• Published 3rd Apr 2014
  • 3,907 Views, 138 Comments

The Purloined Pony - Chris



When a young foal goes missing, it's up to Carrot Top to step in and save the day.

  • ...
4
 138
 3,907

PreviousChapters Next
Page 64

You wake up the next morning to the sound of somepony knocking on your door. “Carrot Top? Carrot Top, are you home?” comes the unmistakable voice of Twilight.

“Hold your hideous mouse-horse hybrids, I’m coming,” you mumble as you slump out of bed and walk to the door. Outside your house you see not only Twilight, but Applejack and Applebloom as well.

“Applebloom, you’re all right!” you cry as you wrap the little pony up in an ursa hug. Applebloom squirms and makes gagging noises, and you quickly set her back down. As she gasps for breath, you smile apologetically and say, “Sorry, I guess I was just a little excited to see that you’re okay.” Turning to Applejack, you ask, “So, where did you find her?”

Applejack shuffles her hooves and says, “Well actually, that’s why we’re here. She was right in her bed this morning, and says she doesn’t remember what happened. We thought maybe you’d brought her in.”

“Me? No, yesterday I was...” You struggle for a moment; what were you doing yesterday? “Well, Twilight came and told me about the problem, and then I went out into the forest to start looking... and I guess after it got dark I came home?” That doesn’t seem quite right, but as you think it over, you begin to remember bits and pieces of last night. Running through the forest, staying out until sundown... yes, that must be what happened.

Applejack shrugs and turns to Applebloom. “Well, come on little sister. Let’s head into town and let everypony else know that you ain’t missing nomore.” As the two of them trot off, Applejack calls over her shoulder, “Thanks a ton for helping with the search, Carrot Top!”

Twilight stays where she is, looking at you with concern. “Okay, it’s just you and me now. You can tell me about them.”

“Who?” you ask, uncertain what Twilight’s talking about.

“You know,” Twilight looks around, assuring herself that the two of you are alone. “Our little friends. Remember?”

You struggle to think what she might be talking about for a moment, then recall that yesterday she was babbling on about boggies and brownies. “Oh, you mean the fairytale stuff? Twilight, I don’t know how to tell you this, those things aren’t real.”

“But, yesterday you—”

“Yesterday you told me all your crazy ideas about kidnapping and boggies, and what came of it? Applebloom turned up safe and sound in her bed this morning! She probably just got lost while playing in the woods and doesn’t remember coming home.” You look at Twilight critically. “Honestly, I’m a little surprised at you. You’re the smartest pony I’ve ever met, Twilight. Don’t you know tall tale when you hear one?”

“But I... but yesterday you... but...” Twilight takes a deep breath, regaining her composure. “You know what? I’m going to go back to the library. I need to do some more... studying. Yes, studying.” She beats a hasty retreat from your door.

You shake your head as the purple unicorn gallops off. How can she be so smart, and still have so many silly ideas? Still, the whole conversation reminds you to check the back step. Just as you thought, you forgot to leave a bowl of milk out yesterday.

As you start to load up your wagon for today’s market visit, you make a mental note to put one out tonight. It wouldn’t do to forget two nights in a row, after all.

Just in case.

The End

PreviousChapters Next