• Published 3rd Apr 2014
  • 3,907 Views, 138 Comments

The Purloined Pony - Chris



When a young foal goes missing, it's up to Carrot Top to step in and save the day.

  • ...
4
 138
 3,907

PreviousChapters Next
Page 73

You slowly lie down. “Alright, I’ll come along quietly.”

At once, the boggies surround you. The one who spoke before tells you, “My name’s Hinterheart. Don’t bother trying to resist, these spears are tipped with poison. One jab, and you’ll be asleep in seconds.”

Stepping up next to your ear, he whispers, “Now here’s the deal. Our current leader is an old, useless git, but he’s clever. If you can help me take his place, I’ll let you take your foal back. Sound good?”

“How can I do that?”

“We’re going to bring you before him. When we do, you tell him you’re invoking right of parley. Tell him you speak for the ponies of your town, and have come peacefully to negotiate for the foal.”

“And then he’ll let me talk?”

“Well, since you aren’t kin, he doesn’t have to. But don’t worry, he’s too greedy to let a chance to wring your city dry pass by. Then you’ll need to find some way to outsmart him.”

“How do I do that?”

“That’s your problem. But if you can make him look like a fool in front of all the boggies, then I’ll be able to challenge him for the position of Ceanntighern. Without the support of his lackeys, he won’t have a chance. Then I can help you out. You scratch my back I scratch yours, you get me?”

You nod, and Hinterheart smiles. “Good. Now we’d better get going, before someone gets suspicious.” Motioning for you to stand up, he leads you down the tunnel, your boggie escort crowded at your sides.

You walk forward and down for what you estimate to be several hundred feet before coming to a fairly large chamber. The chamber is at least twenty feet on a side, with a roof about eight feet high at the center. In the middle of the room is a large fire, which illuminates the entire area.

Tied up in a corner, you see Applebloom. You want to run to her and tell her that everything will be okay, but you have no doubt the guards would stop you. You merely raise a hoof to her and say in a soothing voice, “Hey Applebloom. It’s me, Carrot Top! I’ve got to take care of some business right now, but then if things go well you and I can go home together. But for now, I need you to be a big girl and stay calm, alright?” Applebloom is gagged, but manages a weak nod.

Then you turn your attention to the figure sitting next to the fire. There is no doubt in your mind that this is the boggie’s chief; his crown (disheveled and dirty), scepter (a rusty length of pipe) and throne (a ratty chair painted garish purple) all attest to that fact. You suppose that his gross corpulence might also be a sign of his station. As your escort leads you to the fire, you say, “Greetings, sir. I’m here to bargain on behalf of Ponyville for the freedom of Applebloom. I wish to invoke the right of parley.”

The Ceanntighern looks at you suspiciously, but then waves his hand. “Very well,” he says, “I will bargain with you. But if you can’t make me an offer I like, you and the foal will both be coming back to our mountain home in chains.”

*****

Go to page 74

PreviousChapters Next