• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 15,414 Views, 1,388 Comments

One Soldier's Twilight - Dr.Shisno



One soldier's journey back home and discovery of a friend

  • ...
62
 1,388
 15,414

Chapter 24

The sun, peeking itself through the window, woke me from my slumber. Luckily, there was still a smile on my face, because nothing impeded my sleep. No bad dreams, no bad memories resurfacing, just peace. Though, the thoughts of my past week stuck in the cabin with that… crazy mare… still plagued the edges of my mind. Opening my eyes, I could see a tangle of purple hair. The warm weight on my stomach confirmed that which was on top of me. Her quiet, warm breath along neck and chest told me she was still fast asleep. I let my head fall back onto the pillow and quietly wrapped on hoof around the mare on top of me. A sigh of relief was released as I closed my eyes again. It was too early to let a moment like this pass. I knew there were things to be done, like get ready to see the Princess, but there were more than enough hours in the day and I wasn’t one to ruin the mood.

“You left them,” A voice spoke. I casually open one eye to gaze around the room, trying to pinpoint the origin of the voice. “It’s just you and I, in your head,” the voice answered my wandering eye. “All the people you left; your friends, your brothers-in-arms, and your poor mother.”

“I knew what I was getting into,” I replied. “My luck was dried up. I needed a new start so I decided to come here.”

“Here? And has your luck changed?”

“If you’re in my head, then you and I both know the answer to that.”

“I asked the question. Has your luck changed for the better? Because I think being held against your will in a cabin in the middle of a forest does not count as good luck.”

“Well, no shit. You don’t say. Maybe you want to add ‘clearly being hated by a Captain of the Guard’ while you’re at it, but I’m kinda busy.”

The Voice paused, gathering words for an attack. “You know, Sam and his girlfriend got married because you saved him. He’s planning to name the first boy after you.”

My train of thought came to a dead halt. I’d never thought about really anything like that. I just let go of that part of my memory. I could almost feel the voice smile at the progress it made.

“What about Paul?” the voice asked coolly. “When are you getting married so that Paul can stop by and give a best man’s speech? I’m sure he would be tickled pink to see you here, in a world so full of smiles and happiness, so far away from the world you lef-“

“STOP,” is all I could scream in my head. “STOP, NOW!”

“What about your poor broken mother?” The voice kept going. “She died a few days after she got the news of your death. In the condition she was in and you just left. You knew that was going to happen.” The voice continued nonchalantly. Abysmally cold. “You monster. Broken and alone, the only thing she was holding on to was you. You selfish, greedy bast-“

“PLEASE!” I could feel the tears flowing now. “JUST STOP!”

“Hey,” I heard a soft angel giggle out from the darkness. “We can’t stay like this. You know how Spike gets when he… Toby, are you alright?”

I open my eyes to find Twilight’s purple globes staring into mine; deep concern played all over her face. Her mane flowed over both of us, separating us from the outside. I take a deep breath, “Yeah, I’m fine.” I try to avoid her gaze.

“You sure? It looks like you’ve been crying.” She pushes her muzzle into mine, trying to stimulate a response. “Come on, talk to me.”

“It was just a bad dream,” is all I could think to say, my gaze stayed averted. “Nothing to be too worried about.” I felt a soft hoof against my cheek, pulling my downtrodden head up and into her eyes.

“If it has you down, it’s my problem.” Her caring smile transferred into a small one onto my face. “So please, talk to me.” Twilight smile turns a bit sly. “I might be able to get you some coffee.”

“You and your bribes,” I comment to myself. “But, I was just thinking about a few things, from home.” My smug tone drifts away as quickly as it appeared. “I wish you could’ve met my mother, she would’ve loved you. My mom had a thing for having to date a smart girl. She would’ve been absolutely thrilled that I finally found someone. She would’ve…” My voice drifts off as I fail to complete the thought. I sigh, letting my head fall away again.

She pressed her nose against mine, brings me back up. “I would’ve been honored to have met your mother. I am certain she would’ve been proud of you no matter what you did in life.” A light kiss punctuated her sentence. “And I’m happy to have at least met you and see what a wonderful pon-“

“Hey, Twilight!” A voice from behind the veil of her mane sounds out. “Breakfast is read-” Both Twilight and I peek our heads at the small green dragon coming up the stairs. “Oh, this again.” Spike quickly turns around back down the stairs as quickly as he came up them. “You two really need to get a sign so I know when to walk up these stairs, sheesh.” The dragons continued complaints slowly drift away as he heads back into the kitchen.

Twilight and I waited a few moments and then laughed at the tiny dragon’s misfortune. “You know,” I say, fighting off fits of laughter. “That may be not such a bad idea.”

The purple mare on top of me playfully hit me with one of her hooves. “That’s kinda hard to do for a room with no door.”

“Nah, you just have to put a sign on the stairs,” I shrugged. “I mean sure it would be a bit weird, but it would work.”

“It wouldn’t work at all and you know it.”

“You haven’t given the idea a chance yet! Give it a few days and it’ll grow on you.”

“Do you want your coffee or not?”

“Yes ma’am,” I answer with mock defeat.

She giggles. “That’s what I thought.”

* * *

It wasn’t long before Twilight, Spike, and I were on their way to Canterlot via rail transport. The sun was high overhead and the mood was light. We talked and laughed quite freely, almost in anticipation of the meeting with the Princess, though we altogether avoided the subject. Not in fear of what was going to be said, but again the anticipation of it. Part of me knew at some point I was going to have to tell Twi about what really happened out there... Let me tell you, that is something I was not looking forward to. Though, I wasn’t sure whether to bring it up now or wait until later. I knew that if I waited, the results weren’t going to be pretty; nor would the consequences be any much better if I told her now, but it would be better than later.

I waited until the dragon was asleep, which didn’t take too long. Twilight had been over-working the poor boy since I’ve been here. I keep telling her to let me do something, but she would have none of it. I smile at the memory of her telling me I should be in bed when I was helping Spike reorganize some of the books. Saying “some books” was an understatement. Apparently, Rainbow Dash came by earlier and needed a new book. Though she and Twilight talked, it was only in hushed voices when I walked by. Anyways, she needed a new book and went through most of the Library to find something related to Daring Do.

It was the day of my return, so, yes, I probably should have been in bed resting. In my defense, I knew the little guy was going to need some help on this one. So it wasn’t long before I was hobbling around, moving books to their respective places with Spike’s help. Of course she would come in when I was tottering high on a ladder, reaching to put a book on the top shelf. Naturally, my ears were targeted within seconds for a lecture about proper bed rest and recovery, courtesy of Proper Bedside Care: Volume 3. I guess I should count myself lucky she didn’t get to Volume 6.

Shaking the memory away, I tried to focus on the task at hand. Twilight was putting a blanket over Spike. He’d collapsed over his work and now Twilight was moving him to one of the couches in the car. I walked behind her, observing the tenderness and care the mare showed for the sleeping dragon. Something so kind, so motherly, it drew a light smile to my face.

“The kid looks cuter in his sleep,” I commented. “Don’t tell him I said that though, ‘cause he’d never forgive me for it.”

“Your secret is safe with me,” she giggled. “I’m just lucky to have him. Though he may be a handful sometimes, his heart is always in the right place.”

“That is very true,” I say. I casually walk around to where I took my place next to her, were both of us gazed upon the baby dragon. His body slowly moving up and down with each breath, we both barely move for fear of waking him.

She is first to break the lull in the conversation. “Toby, you ever wonder about… you know, stuff like this?”

The statement strikes me as odd, though it was only a matter of time before I heard something relating to this. Though in my mind I’m trying to regain control, my face shows little of this conflict. “The thought has crossed my mind once or twice.”

Liar, a voice said in my head. You’re scared of this, you’re not even sure of where to start thinking about it. I push the voice away, trying to regain control of the situation both in and outside my mind. “I’m not sure about it though. Why are you planning so far ahead?”

“I just like planning ahead,” she smiled awkwardly. “Just makes things so much easier when you get to them.”

“Seems to be planning too far ahead, don’t you think?” My face shows a look of concern, unsure if she actually meant what I think she did. “Is there something you want to say?”

“Not right now, no. I just wanted to ask a question, that’s all.”

“Oh, ok.” We remain overlooking the sleepy figure of Spike. His soft snores and the clacking of the train over the rails are the only sounds permeating in the train car. “Um, Twi?”

Her gaze never removes itself from the sleeping dragon, almost as if she believes shifting her vision will wake him. “Yes, Toby?”

“You know,” I slowly began. “As a soldier back on Earth, I would be shot at and shoot others.” She only nodded, knowing I had more to develop on the idea. “And a lot of the stuff I did and saw overseas, I don’t know where to start to unlock to doors to those memories. So many have been repressed, bottled up, and stashed away that talking about it only seems to hurt rather than help.” Her eyes drifted away from the dragon, but still only a nod. “I mean, even as of recently, there have been events I do not want to bring up ever again. Though, with this audience with the Princess, some of these suppressed memories are going to have to come out, and I want you to know at least some of these things so they do not surprise you.”

She held her composure, though some looks of confusion were easy to identify. “I kinda get what you’re getting at here, but what all else is there to say? I’ve accepted your duty to your country as who you are, but what other memories are you not willing to say?”

“Well, it can start with memories of my long since passed father, but that’s a different story.” Somehow, I manage to crack a half smile, though it was more for breaking the now-gloom mood. “Anyways, in times of conflict, men and women of war are captured by the enemy. Some are treated and respected as a formidable foe, as an equal. Other times, prisoners are sent through the ringer. I don’t think I need to explain to you about the Bataan Death March, life in a Soviet Gulag, or other examples of captors’ harshness to their captured.”

“I’m following, though I’m not sure what you are getting at, Toby.” A look of concern of was growing on her face, while my expression grew darker. “What happened?”

“Twilight, this is actually quite recent.” I sigh a bit, finally arriving to the heart of the matter. “The orders for my first assignment here was to detain one blue unicorn who likes to refer to herself in third person.” The look of surprise on her face told me she already knew whom I was talking about. “I was separated from my comrades and the captor became the captured.”

“What happened then? I take it wasn’t good.”

“I guess you’d like to know how I got these scars?” I chuckle at the dark reference, gesturing to my legs. “Walk with me; I really don’t want to talk about this around Spike.” She nods and follows me to the opposite part of the car, away from the sleeping dragon. “I don’t know where to begin. The cuts and scars were from being tied up; I can guess you assumed that already. Though I was not tied up to chair as I wished I were. No…” I pause, unsure of how to continue.

You have her on the edge, the voice said. Just finish the story. You have nothing to lose now. Just tell her, NOTHING could possibly go wrong, right? I only breathed while the voice berated me.

“No,” I finally continued. “I was pinned to four bedposts against my will and used. Very much so used. I cannot possibly begin to describe how I was forced against my will to do whatever that mare wanted.” My eyes drifted to the floor in shame as I felt her shock grow.

“Does that mean…?” She let that thought drift out in the open air.

“Yes, yes it does. I hate myself, unable to do anything against it. Used like an animal. It hurts.”

“Why haven’t you told me about this sooner?”

“I told the doctors and I checked out clean. Though I don’t know if I’ll be clean of all of it.”

She paused, gathering information that I gave to her. “Toby, how did you escape?”

“She made the mistake of trying to make me a cake and putting me on a leash. I really had to use my head to escape.” I sigh, more or less in defeat. “She’s still out there. I failed my first and last mission for the Guard.”

I feel a hoof bring my head up; it’s hard not to look into her face and watch light tears fall from her eyes. “Look at me; you should’ve said something earlier. I’ve said it before, if it’s bringing you down, it’s my problem as well.”

My feelings are still downtrodden, hard to recover from. “So, you’re not mad at me? Because I would understand if that was the case.”

A light smile appears from her tear-covered face. “At you, no. I just wished you didn’t keep secrets from me.” Her smile turned into determination. “Though now I have a score to settle with that unicorn once again.”

My mood begins to lift a bit; a smile finally finds its way onto my face. “I guess you don’t want me to witness the flank-kicking you’re going to dish out?”

She patted my head lightly, “Maybe when you’re older and can witness such beat downs as I’m going to give. Just let it be known, she touched my man, may Celestia have mercy on her soul.”

“Hell hath no fury than that of a mare's whose territory has been encroached upon.” I laughed lightly. “Remind me not to make you angry.”

She placed a light kiss on my cheek. “Stay on my good side and you’ll do just fine.”

* * *

The rest of the train ride went, thankfully, without a hitch. I was even able to nab an hour or two of sleep. Once again, I rested undisturbed. No dreams, no voices screaming at me. It was all well and good. At least until Spike woke us up. I think I heard his deep sigh before I felt the tap of his claw on my shoulder. Pushing my mane out of my face, I can see that Twi fell asleep next to me, laying her head down on my back. I manage to pull off an awkward smile for Spike. He only shakes his head, not in disgust, but because there is little he can do about it.

From the Canterlot Train Station, we made our way to the Palace were we awaited our audience with the Princess. My mind was a storm of emotions. Here I am, waiting to talk to the most powerful ruler in Equestria. Here is a ruler that actually talks to her subjects. I didn’t even get to talk to my mayor, much less the President. Being nervous was an understatement. The small conversation between Twilight and Spike was drowned out in my own fears. Twilight said to relax and be myself, so I was in the middle of giving myself a pep talk when I finally arrived in front of the door to the royal chambers.

Twilight looked at me with a caring, warm smile. “Are you ready?”

Taking a deep breath, shoving my insecurities away, and putting the voices back into the dark recesses of my mind, I said, “Yeah, ready as I’ll ever be.”

With that the purple mare nodded to the door guards and with a glow of their horns, the doors began to swing open. Light flooded the entrance; I had the shield my eyes with one of my hooves because it was so bright. Out of the light came the Princess of the Sun, bathed in the radiance of the light. The guards, Spike, and Twilight bowed at the sight her, so I followed suite.

“Welcome, my little ponies!” Her voice proclaimed. “Please, come in. We have much to discuss.”