• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 15,414 Views, 1,388 Comments

One Soldier's Twilight - Dr.Shisno



One soldier's journey back home and discovery of a friend

  • ...
62
 1,388
 15,414

Chapter 6

The apartment was no longer cold and dark. Since that day, Twi has been staying at my place. The apartment has been warm and inviting. We even painted the living room. We end up getting a majority of the paint on each other, laughing and chasing each other with the paintbrushes. That took a few days. Well worth it though. I even helped Twi move some her stuff into the apartment. Albeit, it was mostly books and notebooks, it was something we did, together. It may sound like I’m moving too fast at this point, but it just felt right, I never had my heart ever feel this way before. I hold her every night, praying for these moments to last forever, but it’s only a matter till I get redeployed. The battalion has been stepping up the intensity of the Training Exercises and rumors say the battalion is up on rotation. Sadly, rumours turn into truth. I have a month left before I ship out, back to sandbox. Now as sit here on the couch, Twi laying her head on my shoulder, I wonder how to tackle this subject.

“Hey Twi, I guess there is something important to tell you.” She turns to get a better look at me. Her eyes question what I’m about to say and await more. “What I’m trying to say is that I probably won’t be here in the coming months.” She looked perplexed and confused. “Twi… I’m being redeployed. I’ve got a month, then at least nine months after that.”

She sat up and kissed me with the same feelings felt on that first kiss. “I know, I’ve always known you would have to go back.” She wrapped her arms around me, the smell of her perfume intoxicating. “There was no stopping you, it’s what you do.”

“Ok, I just wanted to tell you. Tell you that this solider has one last shooting match before he gets out.” She smiled at me. We sat there in silence for some time. It seemed right. Just let a few things settle in. I really didn’t know what to say.

“Toby, I just have one question, but if you don’t have to answer that question if you feel uncomfortable in answering it.” I nod, might as well see what question it is. “Um, what happened to Paul?” I sigh; I knew that question would eventually appear. Focus Toby, answer the lady her question, you’ve got nothing to hide.

“To be honest, it’s a touchy subject. He was killed in action while serving in the line of duty. Our squad’s mission was to secure a site and capture a High Value Target. I have never seen shit hit the fan that quickly.” I take a deep breath, carefully thinking over my next words, looking at her eyes begging for understanding. “The squad leader, Darvon was hit first. Eventually back up did arrive just in the nick of time. While extra boots were being put on the ground, I was hit. Rocket fire, and I’m lucky enough to sustain just small injuries that I did.” Gesturing to my chest. “I, personally, don’t know any details after that. All I know is what I can piece together from Darvon, Ryan, the after action report, and Paul’s recommendation of commendation. After I was hit, Paul came to pull me to safety, braving all sorts of incoming fire. Lifting me, combat gear and all, he got me to safety. He about damn near got me to helicopter, too that’s when he was hit. Multiple rounds went clean through his vest. He didn’t feel a thing. But, he died saving my life.” Tears begin to well up in my eyes. Just a few more seconds, Toby. You can do this. “He died saving my life. And I can’t pay him back for everything he’s done. And I’m left wondering everyday, why him not me ”

We sat there again in silence for some time, tears slowly going down my face. Twi sat there, I guess unsure of what to say. I’m reliving one of the most heart wrenching moments that I couldn’t do a thing against, and she’s sitting there trying to figure out what to say to make it better. Deep breathes, Toby. Just calm yourself down.

Twi moved towards me and sat my lap. Wrapping her arms around me, “Hold me,” she requested softly. “I just want to be held by you.” Not to be one to deny her that, I pulled her in closer. Her head lay on my shoulder, her face nuzzled into my neck. I relished in the feeling of her warm breath against my neck. And that’s how we laid for a while. "Toby?" her soft voice carefully broke the silence. "You were right, I'm not from around here. I'm not sure if you would believe me if I told you."

My brain stopped. But wait, haven't I known? From the start? I know i didn't have to hear the truth, I needed to truth. "Really? But I thought you sai-"

"Well, I lied." She couldn't look me in the eyes. "Because I'm not from around here, really. Around here is not ever possible to describe. To comprehend for a human like you."

"So you're sayi-"

"Toby, I was brought here, by magic." She put her hands to her faces and mumbles something along the lines of: this is stupid or this will never work. "I was sent here by Princess Ce-"

"Celestia?"

"Wait how did yo-" She giving me a funny look.

"It's a long story," I try to shrug it off. "Let's just say I had a hunch, and I happened to be right."

"Okay," She's unsure to continue. "I was sent here to learn about you and your people. About your culture and everything. What makes you humans, you. What makes you go on, what drives you, what causes all this conflict on this world. I was told to look over a warrior, see what makes him fight. Because where I come from, it's very different, I am very different. I come from Eque-"

"Equestria."

"Um, is there something you're not tell me?"

"Now," I chuckle. "Here's where I say you won't believe me. Believe it or not, I know everything, or just about everything. Your friends like Apple Jack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie. You're all ponies. You live in Ponyville, and you have a dragon named Spike. Am I forgetting something?"

Her mouth was agape, unable to comprehend. "How did yo-" I reached for the remote, going to the DVR, I started an episode. Winter Wrap Up to be precise. My Favorite. She just watched, in near shock, at what was on the screen. Seeing herself, on the screen, as a pony, and in the human world no less. As the credits rolled, she finally spoke. "And... everyone watches this?"

"Nope."

"So," she finally looked at me. "Why do you?"

"Well, because," I stumbled to find myself. I'd never had to answer this question before. "Because, it makes me happy, I enjoy seeing it. It gives me hope in this world. Because as long as there is a glimmer of hope in this world, I can and will keep going."

"And that's what I came here to find. Why people keep going, there is so much bad in this world, it's hard to imagine what drives a person."

"Yeah," I thought back to my first days back from deployment. "but since you were sent here, why haven't you gone back? I guess you've "studied" me enough. Why not go back to the peace and harmony, away from this world."

"Because I found you. Why you? I don't know. I saw something more than a warrior. I found someone who legitimately cared. Something behind that mask of yours." I breathed deeply. I really didn't know what to say. In one part in my brain, I was excited, happy, overcome with emotions. Another part couldn't believe it. Studied. It seemed so wrong.

“Toby?" I could hear her trying to get answer out of me. "What happens now?”

“Twi," I sighed, it was a lot to take in, for both of us. "I will do everything in my power to make this work. That’s all I want out of life right now: this moment and us.”

“Toby,” she looked into my eyes, placing a hand on cheek. “I know you will.” I smiled for it was the only thing I knew how to do. “Now, hold on Toby. I’m sure there’s a perfect book for this, for us.” So, I watched get up and walk into the bedroom, not really thinking twice about it. All I could think of was smile on my face and how happy I was at that moment.

“Toby!” Came a cry from the bedroom a few minutes later. “I can’t find this book! You must’ve moved them! Why did you do that? You know I get mad when you move them!” I had to keep myself from laughing as I got up and starting walking to the bedroom.

“Twi, what do I keep saying? I don’t move your-.” I couldn’t formulate the next word. Not with what I saw in front of me. There she was, lying on the bed. Her hair hung over her face a bit, covering one eye. The other eye looked directly at me. Lying seductively, well she didn’t really need to do that, for what she was wearing entranced me as well. It was a black, translucent nightgown, highlighting her curves, giving off a violet hue, perfectly matching her hair. The ambiance of the setting helped as well. A few candles gave the room a sweet smell. For lack of a better description, I was at awe.

“Well, Toby?” She asked, twirling a rose between her fingers. “What will it be tonight? How about new book like Major Pettigrew's Last Stand? Or maybe a classic like Doctor Zhivago? Or maybe we can read something new to both of us,” Laying the rose down and picking a book up from beside her. She smirked and giggled, “Like say, the Kama Sutra?”

My mind was slowly trying to process what just happened. With the candles, the rose, Twi lying out in front of me looking quite beautiful, it was quite a polar opposite from the emotions and feelings I just had a few moments ago. Then something clicked in the back of my mind. That click told me to answer her, how to answer her, and very simply as well.

“Oh hell yes”