• Published 22nd Oct 2013
  • 321 Views, 2 Comments

Twilight's Notes to Celestia - DjDashie



These are some of the notes that Twilight had sent out to Princess Celestia over her years at Ponyville.

  • ...
 2
 321

To Learn...

"I should get going you guys," Twilight yawned. "That was a fun party Pinkie Pie, but all the excitement of Luna's return and the Elements of Harmony is just exhausting."

"I hear ya, sugarcube," Applejack agreed. "I think all of us should go on home and hit the hay."

"Twilight," Rarity started, "You must come by Carousel Boutique tomorrow morning. I want to show you some of the work I do and need some insightful thoughts on my dresses."

"Gee Rarity," Twilight said, "That'd be great. I'll head over there first thing in the morning."

"Wonderful, dear!" Rarity cheered.

"Don't be a stranger around us, Twilight," Fluttershy added. "We know you haven't been here long, but all of us are here for you."

"Yeah!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed, "Just yell Pinkie Pie and I'll be there for you all the way! Pinkie Promise!" She said the words and performed the motions of the sacred Pinkie Promise.

Twilight smiled widely, "And I'm here for all of you." The ponies gathered for one big hug. Twilight felt something. Something that felt like a waterfall was coursing inside her. She knew at that moment she had made her best friends for the first time in her life. She let loose of everypony and yawned once more. "Well Spike. Let's get going!"

"Right," Spike replied. The ponies waved goodbye to each other and headed to their humble abodes. Twilight and Spike could hear Pinkie Pie rambling on about how great the party was as they headed home.

Twilight and Spike arrived at the library several minutes later. Twi shut the door behind her and sighed, "That's one way to make a first impression in Ponyville."

"Yeah," Spike assured, "You're gonna be the talk of the town for a while."

"I'm not sure if I'm ready for this though," Twilight said nervously. "What if I end up blowing it with my new friends? I feel like they're the greatest ponies I've met besides Celestia, my parents, and you. I don't want to let them down."

"Twilight," Spike explained, "The thing about friends is that they'll love you for who you are, not how you please them. If you're worried about it that much, the only suggestion I can recommend is to trust in your instincts. If you trust in them, then they will trust in you. For crying out loud Twi, they're your Elements of Harmony! Did you see how terrifying Nightmare Moon was? Yet all six of you joined together and defeated her as if you've done it before. If that's not friendship, I'm not quite sure what is."

Twilight chuckled, "You're right, Spike. Why am I so worried about this? I know deep down they're going to be amazing ponies."

"That's what I like to hear," Spike said trailed by a yawn. "Well, I'm gonna go to bed. I can't be nodding off tomorrow during our studies. Need anything while I'm still up?"

"I think I have everything I need," Twilight said, "You can go to sleep. I should be up there shortly after I finish my letter to Celestia. We can send it to her in the morning."

"Alright," Spike yawned again, "G'night, Twilight."

"Night, Spike." Spike walked upstairs and went to bed.

Twilight went to her desk and pulled a piece of parchment and a quill from the drawer. "Now where's the ink?" Twilight pondered. She searched through some drawers rustling everything around in the process. She glanced up and saw the ink bottle resting on her windowsill. "Ah, yes. Here it is." She grabbed it, opened the little bottle, dipped the nib into it, and began writing her first letter to Celestia from Ponyville:

Dear Celestia,

Being here in Ponyville has made me most anxious of my studies and my mission you entrusted me with. The strange encounters that took place with some of the ponies and I here in Ponyville have been nerve-wracking. Meeting some of them game me the impression that I would not fit in here in Ponyville. However, as the day drew on, several ponies from Ponyville befriended me after the horrible Nightmare Moon appeared. I didn't accept their request to accompany me on the journey to the Elements of Harmony, but they persisted and came along regardless of my declination. I'm glad they did though, for if they had not, I wouldn't have succeeded in destroying Nightmare Moon.

I've made some wonderful friends from Ponyville as you saw earlier today. This new experience with friendship is extraordinary. Never in my life did I know such happiness could exist in Equestria. Only my family has made me feel this way before, but I suppose this bond between the other five and I is strong as well. Each of them took the liberty to escort me on a dangerous task that I would've surely failed if it had not been for them. Occasionally I feel alone in my duties to learn and discover. The only one to help me on anything of the sort is Spike, but as you said, he will not know all of the mysteries I do not.

Friendship cannot be learned alone though; I realized that today. You need ponies other than yourself to acquire the knowledge of friends. Wings spread far but do not fly without wind.

If you understand something in only one way, then you don’t really understand it at all. The secret of what anything means to us depends on how we've connected it to all other things we know. Well-connected renditions let you turn ideas around in your mind, to envision things from many perspectives until you find one that works for you.

There is much more to learning than facts, data, books, and pure intelligence. As you mentioned in your letter to me before I left Canterlot, experience is a way of acquiring ideas and facts that is sometimes the only way of doing so. I see that now. I see that there will be discoveries I make that have never been published in a book, and there will be times that I cannot do this alone. My friends will be there for me.
Your faithful student, Twilight

Author's Note:

I want to thank Polymath, cognitive scientist Marvin Minsky for being an inspiration in creating this chapter.

Comments ( 2 )

awesome dude! keep up the good work

Login or register to comment