• Published 2nd Feb 2014
  • 1,171 Views, 16 Comments

The Immortal Question - jdb1984



Princess Twilight learns a secret about alicorns, and has to make a decision about her own morality.

  • ...
10
 16
 1,171

Chapter 2

“Immortality?” Twilight asked, her mind spinning with questions. “You mean, I could live forever from a spell?”

“Mostly,” Celestia answered. “A fatal wound or a terminal illness could still kill you just as much as it could any other pony. The spell will stop you from aging, as well as improving your bodies natural defenses. So you will never age, and common diseases will be nothing to you.”

Twilight wasn't sure what to think. What little information she was able to dig up on alicorns was never able to pinpoint whether they could die. Some have theorized that they have longer lifespans, much longer than any living pony. Others have said that they are immortal, and one writer even suggested a secret age reducing spell.

She did see some of the benefits of immortality right away. She could rule alongside the princesses, and see how their decisions help shape Equestria far into the future. She would have all the time she would ever need to read every book ever written.

“There is a reason we do not want this information to reach the general population,” Luna said, cutting into Twilight’s thoughts. “We fear that if ponies learned of the spell, the reaction would not be favorable, for us or them.”

“If our little ponies found out, they would come to the castle in droves,” Celestia added. “They would demand that we either use the spell on them, or release it for general use. But only Luna and myself can harness the amount of magical energy needed, and even then, the heavenly bodies need to be in the right place for the energy. There are also the side effects...”

“Side effects?” Twilight cut in.

“That’s why I came, to make sure you got information from both sides. There was one side effect that I felt I couldn’t live with, which is why I rejected the gift,” Cadance told her.

“And that is...” Twilight asked.

“If you choose to accept the gift, Twilight, it will make you completely barren. You will be unable to have any foals of your own, ever,” Cadance answered. “Being the Princess of Love, I knew that the love I felt, and what your brother felt for me, was real. I wanted to grow old with him, and also wanted to have his foals. And...”

Cadance trailed off, but Twilight caught what she was getting at.

“Wait...Cadance, you’re...” Twilight asked.

“Yes. I found out only a week ago myself. But yes, I’m pregnant,” she answered.

“Cadance, that’s wonderful news,” Twilight answered, running up and nuzzling against her, before looking up at her. “Any names yet?”

“Well, Shining wants to name the foal Twila, after you. Though I do kind of like the name, I was thinking of the name Skyla, since Twila may make things a bit confusing,” Cadance said.

“Not as confusing as your mother having the same first name,” Twilight remarked, then shifted her gaze to Cadance’s belly. “Hello in there. I’m your aunt Twilight, and I’ll be glad to meet you when you come out.”

The other three shared a bit of a chuckle, before Celestia’s expression became serious again, remembering that they had an important matter to finish discussing.

“You already know one of the side effects. The second concerns your mane and tail,” she continued.

“My mane and tail?” Twilight asked, instinctively bringing a hoof up to her mane to make sure nothing happened to it.

“Like the mane that myself and Luna have, your mane and your tail will grow long and may even change color as it does, while also instantly growing back if something happens to it,” Celestia explained. “However, it will grow as you grow, so it will not get to a point where it will be unmanageable.”

“Well, that’s good,” Twilight answered, bringing her hoof back down. “Anything else?”

“I think you know what we are going to say next,” Celestia said, with a hint of sorrow.

“I’ll outlive my friends and everyone I know?” Twilight guessed. “Even Spike will eventually die, and I’ll still be here, the same as I always was.”

“Yes, Twilight,” Celestia answered, with some sadness in her eyes. “But myself and Luna will always be here with you, if you choose to accept. During our long history, both of us have made many friends, and we have had to watch all of them succumb to old age and eventually pass. It is one of the saddest parts, but it can be rewarding to sometimes see their legacy continue. One day, you could even have a magic student of your own, and you could find yourself teaching the next Star Swirl.”

“Or the next Sunset Shimmer,” Twilight added.

“That is true. But when you show them the path, it is up to them whether they take it, or go their own way. You took the path I showed you, and Sunset Shimmer decided to take a different route,” Celestia answered. “I know that we gave you a lot to think about, and your mind must be trying to file it all away and come up with a course of action.”

She was right. Twilight’s mind was trying to pack a lot of information away. But since she was a rational pony, and liked to have all the information she needed up front, she wouldn't have it any other way.

“I-I’ll sleep on it,” Twilight finally answered.

Celestia nodded, as she said, “Your old room is still as you left it, and you can stay there for the night. You have time, and the celestial bodies are in the right place to give Luna and myself the energy to perform the ritual. But they will only be in place for about 30 more hours. Because of the time frame, I do not want you to leave the castle until you have made a decision.”

Twilight nodded and took the long walk back to the door of the throne room. As the double doors opened to let her pass, and closed behind her, the three princesses looked at each other. They all did their part, now it was up to Twilight to decide what happens.

Author's Note:

I'd like to know what you would tell Twilight if you heard about her choice. It won't affect the story, but I just want to hear your thoughts.