• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 15,414 Views, 1,388 Comments

One Soldier's Twilight - Dr.Shisno



One soldier's journey back home and discovery of a friend

  • ...
62
 1,388
 15,414

Chapter 12

I walked to the apartment later that night. The shift wasn’t too long, but dealing with all those people. I’ve never been hit on more times in my life then the time I was working. Seeing, as I was the “new girl” working the bar, seemed to give every man the right to ask about my love life. Men, I rubbed my face in disgust.

The night was a bit cold, like it always seemed to be, but at least the rain passed. Pulling my jacket around tighter only helps so much, when one can see their breath in front of them. Though, still a bit somber from this morning. Nothing has changed; the $72 in tips doesn’t fix anything. What can change this moment?

Right now, it’s thinking about how beautiful this night is. I’ve never really noticed before. With all the looking down I do these days, sometimes I forget to look up.” A voice from long ago speaks. What does the sky hold for me, I think as I glance up. It’s beautiful. The sky clear, the clouds long since past, the moon shone with such brilliance. “…And most importantly you are quite stunning to look at, even now.” I sighed. It was unfair. Lowering my head, I kept walking, fighting the past.

Finally reaching the apartment, my small night of hell finally over, maybe I could sleep. No, I’ll probably cry my eyes out one more time. Sighing and unlocking the door, oh the joys of being in love with a soldier. Enter and closing the door behind me, I tossed my jacket aside. There was a crunch as I stepped forward. More mail. Oh what joy. I picked up the small pile. Strange, the first letter on top wasn’t even a letter. It was just a folded piece of paper. It was just a folded piece of paper with my name on it, just my name and no address. I was curious. Who just drops by a note? Unfolding it, my heart stopped for a second.

Sometimes we are not given second chances. Other times we hold on for dear life and demand a second chance. Maybe I just have the luck with these sorts of things.

My heart beat faster, my mind set afire with thoughts. My hands began to shake violently. Which is when I became strangely aware of the creak and tap sound. Looking up and that’s when I saw him. Toby. Walking towards me from the living room. He was partly in his dress uniform. His left arm concealed in a sling and cast under the jacket. His right held a cane, supporting him as he limped across the room. Scars crisscrossed the left side of his face and down his neck, and the some stitches were recently removed. I couldn’t believe it. And then he was standing in front of me.

“Hey the-,” he started and I just slapped him.