• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 15,414 Views, 1,388 Comments

One Soldier's Twilight - Dr.Shisno



One soldier's journey back home and discovery of a friend

  • ...
62
 1,388
 15,414

One Last Dance

I woke up a bit earlier than usual. Maybe it was just the nervousness kicking in. The day of my first big event in Equestria, if you don’t count meeting the Princess and whatnot, I’ll just assume my body thought it would be natural to treat it like Christmas, wrought with anticipation of what was to come. The Grand Galloping Gala, the biggest and greatest party in Equestria, or so I’ve heard. It was something everypony dreamed of going to, and here I was, a new resident of Equestria, going to one without a problem. Maybe the term “Like a little boy on Christmas” was the most accurate way to describe my rapidly beating heart.

I guess I could relate the newfound anticipation to the fact that I was never a big “party” guy. There was prom in high school, but that was more or less a bust due to the fact that the girl I brought ended up leaving me within a month. There were events and balls in Bravo Company when I was back on Earth, Christmas and Thanksgiving get together shindigs. Hell, even in the sandbox, holidays were something special. It was part of what made us remember that deep down inside, we were still human after everything we did. It kept what little sanity we had left from escaping.

It was just a bit after sunrise, but I felt compelled to stay in bed for a bit longer. So, I just stared at the ceiling for a few moments, slowly becoming aware of world around me. I felt Twi’s slow breath against my chest and neck; her warm body caressing mine. I just let the moment play out before I decided to get out of bed to make the most out of the morning. Yawning as I rolled out of bed, I tried not to disturb Twilight too much. Despite my efforts, she still moved slightly, sighing as she rolled over. I managed to stifle a chuckle as I moved downstairs.

Soon, I found myself in the kitchen, where I found Spike. He didn’t look like the happiest of dragons, even from behind. Slumped over slightly as he cleaned the floor, he was mumbling something to himself, something I couldn’t make out.

“Morning Spike,” I announced. “You seem to be up a bit early. Even started on your chores. Who are you trying to impress?”

“I could say the same to you,” he stopped sweeping, turning to face me. “Why are you up?”

I shrugged, closing the distance between us. “Meh, couldn’t sleep I guess. I take it that’s why you’re up too?”

“Yeah,” he said a bit coldly. “I couldn’t sleep either. Just wanted to start on my chores. I need to clear my head.”

I could only assume what the issue at hand was, “Mare problems?”

He sighed, a hint of sadness leaking through his voice. “Yeah, that seems to be the only problem now.” He returned to sweeping, “How do you have it so easy?”

For some reason, I laughed, “You and I both would like to know the answer to that question.” I made my way to fridge, pulling out eggs and hay bacon. “You hungry, Spike?”

“Nah, I already ate a while ago.” he managed a smile. “Besides, I don’t think you’re that good at cooking crystals.”

“Oh ye of little faith.” I mumbled between my teeth, still holding the hay bacon bag. I started setting the bag down, starting the stove, and planting a few pieces of hay bacon on the skillet, while persisting, “You sure I can’t get you anything?”

“Unless you can fix everything between Rarity and I,” Spike sighed. I could just hear the heartbreak in his voice. “then no, I don’t think so.”

“I…” I was at a loss of words, trying to find something that would help the heartbroken dragon, some word buried deep to put him at ease. I could only sigh, as I knew there wasn’t a damn thing I could do. “I’m sorry, Spike.”

“It’s… it’s not your fault,” I thought I heard a sniff of some sorts coming from him “I guess just things weren’t meant to be.”

I walked over and put a reassuring hoof on the dragon’s shoulder. “If it means anything, I have big things planned that you’re going to be a part of.”

He wiped what appeared to be a tear from his eye, “Really? What are these big things?”

“The future holds many things,” I smiled at him, trying to share my happiness. “That’s for sure, but between you and m-.”

“Good Morning,” a yawning unicorn spoke as she walked through the door. Her mane was a bit of a mess and she looked a bit queasy, but she still managed a smile. She stopped and stared at the scene played out in front of her. “Is this one of those “male bonding” moments I’ve read about? I hope I’m not interrupting anything.”

“No, just finishing up, but we’ll talk later, okay Spike?” I patted Spike on back letting him continue on with his chores. Turning to Twilight, I asked, “Sleep alright? Can I get you anything to drink?”

“I slept alright.” she yawned again, followed by giggle. “Maybe I could’ve slept better. I’ll have whatever is that you’re having.”

I smiled, “Coffee it is then,” I moved to start the coffee up. “Cream? Some sugar?”

I felt her forelegs wrap around me from behind, her warm breath against my ear as she whispered, “I think you know how I like it, a bit of sugar, not too much cream.” I laughed, but she continued. “Oh and one more thing,” her honey smooth voice continued to pour into my ears.

“Yes, Twilight? What would that one thing be?” I tried to respond with an equal amount of smoothness in my voice

“Your bacon is burning.”

“Sonnof-“

* * *

I left for Rarity’s by myself, and I could understand Spike’s reluctance to not tag along. The little guy just needed a bit of alone time, and I figured it was probably for the best as well.

So as it was, I was by myself walking to Rarity’s boutique left in my own thoughts. Left in thoughts about what to make of my future. There was one line of thought that told me to take Shining up on his offer, because he did have a valid point. There would be a point where there would be little left for me to do. Then there was another line of thought that said I had already done enough, for any military. Maybe a different line of work was probably the right thing to do. It didn’t help that the two sides kept arguing. There wasn’t any counter-insurgency going on there, but what were the true threats? If you’re good at something do it, but for how long?

I really wasn’t sure for what reasons I would be doing it for. I had no true motivation if I was to join. I didn’t quite have the same drive, no real “Mom, Flag, and Apple Pie” feelings. What else was left for me to do? Why not protect a peaceful land? The pay probably wasn’t that bad and I figured that I needed to support Twilight and also Spike’s growing eating habits. The future is a scary thing and the battle raged even as I knocked on the front door to the boutique.

One ragged looking white unicorn answered the door. The shine from her coat was gone, so she appeared to look light gray. Her mane was in no sort of presentable fashion, at least by Rarity standards.

“Um, hi, Rarity,” I spoke, a bit concerned with the unicorn’s condition, “I just thought I’d stop by and pick up me and Spike’s suits, but no offense, you look like a mess.”

“Oh yes, it always gets this way this time of year. All the last minute appointments and whatnot.” She sighed, pushing her unkempt mane out of her face. “Sorry, come in, come in.”

If I didn’t know better, I would say Discord swept through the place, but it was a controlled chaos. It was worse than the day before, fabrics, strings, needles seemed to be strewn about more than ever.

“Rarity are you alright? I know you’ve been under a bit stress as of late, but do you want to talk about what’s bugging you?”

“What is there to talk about?” She shrugged. “There’s work to be done, and with the Gala tonight, there was very little time to sleep. Besides, sleep wouldn’t come if I tried. Ah, here we are,” She levitated a pair of folded suits and placed them into my pack. “Will that be all then?”

“Well, I guess it wouldn’t be right if I didn’t ask what’s bugging you,” I set the pack down, “because I know it’s not just the Gala on your mind.”

“I know Spike did not come for his own reasons, and I could not sleep for my own reasons. Though, I feel those reasons are more or less the same.”

“Another cup of tea then? You need a break anyway.” I offered the warmest smile I could. “And I think I need a lesson or two in some pony culture. Care to teach me a few things?”

“I’m not if even sure I can teach an old pony new tricks,” she smiled. I could see a bit of her shine returning to her. “I believe I can try though.”

“Thank you,” I nodded, “I’m sure there’s something about old fashioned rituals you can remind me of.”

“Da,” she laughed. “I think I might know a thing or two.”

“Good, cause I’m going to need a huge favor from you.”

* * *

Heading back to the library, I was weighed down by a lot of things. The most obvious being the physical weight of the suits and other supplemental items. Second was something a bit harder to spot, but it was how was I going to go about everything. There was quite a bit that needed to be done, and I could only focus on so much; the offer from Shining, my favor from Rarity, trying to help out Spike the best I could, then on top of that trying not to mess up tonight. I’m used to making cool and quick responses to multiple tasks at once, but this was no combat zone. The only combatant on this field was myself and I was doing a terrible job against him.

By the time I made it back to the library, my head was already spinning. I even almost trampled Spike as I walked in.

“Sorry, I didn’t see you there,” I said, picking him off of the ground. He promptly brushed himself off and went back to sweeping.

“Not a problem, it happens a lot.” He seemed a bit distant in his statement.

I frowned, it wasn’t the best looking situation and though I’ve seen combat effective men turned into babbling messes, dealing with a broken hearted child was something else entirely. So after putting my pack with the suits down, I did the best thing I could think of. I picked up the dragon and threw him on my back, saying “Come on, we’re going for a walk.”

“But what about the Gala?” Spike struggled a bit before finally settling down.

“We have plenty of time,” I reasoned. “two hours before we even have to start getting ready. Trust me, more than enough time to change your attitude.”

The dragon let out a small humph, reluctantly complying with my offer. “What are we going to do then?”

“Well first, I’m going to bribe you. And second, you are going to accept my bribe and be happy, at least for today.”

I could almost hear the gears clicking in his head, “What’s your offer?”

“Well,” I said, exiting the Library and heading out into town, “if you must know it’s a treat and a talk.”

“What’s the treat?” Again, I could just hear the thought process playing out in his mind. “Because I don’t think you have a good enough barter.”

Oh, he thinks he’s gonna outsmart me? Was all I could think. “Well I could always turn around and you could never get your treat.”

There was a moment of silence from Spike, “Fine.”

“Good, because there wasn’t anything you could’ve said to get me to change my offer.” I mused, rounding the corner of the street. I turned to Spike on my back and gestured to the building in front of me, Sugarcube Corner. “Care for a quick snack?” The drool seeping from his mouth was his only answer. “That’s what I thought.”

As we walked into Sugarcube Corner, Spike by my side, one of the owners greeted us cheerfully. “Afternoon, Sir, what can I get for you and Spike?” His smile was genuine, which was something I was happy to see.

I returned with a smile of my own, “Well Spike here needs a quick punch of happiness. What’s the best you can do for him?”

“I know just the thing.” His face was lit up with excitement and I could just hear it in his voice. “Honey! Break out the happy jar! We need it stat!” He made his way to the backroom with a spring in his step.

I leaned over to Spike, “And here comes the best part,” I whispered. “I have no idea what happens next”

The sound of a small building’s construction seeped through under the door. The whirring of machinery, a few flashes of light, even the sounds of a banjo being poorly played caused Spike’s curiosity to grow. Soon, the owner popped out from behind the door with a smile on his face, “Are we ready?”

The dragon’s gaping jaw and drooling mouth answered the question easily. Even so, the dragon nodded slowly.

“Well, alrighty then!” He emerged with a huge ice cream sundae, coated with a mountain of whipped cream and topped the biggest cherry I had ever seen. “One big cup of happiness, made ready with love from the Cakes to one Spike.” He shone us another brilliantly wide smile as he placed it on the counter in front of the hungry looking dragon.

I thanked him as I went for my bits, but he stopped me. “It’s on the house, don’t worry about paying for it.”

“Really, sir?” I questioned, raising an eyebrow. “Because I’m more than willing to pay for it.”

“It’s not a problem,” he smiled again, “besides, I don’t see many off duty Royal Guards around here, so it’s on me.”

“Oh.” I said, a bit surprised. “Well um, I’m not exactly with the Guards anymore, so it doesn’t feel right for me to take it.”

“Past or present, you’ve done your part, just my way of saying thank you.”

“You’re very generous sir, thank you.”

“Don’t mention it.” He replied quite happily. “Oh, and good luck tonight. You’re probably going to need it.”

“Believe me, I will. Thank you again, though.” I turned around, thought for second about what had just happened, and then followed Spike to a table. By the time I got to there, Spike was already fully occupied with his sundae and I could only smile when I sat down.

“How’s the bribe working out for you?” I could’ve only assumed by the huge grin as he shoveled another gigantic spoonful of ice cream into his mouth that it was a success. “For this next part you just have to listen.” The dragon’s inhalation of the sundae slowed down as to hear me, and his head poked out from behind the hill of whipped cream, the size of which had grown substantially smaller.

“Look, I know how many times I’ve gone over this, but I know it hurts.” His head began to poke more out of the hill as he started to formulate a statement, but I halted his actions, “Hey, just listen for now. I know it hurts. You’re young, though you have plenty of life ahead of you. Don’t overthink your problems, because they’ll only come back to bite you in the rear later.”

“But I-” Spike began to respond.

“Hold up now,” I held up a hoof stopping him, “I’m not finished. Not just yet, I had this whole conversation planned out, and you are going to hear me out.”

“But-.”

“No buts, listen.”

“But, Da-.” Then he stopped, as did my entire train of thought. A screeching, near de-railment stop, but it stopped. And all I could was stare at Spike.

“Did you just say…?” I really didn’t want to say anything, I was just a bit confused to say the least.

Spike’s shoulders slumped a bit, “Yeah, I did. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to, it just sorta came out.”

I reached across the table and put a hoof on his shoulder, “Hey hey hey, what did I say? Be happy. I was just wasn’t expecting you to say that. Just one of those things I’m not sure if I’m ready for yet.”

“Oh.” Spike said, taking another slow bike of his sundae.

“Don’t worry about it, kid,” I offered a smile to him. “you’re going to do just fine. Besides,” I chuckled a bit, “we have a Gala to crash tonight.”

* * *

And we did have a Gala to attend to, I reminded myself as I stood in the foyer of the Ponyville Library. From nervously sweating to pacing back and forth, even the simple notion of breathing I had to remind myself to perform. I even had to force myself to sit down on the couch and try to calm down, but it wasn’t working. Nervousness had fully enveloped my senses.

Though, I had to hand it Rarity; the suit she made me was exquisite. It was simple, yet classy and refined. Its dark threads giving a light purple tint, which I assume was to compliment Twi’s coat, but had thin gold pinstripes running down it. To top it off, Rarity took my suggestion into consideration and added bowtie. A maroon bowtie, but a bowtie nonetheless. I had no idea what the idea of the wear was intended to be, but assuming through Rarity’s prior planning that I matched, if not at least complemented Twilight’s dress. Then again, my fashion sense is a little out of whack, and I could be completely off on what the particular wear for the season was.

For now though, I waited for a message from Twilight, for she and the girls were at Rarity’s boutique having a “girl’s moment” getting all dressed and pretty and whatnot. From past experiences, I figured it wise to wait it out, for we would be at the Gala eventually. Eventually.

I noticed Spike sit down beside me; he was more or less his usual self, wearing a bright smile along with his suit, while eating a ruby sandwich. He saw me looking at his meal and offered me a bite, which I waved off.

“Nervous?” he asked me in between bites of his sandwich.

“Maybe just a bit,” I replied truthfully. No use in lying, for my body was shaking quite a bit. Looking down at my forehooves, it would have been difficult to tell the difference between them and jelly.

Spike took another big bite before answering, “What’s got you so worried anyways? It’s just a big silly dance.”

I thought for a few moments, feeling the weight and restriction of the suit grow on me, almost becoming a burden. I knew that big events were a problem for me in the past, but I had gotten over that recently, or I had hoped so. And then one last thought struck me, “I can’t dance.”

Spike’s response was lost in the knocking on the door. The two of us got up from the safety of the couch and went to the door. When I opened it, I found no one there, or so I thought.

MmmHHHmmm,” came a voice from below.

Looking down, I saw it was Sweetie Belle, wearing a slightly annoyed expression. “Sorry, didn’t see you down there,” I awkwardly responded, adding a forced, awkward smile to it.

“Oh it’s alright,” she rolled her eyes as she shrugged. “and my sister and everyone is ready for you and Spike to arrive.” She gave the dragon behind me a warm smile, “So, if you’ll follow me please.”

I shrugged, adjusted my suit coat, and followed after Sweetie Belle. The sun was slowly beginning its descent beyond the horizon as we trotted over to Rarity’s boutique.

Nervous as I was, it was nice to get out and have some fresh air. Spike and Sweetie Belle were talking about something, but I couldn’t make it out. Though I did smile when I heard them laughing about something. The young ones always seem to bounce back a bit quickly, I thought.

We arrived shortly, and I was met with two other stallions standing in the foyer of the boutique, waiting. Big Mac was bigger than I thought he was, and I never really thought of him to be one for formal events. Standing next to him was another stallion I didn’t expect, Soarin’. He wasn’t in his Wonderbolt uniform, but his wear still held the presence of a uniform. Both of them mumbled a form of greeting toward Spike and I, which we both returned.

“I’ll be right back,” Sweetie Belle announced, moving toward the back room with a bounce in her step, where the girls were getting ready, “I’ll tell them that you are all here.”

The group stood around a bit awkwardly, shifting from one hoof to another, waiting for the girls to walk through the doors. Apparently there was an itch in the back of my mind that needed to be attended to, and it could not wait, so I opened my mouth half unexpectedly.

“So... Big Mac,” I could almost hear the long lost brony part of my mind punching my voice box to keep me talking. “You waiting on Fluttershy?”

The farm horse responded with his signature, “Eeeeeyup.”

I nodded respectfully then turned to Soarin’, “And Soarin’, correct if I’m wrong, but you’re with Rainbow Dash, right?”

He laughed, “Oh no, I’m actually going with Applejack.” From behind Soarin’ I could see the watchful eye of Big Mac as he said those words.

“...oh,” I could only respond. Then, somewhere in the back of my mind I heard a small high-pitched squeal, internal screaming that would be considered crazy if it was let loose. “Well, I’m happy for both of you.”

The other stallions offered their thanks, and then it went back to the awkward silence, at least till I felt a light jab from Soarin’.

“So, Twilight eh?” he whispered. The Pegasus gave me a sly smile, “Is she a goer? You know? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more?”

I turned to him, taken aback a bit, “What?”

“Sorry,” he laughed. “bad joke, just-,” but he was cut short to by the door on the other side of the foyer opening. At last it would appear our waiting was over. Slowly, one by one the girls appeared, each one’s dress as elegantly stunning as the last. Rarity had clearly outdone herself this time, and it was evident by in the pride in her step as she appeared. Her color had returned and the drowsiness was gone.

But the one mare I was waiting for, my Twilight, finally appeared. After all the waiting I did, seeing her now was well worth a thousand years more. It was difficult to know where to start. Her mane was not its usual square cut, but waved and was of different lengths that cascaded across her face. The expertly curved ends were accented by near transparent pink ribbons, which were held in place with gold, diamond-shaped clips. The easiest way to describe her hair’s appearance was of fire, one beautiful fire flowing down her head. Her earrings were even in the shape of a golden, burning flame. From there, my eyes moved down to her dress. The main body of her dress was of a muted gold with an outline of orange, cut sharp in multiple places, imitating a comet. The contrails of the comet were of gold, accented by another contrail of sparkling magenta. Such as it were, the gold rings around her forehooves gave me the impression that nopony short of a Greek goddess was to be my date tonight. Even to top off all that, she was wearing the best thing of things, one hell of a beautiful smile. I was, to say the least, awestruck and speechless. So when the goddess was barely a foot in front of me I couldn’t even formulate a nervous “Hi”.

“Hey you,” I heard her say, as if from another world. “How do I look?” Judging by my inability to respond, dropped jaw, and look of complete bewilderment, I think she got the message. So, she giggled a bit then kissed my cheek. “You might want to stop drooling.”

“Oh,” I finally managed to speak, snapping out of the daze. I wiped the small trail of saliva from the corner of my mouth. “Thanks, Twi.”

“Don’t mention it, but you might want to put on your best smile, Pinkie might be taking pictures.”

“I’ll be on my good side, promise.”

* * *

Though I had been to the palace before, it looked even more majestic at night; especially with all the lights and fireworks going off periodically. My gaping jaw was seen by Twilight who let out a tiny giggle.

“Something funny?” I smirked at my date as our group made our way to the palace from the carriages. “Because if something is, I would like a laugh as well.”

“Just wondering if that’s how people see me when I find a new book,” her eyes glimmering from the light show above.

“Nah,” Spike answered from behind us. “There’s more drool involved.” The unicorn shot him a glance, but then rolled her eyes.

“I’ll let that slide for now,” she looked at Spike with a condoning look. “Just because it’s the Gala.”

I laughed a bit at the exchange between them and continued to walk with the group toward the palace. Soarin’ and Applejack laughed together under the watchful eye of Big Mac; though he was slightly distracted by Fluttershy who nudged him lightly, a gentle smile appeared upon his face. Rainbow and Pinkie were in some sort of conversation about the application of a party cannon while in flight, meanwhile Rarity seemed to just enjoy their company but was not completely there. I made a mental note to ask her about it later.

Finally approaching the large front door, well decorated for the event, I was surprised to see both Painter and Player there. Both guards were standing tall and proud in full dress regalia. I would have missed them completely, if they had not snapped to attention and Painter had not spoken up.

“Enjoy your night, sir. Don’t do anything too crazy.”

I smiled lightly, continuing to walk into the palace, “No promises, have a good night, gentlemen.”

Looking back as our group entered the palace, I was intrigued by the presence of my former subordinates. They seemed a bit more refined, disciplined. Maybe the Gala brought it out of them. My thoughts drifted to being their superior again, though it was a short time I was in that position, it felt good to be in the saddle. I shook the thought aside. Everything in due time.

It was probably good that I focussed my train of thoughts, because I found myself beside Twilight, being greeted by the Princess of the Sun.

The Princess smiled as she extended a forehoof, which I took graciously, “Good evening, my little ponies. I hope you are having a wonderful night so far.”

I shook her hoof lightly, “The night is still young, Princess. So we’ll just have to see.”

“Then I look forward to your report.” She turned to Twilight, extending a hoof to her, “Good evening, my faithful student. If you’ll wait in the observatory, I’ll be with you shortly.”

“Thank you, Princess,” she too shook Celestia’s hoof with a smile. “I look forward to it.”

As we walked away from the welcoming, I turned to Twilight, “What was up with all that?”

She hesitated with her answer, “Princess Celestia just wanted to clarify something that could not wait. Don’t worry it should only be a few minutes.”

Right,” I replied then sighed, “I guess I’ll go do my best not to get into too much trouble while I’m out of your sight.”

She flashed me a tiny smile; “It would be nice if you could do that. I really don’t want to be thrown out of the Gala twice.”

I planted a light kiss on her cheek, “No promises, have fun with that Royal Meeting.”
Twilight started towards the observatory, but before she was out of earshot, she turned around and said, “No promises.”

I watched her as she walked for a few moments, unsure of what else to do. Thoughts bounced through my head about what things the Princess and Twilight were to be discussing. I shrugged it off, if it was pertinent information to me, I would’ve been included.

I made my way to the main foyer, where the main part of the Gala was taking place. A soft procession of strings and piano played over the light conversation. It was calm, peaceful, yet I was not. I really didn’t know too many people so I kept to myself, skirting the outside of the floor, gazing at certain figures that stood out in the crowd, and at the scenery around me.

One stallion stood out more than the others, I could only assume my mind willed him to stick out from the rest. Shining stood in his dress uniform with a small group of ponies, from what appeared to be some of Canterlot’s upper class. They were immersed in deep conversation, laughing even. Shining caught me in his eye and smiled, he politely excused himself from his group and walked towards me. I could see his eyes sweep over me, and he chuckled lightly.

“I can only guess my sister looks twice as better as you,” he joked, extending his hoof, which I shook firmly. “How are you doing, Philosopher?”

“And you’d be right, but I’m sure you’ll see her soon enough; she’s talking with Princess Celestia about something. As for myself, I’m doing okay, surprisingly.”

“Surprisingly?”

“It’s been interesting these past few days. I’ve had a lot to think about.”

“Well, that is understandable, we’ve all had a lot on our plate as of late. Walk with me?”

“I can do that, sir.” I followed him away from the main floor of the Gala and we walked down one of the side halls of the palace. There was silence for a while and I gazed at the walls and their paintings. Tales of triumph, struggle, hardships and pain adorned the walls. It was hard not to think about those paintings in comparison to the next words coming out of my mouth.

“Sir, I’ve seen and done a lot of things I’m not proud of. I’ve made lost a few friends along the way. It’s been tough to find my path, and when given the chance to start fresh, to start anew, it’s hard not to jump at the opportunity.” I paused, both in speech and in walking. Shining stopped too, focusing at me. “With all due respect sir, I don’t have much history with you or anypony else here for that matter. I cannot say 100% I would be the right match for the job, but if you need me sir, I can be there for you.”

He smiled, a warm smile that made me feel as though I had finally done something right. “Philosopher, I wasn’t expecting an answer anytime soon. Though, it says something to me when you say you’ve been thinking about it. I wouldn’t want you to sign back up unless you felt completely sure about your decision. For whatever it’s worth, I personally would like you there with me.”

I nodded slightly before responding, “Then sir, I’d be honored to serve at your side.”

“Glad to hear that, Lieutenant.” He extended his hoof once again, which I took and shook. “We can discuss this further later on in the week. Tack things down with this new change of command and whatnot. Anything you might need?”

A few thoughts entered my mind, but these they were irreverent. “Sir, I wouldn’t know where to start.”

“Well,” He turned and started to walk back to the main floor of the Gala, “If you can think anything at all, I’ll see if I can make it happen for you.”

I watched him for a second before a thought popped up, “Sir, if I could be assigned Painter and Player, a corner office, and some vacation days soon, I think that would be a nice start.”

Shining’s laughter echoed through the hall. He looked over his shoulder when he answered. “I can’t promise everything, but I’ll try. Enjoy your night. Take care of my sister, okay?”

“You as well, sir, and don’t worry. She’s in good hooves.”

I watched him go back to the main floor. I stood there alone in the hallway, the sounds of the Gala echoing in the background. I turned to the painting that hung on the wall nearest to me. In the mural stood a dramatized Princess Celestia standing upon a large bank of clouds in the sky. She was overlooking a brand new sunrise in the distance, her hair flowing in the ever-blowing celestial wind. Her smile was painted as brightly as the sun she was raising. The picture was marked A Brand New Day, by a plaque on the bottom.

My body released a sigh and my head dipped. Taking a deep breath, I looked back up at the painting. “Well, I can only hope I’m doing alright.” I offered a courteous bow to the painting and made my way to back main floor of the Gala.

* * *

I stood off to the side, watching the night move on, couples moving as one to the music on the dance floor. My mind wandered as to the location of Twilight and what could keep her for so long. It was easy to just shrug it off and focus on the drink I was holding. Some form of punch without a punch of any kind. Yet, it was still calming. It was either that or the music coming from the stage. The soothing sound of the strings and the perfect precision of the piano playing in concert together. Closing my eyes and smiling, all my thoughts seemed to dissipate, and order was reestablished within my mind.

At least, it was until I felt a presence nearby. Upon opening an eye to survey the presence, I recognized it to be one cyan pegasus, Rainbow Dash, looking at me inquisitively.

Exhaling lightly, but keeping a smile on my face, “Something I can do for you, Miss Dash?” I asked.

“Just wondering why you’re off by yourself, that’s all” she shrugged.

I chuckled lightly to myself, “I’m no good with big groups, simple as that. Anything else you want to know?”

“Oh, okay,” she paused as if gaining confidence in her next few words. “Do you mind if I ask you some things?”

“I’m sure I have plenty of answers to satisfy your curiosity,” I smirked. “Ask away.”

“Seeing as you’re not from around here, how’d you even fly? Or even go faster than walking?

I looked around, evaluating if any ponies were within earshot, which there was none. “In both aspects, we had machines to take us places. Some went fairly slow, others incredibly fast.”

Her eyes shone with glee, begging for me to continue, which I did. “Now with flying, we have something called planes and the faster of them being called jets. Some of these jets could travel faster than the speed of sound, breaking the sound barrier, creating a sonic boom. Something like your sonic rainboom.”

“You mean to tell me you needed machines to do what I can do everyday?” She rolled her eyes a bit. “Pfft, amateurs.”

“Eh, I had those things save my butt more than once, but that’s just me. But we had machines on the ground too. Think of wagons or carts, but streamlined, strapped with a motor, and made of metal. The best of these costed a small fortune but were the envy of all, and their engines roared like a Manticore. And some of these cars, as we called them, raced at high speeds with high stakes. Some legal, others not so much.”

Her eyes lit up some, “Really?”

“Yeah, these were interesting events, but I really can’t elaborate much on it because I don’t know much besides what I’ve seen in films and whatnot.”

“Well,” she formulated her thoughts again, during the pause in conversation. “Did you see any nice places?”

Thoughts of deployments and duty stations made me laugh aloud, “A few, but not many. There were a lot of harsh environments I stayed in, but I’ve seen some nice areas.

“So, hypothetically,” her voice dragged the last word out a few seconds. “If you could go back, would you?”

“The thought has crossed my mind a few times, actually, many times. I’ve tried to debate in my mind if I made the right choice, I’ve never really came to any real conclusion, but I would have to be with Twilight, that’s all.”

“Ah, okay,” Rainbow replied. She glanced behind me and smiled, “Well I’ll leave you be, thanks for the talk.” With that, she trotted off into the crowd, still bearing her smile.

After watching Rainbow trot into the crowd for a few moments, I soon became aware of another presence to my left. Turning, I saw my Twilight standing there, wearing a beautiful smile on her face, practically radiating happiness.

“Hey,” she began, “sorry it took so long, I didn’t expect it to take such a long time.” She pecked my cheek lightly, “How has your night been?”

“I’ve managed to stay out trouble thus far, just like you asked. So far it’s been a good night.”

She giggled slightly, “Well at least that’s good. What were you and Rainbow Dash talking about?”

“She had a few questions about my first home. So, I entertained her with a few answers.”

“Huh,” she looked to contemplate something, but just shrugged it off. “I’m sure it’s just Rainbow being curious.”

“Fair enough,” I shrugged. “I’m sure if it’s important, we’ll find out pretty quickly.”

She giggled again for a second. “With Rainbow, knowing quickly would be for the best.”

A lull in the conversation appeared and I couldn’t help but stare at her. She was the Twilight I grew fond of on the television screen, yet now she stood next to me. I sighed in happiness, smiling profusely. Noticing my stares, she blushed and looked away. The burden I long since felt on my shoulders seemed to slowly dissipate and only bliss remained. In the background, I felt the music change, and knew what I needed to do.

“I know that I wasn’t much of a dancer back when we started dating, and it doesn’t help now that now I actually have two left feet, but,” I extended a forehoof out to her. “Would you care to dance?”

I wasn’t surprised to see her face light up with joy as she took my hoof into hers, whispering, “It would be my pleasure to graciously accept.”

The music pulled us onto the dance floor and continued to coerce into movement. I could feel the growing number of eyes turning and looking at us. For a brief second, a nervous part of me screamed for me to leave the crowd, but Twilight’s gentle smile kept me beside her on the dance floor. Her soft mane brushed against my neck as we came closer. The sound of her heart beating with mine slowly became one with the instruments on the stage, as we let the melodies fill our souls. The musicians played a smooth concerto that seemed to be gently guiding us, as if it had been specially composed to just for us as we danced. A step to the left, a shuffle forward, a shuffle back, and a spin; I even surprised myself in the elegancy of our movements.

The crowd and the dancers around us seemed to fade away and there was just us on the floor. Only the music surrounded us as we moved. Twilight’s breath became more hesitant, along with mine. Our dance slowed as she pulled us closer. There was no leader, no follower, only one perfect being that moved in perfect synchrony. It felt what the music said, felt the melody take over, and just let the music flow between our connected souls. Another spin, a bow, and a pull; every move felt just as majestic and smooth as the last.

Though the music slowed and began to fade, I could feel something that didn’t want to stop, that never wanted to fade. It just wanted to grow and grow, to envelope all of my being and time with this bliss. As I looked into Twilight’s eyes, I cannot say for certain, but with that blissful smile on her face I think she felt the same. Our lips met for a brief second, but was as passionate as the first. It was in that second that I knew. It was our night, our dance, and our moment. It was all I could think of, it all that mattered, it was her.

* * *

It was quite late when we finally returned to Ponyville. The moon was casting its glow from overhead, and Spike had long since fallen asleep on the train ride from Canterlot. It was not a cold night, but a cool breeze graced the air. It was calm, amazingly peaceful, both physically and within myself.

Then, I found myself on the balcony of the Library on my lonesome, propped up on the railing. My bow tie was loosened around my neck, while my jacket laid draped over my shoulders. I was totally relaxed for what seemed like the first time in forever.

In this state of nirvana, my thoughts drifted. Drifted to where I was, where I came from. It was surreal, like a dream. Memories returned of being in full battle rattle, sending lead downrange. I remembered all the smells of combat; yet they all seemed so distant. The amount of blood on my hands, well hooves, now, seemed too great. Even the blood not covering my conscious, not owned by me, still seemed to haunt my thoughts. But it wasn’t real, just a dream now. A bad dream, yet it had all been real.

Certain memories of that life, like the kick of the rifle against the shoulder, the smell of diesel fuel in the air, or the lingering bad taste of an MRE. It’s strange how something that was once so prevalent in my life now is nothing but a flicker in the dark. All the problems I experienced, the depression, the drinking; it was behind me. Some problems lingered, like the issue with crowds and loud explosions, but that could be overcome with time.

As I stared up into the night sky, at the moon and surrounding stars, I sighed. The night just seemed to fall into place around me, though there was a nagging thought, like an itch inside that needed to be scratched.

Hey, Paul. I started, focusing on the stars above. You wouldn’t believe any of this, where I’m at or whom I’m with. I chuckled a bit before continuing, at the sheer ridiculousness of my actions. A lot has happened since that day. There’s very few moments when I don’t think about that moment. I still owe you, wherever you are up there. You gave me this chance to live again.

Tears welled up in my eyes and I let them fall, thinking of all the times we had together, the beers we drank, all the stupid stunts. The best man speech I gave at his wedding, how he vowed to return the favor.

You gave me the chance I never thought I’d have, Paul. A thank you will never be enough, but I can try to live my life and say, maybe one day, I’ll have earned what you’ve given me.

Twilight bumped into me, surprising me a bit. She was still in her gala attire, though her hair was a bit unkempt from the night’s extravaganza, but still all the more beautiful. Her head fell on my shoulder and we stood in silence for some time. Feeling her there with me, during these thanksgivings was supportive.

“What are you thinking about?” Twilight’s soft voice floated to my ears.

“Twilight,” I started, avoiding the question, “How long have we been together now?”

I could hear the gears turning in head before her answer, “One year, nine months, a week, and four days.”

“You know I’ve said something a few times over that time, a promise I made not once, but twice. I think I remember the whole thing now.” I hesitated in my next breath, “Twilight, there is beauty everywhere you can see, some easier to see than others. If I hadn’t found a certain beauty one day, I don’t know where I would be now.”

She nuzzled closer to me and I threw part of my jacket over her. Both of us planned our next words carefully.

“I’m glad I found you, then,” she said, as she bestowed a gentle peck upon my cheek. “And I’m glad I didn’t lose you.”

“I as well,” I said, smiling lightly, “because in that beauty, I found hope; a hope to live, hope to carry on. It was in that hope I found a new life, a new land, a world far away from the one I left. That hope was you, Twilight. I’m here because of you.”

“This time I’ve spent with you, Toby, my Philosopher,” Twilight’s voice sounded soft to my ears, “Though often trying and difficult, I can’t say there would be a better way to spend that time.”

“And I wouldn’t have it any other way,” I gave her a full kiss, admiring the emotion in it. We broke and settled slowly back to our original positions. There was another itch, part of my conscious kicking the other to get more out of me, to not miss this chance.

Now or never, solider.

“Well,” I started, reaching into my jacket. “I’m not 100% sure on the traditions of Equestrians for this, Rarity’s lesson from today about culture and customs has been lost to me, and with my heart beating a million miles an hour, I think I’ll just play this by ear.”
Being so close, I could feel her heartbeat start to speed up as I placed a small box on the railing, between us.

“Now normally, if I still had just two legs, I would get down on one knee and ask. With my life, I’ve lived with regrets and missed chances, but here right now, I don’t want to miss a thing.”

I opened the box, revealing a mixed metal hooflet, consisting of silver and gold veins mixing and intertwining around six beautifully set gems. Her head lifted off my shoulder and focused on the ring then back to me.

Her violet eyes focused on mine, as she stood waiting and yearning for the next words to come out of my mouth.

“Twilight, for all these past times and times to come,” her eyes twinkled with the formation of tears. “Will…will you marry me?”

Immediately I was enveloped in her tight embrace, sending the both of us spinning around the balcony.

“Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes,” She squeed, giving me a long fervent kiss. “Yes, yes I will.”

I could only think to hold on to her out of fear that she might fly away from me. I gave her a long kiss of my own, longing for the bliss of the moment to carry on forever.

“So my original offer stands?” I asked, “From here to forever?”

The look she gave me was one I will always remember, a smile that could reassure the most broken of spirits. The same smile she’s always given me from the beginning. “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

So, Paul. You’ve given me the chance, now I just have to earn it.