagerly wrote away, but paused when he did. She already predicted what he was going to say next. “And when you came here, where no such law exists…”

“Yeah,” Seth became a lot quieter. “I was pretty angry, so much work and just like that, it didn’t matter anymore. I was furious and was willing to tear Lord Arceus himself a new one. But when I got here and spoke with him, along with Gene and Belle…”

“Yesterday?” Twilight tried to remember what happened. “There was a span of about 15 minutes or so when I couldn’t find them anywhere.”

“Yeah, cause Arceus just upped and teleported them.” Seth grinned as he recalled the surprised looks on their faces. “But then I realised that I’d gotten what I wanted, they were happy and no longer fugitives from the law. In the end, I set aside my anger and now I just want all the best for them.”

Twilight nodded and closed her book. “Well, I think that’s very noble of you… but you shouldn’t set aside your feelings like that. You spent a lot of time and hard work right?”

“Yeah, but like I said, everyone is happy now. That’s what’s important.” Twilight was going to argue the point more, but decided to drop it.

“Well, alright then.” She re-opened her book and looked at Rika, “I believe we were talking about you? What Type are you Miss Rika?”

“Just call me Rika, and I’m a Fairy-type!”

“Fairy?” She didn’t look like a fairy. “We have Fairies here, Breezies too. You don’t look like them.”

“Well Elle’s an Electric type and you wouldn’t think so. I’ve always thought Flaaffy’s looked like a Normal-type. So to answer, Book, Cover, don’t judge.”

“Fair enough,” Twilight giggled. “And Elesa, you’re also an Electric-type?”

“Yeah, and I’m the only former human that seems to have a pre-evolved form… lucky me.” A confused look from the princess told Elesa she should elaborate. “What I mean is that Flaffy can still evolve, into a Pokémon called Ampharos. I just hope human Pokémon can still evolve.”

“Ooh, I wish I could see a Pokémon evolve!” Twilight had been curious ever since she heard that Pokémon could undergo a process that should normally take tens of thousands of years, and do it instantaneously.

“We’ll discuss that at a later date,” Aurea said. “Have you found anyone else we know Elle?”

Elesa shook her head, “No, I really want to find Skyla… I hope that she’s here.” Elesa and Skyla were best friends and the thought that she might not be in Equestria hurt.

“Well, we’ve come across quite a few Gym Leaders so far, so the chances are good.” Twilight gave her a warm smile. As she looked across Seth’s group, she noticed Apple Fritter, who had been quiet ever since they got here.

“You’re Apple Fritter right? One of Applejacks’ cousins?”

Fritter jumped when the Princess addressed her. “Yes Your Highness.” She had put her Canterlot accent back on, Seth noted. Was she nervous about meeting Twilight?

“As I said, just call me Twilight,” the little alicorn said. “What brings you here today? Are you friends with Seth?”

“Yes, I found him when he was starving in Canterlot.” She still remembered that day and smiled. “He and his friends have been staying with me ever since. They’re my friends.”

“Well, that’s good to hear.” Twilight wondered why she didn’t have the Apple Family accent, though she knew some didn’t, Fritter sounded like she’d lived in Canterlot her whole life.

There was awkward silence before Twilight thought of a topic. “Did you happen to see the race? Or at least know who won?”

Seth nodded, a bit confused why the conversation just died. “Yeah, we watched the whole thing. It turned out to be a tie.”

“A tie?” Twilight was surprised, “Well nuts, now I owe Pinkie 20 Bits. But to tie with Rainbow Dash, Latias sure must be fast.”

“I’m more surprised that she Mega-evolved!” Selena huffed. “How did she even do that? You need a human with Keystone to go Mega.”

“Mega evolution?” Twilight pouted over missing a chance to see Mega Evolution. There was so much to learn, just on one aspect of Pokémon. Evolution, battles, types, contests… So. Much. To learn!!

“To put it briefly, it’s something rather unique to the Kalos region, though I heard reports from Hoenn as well.” Aurea sorted through her thoughts, “It’s when a Pokémon that thought wasn’t capable of evolution, evolves. It’s immensely powerful, but after a short amount of time, they revert back. And only certain Pokémon can do it. Miss Selena here is just one species that is capable.”

“I used to, but since moving here, Seth and I lost our Mega stones, our precious bond…” That was what really bugged her about it. Not that she couldn’t evolve but because Seth’s Keystone and her Absolite were a symbol of their bond. And now they were gone.

“I could speak to Arceus about it?” Twilight offered. “Perhaps he could create some for you?” She’d seen him do grander things than create some stones out of thin air.

“I would appreciate that Twilight, thank you.” Seth bowed his head again.

As Seth looked around the library, he suddenly noticed that they weren’t the only Pokémon there. A Plusle, Minun, Medicham and Hitmontop were sitting in one of the corners. The two fighting types looked deep in thought, while the little electric types had worried expressions on their faces.

“Um, are we interrupting anything here?” Seth asked Twilight, motioning towards them.

“Oh, well… it’s just that a few things have come to light and I guess those guys have a little thinking to do. We were giving them a moment before Juniper talks with them.”

“I see,” Looks like trouble and confusion was the flavour of the week.

“I should get started actually,” if the Rangers overheard the conversation, though the lack of reaction told the Professor that they didn’t. She could imagine that Seth was on the ranger’s short list of people that needed arresting.

“Well, we should probably get going anyway; we have an early day tomorrow.” Seth stood up and smiled at Twilight. “It was a pleasure meeting you Twilight.”

“And you, come back anytime.” Twilight returned the smile as she showed them to the door. “I’d love to talk more with you.”

Seth nodded, “Please give my regards to Gene and Belle too, I really hope their wedding goes off without a hitch this time!” The Hitmontop shot a glance in his direction, before returning back to Juniper.

“Of course, I’ll pass the message along,” Twilight said and the group left, heading for Sweet Apple Acres.


*~*


When they eventually returned, Seth and Elesa were almost immediately accosted the moment they stepped foot on the farm. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo had pounced them, dragging the two hapless trainers towards their treehouse. Selena, Rika and Fritter just smiled and waved.

For some reason, the tiny trio had spent hours asking them all about what it was like being a Pokémon Trainer. Elesa and Korrina regaled them tale of being a Gym Leader while Seth told them about travelling, Pokémon Contests and of course, Pokémon battles.

It was almost dusk by the time they were finished and even then, it was due to supper being ready, rather than the fillies running out of questions.

“Where do they get that energy?” Seth groaned as they headed back to the farm house. “I wasn’t that hyper as a kid.”

“You were probably a boring child, sitting inside and reading books all day,” Elesa laughed and when Seth didn’t reply, she gasped. “What, you did?”

“Well excuse me for being concerned about my education.” Seth retorted. “I didn’t know how much school I would miss after becoming a trainer, so I studied as hard as I could to pass anything once I came back.”

“You were from Kanto originally, right?” Elesa asked, getting a confirming nod from Seth. “So you got a year off school to become a Trainer?”

“Eehh, not quite.” Seth said. “I… kinda left school before that.”

“You never finished school!?” Korrina said, shocked by that.

“I didn’t say that!” Seth snapped back. “I just said I left, I never said I didn’t finish.”

Elesa tilted her head, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

They climbed the stairs into the house and walked towards the kitchen. “What I mean…” Seth explained. “Is that I finished school, when I was only eleven.”

“WHAT!?” the combined cry of Elesa and Korrina caught everyone by surprise when they walked in. “Y-you finished a school education by age eleven?”

Seth nodded; he didn’t often tell people that he did that, mostly because people often misinterpreted that as that he abandoned his studies. It fact he sped through advanced classes and finished a high school education when he was only eleven years old. That way, he could spend as long as he wanted on his Pokémon journey and not have to worry about playing catch-up on school work.

“That’s… wow, that’s impressive!” Elesa said. “How come you never told me?”

“Because it wasn’t that big a deal,” Seth said, sitting down at the table.

“Well, it’s still really cool.” She said, stuffing her face with corn. “I had to juggle school, training and a modelling career… gods it was hard.”

“That’s even more impressive,” Seth pointed out. “The whole reason I sped through school was so I wouldn’t have to multitask like that.”

“Understandable,” Korrina said. “Unlike us girls, guys cannot multitask to save their life.”

“Eeyup!” Applejack laughed from the other end of the table.

After dinner was done, the Cutie Mark Crusaders had bolted up to Apple Bloom’s room to discuss their next steps. Rika and Selena retired to the barn to get some sleep, while Seth and Apple Fritter sat in the kitchen drinking coffee.

“You have a very interesting family,” Seth said, sipping his drink. “I like them.”

“Thank you,” Fritter smiled back. “What about you? Do have any family?”

There was a silent pause as Seth put the cup down. “In a way, I suppose I do.” He craned his neck to look in the direction of the barn. “The only family I have is in that barn. Rika, Selena… they’re like sisters to me, Ignis and Heath are my brothers.” He looked back to the Earth Pony mare, who had a sad look on her face. “Hey now, don’t look so sad, I never said I was unhappy. My Pokémon have made me very happy and now here in Equestria, I have even more friends.”

He finished the rest of his drink and sighed happily, coffee was pure bliss. “I never knew my parents actually; I’ve been living in an orphanage ever since I could remember. It’s probably why I became so immersed in my studies. I would often think that becoming a powerful Pokémon trainer would lead me to the answers that I wanted.”

His brow furrowed as he stare at the table. “But on that day, everything changed.”

“What changed?” Fritter asked. “Did something happen?”

Seth shook his head to clear his mind. “Don’t worry about it, it’s in the past and that’s where it’ll stay.” He stood up and stretched his cramped muscles. “Let’s get some sleep okay?”

Apple Fritter nodded, “He’s only known me a few days and now I’m grilling him about his past… some friend I am.” She watched Seth leave and was about to head off to bed herself, only to be stopped by Applejack. “Oh, uh… hey cousin.”

“Hey yerself,” Applejack said, fetching herself a glass of water. “I bet that little chat coulda gone better.”

“You, overheard that?” Apple Fritter lost what little perkiness she had, but maintained a false smile. “I shouldn’t have done that, it must be hard to be taken away from yer life, and I jus’ went an’ reminded him of it!” Apple Fritter was furious with herself.

“Hey now, it ain’t yer fault.” Applejack pulled her into a hug. “There ain’t nuthin wrong with wantin’ to get to know yer friends a little better.” Applejack recalled the time when Twilight had asked about her parents and the farm pony had taken it the wrong way… it was not a pretty conversation and in the end, the two friends hadn’t spoken to each other for days.

“So am I just supposed to pretend that the conversation never happened?” Fritter asked. “Cause that doesn’t sound right either!”

“Look, jus’ calm down and stop bein’ so dramatic… ah get enough o’ that from Rarity.” Applejack smiled and petted her on the head. “The way ah see it, Seth cares about his friends a whole bunch, an’ that includes you. Just give him time okay?”

“Alright, thanks Applejack.” Apple Fritter smiled, a genuine one this time. “G’night.”

“Night Fritter,” Applejack said and watched her had for the barn. “I hope you get what you want.” she whispered.


*~*


It was still dark when Apple Fritter and the six Pokémon that accompanied her waited at the train station. Despite saying otherwise, Applejack and Big Macintosh had gone with them to see them off. Korrina, Lucario and a sleeping Apple Bloom were also there.

“Y’all come back soon, ya hear!” Applejack grinned.

“Eeyup!” Mac gave his usual response.

“It was nice meeting you guys!” Korrina said. “And it was good to meet another fellow Gym Leader.”

And it was great meeting you guys too!” Seth said, before Rika yawned loudly.

“What?” She huffed, “It’s too early to be awake!”

“You can sleep on the train,” Selena sighed. “But yeah, it was nice meeting all of you as well.”

A sharp whistled pierced the night air as the train pulled up. Seth groaned as he saw that it bore the same girlish design as the Friendship Express. It only had a single passenger car, along with several boxcars.

“Urgh, I bet it has a stupid name like Hopes and Dreams Cargo or something?” He muttered as Apple Fritter gasped.

“How did you know that?” She said, surprised. Seth just slowly turned her head.

“Are you kidding me?” He just groaned when she burst out laughing.

“Hah, I totally got you!” She laughed, leaning on the Pokémon. “There is no way that we’d call a train something so ridiculous.”

“And yet you have the Friendship Express,” Seth replied.

Rika and Selena just looked at the two of them. “What in the heck is going on here?” Rika whispered to her friend. “When did they get so close?”

“Beats me!” Selena whispered back. “But I’m not complaining, this could be fun~”

After a final round of goodbyes, they boarded train and were on their way to Canterlot.

Hopefully life would slow down a bit….

PreviousChapters Next