• Published 6th Mar 2014
  • 2,692 Views, 129 Comments

Twilight Sparkle Investigates - Bradel



Twilight makes a series of educational videos. Questionable judgment ensues.

  • ...
11
 129
 2,692

Episode 1 – Beer

“No! Spike! You have to screw it into the tripod, like…”

The camera fell over, briefly dissolving the picture into static. Then a purple glow obscured the lens, and when it faded, the room was back to normal.

“Sorry, but you know I haven’t done this before, Twilight. Anyway, why in Equestria did you decide you wanted to do this tonight of all nights? Aren’t we supposed to be going to Gummy’s third birthday party?”

“We’ll go in a little while. When I’m ready. I don’t… I don’t really want to see Rainbow just yet, okay?”

Spike sighed. “Sure. Whatever.”

Twilight stepped into frame, wearing a painfully large smile. “Hello, friends! This is Twilight Sparkle, Princess of Magic and Friendship, and I’d like to introduce you to my new video series, ‘Twilight Sparkle Investigates’. Today, we’re going to be learning all about beer!”

“You know this is a terrible idea, right?”

Twilight’s smile widened a little. “That voice you hear off camera is my faithful assistant Spike, who is helping me by filming this video. C’mere, Spike, and say hello to all the little colts and fillies at home!” Twilight’s eyes glinted in the over-bright lights of the library interior.

Spike edged into frame, doing his best to smile at the camera. “Hi, everypony.” He gave Twilight a quick glance and retreated back to anonymity.

Twilight muttered something under her breath, too low for the microphone to pick up. Then, she pitched her voice louder. “Okay, colts and fillies. What do you know about beer?” A brief pause, as if she expected a response. “Beer, as you may have heard, is made from grains like wheat and barley. It’s different from cider, like my friend Applejack makes, but it’s still really good sometimes. Especially when you’re mad at cider for kis—”

“Twilight…”

“Thank you, Spike. Yes. Beer is very good. And tonight, I’m going to be trying a few beers and letting you know what I think of them. We can enjoy them together!”

“I don’t think this is what Princess Celestia meant when she said you should engage with the ponies of Ponyville more.”

Twilight stepped out of frame for a moment, then returned with a small box. Although most of its contents were hidden from the camera, a number of thin bottlenecks protruded out of the box’s open top.

A purple aura surrounded one of the bottles and levitated it out of the box. It drifted closer to the camera, careful to leave Twilight unobstructed on the left side of the frame. “This first one is called Jose Marevos. It’s a wheat beer, with an alcohol content of…” The bottle levitated over to Twilight, and its cap flew off with a loud popping noise as she studied the label. “Thirteen percent—not bad! I heard about this particular variety last month when I was talking to Mister Davenport. He says this is his favorite. Let’s see how it tastes, shall we?”

The bottle levitated alongside Twilight as she paced over to a small table and seated herself. Then it floated to her lips and upended itself for approximately seven seconds, during which time a series of quiet, worried noises could be heard coming from off-camera. The bottle settled back to the table and Twilight grinned. “That really is good! I don’t know a whole lot about be— I mean… I’ll be learning with you, kids! But I think that one tastes excellent. Okay, why don’t we pause for a little bit and discuss how beer gets made.” The bottle floated up from the table once again, and Twilight’s eyes glimmered.

Thirty minutes later

“An’ then the wort ferments for a…” Twilight peered down at the book sitting open on the table. Her hoof wobbled back and forth over the page, never quite staying still. “For… a week? No, at least a week, up to a couple months. Then they send it out and bottle it!”

Another bottle, this one with a green label that the camera had never gotten a chance to properly observe, upended itself into Twilight’s mouth until it was empty. The bottle levitated over to the right side of the table where it joined four others, all of relatively small size, arranged in a precise formation like bowling pins. Another bottle floated out of the box—one of seven now remaining—and landed on the table in front of Twilight. “Ooh, Dos Equus! I’ve been waiting for this one to come up. I heard about this one from—”

Twilight looked off toward the ceiling of the library. After a few seconds, Spike coughed obtrusively.

“From… Applejack. My friend, Applejack. Yeah. She said it was really good.” Twilight stared at the bottle for a moment before letting her levitation lapse. This time, she picked it up between her hooves and gave it a long look. Then she tilted her head back and drained most of the bottle in one gulp.

“Twilight, I really don’t think you sh—”

“Aww hush, Spike. I can drink if I wanna. I’m old enough now, an’ I’m a princess!”

There was a brief silence, as Twilight stared at the table in front of her. She set down the bottle and ran one of her hooves across the rough wood.

“And you’re absolutely sure you want me to put this video up where everypony can see it?”

Twilight paused, as if trying to parse the question. Then she turned to glare off camera. “I said it’s for all the little colts and fillies, didn’ I? How’re they supposed to learn about beer if nobody’s there to teach ‘em?”

“And you’re absolutely sure little colts and fillies should be learning about beer?”

Twilight hiccuped.

The camera recorded a sigh, and then the image began to jostle from side to side.

“No! Spike! Stop it!” Twilight waved a hoof in the air, coming precariously close to knocking over the bottle of Dos Equus. “Stop it. Just… Just gimme a couple more minutes, okay?”

There was a little huff, but the camera stopped moving.

Twilight stared at the mostly-empty bottle in front of her. With great care, she lifted it to her mouth and finished it off. She set the now-empty bottle alongside the others she had finished. Then a purple glow surrounded the box and the remaining bottles, levitating them all out of frame.

“I do think colts and fillies should learn about beer,” she said. “Beer is part of the natural order of things. It’s been a tradition among earth ponies for…” Her eyes narrowed, and she rubbed a hoof against her temple. “For a long time. An’ it’s important to know about, too, ‘cause adult ponies drink it—sometimes because they like it, and sometimes… because they wanna not feel so…” Her voice trailed off.

Spike stepped into frame, momentarily blocking the camera’s view of the library interior. He walked to Twilight, sat down beside her, and rested his claw on one of her hooves.

Twilight turned to Spike. “Why’d she have to go an’… I mean, Applejack knew how I felt about Rainbow, didn’ she?”

Spike rubbed his claw across Twilight’s hoof, and after a moment, she closed her eyes and leaned into him, settling her chin on top of his head. Spike tried to hug her in return, though the way Twilight was leaning against him made the motion awkward.

The camera recorded two minutes of silence, and very little motion. Twilight’s eyes never opened, though a few small tears leaked from their corners.

Eventually, Spike released his embrace and pulled away. “We’re not going to Gummy’s birthday party, are we?”

Twilight blushed. “…no.”

“And you know it’s just gonna cause a whole lot of trouble if I post this, right? You’re a princess now. If ponies see this, they’re gonna talk, and a lot of them won’t have nice things to say.”

Twilight sighed. “I know. You’re right. Maybe this was a bad idea, Spike. Maybe doing educational videos is…” Again, she trailed off.

“So I can go turn off the camera, and then you can go to bed, and we can just forget tonight ever happened?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

Spike stood and walked toward the camera, looking a little smug.

“But… don’t delete the video, okay? Maybe someday I’ll find a use for it.”

The image blinked off.

Author's Note:

The first version of this story came about during a public drunk writing session in January 2014. Since then, I’ve taken some time to lay out an arc of about 20 episodes in this series. I’ll be publishing new chapters every Thursday (I hope).

Just so you’re aware, this story will not be pre-read, for reasons I’ve detailed elsewhere. That means I’d really appreciate feedback from you folks, as this story moves forward, if there are any particular elements that are or aren’t working well for you.