• Published 3rd Apr 2014
  • 3,913 Views, 138 Comments

The Purloined Pony - Chris



When a young foal goes missing, it's up to Carrot Top to step in and save the day.

  • ...
4
 138
 3,913

PreviousChapters Next
Page 22

Looking down at Danneltuft, you say, “Alright, I’ll tell you how I know your name. But you have to promise to stay and hear me out. I really do need your help.”

Danneltuft thinks about that for a moment, then nods his head vigorously. “Tell me who’s been spilling my name, and I’ll hear your story. I don’t promise that I’ll assist you, though.”

You know what you’re about to say could mean that Fluttershy will never see her brownie helper again, but Applebloom’s safety takes priority. Steeling yourself, you tell him, “Fluttershy told me that if I needed help, I should go into the cottage and say ‘Danneltuft’ three times.” You quickly add, “But she didn’t tell me that you were a brownie! She just told me to say the name. Honestly, that’s all!”

Danneltuft’s face glows bright red, and he glowers as he says, “The lady of the house knew full well what she was doing, then. I promised I’d give you my ear, but speak quickly. I’ve little patience in me now.”

Quickly, you explain about Applejack’s missing sister, and tell him how Twilight believes it to be the work of boggies. “I wasn’t altogether convinced boggies were even real, but if you’re here...” you finish.

Danneltuft nods. “Oh yes, the boggies are as real as you or I. Not every brownie is content with his station. Some grow so jealous and spiteful that darkness eats away their very heart. I am grieved to hear that my ill-tempered kin have caused such mischief.”

“I don’t know anything about brownies. Or boggies. I’m in way over my head,” you confess, “And I don’t know where else to turn. Please Danneltuft, if there’s anything you can do for Applebloom, please help her.”

Danneltuft scratches his chin, and looks you over from head to hoof. “There may be some things which Danneltuft can do, but the real question is, what are you willing to do, eh? If you wish, I will call a Bhrùnaidh-mòd. It is a great convocation of brownies from all over the region. If they judge your tale worthy, they will come to your aid.”

You nearly jump for joy at the news. “Oh Danneltuft, that would be wonderful! I’m sure—”

But,” he continues, “If they think you false, or doubt your ability to hold your silence concerning all you see, they will not permit you to spread your tale. This I warn you, seek not the Bhrùnaidh-mòd if you doubt your fidelity.” Suddenly the Bhrùnaidh-mòd seems much more ominous. Seeing the look of fright on your face, he adds in a more kindly tone, “There are other things I may do as well. If you wish to bargain with the boggies, I can bring you to their cave unharmed, under kin’s right of free passage. Perhaps you can convince them to release your friend.

“Or, if you fear to go with only Danneltuft at your side, I could simply tell you where the boggies are making their lair. Then you and your friends could go and deal with them all together.” He bows his head. “By way of apology for my kin, I will aid you as you see fit. You need only ask.”

*****

1. If you ask Danneltuft to call a Bhrùnaidh-mòd, go to page 36

2. If you ask him to bring you to the boggies, go to page 54

3. If you ask him to tell you where the boggies are camped, go to page 25

PreviousChapters Next