• Published 2nd Feb 2014
  • 1,171 Views, 16 Comments

The Immortal Question - jdb1984



Princess Twilight learns a secret about alicorns, and has to make a decision about her own morality.

  • ...
10
 16
 1,171

Chapter 4

Midway through the following morning, Celestia stepped inside Twilight’s room to find her still asleep, the papers scattered around her sleeping form. After picking them up and placing them on the desk, she gave a gentle nudge to Twilight’s sleeping form.

“Mmmm...five more minutes, Mom...” Twilight murmured in her sleep, waving a hoof.

Celestia gave a slight smile, as she leaned in close and whispered, “You’re going to be late for school.”

“WHAT?” Twilight yelled, as she sat straight up in bed. She pulled her sheets off, leaped out of bed, and ran around the room, looking for multiple items.

“There’s my quills. I think I have enough parchment. Where’s my workbook? Oh, I hope Princess Celestia isn’t cross with me...” Twilight said, before hearing a giggle. Turning, her mind woke up and brought her to the present, as she saw Celestia trying not to laugh out loud. “Princess!”

“I’m sorry, Twilight,” Celestia said amidst her laughter. “I just had to. You wouldn’t believe some of the pranks Luna and I play on each other.”

“Well, then, I guess I’ll have to talk to Pinkie and see about getting you back,” Twilight said with a smile.

“I look forward to it,” Celestia answered. “Come on, we can have a late breakfast.

“But don’t you have Sun Court?” Twilight asked, looking out at the sun, trying to determine the current time.

“It’s still a couple of hours away. And even if it wasn’t, I am the leading authority in Equestria,” Celestia answered. “I control when the Sun Court starts, even if my little ponies think otherwise.”

---
As the walked down the hall, talking about random topics, one leading into another, Celestia suddenly paused. Twilight stopped walking as well, and watched as Celestia looked around, then cast a spell.

“Something wrong, Princess?” she asked.

“Just making sure nobody can overhear us,” she said, before she leaned in close and whispered. “Have you given any thought to what we discussed last night?”

“I have, Princess,” she answered with a nod, just as quietly. With some nervousness in her voice, she said, “I’m sorry, but I’m going to decline.”

Celestia gave a nod of acceptance, as she said, “You didn’t have to be so nervous about your answer. I told you from the beginning, the choices were yours and yours alone. It also means Luna owes me 20 bits. Now...”

“Wait, did you two...bet on what my decision would be?” Twilight asked, interrupting her former teacher.

“In a sense, we did,” Celestia answered. “After you left, we had a...discussion, shall we say, over what you would pick. Luna thought that you would pick yes, because of what we share. I was sure you would decline, because of the friendship you share with your friends. She finally told me to put my money where my muzzle is, and I agreed. Now, may I ask why?”

“It’s because of my friends. Like you said last night, it’s part of being an immortal, to see everyone you know eventually pass. I didn’t think I could handle it, knowing I would be here while everyone I know would eventually be gone.”

“Which is why I thought you might decline,” Celestia said, as she stood again. "Come now, breakfast awaits.

---
After a breakfast filled with eating and general small talk, Twilight went over to a carriage that would bring her home. Celestia was there to see her off, then went inside the castle to attend to her duties. As the pegasi pulling the carriage took off and left Canterlot’s city limits, Twilight turned in her seat and looked at the buildings and the castle, watching them grow ever smaller.

It was a hard decision, but I know I made the correct one. Eternal life, or at least one where I won’t die from old age, does have it’s advantages. But I know none of that, or none of the things I would experience, would mean anything without my friends around.

Celestia and Luna have to bear the pain that comes with it, the pain of everyone they know passing on. And that’s a pain that may never fade. Someday, I may have to bear that pain myself, but if Fluttershy is right, that means I will see my friends again, even if they're not here in Equestria. I just hope that when my time comes, my friends and the princesses will be able to handle it. It's strange that an offer to live forever made me reflect on how mortal everypony is.

Since all of us have only a limited time here, we need to make the most of it. We need to spend our limited time with our friends, and with others that care about us. I don't know what the future holds, or when my time comes, but I'll make sure I leave it with no regrets.

She turned back towards her home, towards her future, and towards Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Finally finished this up, later than I wanted.

Comments ( 3 )

Twilight, I notice, didn't consider the inverse situation with her friends: that, as a mortal, she might pass before them, leaving them without her. I suppose that's a natural bit of selfishness that all people (and ponies) have. :twilightsmile:

You spelled 'Cadance' wrong throughout the second chapter, btw. :twilightsheepish:

6514207

She actually did.

I just hope that when my time comes, my friends and the princesses will be able to handle it.

And thanks for the correction.

6514224 I sit corrected, dunno how I missed that. :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment