• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 15,390 Views, 1,388 Comments

One Soldier's Twilight - Dr.Shisno



One soldier's journey back home and discovery of a friend

  • ...
62
 1,388
 15,390

Chapter 8

It was as hot as any other day though it was still early in the day, the sun bearing down on our heads. Not a single cloud in the sky. The mission was simple: provide support to Alpha Company at the forward operating base about ten miles away. They had their time on the line and are in need of being relieved. Which that job has been put on us: Bravo Company. Lucky enough though, we are not walking the ten miles, we have been provided Humvees. Lee was driving, I was riding shotgun, Ryan was on the “Ma deuce” on top, and in the back were Sam and Burke, joking around like always.

“But what if monkeys really could fly?” Sam questioned, “You never know what military purposes we could use them for.”

“Yeah,” Burke trying to talk in between his laughs. “But I’d leave the shit flinging to the politicians, cause that’s what they be good at.”
“Amen, preacher,” Lee sounded off from behind the wheel. “Preach it some more.”

“Thus SAYETH the lord!” Burke began his sermon, “That upon THIS day, he who decides to bring evil upon this earth, better not be in the path of Bravo Company, for he will be SMITTED off this world. Lord have mercy on THEIR souls, for we shall not!” A round of ‘hooaahs’ answered him. I smiled: high moral, headstrong, and ready for anything. These were the men I was proud to lead.

Which is when an explosion from behind ceased all thoughts. Than another in the front, causing the Humvee in front of us to swerve and hit the guardrail blocking the road. A few small arms rounds pinged off our hood, tracers flying past the window.

“AMBUSH!” I yelled, “Dismount and engage!” There was a scramble to get out of the vehicle. I could see men exiting their houses brandishing rifles and machine guns, ready to join in the fight. “RYAN! Hit em hard with the Deuce! Don’t let off of them!”

“Will do, Sarge!” His sentence punctuated with a burst of fifty cal. I could see the rest of the convoy was already stopped and currently engaged. A Humvee was on fire, tossing black smoke into the air. I’m glad I was up wind; the smell must’ve been horrendous. Peeking my head over the hood of the Humvee, I could see a few men gathering in a ditch, putting fire on our small convoy, in which two of the six vehicles were out of commission. I put a burst down range with my rifle; incoming rounds pinged off the hood sending me back into cover.

“Sarge, we are in a bad place here!” Lee yelled beside me. “We’ve got to move! NOW!”

“I get that! Sam! Move to the first Humvee; check if everyone is all right. Lee, Burke, get ready to cover him. Ready Sam?”

“Always ready, Sarge!”

“Good to hear. Three, two, one, COVERING FIRE!” The three of us popped up and started to put rounds down range. Sam ran for the first Humvee, puffs of dirt popping up around him. Thankfully he made it over. We dropped back into cover behind the Humvee. “Right, RYAN? I called out, reloading my weapon. “How are we doing?”

“Still SNAFU, Sarge!” Ryan screamed over the thudding of the fifty cal.

“Good, for a moment there, I thought we were in trouble. KEEP POURING IT ON THEM RYAN!” A burst from the fifty answered my order. I glance over to the first Humvee and see a few guys starting to emerge, firing their weapons. Sam gives me the A-OK sign. I give him a thumbs up. “Right then, Burke, Lee! Get ready cover Sam as he moves back!”
“Roger that Sarge!” I flip Sam a few hang signals telling to get ready to move. Another A-OK sign is given.

“Three, Two, One, COVER FIRE!” I catch a glimpse of Sam starting to run as I pop up over the hood, firing. I catch a tango off guard and I watch him fall as my rounds hit center mass. Dropping back under cover to reload, I catch another glimpse of Sam, not twenty-five feet away. Everything starts to go in slow motion. A bullet rips through his lower right leg and he tumbles. His face turned into a pained anguish. While falling two rounds hit him in the vest, thankfully not penetrating. He finally hit the ground, rolling onto his back. “ GOD DAMN IT! SAM’S DOWN! COVER ME!” Slinging my rifle, I took off to get Sam. I finally reach him. “Hold on Sam, I got you!” Grabbing the handle on the back of his vest, I started to pull him into cover.

“Ugh. Thanks Sarge,” Sam groaned. “Ah, my LEG!” His hands went for his leg. From what I could see, the bullet broke the leg; he wouldn’t be dancing for a while. He was also bleeding pretty badly. He would make it, if we made it to cover.

“You’re going to be fine Sam, you’ll just need some orange juice later.” His strained laughter is what I got as a response. “We’re almost there, just a few more yards.”

“RPG, RPG! GET DOWN, SARGE!!” came a cry from the Humvee.

“For fucks sake, not aga-“