• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 15,414 Views, 1,388 Comments

One Soldier's Twilight - Dr.Shisno



One soldier's journey back home and discovery of a friend

  • ...
62
 1,388
 15,414

Chapter 3

I open the door into the fresh air of the outside. Joining the morning rush of the city, walking with a spring in my step, I start walking. The Library is a long walk from my apartment, but I could care less. I’m out of the apartment and moving with something to do. With the people moving around me on the sidewalk, the rush of cars passing by, I feel at ease. Calm around complete strangers. The city feels more alive than I remember it being: the cars, the people, and the businesses. People going about there everyday lives: laughter in the street side cafés, friendly greeting on the street corner between two friends. “It’s probably the smile on my face,” thinking to myself.

In any case, it’s a twenty, twenty-five-minute walk, nothing too difficult. Back in my “glory” days, my company would march for miles with at least 150 pounds of equipment. I chuckle, “glory” days. I’m not even thirty yet and I’m reminiscing about my “glory” days.

The Central Library, the marble engraved sign says. The building itself speaks aloud of Roman architecture: the marble columns, the archways, the marble lion sculptures, even the Roman numerals signifying the date the building was built. The library is a monument to the once great and bountiful Roman Empire. Oh how I wish Caesar could see how much his influence has spread and for how long. He would’ve been proud.

Walking into a strange new world entering the front doors. A sense of awe washed over me. It may have only been a library, but it felt like I was entering a coliseum, with thousands of spectators watching as I entered the ring, waiting for me to make my move. Walking down each aisle of books, recalling what few books I read in school. It feels… hell; it’s been too long. Scanning the shelves for something familiar, I knell to get a better look for books on the bottom shelf. My hands guide me to Charles Dickens: Great Expectations. I pick up the hardback book, not sure what to do with it. “Maybe read the back,” I think. “Look like you are doing something.”

“That is quite an amazing book, you know?” A voice behind me started to say. “The way the Dickens uses Pip’s guilt, as a reason for his actions is brilliant. Pip, oh where do I start with him? The novel is supposed to be ‘coming of age’ sorts, but I feel as though it doesn’t happen. Also, personally, I really like Dickens first original ending over the second. The first matches with Dickens’ original writing style. But, that’s just my opinion.”

“Well, I guess you could say,” standing with a smile and turning to the voice. “You have great…” I couldn’t formulate my next words. She’s standing in front of me: a woman, appearing to be about mid-twenties with dark, near purple eyes. Black long hair highlighted with a violet stripe. Purple t-shirt with a black sweater over that, and a black skirt matching the curves of her body. A stack of books held in her arms. A loss of words is where I am. I found her, that’s all I could get running through my mind.

“Have great, what? I have great, what?” she asked. Giving me a strange look.

“Oh right, sorry. You just look really familiar. And um what I was trying to say was, you must have Great Expectations of this book.” I nervously responded. “A um, book joke.”

“Oh… OH, like someone else. Don’t worry, I get that a lot.” she started to giggle a bit. “And I can’t say I haven’t heard that one before and believe me, I’ve heard a lot of book jokes. By the way,” she extended her hand. “My name is Twilight, but some of my friends call my Twi.”

“Twi, huh?” I respond, shaking her hand. Wow. “Name’s Toby Miller, and the pleasure is all mine. I take it you’re not from around here, are you?” I smile.

She looked a bit distressed. “What? Why would you say that? Of course I’m from around here!”

“Oh, it’s just that you’re um accent, along with your name. It’s just not local, that’s all.”

“Well, that’s just what my parents named me, and I’m quite fond of my name, thank you very much.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean any offense. Anyways, would you like to answer my next question then?”

“And what question would that be now?” she asks, raising an eyebrow.

“Do you come here often?” I’m forcing myself to not laugh.

“Oh, of course I do. The library is a wealth of knowledge. How can one not come here often?” She squeals with excitement. “After all my classes at the University, it feels like I live here sometimes. So, are you going to read that book, because I’d really love to read it again, Dickens is such an amazing writer, I just have to read it again.”

“Huh,” looking at Great Expectations. “Well, seeing as I haven’t read it before.”

“You haven’t read this book!” she said, taken aback. “That’s a crime against literature, I’ll just have to wait for you to finish it then. Now I feel bad telling you about the book.”

“Look, it’s alright. I can wait. I’m quite sure you would enjoy the book more than I would.”

“Oh, no no no no no., I couldn’t do that I insist. Take the book, please. I really do think all should read this book. So, read it.”

“Ok… I will if that makes you feel better.” She smiled and walked past me then around the corner and out of sight. The aroma as she walked past was intoxicating. I never smelt anything like that. I will have to say; I was never driven more quickly to madness than letting her walk away. Taking a deep breath, I followed after her, not letting this moment slip away from me. “Hey, I…” but she was gone, nowhere to be seen. “Well, shit. Nice going, Toby. You let her get away.” I remarked, thinking aloud.

“You know I’m right behind you, right?” her voice came out of nowhere, cause me to jump, my heart to skip a beat.

“You know,” taking a deep breath and turning. “You shouldn’t scare a man like that.”

“Well, I thought there was something you wanted to ask me, so I came back.” A smile appeared on her face. And how beautiful of a smile… I could’ve died right there and been content with my life.

“I was um wondering if um…” she looked at me with confusion. “Well, I’m no good with the whole book reading thing. I was wondering if you would like to help me out with understanding of the book?”

Her face lit up with excitement, “Oh, of course, I’d love to!” Twi squealed with happiness. “Come on then,” grabbing my arm and dragging me with her. “We have much learning to do!”