• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 15,415 Views, 1,388 Comments

One Soldier's Twilight - Dr.Shisno



One soldier's journey back home and discovery of a friend

  • ...
62
 1,388
 15,415

Chapter 14

I don't know how long it's been. Hell, I've lost count. We've, Twi and I, been working together, getting me back together, in more or less one piece. I know I won't be dancing anytime soon. I was never a dancer anyways. Even with the cane, I manage to go with walks with Twi every evening. Even stopping by the park for a quick gaze at the stars.

I was eventually discharged with 50% disabilities. It's enough to pay for the groceries and whatnot. And a job at Bill's bar sure does help. I'd never thought that I would be working with the man I called a mentor, a savior. Twi has continued her studies at the local University, though she never asks for money, which surprises me. Though I try to help, my knowledge of Molecular Physics and Russian Literature stop about when it stops becoming English. As much as she tries to explain the ins and outs of early Chinese Philosophy, such as Taoism and Mohism, smile and laugh at what this girl has managed to accomplish, while I have not. Though she nearly kills herself studying for midterms and finals. Though many times I found her asleep on her textbooks and have had to carry her back to bed. Though she often complains of my often terrible jokes, I still love her.

I haven't watched a new episode in forever. Why watch the show, when you have the real thing next to you when you wake up. Having someone waiting for you when you get home from work. Nothing compares to that. Nothing in the world can describe that feeling in your heart, knowing the one you have longed for, the one you've hoped for, it right there with you.

But as of lately, there seems to be a fire lost in Twi. Not in the sense that she's lost interest, but something seems missing. I catch her gazing as the sky, the moon, and the stars more often than usual. She daydreams throughout the day, it's hard not to miss when her head is in the clouds. She seems, out of place and melancholy most days. She hasn't drank a cup of coffee in the past couple of days. Then I realized something, how could I be so selfish. After all this time, how could I have not asked.

She was daydreaming again while trying to study for Chinese Philosophy when I walked in the door from work. I noticed she was somehow entranced she was with the picture of Paul and I on the wall. As I walk into the kitchen, I catch a glimpse of her taking the photo off the wall and staring at it. I grab a glass of water and shamble over to her.

"As one of your Taoist philosopher's would say "The clouded mind sees nothing."" I hand her the water, though she takes the water, she remains focused on the photo.

"Toby, when did you met Paul?" Sipping the water, she put the photo back on the wall, still staring it down.

"A few years, back in basic, We were training on how to attack a bunker. When I suddenly found myself in a hole. A fairly deep hole I might add. Then, I heard a voice say above me "Where did you learn to walk? What were you doing to find yourself here?" I kindly replied that I was too busy eying the scenery. He said something like if there isn't any women, there isn't a scenery to look at, while he pulled me up. I was only thankful that we were stationed together, and then deployed together."

"Toby, when is the last time you had a friend that has been with you for a long time?"

I kinda saw where this was going. I knew where this was going from the start. "Twi, you miss them, don't you?"

"I'm not going to lie to you," Twi spoke quite frankly. "I miss them more than anything. They're my friends that I love and care about. I feel like I've given up on them."

I paused. I knew what had to be done. I put a hand on her shoulder, looked her in the eyes, and spoke just above a whisper. "You can go back, Twi. You should've just said something. I understand what friends mean to you."

She pulled me into a hug. "But I can't just leave you here. I just can't..."

I kissed the top of her head. "Twi, you've already saved me here. I feel the need to return the favor. You can only do so much here. What more philosophy classes can you take? You've done your work here. It's time for you to go. Celestia's report can't be tardy, we wouldn't want that, now would we?"

She managed to smile a bit. "No, that would not be good at all."

"As a Sergeant," I took deep breath, unsure if I wanted to hear the words come out of my mouth. "I know my soldiers and I will always place their needs above my own. In love, people make sacrifices. I know that your friends need you much more than I. No matter how much I want to you here with me. It pains me see you like this. You need to go back."

She looked up at me, tears following. "But... but... I can't do that. There has to be some other way." She looked away for a moment, trying to think of a solution. It only took a few seconds for her face to light up with glee, and a smile grow in her face. "What if I were to take you with me?"

"If you were what?!?"