• Published 3rd Apr 2014
  • 3,911 Views, 138 Comments

The Purloined Pony - Chris



When a young foal goes missing, it's up to Carrot Top to step in and save the day.

  • ...
4
 138
 3,911

PreviousChapters Next
Page 54

You consider Danneltuft’s proposal for a minute. “Well,” you say at length, “If you can bring me to the boggie camp, maybe I can figure out some way to help Applebloom. You said you can take me there safely?”

Danneltuft nods. “Aye, I can bring you before them under kin’s rights; so long as you do nothing to offend them, they will not lay a finger upon you. However, it will be up to you to find a way to rescue the foal.”

“Well, that’s good enough for me! Let’s go have a talk with the boggies.”

The two of you set off at once. Danneltuft takes you straight into the Everfree Forest before turning north, towards your and Applejack’s farms. Although he’s only a few inches tall, the brownie seems to have no trouble passing through the thick underbrush that fills these woods. In fact, you find yourself struggling to keep up.

Soon, the two of you come to a sandstone ridge. There are three cave openings in the ridge, each large enough to admit you. Danneltuft puts his fingers in his mouth and whistles sharply.

At once, a band of boggies swarm out of the leftmost cave. They and Danneltuft begin yelling and gesticulating in a harsh-sounding, guttural language. After a minute, Danneltuft turns to you. “The boggies will take you to their Ceanntighern. It will be up to you to find a way to free Applebloom.”

You look at him in panic. “Wait, you aren’t coming with me?”

The brownie shakes his head. “Alas, the kin’s rights which our common laws grant they will extend to only one of us. Do not be afraid, they will respect your sanctity and bring no harm to you if you act in a straightforward and polite manner. Refuse nothing offered, and speak with candor but respect.” Danneltuft bows to you. “And now, I must be off. The rest is up to you.”

The brownie vanishes back into the woods as the swarm of boggies lead you into the leftmost cave. You walk in and down for what you estimate to be several hundred feet before coming to a fairly large chamber. The chamber is at least twenty feet on a side, with a roof about eight feet high at the center. In the middle of the room is a large fire, which illuminates the entire area.

Tied up in a corner, you see Applebloom. You want to run to her and tell her that everything will be okay, but you remember Danneltuft’s warnings. You merely raise a hoof to her and say in a soothing voice, “Hey Applebloom. It’s me, Carrot Top! I’ve got to take care of some business right now, but then if things go well you and I can go home together. But right now, I need you to be a big girl and stay calm, alright?” Applebloom is gagged, but manages a weak nod.

Then you turn your attention to the figure sitting next to the fire. There is no doubt in your mind that this is the boggie’s chief; his crown (disheveled and dirty), scepter (a rusty length of pipe) and throne (a ratty chair painted garish purple) all attest to that fact. You suppose that his gross corpulence might also be a sign of his station. He claps his hands as you step towards the fire, favoring him with the slightest bow you can manage without being disrespectful.

“Welcome, strange pony!” he cries in a reedy, nasal voice. “My guards tell me that you come under kin’s rights to bargain with us!” He leans forward in his chair, resting his elbows on his enormous belly. “I think we have quite a lot to talk about.”

*****

Go to page 88

PreviousChapters Next