• Published 16th May 2014
  • 1,119 Views, 151 Comments

Dear Cuz' - theNDinspector



Babs Seed writes to her cousin about her life in Manehattan and the advancement of the Cutie Mark Crusaders there. Will things turn out as well at she hopes?

  • ...
1
 151
 1,119

Stare Down

Dear Babs,

Really, I haven’t told you about the cockatrice? Well, I guess I better do that now because it’s an awesome story!

It all started way back when Sweetie Belle, Scoot’s and I first started the Cutie Mark Crusaders. We were planning on a sleepover at Sweetie Belle’s sister’s place, but Rarity got some work to do at the last minute. I think it had something to do with some fabric that Sweetie Belle used to make our crusader capes and Rarity freaked out. I don’t know why she would though. They were a lot better than Sweetie Belle’s costumes for our talent show.

So our sleepover was nearly cancelled, but then Fluttershy offered to take us in for the night. At first it was neat, but Fluttershy didn’t want to do some cool, awesome things, but rather play "the quiet game" or sing lullabies. That last one wasn’t too bad, even after Sweetie Belle decided to join in. So we were all in bed, but we just weren’t ready to sleep. It was then that we noticed that one of Fluttershy’s chickens had walked away from the coup despite her having put them all to their nests earlier. So we decided to go after it.

That chicken went pretty far, all the way into the Everfree Forest. We were all trying to call for the chicken…now that I think about it, that was when I basically called Scootaloo a chicken since she couldn’t…anyways, we were looking all over for the chicken. Then Fluttershy catches up to us and is panicking about something called a cockatrice. She said it had the head of a chicken and the body of a snake. At the time, it sounded more silly than it did scary. So we went on, ignoring Fluttershy’s worries.

Then we saw a chicken head and thought it was the lost chicken. It wasn’t. It was actually the cockatrice and it was pretty creepy. It not only had the head of a chicken and a snake-like body, but it also had wings. It actually reminded me more of a dragon than anything. A dragon with a chicken head and chicken feet. Then it screeched like nothing else I’ve ever heard. Fluttershy told us to not look in its eyes or we’d turn to stone. She then told us to run, so we did, and tripped over the stone body of Twilight, back before she was a princess. She apparently got caught by the cockatrice. This was too much and we all started screaming.

Then the cockatrice caught up with us and Fluttershy ordered us to get behind her, which we did. Then she did something I will never forget. She looked into the cockatrices eyes and started scolding it. I heard Granny Smith and Applejack talk like that a few times, and I’m sure my mum would’ve if she were still around.

Right before our eyes, we could see Fluttershy turn into stone, but she continued to stare at it. Then came "The Stare." I’m not sure was it is, but Fluttershy can make animals to do what she wants as she stares at them. It’s pretty intense and I wish I could describe it better, but I honestly can’t. Then suddenly the cockatrice’s will broke, and so did the stone on Fluttershy’s hind legs. Then it turned Twilight and Flutershy’s chicken back to normal and simply left. It looked ashamed of everything. I was shocked. So after that, we listened to Fluttershy. Some ponies in town think of her as a push-over, and most of the time she probably is, but if you poke at her nest in a certain way then she will pounce hard.

So that’s the story of the cockatrice. Sorry that I didn’t tell you about it earlier, but I hope you enjoyed it all the same. As always, I hope to hear from you soon.

Your cousin,

Apple Bloom