• Published 29th Mar 2012
  • 1,571 Views, 22 Comments

Final Lesson - Strife



Twilight's last letter to Celestia during a ravaging war.

  • ...
4
 22
 1,571

[Author's Notes]

Greetings reader.

If you have not yet read the letter, please do, as this contains some spoilers. If you have read it, I cannot thank you enough.

This idea came to me quite randomly. It was first intended to be a short and simple two paragraph letter so that I could use visual effects. The text would be in a blood font and it would be written on burned and torn parchment. As it became so long, this method is not quite reasonable (that's a lot on pony blood).

Instead, my next idea would be to have the text written on the same burned and torn parchment. However, the text would be written messily with ink. The bottom right corner would be blood stained and the ending "Twilight Sparkle" signature would trail off incomplete. As an added effect, tear stains would be scattered on the parchment.

I've considered expanding this letter and instead doing a full story on it. There are a LOT of details not mentioned in the letter, and that intentional. The emphasis was to be the mane cast and their sacrifices. If I were to do a story, it would contain all the left out details such as why war? Who are the Raiders? What happened to Spike? Why is Twilight bleeding? And so forth.

But I digress ... thank you for taking the time to read the letter and even this note!

Please comment!

Comments ( 6 )

OH CELESTIA
They better up in heaven or some shit, because seriously, I can't deal with sad stories. They make me go insane.

Sincerely, DreZ-

good job it brought a ger tears near breaking from me eye an thats hard to do considerin i didn't cry for my lil dashie.:fluttershysad:

380809

What's the point of any story? To write of course!

Anyway, notice how each of the mane six die (Twilight excluded). They died because they helped their friends via each individual Element. Applejack would really be the exception, but I couldn't think of how Honesty would get you killed while benefiting your friends without it being too close to Loyalty. My excuse here: an illness, something not true to her body, killed her (silly workaround).

But if you must have a point, read in between the lines. Notice how "True Friendship" is mentioned often. This is a direct counter to the fleeting relationships we see in modern society. Many people believe that just because you know someone's name, you're sudden friends. This story was to show what real friendship is ... to help each other in hard situations, even if it requires a sacrifice of your own (even in smaller circumstances).

Furthermore, notice how Twilight signed the letter. Normally it ends with "Your faithful student". Not this time, she learned the most important lesson on Friendship. She 'Graduated' so to speak.

Anyways, thanks to everyone for their comments. Good or bad, it still means you read it, and I am humbled that my words are worth your time.

A wonderful piece of work sir. I congratulate you on being able to write something as this. Books like this only remind us of what the world truly is. If the world were more like Equestria, peaceful, prosperous and harmonic there would be no war..... There would be no strife........ and there would only......... be......... Friendship.......

Im new to this place and this is the first thing i read here.
May is say this is one of the few things that has gotten an emotional response from me.
Well done..... Well done... :fluttercry::raritycry:

Login or register to comment