• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 1,241 Views, 14 Comments

Life, Love and Adventure - Mykneebescratchy



As Twilight and her friends experience love and begin to find a groove to settle within in life, Celestia has to deal with her insecurities and a dark conflict begins to form on the horizons of Equestria.

  • ...
9
 14
 1,241

Chapter Four

Light was filtering in through the curtain in Rarity’s room, the birds were chirping outside, and Applejack was just awakening. With a grunt she attempted to roll over only to realize too late that Rarity had her in a death hold. Applejacks Earth Pony strength lifted Rarity up off the mattress, before she fell back down. The sudden movement shook Rarity, rudely, from her pleasant sleep.

“Applejack! When you are being cuddled in the morning, you don’t usually try to wake the other pony up with sudden jerking motions!” Rarity humphed and continued to keep Applejack in her unbreaking embrace.

Applejack blushed as Rarity clung to her like a cat to a tree. “Rarity ah was just gonna get up an make some breakfast.” Applejack attempted to break free again with a grunt. “Please, Rarity.” Applejack begged.

Rarity seemed to consider the plea for a moment… “Well… since you asked so nicely.” Rarity giggled at her antics. “Come now darling within the hour we will have three hungry fillies and a baby dragon to feed.” Rarity loosened her hold on Applejack, and rolled out of the bed.

Applejack followed suit, letting Rarity lead the way to the kitchen. A blush still apparent on her cheeks. Applejack was unsure what Rarity was doing, this kind of thing never really happened around her before.

“So, what are we gonna make?” Questioned Applejack. “Hay-bacon and tomatoes on toast is fairly easy to do.”

“Well, Applejack I was planning on making crepes with fruit.” Rarity responded. “However, I believe that both will suffice.”

“Well okay then, Ah’ll make the hay-bacon and tomatoes on toast.” Applejack paused. “You can make the crepes, whatever those are.”

Rarity sighed. “Applejack, crepes, are a Prench delicacy. They are like, hmm, how do I say it?” Rarity paused thinking for a second. “Super thin pancakes!” Rarity said proud of her answer.

“So they are like pancakes, but super thin?” Applejack questioned.

“Yes” Replied Rarity.

“Now why would anypony want ta have super thin pancakes?”

Rarity facehooved. “Applejack.”

“Yes Rarity.”

“Just make your toast.”

“Fine, but ah still-” Applejack began, only to stop as she noticed Rarity’s eyes narrow.

***

An amazing smell was wafting up the stairs, and through the air. Making its way into Sweetie Belles room, where Spike lay curled up in a ball in the corner.

“Mmm, what is that amazing smell.” Spike sniffed at the air, and groggily got to his feet. “Girls, I think there is food.”

“Hmm, what.” Scootaloo said. “Who said food.”

“Is that hay-bacon ah smell.” Drawled Applebloom groggily.

“Are those Rarity’s crepes, I smell.” Squeaked Sweetie Belle rubbing the sleep out of her eyes with her hooves.

“Come on now yall, there is some awesome grub downstairs.” Applebloom called drowsily, getting up on her hooves, and leading all the others sluggishly into the kitchen.

“What's for breakfast.” The Crusaders and Spike asked in unison.

“Crepes with fruit, and Hay-bacon with tomatoes on toast.”

“Ooh” Squeaked Sweetie Belle. “I love toast.”

Everypony and Spike grabbed a plate of grub. They all ate in ravenous silence. Several moments later, when the Crusaders plus Spike had finished wolfing down their meal. They took off to ensue some of their planned shenanigans.

“Well Applejack, that was the most fun I have had in a little while. We shall have to do it again sometime.” Rarity hugged Applejack tightly. “And thank you for the other stuff.” She whispered thankfully into rustic mares ear.

“No problem. Rarity ah am always there if ya need me.” Applejack paused suddenly, getting an idea. “Hey! Why don’t ya help me run the apple stall today. Ah could use the company”

Rarity paused thinking for a moment. “Well, I suppose I could do that, I have no work at the moment. Plus I would love to spend some more time with you.” Rarity blushed.

“Alrighty then, lets get goin, ah need to pick up the cart, and then we just sell apples!” Applejack said, blushing slightly at Rarity’s comment.

***

The birds chirped in the sky, and the sun broke through the curtains of a certain cottage on the edge of the Everfree. Tangled within Fluttershy’s bed was Rainbow Dash, her wing wrapped lovingly around Fluttershy, her lover. Their tails were intertwined. With a slight grunt Rainbow Dash cuddled into Fluttershy even more.

“Good morning beautiful.” Rainbow whispered into her lover's ear.

Fluttershy let out a cute little squeaky yawn. “Mmm, good morning Dashie.”

The two lay together, for a few minutes, just enjoying each others company.

“How about we get up and make some breakfast Dashie, and then head to the market. I have to get Angel a reward for being a good bunny.” Fluttershy said as she nuzzled into Rainbow Dashes mane. Rainbow groaned and rolled out of the bed.

“Alright Flutters, we got things to do then. I will start on breakie, what would you like?”

“Um… how about you make some dandelion sandwiches. We have the ingredients for them.”

“Ok, see you in a bit.” Rainbow flashed in for a quick kiss and then sped downstairs to make the food.

Fluttershy slowly rose to her hooves, heading for her bathroom. After five minutes, and a quick shower Fluttershy appeared downstairs.

“Hey Flutters, I made a plate of sandwiches, and fed Angel, as well as all the animals like you taught me to.” Rainbow flashed Fluttershy her biggest smile.

“Oh, thank you Dashie!” Fluttershy ran up and kissed her proud marefriend. “I am very glad that you are around for me. Sometimes it can be very stressful.”

“You’re welcome my lady. Now shall we eat.” Rainbow said, her cheesy soft side revealed.

Fluttershy giggled. “Of course.” Fluttershy grabbed two sandwiches, and sat down eating them slowly.

Rainbow grabbed the remainder of the sandwiches. Eating them rather quickly. “Hey shy, I am going to have to do some weather stuff really quick after I eat. So where are you going to be in the market?” Rainbow Dash asked

“Oh ok. I am going to be at Applejacks stall for some apples, and a pie. I will also be at Carrot Tops for Angels reward.” Fluttershy replied.

“Ok.” Said Rainbow finishing off the rest of her food. “Thanks for the awesome date last night Flutters. It was really awesome!” Rainbow kissed her marefriend one more time. “I will meet you at Applejacks stall, ok?”

“Yes Dashie, and thank you as well, for the date.” Fluttershy paused smiling. “It was the most fun I have had in a long time.”

Rainbow gave Fluttershy one more dashing smile. Before taking off to begin her day.

***

Celestia awoke slowly as she felt the urge to begin the sunrise. Reaching into her element she grabbed the sun and triggered the continuation of its motion. Groggily Celestia got to her hoofs, surprisingly she was not a morning pony. Slowly while peering around her room, the dark memories of last night seeped through.

Celestia let out a deep sigh. “I need to send that letter to the training facility.” Celestia charged her horn, and watched as everything in her room returned to the proper place. Grabbing a quill, ink and parchment. Celestia began to write.

Lieutenant Spearhorn,

Last night Prince Blueblood was enlisted into and teleported to this training camp. I would like you to inform the Captain that he is the new member of your squad. He will go through the rigorous training program, and tell him that unless he completes the training he will not receive any of his titles back.

With regards,

Princess Celestia

Celestia looked over the letter, then let out a keening whistle. Philomena appeared in a burst of flames onto Celestias back. “Hello Philomena, I have a letter for you to send. Could you take this to training camp 13.” Philomena screeched and grabbed the letter in her talons before flashing out of the room.

Celestia stretched and traversed her large circular room, stepping into the bathroom. Taking a look in the mirror, Celestia noticed the dried tear tracks on her face, and rugged look of her coat. She turned on her shower, stepping under the cold water. Willing her body to heat up with her magic, the water turned to steam as it made contact with her coat. It was a trick that she found felt better than hot water, the heat did not bother her, even though any normal pony would have boiled alive from the superheated steam filling the room. Allowing the heat and steam to loosen all her muscles. Once relaxed enough Celestia willed her body to cool down a small amount so that the water could cascade over her, rather than instantly turning to steam. Celestia felt infinitely better than she did yesterday, but her wisdom told her that these problems would not just go away. She had suppressed a lot of emotions, and she had done it for longer than her sister. Eventually they would come back to haunt her, but for now she had to be strong. Celestia shut the water off and stepped out of her shower. The steam instantly drying her coat, Celestia brushed her self down, getting her fur to look pristine and shiny. Realizing she had not cooled herself down she willed her body to return down to a normal temperature. Had she remained that temperature the air around her would heat up to the point where she could cook those around her.

Now it was time to get breakfast, and see if Luna was okay. Celestia had faith that Twilight would be able to help Luna, after all it was obvious how much her sister ‘liked’ her former student. Celestia put on her best smile, and exited her room, making her way to the dining hall.

***

Luna and Twilight were sound asleep, cuddled in a tight embrace. Luna could feel the moon slow in orbit, and it was time for her to set it into course for another day. Unconsciously Luna lit her horn, reaching in to the pocket of her domain giving the moon a little push. Luna opened her eyes, she could smell the morning dew on the flowers. Ever since she returned from the moon, she had loved the morning. She loved how there was light, and smells, and even though it was ironic… she loved her sisters day, loved the feel of sunlight on her fur, the smell of dew drops in the early morning.

Not to say she did not love her own night. It was still, and always would be her favourite. There was nothing like the cold chill of the moonlight. Nothing like a winter evening, when the snowflakes were falling gently, catching every essence of the glowing moon. Nothing like a warm summers night, where the cool stream water rippled over smooth stones, through a moonlit moore. Her night would always be her favourite, but Tia’s day had a place in her heart as well. Luna stretched, and melted out of Twilight's embrace. Twilight could sleep a little more, but Luna wanted to have a shower. Luna silently snuck across the room and entered her personal bathroom. She closed the door and put a soundproofing spell on it so that Twilight could have more peace. Turning the cold water on Luna entered the stream. She loved the cold, when she and Tia were only fillies they would shower together. Tia would heat the room to unbearable temperatures letting the cold water instantly turn to steam on her body. Luna however enjoyed the icy cold water, her magic drained the heat from the water. The water was extremely cold, well below freezing, but Luna would not let it freeze. The nearly frozen water always felt nice to Luna, it felt so dark. Which led to the second phase to Luna’s shower, this was to ensure there was no light in the room at all. Using her magic she drained the light from the room, it was pitch black, there was no light, no vision, only the cool sensation of icy water flowing down her body. Standing under the stream of ice, Luna took a moment to ponder.

She was so unsure, and, the question of whether or not Twilights theory was correct was not helping matters. Maybe her time on the moon had taken away her experience. If so it was not like that would be a bad thing, it just meant she would have some learning to do. Still it may not be the case, after all it was just a theory. Both Luna and Twilight would have to talk with Celestia at breakfast, maybe she could shed some light on the situation.

Feeling clean, refreshed and satisfied Luna shut off the water. Luna paused, charging up her horn, then she released the light and heat back into the room. The sudden burst drying her coat, and warming her soul. Luna gave her coat a quick brush and went to see if Twilight was awake yet. Peeking out of the bathroom, Luna saw Twilight still sleeping, her chest rising and falling, her wings twitching at some dream. It was probably the cutest thing that Luna had ever seen. Alas, no matter how cute Twilight looked it was time for her to wake up, Luna walked over and gave Twilight a little nudge with her wing.

“Twilight, it is time to get up, Tia will be expecting us, or I suppose me at breakfast.”

“Mm, ok.” Twilight stretched out her wings giving a cute yawn.

Luna took the opportunity to give Twilight a big kiss. Pressing her lips against Twilights, and pulling away.

“Luna, what are we going to tell Princess Celestia about our relationship.” Twilight asked, a small cloud of worry crossing her features. “I mean what if she doesn't accept us.”

Luna giggled. “Twilight, this is my sister we are talking about. She probably already knows that we are together.”

Twilight paused not completely satisfied with the answer. “But what if-” Twilight began.

“Twilight, listen my sister is one of the most accepting ponies around. Tia will be perfectly fine with it. I mean knowing her she probably already saw that I liked you, and she never said anything about it.” Luna smiled reassuringly. “Which means she was fine with the fact that I could possibly act on my crush.”

“Okay Luna.” Twilight still looked slightly uneasy, but she looked less worried. “I suppose we should go down for breakfast. I am just going to use the bathroom to clean up.”

“Okay, I will wait here, then we will go down together.”

***

Celestia entered the dining room, the guards bowing at her presence. She looked around to see if her sister was down yet. “Hmm, has Luna come down yet?”

“No, not yet your Royal Majesty.” Celestia paused and her ear flicked, as she heard the sound of hooves, moving toward the dining hall. Turning toward the movement Celestia saw a welcome sight.

“Hello Tia, I am sorry about last night.” Said Luna as she entered the room with Twilight. “I should not have acted the way that I did.”

“Lulu, are you okay, I was so worried.” Celestia grabbed Luna in a big wing hug. “Never, ever lock yourself in your room like that again.” Celestia exclaimed a tear rolling out of her eye.

“I am fine sister, and I am sorry. I was angry at Blueblood, and at myself.” Luna said returning the hug. “None of it was your fault. It is me Tia. Never you, it never was you.”

Celestia swallowed, her emotion, and insecurities scratching at- no, tearing away- at the surface. It was too much… Celestia broke into tears. “Lu-luna, I am s-sor-sorry, it w-was so har-hard when yo-you were not here. I-I ju-just lo-locked it up. It w-was m-my fault, all my fa-fault.” Celestia sobbed into Lunas mane.

Twilight sat with her eyes wide, her former mentor had always seemed so impossibly strong. It was weird to see her any other way.

“Shh, Tia it is okay. I am not going anywhere. I came back, and I am not going anywhere anytime soon.” Luna rubbed her sisters back.

Celestia took a big deep breath and her horn flashed removing all the tear stains from her and her sisters coat. “Im sorry about that. I have been holding that in for a very long time.”

“It is okay sister, letting it out is the best thing that you can do.” Luna smiled at her sister. “Now lets eat breakfast.” Luna smiled at Twilight. “Twilight and I have some things to tell you.”

***

“So, you and Twilight both think that you have had your experiences deleted from you.” Celestia said, an empty plate in front of her, as she levitated a napkin wiping the corners of her mouth.

“Yes, I mean it makes sense.” Luna exclaimed. “I am faced with situations I remember handling before I was on the moon, but as I handle them again I can’t actually do it.” Explained Luna.

“Well, Twilight what do you think?” Asked Celestia

“Um, well it is only a theory, but I think that either way, something is changing the way that Luna handles situations.” Twilight paused. “I mean it just seems like Luna is on a different level. When talking with you I can feel the years, but with Luna, it is like talking to somepony you know is really old, but it feels like they don’t have the same maturity.”

“Well then, I suppose you are correct Twilight.” Celestia paused, her conscious weighing the pro’s and con’s of telling the truth, but quickly deciding against it. “Do you two have anything else to bring up.”

“Um… well, you see…” Twilight started, before petering out, a big blush covering her face.

“Yes, go on.” Celestia said, a knowing smile on her face.

“Um, Luna and I are trying out a romantic relationship.” Twilight said sheepishly.

Silence… Celestia stood up fuming with anger. “Twilight Sparkle.” Celestia began in a menacing tone. Draining the light from the room with her magic. Twilight's face went pale, and she could not speak as she shook in fear. “Congratulations to the both of you!” Celestia finished.

Luna burst into laughter. “Tia that was a good one.” Celestia smiled at her sister and began to giggle.

Twilight looked between the two of them. With a massive blush, and an increasingly worried mind. Twilight became visibly deflated, the joke obviously not as funny for her.

Luna noticed that Twilight looked extremely uncomfortable. “Twilight, its okay. We will stop teasing you. But you should have seen the look on your face.” Luna walked over and hugged Twilight, realizing she was still upset. “Okay it was kind of mean, but don’t worry at least she didn't yell at you, and then tell you that she was joking.” Luna looked at her sister, with a look that said. ‘You started this.’

“I’m sorry Twilight, I did not know that I would upset you so much. I really do approve of you and Luna’s relationship.” Celestia said in an attempt to reassure her former student.

“Oh, its okay. I just get all worried about stuff like this. I was silly to think that you would not approve.” Twilight said, clearly disappointed in her self.

“Now Twilight.” Celestia began. “Please don’t get caught up in this. It is a thing of the past, and there was no harm done.” Celestia looked back at Luna with eyes that said ‘She is your marefriend.’

Luna kissed Twilight. “There will be more where that came from if you promise not to let that joke bother you.” Luna said winking at Twilight.


“Well then when you put it that way… I suppose I can just let it slide.” Twilight said, her former disappointment replaced with an aura of humor.

“Okay well I-” Celestia was cut off.

“Your Majesties I must speak with you at once!” Shouted the new guard Captain who had replaced Shining Armour after the wedding.

“Yes Captain, speak.”

“A summit has been called! All the nations, they want answers! The griffons are talking of war, and the minotaurs are as well!” The Captain explained. “They are all saying that Equestria has broken the bond of peace.”

Luna gasped. “Sister I shall pack at-”

“No Luna. You shall take Twilight home. Protect her, I will go to the Summit.”

“But Tia, how will they see that we mean peace if I am not there!”

“Luna, you must remember. These ponies, griffons, minotaurs. They all grew up in a world where they despised you. I will not put you, or Twilight in danger.”

“Tia, what about you!” Luna exclaimed. “And who will look after things here?!”

“Sister, I will be fine. I will call Cadence here from the Crystal Empire. There will be none at that summit capable of harming me.”

“But Tia, they could not harm me either.”

“Please Lulu, please. Let me handle this, it is not my wish that you ever have to be seen as the start of a war ever again. And that is what they would do.”

“Fine sister, but if fighting begins, I will join the ranks.” Luna said darkly.

“I know you will. But that can still be avoided.” Celestia smiled. “Go have a fun visit in Ponyville, you will be Twilights personal bodyguard, and the vigil of the town.”

“Okay, but please be careful Tia.” Luna said with worry. “You are not the only one who worries.”

“I will be fine, and I will talk with you soon.” Celestia motioned for the guard captain to follow her.

“Come now Twilight, I need you to fuel me some magic, I am going to teleport us to your Library.” Luna began. “Just charge up magic and channel it into my horn.” Luna’s horn began to glow, and her eyes turn white. Twilight, unable to comprehend what was happening followed Luna’s instructions. With a sharp pop the two appeared in the Golden Oaks Library.

“Luna, what just happened.” Twilight asked. “One minute we were having fun, and the next we are on the brink of war, but here we are… in my Library, with you as my protector.”

“Twilight, I am not going to lie to you. This may very well end in a bloody war.” Luna sighed. “What I know, from what Tia has told me, is that the griffons were not very happy with my return. They wanted Celestia to execute me in front of them, and I do not blame them, I slaughtered many griffons as Nightmare Moon.” Luna sighed again. “The point is, is that when Discord got “reformed” it was the last straw for the griffons. They formed a warpact with the Minotaurs: If they were ever to declare war on Equestria then the Minotaurs would follow suit, and after that every nation would declare war on us.”

“Why!?”

“Twilight it is all strategy, the Griffons and Minotaurs on their own are a force to be reckoned with. Even with magic, Equestria would be fighting a losing battle. The other countries would gang up on us so that they were not crushed by the Griffons and Minotaurs.”

“Then why are we just sitting here, should we not be warning ponies, and preparing for war.”

“We are! Ponyville is a prime strategic point.” Luna smiled. “And we are the defenders.”

“Shouldn't I tell my friends. My family!?”

“Not yet Twilight, we will warn everyone if it comes to war.” Luna sighed. “Which it very well could, but until then it is best not to worry them.”

“But! Luna! How do I not tell them, I mean what if this is the last chance I will have?” Twilight stopped unable to see how Luna could remain so calm about this, like it wasnt a big deal. “How can you just sit there, and smile. Is it not important to you?!”

“Twilight, please. I understand that this is hard for you.” Luna paused. “But you have to remain calm. If you do not then you put others at risk.”

“But” Twilight began.

“No Twilight!” Luna interrupted. “How do you think it would go over if you told your parents, and your friends that there could be a war tomorrow?”

“...”

“Well I will tell you exactly what would happen, they would tell their loved ones, and then along the line it would become twisted, ponies would be in a state of panic.” Luna paused. “You deal with it when the time comes, when it is announced to everypony, because panic can start a war, just as easily as anything.”

Twilight had her ears flat on her head, she began to whimper, before breaking into tears. Her sobs ringing through the empty library, Luna recoiled in shock. She hadn’t meant to hurt Twilight, to yell at her. Twilight didn’t know about war, she grew up in a time of peace.

“Twilight I am sorry.” Luna tried to envelope Twilight in a comforting hug, but Twilight pushed her away. “Twilight, please I really do understand. It is just… Twilight… I grew up in a time of war. I know war, and even if I have been refreshed, or whatever you want to call it.” Luna sighed. “War was the first thing I knew, and it hasn't been refreshed.” Luna reached out for Twilight again, and this time the lavender Alicorn accepted the embrace. Luna rubbed Twilights back, offering her soothing words. After several minutes, Twilight had calmed down enough to speak.

“Luna.” Twilight sniffled. “I think I get it, I understand why now.”

“That is good Twilight.” Luna said nuzzling the smaller Alicorn.

“There is still one thing bothering me Luna?” Twilight paused. “You said you would enlist if it came to war. Why?”

“They will need me, I can plan a good battle. I also am a very good spellcaster.” Luna paused. “I can stop entire invasions, I was the best back before I was on the moon.”

“Why did you not lose that?” Twilight said, thinking back to what Luna had said before.

Luna paused, gathering her thoughts. “Most of my wars were before I became Nightmare Moon. I lived for fifteen hundred years before Nightmare Moon. Only one thousand years of that experience is gone, not forgotten, but unobtainable, and unimaginable.” Luna paused again. “For the first five hundred years Celestia and I grew up, of course she was older by about four hundred years. But during that time we toppled Discord, and fought to form Equestria out of the war torn Rampart that it was. “Celestia, built our castle before I was there. She helped those who came to her, but a city never built around the castle. When I came along there were many, many bad ponies, bad kings, malicious bandits-”

“Why?” Twilight interrupted.

Luna looked at Twilight disapprovingly then sighed. “Ugg, Twilight I was on a roll, what do you want to know about the history of Equestria?”

“All of it.” Twilight said with a smile.

Luna face hoofed and sighed. “Fine, but we better sit down, this could take a while, and no interruptions.” If Luna was going to give a history lesson, she was going to give one heck of a lesson.

“Now where to begin.” Luna pondered, and then, she began.

Well Twilight, before there was anything, there was nothingness. Or I suppose darkness, would be a better way to imagine it.

Then came the old Gods, there were three of them: Darkness, Harmony, and Chaos. Now the three created the world upon which we now live, they created life, love, and magic. However the old Gods began to quarrel, they each wanted more. Chaos and Darkness especially. Now Chaos split itself, one half creating luck, illness, and fate. The other creating Discord himself….Darkness shattered itself, trillions of shards creating hate, fear, anger and others, but most secretly Darkness made himself obtainable. Anything could inherit darkness…. Harmony was patient, he waited until he was the only old God left. Looking down on the world he helped create, Harmony saw disbalance. Then he created the sun. He created my sister, pouring part of himself into her. He watched her grow, and thrive, but knew that she alone would not be strong enough. So he created the tree of harmony, and chose six elements, which he believed represented himself. The intent of the elements was not to destroy, or defeat, but to rebalance. The elements did not require very much of Harmony to create because it was within the expanding energy of life that their power came.

By this point, my sister, who had lived already four hundred years, became lonely. She wished for a friend, for an eternal friend, a sister. So Harmony granted her wish, and created me.

Now there are six powerful magics in our world. Six powerful embodiments, and no they are not the Elements of Harmony. They are Chaos, the Sun, the Moon, Love, Magic itself, and Darkness. Discord is the embodiment of Chaos, Celestia is the embodiment of the Sun, I am the embodiment of the Moon, Cadence is the embodiment of Love, you are the embodiment of Magic, and there is no known embodiment of Darkness. Each of those embodiments account for in total twenty percent of the magic in our world, the rest is scattered, unobtainable energy; otherwise known as the magic within all life. That unobtainable magic is what the elements of harmony use, which is why they are so powerful.

“So was that enough backstory for you Twilight?” Luna asked.

“Yes. But it still doesn't answer my question, and I am part of the whole magical thing!”

“I will explain that later, but now I have to continue where I left off.” Luna paused. “Is that okay?”

“Yes” Twilight immediately answered.

“Okay now where was I.” Luna searched her memory, going back to the previous conversation. “Oh, yes! Now I remember, lots of bandits and not so nice ponies, among other species.” Luna took a breath. “So, as I stated Darkness broke into trillions of fragments. Yes?”

Twilight nodded.

“Well these fragments could accumulate into beings of corruption, or plant seeds within the minds of ponies.” Luna grimaced slightly. “It happened to me… but that is beside the point. Before there was an Equestria, there was a continent that was riddled with war and hate. Celestia and I attempted to change that, we formed a small nation-state within the Everfree. Surrounding us were monsters, bandits, and other kingdoms. The griffons, were the bane of ponies, they fed upon them and easily snatched them off the ground. Pegasi were proud warriors, they could fight the griffons, but they were unorganized and outnumbered. Celestia and I brought in hundreds of Pegasi, Earth ponies, and Unicorns. We continued to bring them in and create lives for them, after fifty years we had thousands. We trained the strong, and took care of the weak. Celestia negotiated while I defended.” Luna paused to see if Twilight had any questions.

“When does Discord come in?” Twilight asked. “Because the time period sounds Discordant.”

“It was indeed, and soon.” Luna collected her thoughts. “So, as I was saying, Celestia was the diplomat. Many of my small raids had destroyed and discouraged bandit activities. Our nation was a fairly safe place. Soon all sorts of species began to enter our state, but we were running out of room, without a city we had no real place to call home. It was then that certain kingdoms became jealous, all of what is now Equestria used to be ‘ruled’ by the Griffon empire. I say ruled the way I do, because technically Discord ruled. But anyway the griffons became very jealous, we had wealth, food, and stability. So they declared war. We fought them back, Celestia especially, I controlled the troops, but Celestia was an unstoppable force. As the griffons rained down from the sky, killing our troops. She would take off, her white and gold armour sparkling in the sunlight, and her lance spinning cutting down any who trod to close. It was, however, still seemingly hopeless. The griffons outnumbered us ten to one. They were relentless, we lost hundreds, and even though they as well lost hundreds. There was nothing we could do, we were pushed back, the very castle at our backs, thousands of ponies crammed into its depths. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was the most significant battle in the history of Equestria. It was also,in fact, the battle when Celestia and I determined the extent of our immortality and our power. ”

Flashback

There were five hundred of us, and at least five thousand of them. The pegasi were grounded, the castle was surrounded. A thin line of ponies was all that stood between an army of griffons. Clouds covered the evening sky. I looked over at my sister, she had a look of dread on her face. We knew that this would eventually happen, but now it was happening, and there was nothing to be done. The griffon army would not even give us a chance to surrender. I held my sword in my magical grasp, unicorns held spears and javelins by the dozens ready to launch them into the mass of flesh and feathers. Earth Ponies stood their ground, weapons in their mouths. Pegasi held lances under their wings, ready to charge the opponent. It was a hopeless fight no amount of training or magic could have prevented it. Yet when I looked back at my sister, the dread had been turned to determination.

“Today!” Celestia shouted. “Today! We stand! Here at the end! We will show these bloodthirsty marauders, that we! The ponies of Equestria do not fall easy!”

“Yes!” I found myself shouting. “Here at the end! When all is lost! When there is still the most to lose! We shall fight!”

All of our subjects began to cheer, and shout, their morale boosted. We may never be able to win this battle, but we could sure as hay try.

“What do you think you are doing.” Shouted a loud voice. “I am going to watch you ponies burn, then I will feast on your bones.” Blackwing the king of the griffons had appeared. “You believe your pathetic speeches will save these weaklings, no, they will all die, and you will die along with them.” All the griffons began to chant “Blackwing, Blackwing, Blackwing.” Blackwing smiled. “Go get them!” A large roar erupted and the griffons burst forward.

“Fire!” I shouted. Hundreds of spears burst forward, each making their deadly mark on one of the unlucky chargers. I looked over just in time to see Celestia burst into the air with a blast of light. The clouds cleared, and the sun raised to the middle of the sky. Celestia rushed through the griffons, cutting down dozens upon dozens of men. Her lance flashing as it tore through their flesh. Then with a roar she spun it around with all the force her magic could muster, any soldier within ten feet of her was tossed aside. Looking forward I could see the griffons were enclosing us in a semi circle. I had to do something, then I thought… I looked up at one of the towers of our castle. It looked sturdy, but I could see the slight weaknesses, I could sense no life behind the stones, all our subjects were on the lower levels. Mustering all my magic I grabbed the tower cracking it at the top at its point of weakness. I lifted the impossible weight, my reserves cooking out quickly, and with a mighty roar I tossed it into the enemy, throwing a shield in front of my men. Twenty tonnes of stone and mortar crushed and rained down on the griffons, rolling a clean cut through their ranks. I collapsed, but slowly pushed to my hooves. I looked over to find Celestia, and I saw her golden figure fly backward, a spear straight through her chest.

“NO!!!” I shouted, the vengeance and anger filling my body… With a massive wave of magic I crushed nine hundred griffons into nothing. The moon rose, blotting out the sun in an eclipse…. Rage shook my features, I felt my magic build, my vision cut out, my hearing gone, blood trickled from my nose, and I brought it down upon them…. A starfall, a flaming ball of rock, hurling through the atmosphere…. The world exploded… thousands of griffon lives extinguished. More than half of their entire army wiped out in a second… my magic protected my subjects, but I was severely weakened. The last thing that I saw was my sister, ripping out the spear with her magic and healing herself . I was glad she was okay, I had no idea how she could be, but I was glad, and then I passed out.

“Princess Luna, please ma’am. You must get up.” A distant voice called, no, one of my generals. I felt my vision return, and I shakily got to my hooves. There was a dull clanging somewhere behind me. I turned… the griffon army had backed off, a massive crater, a scar in the battlefield sat where many of the griffons once stood. I looked left, toward the clanging, Celestia, was fighting with Blackwing. The eclipsed half light shadowing the world. Her lance was deflecting his blows. In his mighty talons he clutched a scimitar, and was standing on his hind legs, using his massive wings for balance.

“You cannot defeat me pony!” Blackwing jeered. “You are nothing!”

“I am Celestia, I was born in the sunfire itself, I am the bringer of light, the harbinger of harmony, and you shall burn!” Celestia’s horn erupted in light... the ground below her cracked from the heat her body was giving off. Flames filled her eyes… her mane turned to molten magic…. Blackwing swung at the defenseless Celestia, as she made no attempt to block. The very iron of his sword began to melt the heat binding the metal to his flesh. He screamed out in terror and pain. Rushing forward Celestia impaled him on the end of her horn, and he cracked and sizzled as he cooked from the inside out. Tossing the once griffon king aside, Celestia shouted. “Leave this place griffons! I claim this land from sea to sea! Any whom reside shall be under my protection, and those who attempt to harm them shall burn.”

In a mass of panic griffons took to the sky, fleeing toward the east.

“Sister.” I called weakly. “Sister you are okay.”

Celestia turned relief covering her face, the vengeance gone. “Lulu, I thought you had perished.” She looked at me. “Your mane has stopped flowing.”

“Yes sister.” I coughed. “It would seem as I am going to need to take a bit of a rest, I have extended my reserves.”

End Flashback

“You killed all those griffons, and Celestia cooked their leader while he was still alive?” Twilight asked a grimace on her face, as she imagined an angry, vengeful Celestia. “How did you take all those lives? How did Celestia take all those lives?

“It was not easy, and it will haunt me forever.” Luna sighed deeply. “I suppose, I did what I had to, I thought Tia was dead, I was so mad, so vengeful.” Luna looked at Twilight. “As for Celestia… she is the best of us all, our power is equal, but she would do anything for Equestria. However I do not think she would ever, kill that many again, unless she had to… Celestia is better at dealing with things then I am… she is the perfect one, today was the first time in over 2000 years that I saw her cry.”

“Do you think you could continue on with the story, I don’t want to dwell on this subject very long.” Twilight asked, a pleading look in her eyes. “Talk of so much death makes me nauseous. Especially when it involves Celestia.”

“Yes Twilight, I will continue. That is one of the darker battles we ever fought in, and we will never bring that much death upon an army again.” Luna paused. “So, where was I, ah, yes. With the griffons defeated, they soon fled across the ocean back to their original homeland. It then became apparent that Discord would be a problem, so Celestia and I, after we had recovered, gathered the Elements of Harmony.” Luna saw Twilight put her hoof up like a school filly. “What do you have to use the washroom or something.” Luna teased with a giggle.

“No! I just wanted to know who wielded which Elements.” Twilight said in mock anger sticking her nose high into the air.

Luna rolled her eyes. “We both had the capability of wielding all of them, so it was normally just mix and match.”

“Oh” said Twilight, slightly disappointed that there was not an epic tale behind who wielded what.

Luna rolled her eyes again. “Now Twilight I am sure that you know the rest. Correct?”

“Yes” Twilight said. “Now you have to tell me all about this whole six powers thing.”

“Okay. So, the six powers are, Love, Darkness, Chaos, Magic, the Sun, and the Moon. Each of these powers are equal in relativity. However Magic, Darkness and Love are variable.”

“So.” Asked Twilight. “What does that mean.”

“It means Twilight that you have potential.” Luna paused looking for the words. “The most potential. Magic is an energy that exponentially grows, as are love and darkness.” Luna’s brow furrowed as she tried to explain the situation. “Okay, so Celestia raises the sun, and I the moon. Discord is a being based off of a set amount. However, you, and Cadence are variables, your power grows with age, albeit it is very slow growth. It means that technically you have infinite power.”

Twilight stood looking at Luna with her jaw dropped. “Luna, but how can I have infinite power, won't I die before there is any noticeable growth.” Twilight questioned.

“You mean to tell me that Celestia has not told you?” Luna heaved a heavy sigh.

“Told me what?” Twilight questioned, worry growing on her features.

“You are immortal Twilight, like Cadence, like me, and like Celestia.” Luna stated.

“What!?” Twilight shouted. “But, I dont want to be! What about my friends, my family! How can I watch them fade!?”

“I am sorry Twilight, but to offer some condolences, I will always be there. I also believe your friends will stick with you as long as our world exists.”

“But they can’t be immortal, they are not Alicorns.”

“No, but Twilight. Hmm, I will have to explain immortality to you.” Luna looked at Twilight. “Is this okay?”

“Yes Luna.”

“Okay then, so, Celestia is immortal because she is the sun, and I am immortal because I am the moon. Cadence is immortal, because love will always exist. Discord is immortal because chaos will always exist. You are immortal because magic will always exist.” Luna paused. “Your friends, and you as well, are the Elements of Harmony, and I mean this literally. You have become the Elements, their magic flows within your beings, and therefore as long as friendship exists, you shall exist.”

“Okay, so my friends are all immortal?” Twilight asked tentatively. “Because I have no idea how the hay I am going to tell them that.”

“It may indeed be difficult, but if I may suggest that it is better to tell them earlier.” Luna said.

“I know Luna, and I will.” Twilight was the one who sighed this time… “Do you think you could tell me a bit about Discord… you said that he is Chaos, or at least a large fragment of chaos.”

“Indeed he is. Discord is the oldest of all of us. I believe that he is also the wisest. Though he may act like a fool, Discord always has a plan… he knew we would defeat him. I believe that until just recently, he had darkness in his heart. The Discord before was cruel, not silly… he used to make it rain fire, not choclate rain. He used to kill for fun, not play practical jokes.” Luna shuddered slightly. “He always did have a few days where he acted childishly… like the day we imprisoned him, but normally he was a vengeful, and evil god.”

“Oh.” Squeaked Twilight. “So how old is he would you think?” Twilight questioned hoping to bring up a more innocent conversation.

Luna sighed seeing Twilights reluctance to know anything dark, but decided to allow her to keep her naivety for the time being. After all, the world was much darker the longer you grew up, why should Twilight have to know any sooner. “Discord I believe is quite old… how old? I cannot say for sure. Rumor says he has lived for a million years, but I would assume that he is at least ten thousand. Still, however, you would do better to ask him yourself.”

“Ok. Um, could we stop talking about all of this now. It is kind of heavy.” Twilight asked.

“Of course Twilight, you asked and I answered. You can tell me to stop whenever, knowledge is as much of a curse, as it is a blessing.

Twilight hugged Luna. “Thank you though, I am glad you came with me. Otherwise I might have cause mass panic.”

Luna kissed Twilight. “It will be fine. Now, we need to figure out what to do for the rest of the day.”

“Oh ok, well. Um, I do have to go find Spike. Then talk with him a little. I suppose I should also talk with Applejack, and get some Apples, because I am running low.”

“Ok then, it shall be a day out on the town!” Luna looked excited. “I rarely get out of the castle. This will be fun, I can’t wait to see the looks on everypony’s face when I am walking around.”

***

Fluttershy was walking into the market, Angel was cuddled up in her mane. Angel was going with Fluttershy so that he could pick out his reward. After all he had been a good bunny. In the distance Fluttershy could see Carrot Tops stand. Lightly trotting towards her destination, Fluttershy looked over to see Rarity helping Applejack setting up the apple stand. She would check that out after she got Angel his reward.

Fluttershy trotted up to the counter of Carrot’s booth. “Hello Carrot, I am getting a reward for Angel today. Um, do you have anything he might be interested in.” Fluttershy politely asked.

“Oh good morning Fluttershy, and I have just the thing.” Carrot Top smiled before reaching down and pulling out a small carrot cake. “Will this do.”

Fluttershy smiled. “Maybe, what do you think Angel, is this what you wanted.” Angel nodded his head rapidly. “Alright, what will that be Carrot.”

“Five bits please Fluttershy.” Fluttershy reached into her saddlebag and pulled out five bits.

“Here you go Carrot, and thank you.” Angel grabbed his reward and began hobbling home.

“No problem Fluttershy. After all Angel is my biggest customer.” Carrot Top smiled in the bunnys direction.

“Alright take care Carrot.” Fluttershy started to make her way to Applejacks stand where Rarity was now helping to sell apples.

“Hello Rarity, hello Applejack.” Fluttershy called making her way towards her friends.

“Oh hello darling.” Rarity greeted.

“Hello Fluttershy.” Applejack drawled tipping her hat.

“Have you seen Dashie, she said she would meet me here.” Fluttershy questioned.

“Ah-” Applejack was interrupted by a blur of Rainbow.

“Hello Flutters.” Rainbow kissed her marefriend. “You miss me?” Rainbow said a flirty tone.

Fluttershy giggled blushing a bit. “Yes I did Dashie.” Fluttershy nuzzled into her marefriends multi coloured mane.

“Well sorry ta interrupt ya two.” Applejack joked. “But what brings yall around my way. Ya need some apples.”

“Oh, yes actually.” Said Fluttershy blushing slightly. “I have been running rather low.”

“Well then darling, how many do you require?” Rarity inquired.

“Rarity… since when do you help run this apple stand?” Rainbow Dash questioned.

“Ah invited her to help out today Rainbow.” Answered Applejack.

“Oh ok.” Rainbow said satisfied with the answer. “Sorry about interrupting Flutters, so how many apples do we need.”

“Um, about a dozen should do.” Fluttershy paused. “If thats possible.”

“Alrighty then, one dozen apples coming right up.” Applejack began. “Rarity, if you please.”

Rarity counted out twelve apples with her magic and levitated them gently into Fluttershys saddle bags. “There you are darling, one dozen apples, that will be six bits.” Rarity gave a smile.

Fluttershy payed for the apples. “Well girls, what do you have planned for today.”

“Not much, I was hoping to talk with Twilight later.” Rarity said a grimace appearing slightly on her face.

“Well you’re in luck.” Rainbow Dash pointed out across the market. “Here she comes now, and… is that Princess Luna with her.”

“Hello girls, how are you.” Twilight began, ponies all around noticing the dual royalty near them, and bowing to show their respect. “Princess Luna is going to be staying around a little longer. So I thought we would come say hello to everypony.” Twilight looked about. “I thought for sure Pink-”

“Hiya, everypony! And hello to you Princess Luna! I heard Twilight talking about me! So I thought ‘hey what if they need me over there’ and then I thought ‘well that wouldn't be good, cause I’m not there.’ but now I am here! So what did you all need Auntie Pinkie for!” Pinkie blathered out.

“Hello Pinkie. We just wanted to say hello to you.” Twilight said looking over at Luna. “Now that we are all here, how about we arrange a meet up at the Library this afternoon.” Twilight looked at Luna again, noticing that she was nervous.

“Okie Dokie Loki.” Pinkie giggled out. “Ill be there.” Pinkie took off almost as quickly as she came.

“Sure Twilight.” Applejack started. “What time should we meet up at.”

“Count Fluttershy and I in.” Rainbow Dash said, and Fluttershy nodded in agreement.

“Well okay girls, if you want to pop by around two, that would be best.” Twilight stated. “If that works of course.” Twilight added politely.

A chorus of agreement was directed towards Twilight. “Okay then girls, I will see you all then.” Twilight paused. “Oh! Applejack, could I get a dozen apples please, and has anypony seen Spike around?”

“Of course Twilight, and no, last I saw him was at breakfast this morning at Raritys, he ran off to play with the rest of the Crusaders.”

“Oh ok.” Twilight payed her six bits, while Rarity placed the apples in her saddlebags. “If anypony sees Spike, tell him I am at the Library.”

“Goodbye everypony, it was nice to see you all again.” Luna said quietly. Becoming almost as shy as Fluttershy herself when surrounded by ponies, who she thought would judge her. Twilight and Luna began to make there way back towards the Library.

Once they were out of earshot of the other four Twilight looked over at Luna. “Are you okay.”

“I don’t know Twilight. It is very hard for me to talk with other ponies.” Luna paused. “Especially with your friends, I feel as though I will do something wrong.

“While you are here in Ponyville, we will work on that.” Twilight smiled bumping into Luna intentionally. “For now let’s head back to the Library and have some tea.”

***

Celestia was walking with her new Captain, they had just left Twilight and Luna from the dining hall. She was looking forward to spending the day with Luna. Still, she had a country to run, and protect. Celestia let out a sigh, right now the Captain was leading her to a more private location to discuss details. Celestia, guessed they would probably end up in the meeting room.

“Your highness, this way please.” The Captain led Celestia into the meeting room. “Now we may discuss the matter further.”

“Well, I would like to know why and where the summit is being called.” Celestia paused. “By why I mean in more depth, there must have been more information that a simple ‘you have broken the bond of peace’, we must have done something.”

“I am afraid that I have told you all the letter says; the Captain proved his point by reading out the letter. ‘Equestria must answer, they have broken the bonds of peace, this is the last straw. War will follow, a summit is called in the spire of the sea.’”

Celestia scoffed. “Well at least they have the decency to call the summit on neutral ground.” Celestia paused. “When does the summit begin?”

“We are waiting upon notification.” The Captain paused. “I just have a question ma’am, do you think this will come to war?”

Celestia sighed. “It may very well come to that… You are dismissed Captain. Speak with me immediately if you get anything new.”

The Captain gave a quick bow, and trotted out of the room leaving Celestia alone. “What am I going to do.” Celestia said under her breath.

“I don’t know miss princess. Why don’t you tell me.” A voice echoed around the room. “Now, now Celly. It can’t be that bad. After all you beat them once… I am sure a second time will be a sinch.”

“Discord! Show yourself. I am not in the mood for your antics.” Celestia sighed. “Although, your counsel would be appreciated. You after all must have see wars like this…. At some point in your long life.”

Discord popped into reality. “Why of course I have… Everyone who was in your position lost. I mean you know as well as I that no matter what you do, they will fight you.” Discord laughed. “I mean the only way that you could win this fight is by letting me fight, letting Luna fight, letting your precious student fight, letting Cadenza fight, and of course fighting yourself.” Discord paused. “But there is no way I would ever fight for this cause. No way any of us would.” Discord sighed. “They are mortal Celestia, they will never understand.”

“Discord.” Celestia sighed “I will fight if I have to, and Luna will as well, but I won’t let Twilight or Cadence. They don't need the blood on their hooves.”

“None of us do Celestia… none of us do.” Discord sighed, actually looking wise for once. “I have lived for twenty five thousand years. More than five times longer than you.” Discord frowned. “Eventually one gets so much blood on their hooves, or hands, whatever… that they have to learn to wash it off.”

“Discord.” Celestia said, feeling pity for the draconus. “How long have you been alone.”

“Celestia.” Discord smirked. “I am never alone.” Discord then smiled longingly. “I have been lonely though for a long time.”

“Does it get any easier.” Celestia asked panning out her future. Hoping to get some answers.

“No.” Discord paused. “But then again, I wouldn’t really know.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t have friends, or at least I didn’t until a short while ago.” Discord shrugged. “Maybe, just maybe it is easier when you are not lonely.”

“Sometimes, you are so wise.” Celestia chuckled. “And sometimes you are a bloody fool.” Celestia paused becoming serious again. “How? How do I stop them from wanting to fight?”

“That Celestia, is something you have to do alone.” Discord chortled. “I mean you are the best at it. Besides, if it comes down to it remind them of their defeat. I am sure that you will be able to at least slow the gears of war, if not stop it completely.”

“Thank you Discord.” Celestia smiled. “Your words of wisdom are appreciated.”

“If so, Celestia. Then maybe you will heed these words.” Discord paused completely serious. “You need to sort out the problems in your own head… last night… you can’t do that.” Discord sighed. “You can’t bottle it up and scheme…. It just doesn't work.” Discord finished with his speech turned to dust fading into the world without a trace.

“Your Majesty, the summit waits upon your arrival.” The Captain bowed. “We have received word, they wait impatiently for you to arrive… shall I prepare a chariot.”

“No Captain, that will not be necessary.” In a flash of light Celestia had gone.

Author's Note:

So guys I hope you enjoyed it. It took a bit longer than I expected, but alas, these things happen. Well as always feel free to comment. Next chapter might be a little while because I am going to rewrite chapter one, and possibly two, just to make them better.

Comments ( 3 )

Really cute chapter! Also, i got i little error:

“How about we get up and make some breakfast Dashie, and then head to the market. I have to get Angle a reward for being a good bunny.”

Angel. Just that. But, good chapter. Give me some "awwwwwws!". I can't wait for the next!

4642883
Thanks for pointing that out! I have fixed it up. Glad you are enjoying. :pinkiehappy:

And I'm still waiting for that one... And I never got it... :applecry:

Login or register to comment