• Published 16th May 2014
  • 12,284 Views, 1,530 Comments

A Brave New World - Ausbrony



A side story to A New World, A New Way. Pokemon Trainer, Seth Crescent finds himself in a new world, and a new body when a plan enacted by Arceus takes effect.

  • ...
50
 1,530
 12,284

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Thirty Three

Seth panted heavily as his group made their way closer to Ponyville. While the Antidote that Fritter had used on him had taken effect, he still felt incredibly drained and short of breath. The Earth Pony mare holding him up looked at him with concern.

“Are y’sure y’all should be doing this?” she asked. “You could get hurt in the condition y’all are in.”

“It’s... better... that doing... nothing,” Seth replied. They were getting closer, but Seth couldn’t hear the sounds of fighting... until the earth rumbled and a vicious Sandstorm picked up in the distance.

“Whut in the hay is that!?” Applejack exclaimed. “Is... is that a sandstorm?”

“Looks like one,” Fritter nodded. Having grown up in Appleloosa, she’d seen her fair share. “But... why is one happenin’ in Ponyville.”

“There’s... a move... called Sandstorm,” Seth responded, even injured, his desire to teach still kicked in. “S’prolly that.”

“As well as anything that have Sand Stream,” Selena replied. “Doesn’t Gene have a Flygon? I think I saw one at the wedding.”

“I believe so,” Seth paused for a moment to catch his breath. As he did, a powerful gust of wind washed over them as Ignis landed nearby, Apple Bloom clinging to his neck.

“Bloomy!” Applejack rushed, checking the filly for any injuries, but was pushed away.

“Ah’m fine!” Apple Bloom frowned as Applejack continued to fret over her. “Ah can take care o’mahself!”

“She’s right,” Ignis nodded.

“Ah know,” Applejack replied as she stepped away from her sister. “Ah jus’ worry y’know. Yer the only sister ah got...”

Koga decided to speak up as he looked at the Charizard. “And what of Ariados?”

Everyone fell silent as Ignis glared at the ninja frog. He stepped forward and without warning, threw a Power-Up Punch right into the ninja’s face. Koga stumbled as Seth glared at his Pokemon.

“Ignis!”

“Sorry,” the dragon said half-heartedly. “But maybe his precious partners wouldn’t have even been hurt if he wasn’t such a damned fool!”

Seth went to argue the point, but Koga stood up and raised a hand.

“It’s fine, perhaps I even deserved that... but please, what of Ariados?”

Ignis nodded and looked at him. “He should be fine. Between the Potions and Rika’s healing, he’s through the worst of it. But his recovery will probably take a long time.”

Koga breathed a sigh of relief and slumped to the ground. “Thank you...”

Everyone was silent again, until the ground shook again and an explosion erupted from the sandstorm.

“That... does not bode well,” Seth muttered. He looked at Ignis and decided on something. “Ignis, I want you to head back to Sweet Apple Acres.”

“What!?” the Charizard yelled. “No way, you can barely stand! You need my-”

“Ignis Crescent, the last battle you fought, you destroyed a significant area of forest. And it still would be had Arceus not interfered.”

“But-” Ignis tried to argue, but when Seth used his full name, it always usually meant he was mad.

“No buts!” Seth replied harshly. “You will return and protect the farm with Christine.”

The Charizard looked down at the Luxray. Gone was the unfamiliar Pokemon, his eyes burning with the same determination that his Trainer once had. The same Trainer that had led him to so many victories.

“Fine,” Ignis replied quietly. “Just... stay safe alright?”

“Yeah, you too brother,” Seth nodded and the Charizard flew off, taking Apple Bloom with him at AJ’s request. Once he’d left, Apple Fritter sighed as she looked to her Luxray.

“Don’t y’all think you were a little hard on ‘im?”

“Maybe, but he still had a lot of injuries. He could barely even fly straight and we have no idea what we're up against,” Seth replied. He was a little concerned about Ignis’s new lack of concern for collateral damage, but he was more concerned for his life. Seth shook his head of the tirade of thoughts that swam in it and looked to his group.

“Come on, we need to hurry!”


By the time Seth arrived in the heart of Ponyville, it was... surprisingly quiet. No rampaging Pokemon, no screaming ponies and a platoon of Solar Guard.

“Why are the Guard here?” Seth wondered aloud as they approached Twilight’s library. It was the most likely place they would find Gene. Apple Fritter raised a hoof and rapped on the door lightly. Hopefully somepony would be here...

After a moment, the door opened and Seth was quite surprised to see Princess Celestia there.

“P-Princess... Celestia?” Seth blinked. “What are you doing here?”

The Alicorn chuckled as she let the small group in, “Well a fine hello to you as well Seth.” The Luxray winced and nodded.

“Sorry, just wasn’t expecting you to be here.” Apple Fritter led him to a spot on the floor where he all but collapsed. “Whew.. that’s better.”

The Princess took note of Seth’s condition, “What happened?” she asked worriedly. “Did someone from the Professor’s group attack you?”

“Ah, so you already know about that?” Seth smiled. “Save’s time, but yeah... ran into a guy named Koga. Former member of the Kanto Elite Four and Poison-type specialist...” The Luxray paused to take a few breaths.

“Poison...? You’re poisoned!?” Celestia begun to cast an all-purpose antidote spell, but Seth waved a paw.

“Don’t worry, flushed it out already, just feeling a little fatigued. Never been on the receiving end of Poison moves before... not fun. Not fun at all...”

Celestia cancelled her spell and cast a rejuvenation spell instead, restoring Seth’s lost energy and healing his fatigue. “How’s that?” she asked.

“So much better,” Seth sighed contently as he stretched his limbs. “Thank you Celestia.” The Alicon nodded and returned his smile. The Luxray still decided that the floor was the best place to be right now. “So, what’s going on right now? Aside from a distant Sandstorm, it seems a little too quiet in town.”

“Honestly, I don’t know as much as I would like to,” Celestia sighed. “Twilight left with one of Gene’s Pokemon to warn the couple being targeted, and Abby and Kasai left only a short while before you arrived. I believe they’re on the main road right now.”

“Not a good plan,” Seth muttered. “Everyone’s split up and that makes them easy to pick off. Did Rika make it here already?”

“Yes, she and Spike went to protect the baby Pokemon that Fluttershy is caring for,” Celestia answered him as she poured over the papers she had.

“Good girl,” Seth smiled. Celestia smiled as well as she cast her gaze over the others that had come with the Luxray. She recognised his Absol, Selena. Apple Fritter and Applejack and some blue frog creature, presumably another Pokemon.

“Who’s your friend there?” the Princess asked and Seth realised that he’d completely forgotten that he’d dragged him along.

“Oh, that’s Koga,” he said nonchalantly.

Celestia on the other hand, was not so calm about it. “The one that poisoned you?’ she asked, almost in disbelief. “The one that wishes to attack Gene and Belle?”

“Yeah, but don’t worry. He doesn’t have his Pokemon with him anymore, and I think he’s sworn allegiance to me,” Seth replied with a befuddled expression. “Some weird ninja-code-thing. Don’t worry, he won’t cause anymore trouble.”

“Unbelievable,” Celestia sighed and shook her head. “Your faith in others continues to astound me Seth Crescent.”

“I try,” the Luxray smiled. He looked around the library and nodded his head. “Sorry for being a layabout. Give me a few more minutes and I’ll be up and helping.” The Alicorn wanted to tell him to just stay there, that he’d done enough as is. But she also knew that the stubborn cat would never listen to an order like that.

“I heard your roar,” she smiled. “It was quite impressive.”

“That’s putting it lightly,” Koga muttered. His ears were still ringing from that. “May I ask how you did that?”

“Magic amplification,” Seth smiled. “Pretty effective. I should use it on Sensei next time~” His ear flicked as he looked around the library. It was awfully quiet in here...

“So where’s everyone else?” he asked. “Are you the only one here Princess?”

Celestia nodded as she sorted the files she was looking over. “For the time being. But I doubt it will remain so for too much longer.”

Seth nodded as he got up. “I’ll head over to where Gene is as well, do you know where he is?”

“Miss Rarity’s boutique I believe,” Celestia nodded. Seth thanked her and turned to his group.

“Selena? Can you stay here and watch Koga and the Princess for me?”

“Didnt you just say that splitting up is a bad idea?” she retorted. “The Princess said that Twilight already went to fetch him. We should just stay here.”

“I can watch Mr. Koga here, should you wish to find Twilight and Gene,” Celestia suggested. The ninja frog said nothing, aside from a very quiet cough that didn’t go unnoticed by Seth.

“Do you have a suggestion Koga?”

The ninja was surprised that Seth had heard him, but he decided to respond regardless.

“If, you would allow it,” he replied. “I would like to go and see Ariados...”

“You cannot be serious?” Selena said when she saw the look in her trainers eye. She knew him, all too well and Seth would say-

“Do you promise not to cause any more trouble?” Seth asked, causing his Absol to facepaw. Koga nodded and Seth smiled. “Well that’s fine then.”

“Are you kidding me!?” Selena yelled. “What if he attacks Gene, or Twilight? Or anyone else we know!?”

“He won’t, because he cares more about the safety of his Pokemon that some stupid grudge or misguided sense of justice,” Seth said sternly. “Besides, Ignis and Christine are only a magically-empowered shout away. So you’ll be good, won’t you Koga?”

The ninja nodded and once Seth gave him the okay, he vanished in a puff of smoke. Selena sighed, but Seth had this way of talking people around, so she figured it’d be alright.

Seth in the meantime, had curled up in a corner and closed his eyes. “And while he’s off doing his thing, Imma take a quick nap. Still feeling a little weak...”

Selena just shook her head as Applejack snorted.

“He’s jus’ like an overgrown cat, ah still wonder jus’ how y’all wound up in a relationship with ‘im Fritts.”

“It’s simple,” Apple Fritter smiled as she lay next to him. “He’s smart, caring and just amazing... what’s not to like?”


Granny Smith Apple just watched, as an impatient Charizard paced up and down near the farm house. All of Koga’s Pokemon were hiding in the barn, afraid that either he, or the crazed Gabite would incinerate them too.

“That boy’s more wound up than an ornery rattlesnake!” Granny noted to said Gabite. “Reckon y’all can talk to ‘im?”

“Meh, to, at, same thing,” Christine said as she got up and cracked her neck. She knew the old pony likely wouldn’t understand her, but she nodded once, grimly, and started walking over towards the Fire/Flying type.

“Hey, Flame-brain!” Christine yelled at the pacing Charizard.

Ignis paid no attention, still grumbling to himself and pacing around. He’d already worn a small track into the dirt and his lashing tail left small scorch marks in the grass.

Christine started to grumble a bit as well before drawing closer and speaking again. “Oi, hothead!”

Ignis growled as he turned to look at the small Gabite.

“What?” he snapped, his long tail cracking like a whip.

“Fight’s over, so unless you intend to burn down the orchard, stand down,” the landshark said.

“That’s the problem, it’s not over!” he replied. “Seth’s gone off to face whoever else might be waiting in Ponyville, and I’m stuck here warming the benches!” This was the first time Seth had really put Ignis on the backburner. He was the vanguard, the frontlines of Seth’s team. Selena would have his back and Rika was the invincible wall. They were a team and now they were all split up. He hated it.

His line of thought was interrupted by the feeling of a claw backhanding him. Christine looked at up at his face and growled slightly.

“I said. Stand. Down,” she reiterated. “The fight here’s over unless you go looking for another one, in which case I will happily oblige you. But none of the other ponies or ‘mon here have done anything to freakin’ deserve a natural disaster like you wrecking their property. So take a breath for a moment and get your head on straight, you damn hothead.”

Ignis had recoiled, not expecting the slap and rubbing his cheek. If she had been any other Pokemon, she’d be heading for the nearest Pokemon Centre by now...

He just growled again as he sat down and folded his arms. “S’not like you’d be a decent challenge anyway,” he muttered under his breath.

“Stone edge, Rock slide,” she listed off, apparently having heard him. “I could hold my own against you for a little bit, and there’s always Dig to rely on if you got serious enough that I needed a minute to think. Now that you are thinking, what’s the real problem? Because I seriously doubt missing out on a fight is the reason why you decided to do some landscaping work.” At the end of her statement, the Landshark indicated the damage Ignis had already done to the farm.

Ignis sighed, staring at the ground, rather than facing the young dragon that clearly had more sense than him right now.

“That I’m stuck here, unable to help my Trainer? That you and Seth got hurt in that pointless battle, because I wasn't strong enough? The fact this crap is even happening in the first place? Take your pick.” He snorted a small flame in annoyance.

“Okay, let’s start at the back and work our way forward,” Christine said, poking him in the chest with one of her claws. “Unless you’re Dialga or Celebi in disguise, I’m not gonna expect you to be capable of predicting or changing the future. So hey, this happening ain’t your fault at all.”

“I should have been strong enough,” Ignis muttered. “That damned duck is prolly still laughing at me...”

“Hey, I chose to fight,” Christine defended herself. “I jumped into that battle knowing full well what might happen, as did Seth. Yeah, we both got hurt. But y’know what else happened? We slowed him down. And that was the real objective. The fact that he surrendered and told us what was goin’ on? Icing on the poffin. Getting injured in a fight is gonna happen...the best you can do is train your trainer in how to avoid taking a few blows in case he sticks his damn fool head into another fight.”

Dammit, stop making sense! Ignis wanted to brood in peace and this dragon was poking holes in his logic. He decided to quit while he was behind and said nothing, just pouting and folding his arms. Christine, on the other hand, apparently wasn’t done.

“And if Seth sent you here, it was probably for a very good reason, like defending me, this place, or the ponies and ‘mon here,” she said, nodding a few times. “So really, your job is only done if you let it be, considering the size of this place and the fact that there are most likely more of them out there. Instead you choose to pout and pace because…”

“...Because I’m an idiot,” Ignis sighed. His frustration had petered out, and he was left feeling like a complete fool. He knew Seth would be fine, he had Selena with him, and Fritter was no slouch when she chose to be. He grunted and got back to his feet.

“Fine, I’m done now.” He felt her claw again, only this time it was only lightly poking his chest.

“I find ‘idiots’ are just ‘mon who don’t think first and follow their hearts when their brains say something else later,” she observed. “Your heart’s in the right place, hothead. Which is a good trait to have.”

“Y’know, I think this is the longest conversation we’ve had without you saying something lewd,” he chuckled, rubbing the top of her head with a large paw. “Still, thanks for the pep talk Chrissie. I needed that.”

“Oh well if you wanted lewd all you had to do was ask,” she said, slipping into the version of herself Ignis knew all too well. “Still, now that you’re feeling better, I’m more than willing to encourage you in other ways as well…”

“I’m sure you would,” Ignis chuckled. But he now had an advantage... he knew her weakness. He leaned in close and smiled. “And such a pretty little dragon too~ I’m really glad to have a friend like you.”

Christine blushed a little and turned away at the praise. “Quitit,” she muttered. “‘m not.”

Ignis could have pushed it further, but he just shrugged. “I never lie,” he replied. “Well, not about the things that matter anyway.”

“You’re just being nice,” the Gabite brushed off the compliment, still not meeting his eyes. “G’on, don’t you have a heart and brain to be listenin’ to?”

“I suppose a fly around the farm wouldn’t hurt,” Ignis nodded. He leaned in close and kissed the top of her head and winked. “I’ll be back soon.” And with that, he beat his powerful wings and took to the skies.

“...stupid flame-brain,” Christine mock-groused, slowly turning back to normal from the blush that had overtaken her head. “...At least he’s reasonable enough.”


After a quick power nap, Seth and his ragtag team headed for Carousel Boutique. Even now, with what appeared to be a rather dramatic confrontation on the horizon... Ponyville was still rather quiet.

“Ah don’t like it,” AJ muttered, tugging on her Stetson. “It’s too quiet... and Ponyville aint ever this quiet...”

“Especially with Pinkie Pie around~” Fritter giggled.

Seth yawned and stretched his back in a low arch. “Well, let’s deal with Hastings and bring the liveliness back to Ponyville!” Everyone gave a small cheer of agreement as they drew closer to their destination. With Applejack leading them, since the rest didn’t even know where the Boutique was, the Luxray glanced up at it once they arrived, gushing over the unique architecture.

“I hope Gene and Belle are still here, not off doing something reckless,” Seth muttered to himself as he knocked on the door.

The door opened, seemingly on its own, and revealed the two of them sitting in the front room, Gene sitting next to a rather beaten looking Flygon. Gene offered the Luxray a weary smile.

“Hey Seth,” he said softly. Seth took one look at the Flygon and nodded to Fritter. The mare moving over to the opposite side of the dragon and begun to apply a Super Potion to his more serious wounds.

“Things are never boring when you’re involved huh?” Seth replied lightly as he walked in. “I take it you heard about the town’s newest guest?” He’d have been quite surprised if he hadn’t.

Gene sighed and rubbed Draco’s head. “Jackass has had it out for me for years... seriously, it’s like I’m his white Wailord or something,” he shook his head. “But this is going to far.”

Seth nodded as he took a seat next to the couch, wincing slightly as he sat. That last battle was proving to be a literal pain in the ass. “I have to agree with you there. And it’s a pity really, the man has accomplished a great deal of good in his life...” The Luxray sighed as Applejack placed a hoof on his shoulder. “But he’s just so damned set in his ways, it’s blinding him to the truth.”

“... I didn’t want this to happen,” Gene said sadly. “I just wanted to be with Belle... why is the universe so against that?”

“Gene,” Belle put a hand on her husband's shoulder. “It’s gonna be okay, we’ve dealt with Rangers before.”

“They never tried to kill my family though,” he said coldly.

“And they won’t, I won’t let anything happen to you guys,” Seth said adamantly. Surely Hasting’s wouldn’t resort to something so drastic, but one look at the Flygon made the smallest feelings of doubt enter his mind. “I’m sure Hastings isn’t beyond the point of reason, even Koga listened eventually...”

“After he poisoned you and Chrissie nearly fried that bug ‘o his,” Apple Fritter responded as she finished treating Draco.

“That too,” Seth replied with a sigh. Thanks for that reminder love.

For a moment, Gene was silent. “I’m so tired of everyone risking themselves for me,” he said with a sigh. “Cynthia and Iris back on Earth, they could’ve been arrested. I didn’t even know HALF of what Abby and Kasai were up to, and you...” he locked eyes with Seth. “You gave up on your dreams to try and help people like me... and what was I doing? Hiding in the woods like some coward.”

“Gene, don’t say that,” Belle tried to calm him down.

“I’m so tired of feeling useless...”

Seth frowned as he got up and crossed the space between him and Gene, before placing a large paw on his chest. “You wanted nothing but happiness for Belle and yourself. It’s not a crime to want that, and I have never regretted my life choices. I don’t know Abby and Kasai all that well, but I’m positive that they’d say the same.” He removed his paw but never broke eye contact. “No matter what happens, I would never accuse you of being a coward, and neither would anyone else here. I have faith that things will work out for the best.”

Gene smiled at Seth. “Thanks, I needed a pep talk,” the Gallade stood up and smiled widely. “Cause otherwise I probably wouldn’t be able to say this but... Belle? Let’s go beat up Professor Hastings.”

Seth’s eyes widened and he applied his paw to his face. This was not the intended result. Still... “Well, I guess I’ll come help then. I do owe him a smack for a couple of things myself.” And hopefully talk the two parties out of a pointless battle.

Belle chuckled and formed a Shadow Ball in her hand. “You’ll have to get in line.” She said darkly.

“Perfect, that’s me, Belle, Seth, and... anyone else wanna come?”

Selena nodded as she moved up next to her trainer. “I guess I have to, if only to make sure my idiot trainer doesn’t get himself killed.”

“Ah reckon ah should find the others,” Applejack added. “We may not have the Elements of Harmony anymore, but me an’ mah friends can still kick flank.”

“This one still has a few injuries that need patching,” Fritter replied, motioning to Draco. “I’ll bandage him up and catch up with you guys.”

Seth nodded and gave his marefriend a brief, but passionate kiss. “Thanks Fritter.”

“Great,” Gene said, still smiling. “AJ, Rarity is upstairs, tell her we’ll be back soon with an unconscious Conkeldurr.”

“Sounds like fun,” Applejack smiled. “Just, don’t do anything rash y’hear? Ah don’t want mah friends gettin’ hurt.” She spared a glance at Seth and Fritter. “Any of mah friends.”

“We’ll try our best,” Seth smiled. It made him a little happy to hear Applejack say that. Fritter offered a wide smile as well.

“We’ll be fine,” Gene said with certainty. “Belle has a double type advantage on him, plus,” he smiled rubbed his wedding ring/Mega Stone. “I’ll have a little surprise ready for him.”

Seth spied the stone, remembering the events of the wedding. “Good thing I’m packing as well,” he smiled, touching his own Keystone. “Now, let’s go take a Professor to school!”


“Okay, I’ll admit my plan my have had a little hiccup,” Gene admitted. “But I’m still feeling optimistic about this.”

Belle pursed her lips and put a hand on his shoulder. “Gene, honey,” she said gently. “I’m really glad you’re not feeling upset anymore, and I love that you’re taking charge... but we’ve been looking for Hastings for almost forty minutes now, and we have no idea where he is... you think maybe it’s time to head back? Make sure the others don’t start to worry.”

Gene frowned. “But I don’t want to give up...”

“Running around like headless Farfetch’d won’t get us anywhere either,” Seth replied. He’d been trying to sniff out the Professor, but without a scent to go by, it could have been one of the hundreds of smells he’d already picked up. “And a thought occurs, if Hastings is gunning for you so bad, wouldn’t the better plan be to let him come to you?” They could always try laying a trap. Seth felt a little inspired by Phantom Fox now, as several elaborate and flashy traps filled his mind.

“That would involve a concrete column carrying colossus coming into Ponyville... this seemed like a better idea at the time,” Gene shrugged.

“Nice alliteration,” Seth chuckled. “But between our Pokémon, his typing alone isn’t much of a threat, plus if the rest of us are to go by, then I doubt that he’d be any good at actual combat.”

“But that makes him more dangerous,” Selena pointed out. “Especially if there are ponies around. They could get hurt by accident.” Conkeldurr were a pretty powerful Pokemon, they couldn’t risk a bystander taking a hit from one. Ponies just weren’t as durable as Pokemon.

“Suddenly sending Rika away doesn’t seem like a good idea,” Seth muttered, wishing he had the cute Fairy by his side, for more than one reason. “Wait... I have Koga back at the library. I bet he could tell us where Hastings is!”

“Um... about that,” Gene said, rubbing the back of his head nervously. “Draco said they all kinda... scattered, when he started that Sandstorm.”

“Of course they did,” Seth groused and frowned. This was turning into a serious pain. “Still, he’s bound to turn up eventually and us wasting effort like this will just tire us out. Seriously, it’s not like he’s gonna just walk around that corner.”

Gene frowned, then perked up and snapped his fingers. “Belle can find him,” he said, smiling again. “You can psychic... scan... sense him... right?”

Belle thought on that, and fought the urge to facepalm. Seth didn’t bother and applied his paw to his face. “That would’ve saved so much time.” she sighed and clasped her hands together. Belle closed her eyes and expanded her psychic reach over to clearing, then further, searching until she pinpointed him. “Got him.” She said with a smile.


Once Belle had his location, the group quickly headed for a section in a nearby forest. Seth’s nose quickly picked up a scent that didn’t seem to fit in with the rest of the surroundings. The smell of concrete...

They soon heard someone muttering irritably. And a Conkeldurr quickly fell into view.

“Stupid Arceus,” he muttered. “Interfering with humanity... how big headed must one be to label themselves a god?” He shook his head and sighed. “I just need to focus on finding the boy right now.”

“Looking for me?” Gene called out, causing the Pokemon to turn towards the source of the voice.

“Gene Phillips,” he said as he narrowed his eyes, his voice filled with contempt. “What an unpleasant surprise.”

Gene frowned at the Conkeldurr. “That’s not my name Hastings,” Gene took a few steps forward, still glaring at Hastings. “And we need to talk.”

“I don’t suppose you’ve seen the error of your ways, and have decided to turn yourself in for your disgusting crim-OW!” Hastings rubbed his right eye, having just been hit with a rock.

“No.” Gene said firmly, floating a few stones in a circle above his hand. “You’re not going to insult me, or my friends, and unless you want me to take out your other eye, don’t you DARE insult my relationship with my wife.”

Hastings scoffed as he pulled his hand away from his face. “Relationship my-OW!” Hastings rubbed his forehead.

“I warned you,” Gene said with a smirk. Pity, he had aimed for his other eye...



Professor Hastings took another step towards Gene, and suddenly found himself struggling to stay upright as his cane was yanked away from him.

“Please refrain from insulting my husband,” Belle said, stepping out from behind a tree. “Or I’ll be forced to do something much worse than this.”

Incredibly, Hastings glare actually softened when he saw Belle. “So,” the Professor said softly, turning his gaze back to Gene. “You brought your Gardevoir to protect you?” He smirked.

Belle chuckled. “No, I just tagged along,” she said with a smile. “He knows he’d be lost without me.” Belle shoved Hastings’ cane back at him and walked over to Gene, planting a kiss on his cheek as she stopped next to him.

“I can take care of myself,” Gene mumbled.

“I’m still waiting for proof of that,” Belle said jokingly.

Gene frowned while Belle laughed, and Hastings appeared to be getting visibly sicker.

Seeing this, Belle frowned. “You know, I’ve never understood people like you,” she admitted. “You act like you treat Pokémon as equals, and yet, in every way it counts, you don’t. You don’t think I can feel love on the same level you do, so you say that people like Gene, people like Abby, corrupted and brainwashed me, when in truth,” her eyes glowed blue and Hastings felt a something pressing down on his skull. “It’d be MUCH easier for me to do it to you.”

Hastings shuddered as the feeling began to increase. “Belle,” Gene said, worry in his voice. “That’s enough.”

Selena looked at her trainer, as they remained out of sight for the moment. “Shouldn’t we step in?” she asked, “Before this gets out of hand?” That Gardevoir looked ready to kill.

“Not yet,” Seth whispered back. “I want to see if he’ll stand down. Gene isn’t an unreasonable person and won’t attack unless provoked. I just hope that Albert is just as reasonable.”

Almost reluctantly, Belle withdrew her powers. “I want you to understand one thing Hastings. I. Love. Gene. That is it. He didn’t brainwash me, he’s never ONCE hurt me, and the truth of the matter is that you’ve done more damage to me emotionally than he ever has.” The Gardevoir took a deep breath and leaned against her husband, happy that for once she had managed to shut up a-

“Do you?” Hastings said. “Do you really love him?” A smug grin appeared on his face. “Or is it only because of what you are that you feel connected to him?”

“Nope, I love him,” Belle said, wrapping Gene’s arms around her. “He’s the light of my life.”

Gene smiled at Belle, then looked back at Hastings. “What are you even getting at? You’ve never tried to blame the Pokémon in a relationship before.”

“And I’m not,” Hastings assured them. “I’m saying this is why Pokémon need to be protected from people like you. She obviously doesn’t know any better.”

Seth frowned, was this what her really thought? Did he think Pokemon were so stupid and animalistic?

Belle gritted her teeth. It seemed that she wasn’t too happy about that answer either.

Hastings didn’t seem to care. “You see, Gardevoir’s are especially open to emotions, even more so when they spend a large amount of time around a single person.”

Oh he did not just say that.

“And thus, they bond with their trainers rather easily,” Hastings looked at Gene as if he were something revolting. “Even when they shouldn’t.”

‘Quit while you behind Albert...’

“So it’s obvious that well Belle sensed the... unnatural attraction you had towards her, she latched onto it, grew up with it, and eventually, it grew into... this.” He gestured towards Gene, who was holding Belle tightly in his arms. Belle was shaking. “But I promise, Belle, if you come with me, if you leave him behind, I can find a way to help you,” he smiled at her. “I can make you well again.”

Belle’s shaking stopped and she opened her eyes. Seth backed away a little, he could almost feel the rage pouring from her.

Hastings had stopped, while the Gardevoir hovered over him. Seth couldn’t hear the psychic breating that the Embrace Pokemon was giving the old man, but he imagined it was a small slice of hell judging by the look on his face.

It was ironic really, that for all his talk about protecting Pokemon, he seemed to understand so very little about them.

Belle turned away from him and released him from her power. “... Abby and Seth are wrong about you, you’re not a good man, you’re just... nothing.”

“Seth?” Selena said with an increasingly worried tone. “Now might be a good time!” Her words had fallen on empty space, the Luxray already bolting for the pair.

Hastings gritted his teeth. “Why you...” he grabbed his cane and swung it around, but was interrupted by a large black paw, stopping the cane from striking the hysterical Gardevoir.

“Belle, you need to calm down,” Seth said gently, not even sparing a glance at Hastings for the moment. “While you have made some valid points, you need to stop before you takes things too far and do something you’ll regret.” The Luxray took a breath as he looked down at the Conkeldurr and his gaze hardened. “And you, striking at a Pokémon out of anger. Is that what the head of the former Ranger Union has become? If you keep this up, I will be forced to place you under arrest!”

Hastings blinked once, then frowned. “And who the heck are you then?” He asked, standing himself up and leaning heavily on his cane.

Oh! This was going to be interesting. The Luxray stared back at him, and a small smile crossed his muzzle. “Me? I am Captain Seth Alexi Crescent, of the Crescent Division of the Royal Canterlot Guard.” Oh goddamn that felt good to say!

Hastings blinked once, then shook his head. “Of course, the misled Poképhiles rights activist,” he rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Why wouldn’t you show up now, with the way things are going, I should’ve expected this... and did they really make you an officer?”

“Stopped an insane unicorn that was mind-controlling Pokémon, almost foiled a Phantom Fox heist, built better relations between Pokémon and Ponies in Canterlot... but, who’s counting right?” The Luxray chose to ignore Hasting’s little jab, it wasn’t as though he hadn’t heard it all before. “But seriously... don’t you think enough is enough? What will this accomplish? What do you get out of breaking up two Pokémon that love one another?”

The Professor huffed. “This isn’t about species anymore, it’s about upholding our laws, I will not allow criminals to go unpunished simply because some big-headed Pokémon decided to mess up humanity!”

“Oh just accept that Arceus is a God,” Belle said with a sigh. “Or is your sense of human superiority so high you can’t accept that a Pokémon created the universe?”

Seth sighed as he looked at the former Professor. “It doesn’t matter what you think of Arceus, end result is that he did what he did, we’re here now. Our laws no longer apply, and if you really want to get technical...” Seth cleared his throat and stared at him. “Since the individuals known as Gene Phillips and Belle Phillips were married in Equestria, they are recognised as Equestrian citizens. They are bound by Equestria laws and thus your argument is invalid. Should you wish to apply your laws, then they would have to be returned to the place of the crime... Earth.” He smiled at that last part. “So yeah, best of luck with that~”

C’mon, just stand down already...

Hastings tightened his grip on his cane. “I’ve devoted my life to helping Pokémon,” he said through gritted teeth. “To stopping people like him, it’s how I was raised, and now... now I’m just suppose to stop?”

“You’ve done a lot of good Albert,” Seth said, not once raising his tone. “You invented the Capture Styler, a device that harmlessly calms an enraged Pokémon. You created the Ranger’s, that have saved countless lives of both Pokémon and humans. But think, I mean stop and really think. Why are you doing this? Are you doing what you think is best for them? Or what you think is best for you? Does anyone really have the right to make a decision like that?”

“I.... heh, this is suppose to be simple,” Hastings said, shaking his head. “The Union was supposed to arrest you, rehabilitate your Pokémon... that was suppose to be it,” his eyes fell on Gene. “You weren’t suppose to avoid us for so long, you certainly weren’t suppose to get the Champions on your side... and that wedding,” he scoffed. “I had Regional law agencies and the International Police on my case for weeks after that, and somehow, you even turned some of my top Rangers against me.”

“Actually, Abby and Kasai were together before we met them,” Gene corrected him. “And we didn’t know they were Rangers until we got here, so you can’t blame me for that.”

He glared at Gene for a second before continuing. “I ended up working on your case personally, first case I’ve worked in decades. I tried to piece everything together, find something, anything that proved you’d abused your team... but as reports and interviews came in... I. Got. Nothing.” He stamped the ground with his cane angrily. “Oh sweet Arceus, that was that Gene? But... he seemed so nice,” he said in a mocking voice. “I’m sorry sir, but the Gardevoir just seemed so... normal.” He growled and stamped the ground again. “NOTHING!”

Gene tapped his chin contemplatively. “Hmm... did you ever consider that might be because I DIDN’T abuse my team... my family?”

“Four,” Belle said with a smirk. “And it would’ve been longer, but someone was too dense to realize I liked him.”

“I thought you were just being clingy and protective,” Gene defended.

“STOP IT!” Hastings shouted, slamming the ground again. “You may have fooled everyone else, with your cute little act, with that sweet facade you put up, but you won’t fool me, I’ve seen what you people are capable of, I know how you work. It’s why I’ve devoted so much time into stopping sicko’s like you... no Pokémon should ever have to suffer like that... like she did.”

“She?” Gene asked in confusion.

Seth mirrored his confused look. This was news to him as well.

Hastings gritted his teeth. “My partner... my dear little Mienshao,” he looked away for a second and wiped his eyes before turning back to Gene. “But that doesn’t matter now,” he said with a smile. “I’m calling it, if I can take you out, if I can bring you to justice... then I can finally retire.” The Conkeldurr laughed and glared at Gene. “So... will you turn yourself in?”

Gene glared back at Hastings and his arm blades extended. “I’m NOT leaving my wife.”

Hastings sighed, as if he’d been expecting something like that. “Very well.” The Conkeldurr shifted his cane from one hand to the other, as if testing its weight before swinging it at Gene and Belle.

It bounced off of Belle’s force field, much to Hastings surprise, and Gene stepped forward. “You know, Abby asked me not to hurt you... well, I think it was more aimed at Belle, but now I’m thinking,” his eyes flashed blue. “That she should've been more worried about me.”

Belle stepped forward and stood next to her husband. “Because let me tell you something Professor, I will not be separated from Belle. In case you didn’t hear her before, I’m going to be a father soon... and I will not let you keep me from my children,” Gene smiled and rubbed his wedding ring... his Key Stone. “So let me show you something Hastings,” he grabbed Belle’s hand. “Let me prove to you just how strong our bond really is.”

He grabbed Belle and pulled her into his arms. “Belle, my love,” he said gently, leaning in close before whispering in her ear. “It’s time to Mega Evolve.” He closed the last few inches between his lips and hers and kissed her deeply as a sphere of energy so bright that everyone else in the area had to look away enveloped the couple.

When the light show finally faded, the sight left Hastings staring, and while Seth smirked at the dumbfounded look on his face, he really wished it hadn’t come to this. And he also had the feeling that he’d been completely forgotten about...

“Get ready,” Gene, now in his Mega form alongside Belle in her own, said. “Cause here we come!”

PreviousChapters Next