• Published 16th Oct 2011
  • 2,957 Views, 20 Comments

Love Conquers All - Saatchi



When Rainbow Dash disappears, Applejack sets out to rescue her. But is everything as it seems?

  • ...
5
 20
 2,957

One Final Thing

Three months had past since the incident with Volo, and Rainbow Dash had spent each day under medical supervision. After Applejack had collapsed in the Everfree Forest from her fight with Volo, Twilight had carried both ponies to the Ponyville Urgent Response Centre. That had been the last time that Rainbow had seen Applejack, they were split up, and sent to separate wards. Time and time again, Rainbow requested to visit Applejack, but each time she had been given the same response.
No.
Today was going to be different however; today she was going to see her friend after all this time. At this moment she laid in a bed, on a ward which was empty, all but herself. Around her, various instruments checked her vital signs, storing information for the medics to use later. She was lying in wait for someone to come and discharge her. A nurse had claimed that someone would be there to meet her in ten minutes. That was over two hours ago, and Rainbow Dash was becoming impatient. To her relief, a stallion burst into the room, crossing to Rainbow's bed. He was dressed in a white lab coat, while his cutie mark, a needle over a cartoon heart, was just visible underneath. He looked incredibly flustered, as though he had simply ran all the way from one side of the centre to the other, just to meet her. He held a clipboard clenched between his teeth. Upon reaching Dash's bed, he laid the clipboard on the bed sheets.

"Good morning Miss Rainbow Dash…" The stallion smiled, a way of enforcing his positive bedside manner.
"It's the afternoon now…" huffed Rainbow Dash.
"Ah, yes, so it is. No matter! All your results seem to be pointing to an all clear. Your strength has returned, and you're still as athletic as before. So you're now officially discharged!" exclaimed the stallion.
Rainbow Dash's features lit up, hearing his words lifted her sour mood. Unfortunately this was short lived, as rain began to pour down outside. The stallion looked outside, and to Rainbow Dash, before looking back outside.
"Of course, you're free to wait around, if you'd rather…"
Then he hurried off, in the same manner he had arrived, returning shortly after departing to pick up his clipboard, before dashing off again. Rainbow Dash got up and out of bed, making her way to the centre of the ward. The weather didn't bother her; after all she wasn't planning on leaving just yet. She took a peek onto out onto the corridor, looking for some sign as to Applejack's location. Realising that something like that was never going to be so obvious, she ventured out into the corridor. She made her way along the numerous corridors, poking her head in and out of various wards, looking for an orange farm pony.

As she entered what seemed to be the umpteenth corridor, she made a discovery. A tall, red stallion with an orange mane, and a small yellow filly, sporting a pink bow, were making their way out of one of the wards. Realising the identities of these ponies led her to believe that she had located Applejack. The two ponies continued making their way down the corridor, before disappearing round a corner. Rainbow Dash wasted little time, and dashed into the ward. The ward itself was as scarce as the one she had stayed in, with the exception of a pony nurse, mulling about in the corner. Rainbow Dash scanned the empty beds, looking for Applejack. At the far end of the room, on the opposite side to the nurse, Rainbow Dash spotted a light brown Stetson hat on the end of the bed. Rainbow Dash made her way towards the bed, not sure what to expect. She inhaled a deep breath, and stood at the foot of the bed. There here gaze rested on the pony that had saved her from a terrible fate. Upon first glance she appeared to be sleeping, she looked so peaceful. Then Rainbow Dash noticed the cuts and bruises, those showed how far this one brave pony had gone to save those she cared about. Rainbow checked the doctor's notes at the foot of Applejack's bed, learning about her current condition.

She skimmed over the notes, only taking in the words that stood out the most.
Comatose.
Minimal chance of survival.
Rainbow Dash gasped as she read the words. She became overcome with sadness and grief for her lover. Tears welled up in her eyes, and were soon rolling down her cheeks.
"Hey Applejack." She smiled weakly. "Can you hear me? I guess it doesn't matter, I came here to talk, and that's what I'm going to do."
She reached out and stroked Applejack's cheek before resuming conversation.
"I felt kind of honoured that you cared so much about me, seeing as though we don't always see eye to eye."
She smiled a weak smile.
"I was so frightened when I was in the Everfree Forest with Volo and Twilight. I hate to admit that I was frightened; I mean it's not something you'd expect. But when you showed up, my spirits lifted, although that was short lived, mainly because Volo began her process on me… I knew the end was coming, but once again, you saved me, right at the last second. Although I don't remember much after that, I just remember feeling cold. Yet there was one thing, it was a warm sensation on my forehead. At first I wasn't sure what it was, but Twilight told me during one of her visits. She said you kissed me…"
Rainbow Dash blushed and buried her head in Applejack's neck.

"That's what you tried to tell me before you ended up like this wasn't it? You were trying to tell me that you loved me…"
Rainbow Dash gave Applejack's cheek a tentative nuzzle and continued speaking.
"Once I realised that's what you had tried to tell me, it was all I could think about. It got me wondering about how I feel about you. I mean I know we're good friends, but I think we can be so much more. I think…"
Rainbow Dash did her best to hug Applejack.
"I love you Applejack." She whispered into Applejack's ear. "And there's something I want to repay…"
Without another word, Rainbow Dash pressed her lips against Applejack's, locking the two in an embrace. For Rainbow Dash the moment felt so good, she closed her eyes and momentarily forgot about her current situation. As she held the kiss, the two ponies who had led her to Applejack returned to Applejack's bedside.
"Ahem…Excuse me Miss?"
Rainbow Dash's eyes shot open, and she slowly turned her head to face the ponies. There, stood behind her, were a rather confused looking, Big Macintosh and Applebloom. Rainbow Dash stopped herself crying, but at the same time she was terribly embarrassed as well.
"Oh…uhm…hi, I should….probably go…now."

Rainbow Dash turned to leave, but a sudden development made her turn back. Applejack's eyelids fluttered, and she muttered a single, broken word.
"Rain…bow?"
Rainbow Dash, Big Mac, and Applebloom's feature lit up with complete surprise. Rainbow Dash rushed back to her side, taking her hoof in hers.
"Applejack!"
Rainbow Dash felt her tears returning, but not from sadness, more so from joy. Applejack opened her eyes, treating Rainbow Dash to one more glimpse of those beautiful green eyes. Rainbow Dash hugged her, prompting Applejack's response.
"Hey sugar cube," she noticed Big Mac and Applebloom. "Hey, the family's here, speakin' of which, where is here?"
Rainbow Dash was too preoccupied to answer her question, so Applebloom took it upon herself.
"Yer at the medical centre sis. Yer've been here fer three months now, we've been worried sick.
As she finished, Applejack could see that she was tearing up, as well as her brother, but they both put on brave faces.
"I only just got discharged this morning…" said Rainbow Dash, as she looked up to Applejack's eyes again "So I went looking for you, just so I could speak to you. Speaking of which, did you hear any of it?"

Applejack rolled her eyes up to the ceiling as she tried to recall the one sided conversation that Rainbow Dash had with her.
"Ah'm not sure, was there somethin' important?"
"There was just one thing…"
Rainbow Dash whispered something into Applejack's ear, causing Applejack's face to change to one of pure glee. Without warning she grabbed hold of Rainbow Dash and pulled her into a loving embrace, locking lips with her as a bonus. Meanwhile Big Macintosh seemed to be a tad embarrassed at his sisters' behaviour, and quickly escorted Applebloom and himself, out of the room, leaving Applejack and Rainbow Dash in peace. Applejack broke the embrace, allowing Rainbow Dash freedom of movement once again.
"I should go, the medics will probably want some time with you, and I wouldn't want to get in the way."
Rainbow Dash took a few steps to leave, but Applejack's voice stopped her.
"Thank ya Rainbow…"
Rainbow Dash nodded, smiled, and exited the ward.
Applejack sighed and looked out of the window. It didn't bother her that she was stuck inside and couldn't go after Rainbow Dash. It was enough satisfaction that Dash loved her back. She continued to look out of the window, and was treated to one of her favourite things. A rainbow streaked its way across the sky; its colour twinkling like it was full of tiny stars. Applejack smiled; there was something about the rainbow, something calming. It made her feel like, despite everything that happened, love really can conquer all…

Comments ( 11 )
#1 · Oct 16th, 2011 · · ·

i squeed like a little filly the first time i read it and i did the same again just there

13790

It's nice to see it can have the same effect the second time round!

I Love It:heart::rainbowkiss:

Beastly I'm looking forward to more of your works:yay:

at like chapter 1 i was all like:rainbowhuh:
the at ch2 :rainbowwild:
ch 3:trixieshiftright:
ch4 :twilightsheepish::pinkiehappy::heart::rainbowkiss:

*sniffle* PURE GENIUS!:rainbowkiss::rainbowkiss::fluttercry::fluttercry::heart::heart:

73853

I'll give it a look, always nice to see some good fight music.

73854
And thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

D'aww so cute...

Great story! Really enjoyed it. :rainbowkiss:

Login or register to comment