• Published 2nd Feb 2014
  • 1,171 Views, 16 Comments

The Immortal Question - jdb1984



Princess Twilight learns a secret about alicorns, and has to make a decision about her own morality.

  • ...
10
 16
 1,171

Chapter 1

“Okay, since there are six keyholes, and six of us, that may mean that our individual key may be hidden in a place that makes sense to that particular pony,” Twilight said, as she jotted down some notes.

It was a quiet evening in the Golden Oaks library. The smell of whatever Spike was preparing for dinner filled the area where Twilight was working on figuring out the box. The whole thing with the castle, their personal lives, and a detour into a comic book world had meant that no progress was made in finding anything.

“But whoever made the box is unknown to even Princess Celestia, so the box could be even older than she is. So the keys have to be hidden in old locations, yet somehow make sense for our key. Could somepony see that far into the future and know...” Twilight kept saying to herself, before a familiar burp came from the kitchen.

Her suspicions were confirmed when Spike walked in, a scroll with a familiar seal clutched in his claw. Twilight took the scroll from him with her magic, broke the seal, and unrolled it

My dearest Twilight,

I know that you are working hard to find information on the mysterious box, as well as trying to fix up my old castle. While I do not want to deter you from either task, there is a matter of grave importance that we must discuss. You should come as soon as you can, pack to stay overnight at least (and I do NOT want to see you pack enough books for a week-long stay), and come alone.

The only thing you may tell your friends and Spike, if they ask, is that you have an important meeting with me in Canterlot. I know I’m being secretive, and you know I would not do that If I didn’t have a good reason for doing so. More will be explained upon your arrival.

Your former teacher,
Celestia.

Twilight put down the letter, her mind whirling with thoughts about what a secret meeting could be. She grabbed her saddlebag and looked at everything that was in there, before shaking her head and putting the items back in. As she pulled books from the shelves, as well as extra ink and quills, Spike looked out from the kitchen to see what the commotion was.

“What’s going on?” he asked.

“I have an important meeting with the Princess in Canterlot, and they want me to go tonight,” Twilight answered, as she loaded a couple more books and levitated her element to her head. “Save my portion in the fridge, and I’ll be back sometime tomorrow at the earliest,”
---
In Canterlot, a lone Royal Guard rushed into the throne room, removed his helmet, and bowed to the princesses sitting and waiting in front of the royal thrones.

“Your majesties, Princess Twilight has arrived,” he announced.

“Show her in, immediately,” Celestia told him.

The guard turned around and nodded to another two that stood in front of the doors. They went forward and opened the double doors to let Twilight in.

As she walked forward, her saddlebags bulging with books and other random items, she noticed one of the stained glass windows was new, depicting herself and her friends banishing the vines with the Elements and the Tree of Harmony. Then her gaze fell on the three ponies on the other end of the room.

There was Celestia, as she expected. Twilight also noticed that Luna was there, which made sense, given the time. But the third was the unexpected but not unwelcome presence of...

“Cadance!” Twilight called out, dropping her heavy saddlebags and running towards her with a smile on her face. With a smile of her own, Cadance went forward herself, knowing full well what was coming. The two of them met a few feet in front of the thrones.

“Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake. Clap your hooves and do a little shake,” they both sang, going through the familiar motions before falling back and giggling.

As Luna smiled watching the two of them go through their ritual, Celestia stepped past the two of them and looked down at the saddlebags that Twilight brought with her.

“It seems that you kind of followed my directions. I think you packed enough for five days this time,” she said with a small smile, levitating the bags to a nearby guard. “Put these in Twilights old room in the observatory, have the entire night court cancelled, and make sure nobody enters this room until myself or Luna say so.”

The guard, straining a bit under the weight of the saddlebags, just gave a nod before making his way out the door, closing it behind him. As soon as he left, Twilight turned to the three princesses standing before her.

“So, what’s going on?” she asked. “You weren’t very forthcoming with information in your letter.”

“It was needed,” Celestia said. “Twilight, what we are about to discuss must never leave this room. You can’t even tell your friends or Spike what happens here.”

“But why? You know my friends won’t say a word if you tell them not to,” Twilight replied.

“I trust your friends won’t say anything deliberately, but I cannot take that risk. There's always a chance that something could slip out,” Celestia replied. “Trust me on this, Twilight. If even one pony finds out what we discuss, the result could be chaos. It could even be deadly to some of my little ponies.”

Twilight’s mind raced, trying to figure out what it could be that has Celestia so worried, with nightmare scenario after nightmare scenario coming to her, none of them pretty. Knowing and trusting her teacher wouldn’t do this unless she believed what she said, Twilight looked up and her and nodded.

“I won’t breathe a word to anyone,” she declared with a nod. “But I need to know what it is we have to discuss.”

“It deals with a gift that is presented to all alicorns. Myself, Luna, and even Candace have been offered this gift ourselves, which is why I brought them here,” Celestia said, nodding to each of them in turn. “It is completely your choice on whether you wish to take this gift, since it is a wonderful gift to some, and a curse to others. It is the gift of Immortality.”

Author's Note:

Yes, I'm writing something else on the side, giving me something when I want to take a break from writing about foals and work on something with more adult ponies present. This will only be a few chapters long (3-4, depending on how much I put into each chapter). I've also been considering doing an overhaul of Dark Genie, the first story that I posted on this site (Lord knows it could use it).

Anyways, hope you enjoy.