• Published 24th Aug 2013
  • 3,528 Views, 187 Comments

The Twinkie Group Collab! - Drizzle Quill



A collection of short prompts all featuring Pinkie X Twilight, totally not stolen from the FlutterDash and Rarjiack groups, who totally didn't steal it from the AppleDash group or anything...

  • ...
9
 187
 3,528

PreviousChapters Next
Fling - Midnight Herald

Prompt: Fling


It was supposed to be a fling, nothing more. It was supposed to be two ponies getting together for a night of fun, no strings attached. Apparently Pinkie was used to fun between friends, so everything would go smoothly. It was supposed to be a fling, so why did Twilight’s heart race whenever Pinkie caught her eye and grinned? Why did her legs and wings tremble whenever Pinkie laughed, or brushed up against her on their way to the next bar? Why couldn’t she stop the bright blush that burned its way embarrassingly across her muzzle, or the dopey little smile that wandered off and on her face at its own pace? It was just supposed to be a fling.

“How’re ya holding up?” Pinkie asked. Her face as she looked Twilight over. Twilight blinked against the haze of mild drunkenness and refocused her eyes. Too much confusion and wild happiness and a strange, deep loneliness sloshed around inside her, and she wasn’t sure if she’d laugh or scream or cry the moment she opened her mouth.

“I’m drunk,” she slurred, halfway to a whimper. There was so much noise and color around them, and somehow Twilight couldn’t bear to meet Pinkie’s eyes, her wonderful, bright blue eyes. Eyes were hard, sometimes. They always carried so many emotions, so many expectations. “Wanna go home,” she finished, turning carefully around to where the library would stand in the evening light, if she could take her eyes off the ground. Ground was nice and simple. Ground didn’t ask questions or bring up strange, confusing emotions.

And suddenly Pinkie’s gentle hoof lay itself across Twilight’s withers, and much of the confusion melted away from the warmth of it. Twilight’s dopey little grin was back, and she nuzzled into Pinkie’s strong chest earnestly, inhaling the faint aroma of vanilla that perpetually surrounded her. “Alright,” Pinkie soothed. “I’ll walk you home, and we can maybe talk some more?” Twilight nodded, her face still firmly pressed against Pinkie’s delightful coat. Warm tears prickled her eyes and flowed silently down her cheeks, into Pinkie’s fur, and Twilight didn’t know quite why. She let Pinkie guide her down the street, finally moving her eyes back to the road before them.

Pinkie got her a glass of water, and then another and another still. Twilight drank them all, feeling the strange shakiness and the haze of alcohol begin to fade away. Twilight smiled again, and looked Pinkie straight in her loving, concerned blue eyes. “Alright,” Twilight rasped. “Can we talk now?”

Pinkie smiled and sat down a hoof’s length from Twilight. “Okay, Twi-twi,” Pinkie said. Her voice always hinted at laughter and music. Her voice was nice. “I guess I’m a little confused here,” Pinkie admitted. “You asked me out for drinks, and then you weren’t having a very good time. Did I do something wrong?”

Twilight shook her head so hard that she almost fell over. “No, it’s just me being dumb again,” she answered. “You’re great, Pinkie. You’re perfect, okay?” Pinkie scooched a little closer and lay a steadying hoof on Twilight’s side.

“What do you mean, you being dumb again?” she asked, her bright eyes clouding in confusion. Twilight whimpered and looked at the floor. The floor didn’t get worried. The floor was nice. “Twilight, you’re scaring me,” Pinkie whispered, scooching even closer, to where Twilight could feel the heat radiating from her.

“Tonight...” Twilight began. She had to say something, because Pinkie was worried. She swallowed and tried again. “Tonight was supposed to be...” She couldn’t finish the sentence, couldn’t force that word past her tight, aching throat. Twilight broke into tears, shuddering sobs that tore through her from her chest to her head and down through her wings and tail.

Suddenly Pinkie was holding her tight, whispering something into her ear. She couldn’t hear it over the wailing sobs that still came from her throat, unwanted and confusing, bit it helped a bit. More than a bit, really. Eventually, Twilight calmed down, fell into sniffles and shudders instead of the horrible weeping from before. She turned and hugged Pinkie back, snuggling forcefully into Pinkie’s embrace, nuzzling up her neck, and bravely planting a little kiss onto Pinkie’s cheek. Pinkie smiled sweetly and returned the gesture, her wonderful blue eyes sparkling with a sweet, loving warmth. Twilight had never felt so exposed, so vulnerable, so close to anypony before. But she held Pinkie even tighter, looking gladly into Pinkie’s wonderful eyes, feeling years of loneliness and desperation melt away with each beat of Pinkie’s heart as it thudded against her chest so wonderfully. It was nice.

Slowly, inevitably, Pinkie’s eyes drooped lower and lower, her heart beat more slowly, and she soon let out little breathy giggles in her sleep, her hooves twitching and her nose wiggling adorably. It was supposed to be a fling, a little bit of fun between friends. But Twilight could feel the buzzing warmth on her cheek where Pinkie’s lips had touched it, and Twilight could feel the rightness of holding somepony and being held, the warmth and peace that came with it. She smiled gently as she watched Pinkie’s face twitching in phantom smiles, beautiful and warm in the lamplight from outside. It was supposed to be a fling, but Twilight knew she would ask for more than that in the morning. The library floor had never felt so comfortable and secure, and Twilight pulled Pinkie closer as she felt sleep overtake her, little by little like the ocean waves.

PreviousChapters Next