• Published 23rd Feb 2014
  • 4,943 Views, 29 Comments

Button Mash Joins the Cutie Mark Crusaders - PinkRoyalty



Button Mash has just moved to Ponyville. The Cutie Mark Crusaders notice he doesn't have a cutie mark, and asks him to join them.

  • ...
2
 29
 4,943

Chapter 2

Button set down his book bag. He still wasn't used to his new home in Ponyville. The small cottage was a lot more homely and cozy than his family's apartment in the bustling city of Fillydelphia.

"How was school today, Button?" his mom asked.

"It was okay, I guess." Button decided not to tell his mom about the two fillies that had teased him. He didn't want her to worry.

"Did Miss Cherry assign any homework?"

"No Mom, it's the first day of school. And her name is Miss Cheerilee."

"Well, remember to keep your grades up. Try to get at least a B this year, okay Button? And I want you to try and make some friends. It's not healthy playing those video games all day."

Button rolled his eyes. "Fiiinne," he whined. "Can I go now?"

"Alright, Button."

"Yaaay!" Button headed off into his room. He turned on the TV and his brand-new Playstation 4, and grabbed the controller. "Time to pwn some zompony flank!" He exclaimed, getting comfortable in his beanbag chair and putting on his headset, only to be interrupted as he heard knocking coming from the door.

“Probably just that mail mare, Derpy.” Button thought, shrugging it off, only to be interrupted again by his mother calling him.

"Button, some nice fillies are here to see you! Come here!" his mom called.

Button groaned, set down his controller and headset, and walked to the door. He saw the three fillies and recognized them as the ponies that defended him at recess. He was slightly concerned at how they found out where he lived.

"Hi Button!" greeted Sweetie Belle.

"H...how'd you find where I live? STALK-" Button cried, before quickly shutting up as he realized that his mother was still next to him.

"We just asked Pinkie Pie. She knows just about everypony in town," Sweetie replied cheerfully.

"Oh, oh yeah..." Button recalled the overly-enthusiastic pony that had welcomed them with a huge party.

"So anyway, we three are part of this group we formed, the Cutie Mark Crusaders. And we were wondering if you’d like to join us. "

“Yeah, it’s really fun and we do all these really cool things to get our cutie marks. One time we even went skydiving with the best racer around, Rainbow Dash! You know, since you don’t have a cutie mark and all,” added Scootaloo.

“Oh...well I dunno…” Button took a step back, trying to think of a good excuse not to join. He remembered how nice these three were to him at school, but all he really wanted to do was play video games. The last foal that he could even call his friend backstabbed him in the end. “I mean...uh...I’m kind of...bus-”

“Button would love to join!” Button’s mom nudged him closer to the three fillies, seeing a fantastic opportunity to force her son into making friends.

“I don’t th-” Button started to protest.

“You told me you would try harder to make friends this year, Button. Come on!”

“Bu-bu-but-” muttered Button, lowering his head, still hesitant.

“Please! You won’t regret it. We have this super duper awesome clubhouse that we have our meetings in! It’s so fun!” Sweetie Belle said, flashing a pleading look at Button.

“F-f-fine.” murmured Button, knowing that if he didn’t go that his mom would probably never get him that game he wanted.

“Yay!” said Sweetie. “See, I told you this would work.” Sweetie quickly whispered to Apple Bloom and Scootaloo.

“Alright, you four kids have fun! Be back by six!” Button’s mom grinned and abruptly shoved Button out of the house. She shut the door, glad to have more time to relax without hearing Button screaming at his games every few minutes.

“Well, that was interestin.” muttered Apple Bloom.

“So, we’re heading to the clubhouse?” asked Scootaloo.

‘Yup.” Apple Bloom responded.

“So Button, our clubhouse is in a really top secret location. We plan ways to get our cutie marks there, but you can’t tell anypony where it is, okay?” Scootaloo said.

“Sure.” replied Button.

“Pinkie Promise?”

“Excuse me?”

“Like this. Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye. OW!” Sweetie did the motions for each part of the promise and made the classic mistake of putting her hoof in her open eye. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom giggled.

“I guess…” Button slowly did the attempted to repeat Sweetie's motions, taking care not to make the same mistake she did.

“Alright! Remember, no breaking a Pinkie Promise!” said Sweetie.

“Doing so is the quickest way to lose a friend…” Pinkie Pie suddenly appeared, rising from a bush. “FOREVER!” She glared at Button, waving her hooves around before going back underneath the bush.

“A...alright.” Button flinched. He was deeply concerned for the fact that the pink pony had been listening in on their conversation.

“Don’t worry, that’s just Pinkie bein Pinkie,” said Apple Bloom.

The four started walking to the clubhouse. The Cutie Mark Crusaders began explaining more about their club and asking questions to Button, and he tried his best to listen to their rambling and pay attention.

“So uh, what was that JoyBoy thingy you were playing with at recess?” asked Sweetie.

“Oh! That’s called a video game.” said Button.

“Video game?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Have you been living under a rock? They’re the best thing that’s ever happened to ponykind! And I have like a zillion more games, and also a ton of consoles. My JoyBoy isn’t all that good, but it’s a decent handheld console I guess. See, I got a Playstation 4 as a back to school gift, and it’s really cool and soo much better than the last one. I’ve been playing this game where you’re this octopus and you have to do stuff, but it’s really hard because you have to grab on to things with your slimy tentacles instead of hooves.” A few ponies stared at Button as they heard parts of that sentence.

“Also, there’s this game called Minecraft, and I when I first saw it I thought the graphics were really bad, but it turns out it’s like that on purpose which is weird, like it’s supposed to be voxel-based or something, but it’s like still a good game.” Button rambled on, glad to be talking about his passion.

Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo didn’t understand a thing he was talking about but were glad Button actually sounded excited for once, so they decided to not interrupt. Button continued to talk about video games until they reached Sweet Apple Acres.

“Hey girls,” Applejack said, noticing the crusaders. “Heading on over to the clubhouse?”

Apple Bloom nodded. “We’ve gotten a new member, Button Mash!”

“Hey Button, I’m Apple Bloom’s sister, Applejack. Nice to meet you.”

“Hi.” Button gave a shy wave.

“Alright, you foals have fun!” Applejack waved goodbye and returned to bucking apple trees.

“Right, so there’s this secret path to the clubhouse that we made. Just follow us, Button,” said Scootaloo.

The three began weaving through the forest of apple trees and Button attempted to follow. The path they were taking seemed to be made in the most roundabout way possible, and when Button finally saw a treehouse, situated on a particularly large tree. It actually looked pretty cool. It seemed like they could’ve gotten here a lot faster if they had just walked straight, though.

“Here it is! Is it awesome or what?” said Scootaloo, before eagerly galloping up the steps with the other crusaders. Button hesitated a little, still taking in the view of the clubhouse.

“Come on, Button Mash!” the Cutie Mark Crusaders cried out from the building.

Author's Note:

ALRIGHT~ I've decided to update this!

So. Thank you guys so much for the support on this weird little fanfiction chapter that I wrote over a year and half ago, it's pretty awesome that 57 people read this and decided it was good enough to click the like button(and for those who didn't like it, but still read it, thank you so much also!). And the people who commented to show their support of this fic are awesome too!

I'm guessing most of the people who read this aren't interested anymore, but for those who are and stuck around to read this: Sorry for not posting an update at all for a year and a half. The thing is, I'm not really in this fandom anymore (I haven't been watching season 5 at all except for the first few episodes).

So why did I even decide to update this now? Well, I found the mostly-finished second chapter from a year ago that I was writing and decided from all the comments and support I've seen that'd I finish it. It's kind of boring, I know. I'm probably not going to finish this beyond the second chapter, sorry. I had a lot of plans for this fic, but, like I said, I'm not in the fandom anymore.

I have no idea if my editors are even active here anymore so I kind of just finished writing it and didn't really edit it because I'm kind of bored and tired right now. So feel free to point out errors or any inconsistencies or whatever.

Comment if you want to, I appreciate feedback.

also, i realized reading this that the way i characterized button in this makes him too much like twilight in the first episodes in the show which i kind of don't like but whatever

Comments ( 10 )

5977394
5525327
Your wishes have been granted! (quite a few months late, but hey, it's something, right?)

YAY! :pinkiecrazy: I like how he plays Minecraft. Just like a 12 year old. :rainbowlaugh:

and now we wait another year for the next great chapter of buttons life:trollestia:

Bro, this is awesome! With a rating like 61/1, you can't really go wrong. You had solid grammer, good development, and of course, an interesting story that we want to see more of. If we didn't, I wouldn't ask for more, like so.
Moar plox

so far so good, keep up.

6279795 Better late than never, right? I love the story, and I know how you feel about 'not really being in the fandom anymore,' it feels like you've just stopped 'liking' the show like you did. Keep up the good work!!

Comment posted by YoursTruly deleted Jan 4th, 2021
Comment posted by YoursTruly deleted Jan 4th, 2021

i like the fact that you made button sound like the only sane person here XD

I neeeeed MOOOOOOOOORE! :applecry:

Login or register to comment