• Published 30th Jul 2013
  • 1,838 Views, 2 Comments

The Spring Fling - WriteAboutHorses



After finding out that Rarity is running for Princess of the Spring Fling, Sunset Shimmer forms a plan to make sure she loses.

  • ...
2
 2
 1,838

The Spring Fling

"Vote Rarity for Princess of the Spring Fling!" Pinkie Pie announced through the halls of Canterlot High. Rarity, one of her best friends, had decided to run for Princess of the Spring Fling this year, she was the first person, besides Sunset Shimmer, to run for princess of a dance since Freshman year. Pinkie Pie volunteered to hang out flyers to promote her friend so that her fellow students would vote for Rarity.

A bright orange hand snapped a flyer out of Pinkie Pie's hand and the owner of said hand read it angrily.

"How dare she!?" Sunset Shimmer fumed. Nobody ever ran against her for anything, and anyone who did, got hurt, bad.

"Oh, hey Sunset Shimmer!" Pinkie Pie beamed. "Are you voting for Rarity? I thought you were running for princess, wouldn't it be weird to vote for your competitor?"

Sunset Shimmer put on a smile as fake as her friendship with Snips and Snails.

"Oh, I just wanted to check on the competition, Rarity seems like a great competitor and I'd enjoy some friendly competition!" The bully smiled.

"Oh, ok then, but if you do decide to vote, you should vote for Rarity, but I guess you'd have to since she's the only other person running, and if you voted for yourself that would be cheating." Pinkie smiled back.

Sunset Shimmer walked down the hall, her cheerful smile was replaced with a scowl of disgust. She needed to think of a plan. After a few minutes it hit her! In English class last week, Ms. Cheerilee had asked all of the students what was most important to them, Sunset could remember that Rarity said that her friends and family were the most important things to her (how cheesy). Sunset couldn't do anything about her family, she wasn't that cruel, but breaking up her friends would destroy Rarity for sure!

"Hey, babe!" Flash Sentry, Sunset's boyfriend, greeted the planning girl.

"Flashy!" Sunset smiled, this time her cheerful smile was real.

"So, how about at Free Period, we head over to Sugarcube Corner? Drum Solo told me that Mr. and Mrs. Cake have this awesome new Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe!" Flash proposed.

Sunset Shimmer had to go through with her plan, and Free Period was the only time she could do it.

"Sorry, but I have some studying to do, Mid-Terms are coming up and if we want to be in the same class for the rest of the year well then I need to pass with flying colors." Sunset lied.

"Oh, ok then, I'll see if one of the guys wants to come instead, good thing I didn't ask Mrs. Cake to have an extra large sundae for the two of us to share ready for me when we got there." Flash laughed. He said goodbye to his girlfriend and left to find his friends.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Eventually, Lunch came. Sunset Shimmer walked around the cafeteria with her lunch tray, Flash was sitting with his friends, which meant Sunset was forced to sit with (oh the shame) Snips & Snails.

"Hey, we heard about Rarity running for Spring Fling princess, are you going to make sure she loses?" Snips asked.

"Of course I am!" Sunset replied.

"How?" Snails asked.

Sunset spotted Neutron, the nerdiest, smartest kid in CHS.

"Simple." Sunset smirked. "Hey, Neutron!" Sunset yelled across the cafeteria. The brainy kid walked over to the small group of three.

"Sunset Shimmer, I know my glasses are goofy, but I don't like wearing contact lenses because I lost my last pair and I-" Sunset raised her hand as a signal for Neutron to stop talking.

"For once, I'm not going to make fun of you, I want to make a deal. Snips, can you please hand me your backpack?"

Snips passed his backpack to the other side of the table, Sunset picked it up and took out a book. A book that caught Neutron's attention

"The Neverquest Official Strategy Guide" Sunset Shimmer said to the nerd. " It can be yours if you just do one little favour for me"

"But, that's my bo-" Snips was about to argue that the guide belonged to him, but was interrupted by Sunset Shimmer crushing his foot with her heavy boots.

"Anything!" Neutron said. "I've been stuck on Level 34 for weeks!"

"You're good at hacking, right?" Sunset asked.

"The best." Neutron answered. "Why?"

"I need you to get me Pinkie Pie's email address password."

"But, that's an invasion of privacy." Neutron argued.

"I'm sorry, but I don't think you're right for this product." Sunset mimicked the voice of a salesperson as she picked up Snips' backpack to put the strategy guide back inside it. Much to Snips' delight, and Neutron's horror.

"Wait!" Neutron yelled. "I can get you the password."

"Excellent!" Sunset grinned. She took out her cell phone and passed it to Neutron. "Put this number onto your phone, text the password to me as soon as you know it."

Neutron picked up the phone to find Sunset Shimmer's phone number on the screen, besides his mom, this was the only girl's number that he had on his phone!

"And I know what you're thinking." Sunset continued. "I'll be checking your phone 1 week after I get Pinkie's password, and if I see my phone number still there, you can kiss your strategy book goodbye, and I'll make sure everyone knows you hacked into Pinkie Pie's email account."

Neutron nodded and reached his hand out to take the book. Sunset quickly pulled it out of his reach.

"How stupid do you think I am, if I gave you this book now, you might give me a fake password. I'm not giving this to you until I know I have the correct password for Pinkie Pie's email account, got it?

"Yes, ma'am." Neutron sighed.

"Good, and if anyone finds out about this, you're in big trouble."

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Free Period, Rarity and her friends all had Free Period at the same time as Sunset, so that means digging up some dirt would be easy, she just had to shadow them until she found something she could use to split them up, and with Pinkie Pie's email account under her control, she could contact them easily. The group were talking in the main hall, Sunset hid behind a plant.

"Pinkie Pie, If it's not any trouble, would you mind coming to my silent auction for the animal shelter after school on Thursday?" Fluttershy asked her pink-skinned friend.

"Of course, Fluttershy!" Pinkie smiled "I love little critters, but, a silent auction doesn't really sound fun."

"Oh, well, if you don't want to then I can always find someone else to go." Fluttershy sighed.

"Nonsense! Of course I'll be there, I'm sure I can be quiet and serious for a couple of hours." Pinkie didn't want to disappoint Fluttershy.

Sunset grinned from behind her plant, perfect! She was just about to creep away when she heard Applejack speak next.

"Rainbow Dash, Do you think you and the softball team could make an appearance at my make sale on Friday?" The country girl asked.

"Sure thing, I'll make sure the team are there no matter what!" Rainbow replied.

Oh, this is delicous, Sunset thought, It would be a snap to get Pinkie to ruin something like a silent auction, but how could she get Rainbow Dash and Applejack to fight over a bake sale? Then it hit her. Her plan would go into action at Gym class.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Mr. Armor, I need to go to the bathroom." Sunset said to the gym teacher. The girls bathroom was inside the girls locker room Sunset knew that Fluttershy always leaves her cell phone in her gym locker, and since Fluttershy's locker was next to Sunset's, she was able to have a quick peak and find out Fluttershy's combo.

"Ok, go ahead, Sunset. But we're going out to the soccer pitch in a few minutes, make sure you're back before we leave." Mr. Armor replied.

Sunset ran into the girls locker room and found Fluttershy's locker. Now for the code. 19, 34, 22. Sunset opened the locker to see Fluttershy's clothes neatly folded, her cell phone sitting on top of the pile. The phone didn't have a code to unlock it, because who would be cruel enough to steal Fluttershy's phone. Sunset Shimmer could think of one person. She found Pinkie Pie in Fluttershy's contact list and typed out a text message. After it was sent, Sunset heard a beep come from a locker at the other side of the room.

Perfect, Sunset thought, she got the message. Sunset put the cell phone back inside the locker and closed it, as if nobody had touched it since Fluttershy had closed it earlier. She left the locker room to the crowd of students making their way out to the soccer pitch.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pinkie Pie dropped her backpack on her bedroom floor and fell onto her bed. It had been such a long day promoting Rarity for the Spring Fling Princess. Pinkie then remembered she hadn't checked her phone since Free Period. She took her phone out to see a flashing light, signifying she had a message. She opened it and read it. It was from Fluttershy.

Hi Pinkie. I don't really want a silent auction, I want a big party! Do you think you could bring some fireworks and noisemakers on Thursday to liven things up? If it's not too much trouble of course. :)

"Hmm, I didn't think Fluttershy would be against a silent auction, she loves peace and quiet, maybe she's having a mood swing." Pinkie said to herself. "Oh well, I think I have some fireworks down in the garage!" Pinkie walked downstairs to find her supplies.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sunset was in the gym the next day, the party planning committee was going to start decorating for the dance tomorrow, she wanted to envision what her coronation would look like this year. Her joyful thoughts were interrupted by Rarity entering the gym.

"Oh, Sunset Shimmer." The girl smiled. "I didn't expect you to be here. Is Pinkie Pie around?"

Sunset thought this would be a good time to get started on driving Rarity and Pinkie apart now.

"No, I think she's handing out flyers for you. Can I pass on a message?" Sunset smiled.

"Could you tell her I'd like to volunteer to help decorate for the dance?" Rarity asked.

"Of course I will, Don't you worry about asking her, you've a campaign to run, I'll make sure she gets the message from me. Bye now." Sunset quickly hustled Rarity out of the gym.

Just as she closed the door Sunset got a text. She took out her phone.

Pinkie's password is rainbowcupcakes -Neutron

Sunset hoped that the password wasn't as literal as she thought it was, but she mentally high-fived herself. Turning Rarity and Pinkie against each other would be a snap now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rarity sat on her Queen-Sized bed at her house, browsing the web on her laptop. Suddenly, she got an email notification.

"Pinkielovesparties@CanterlotHS.eq" Rarity said to herself. She didn't know who it was but it sounded like Pinkie Pie. She opened the email.

Hey Rarity!

Sunset Shimmer told me that you wanted to volunteer to help decorate for the dance on Friday night, but you don't need to, I've already got plenty of help, if I let you help, you or someone else would probably be sitting around with nothing to do, don't take it personal, I appreciate how you want to help even though you have a campaign to run, I just don't need any more help. Sorry...
-Pinkie

"Odd," Rarity said to herself. "Pinkie would usually let the whole student body help out if she could. Maybe she really does have enough help."

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thursday afternoon rolled around. Fluttershy's auction had already begun.

"I see $500, going once, going twice and-"

Fluttershy was cut off the the sound of noisemakers. What was going on?

"Hey, everybody! Are you guys ready to par-tay!?" Pinkie Pie screamed as she entered the auction hall, getting some really ugly looks from some bidders.

"Pinkie, what are you doing?" Fluttershy asked.

"You told me to bring all these, Fluttershy." Pinkie said, confused.

"Security!" Fluttershy called. Half of the bidders had already left in disgust, and more were getting up to leave.

"Fluttershy, we're friends, you can't call security on me!" Pinkie protested as she was carried away by two security guards.

Fluttershy felt like crying. all of the bidders were gone now. Pinkie Pie had ruined her silent auction, why did she bring fireworks and noisemakers to an auction? No way was she talking to Pinkie anymore.

"And stay out!" One of the guards yelled as Pinkie was literally thrown out of the auction center. Why would Fluttershy ask her to bring noisemakers and fireworks and then have her thrown out when she arrived with them? Pinkie vowed to never talk to Fluttershy again!

^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Ok, everybody! The bake sale is right in here!" Rainbow Dash announced to the soft ball team as they entered the Canterlot Community Centre, only to find it empty.

"What?" Rainbow gasped. "Where's the bake sale?" Somebody had told her that Applejack's bake sale was moved to Thursday afternoon instead of Friday. Applejack cancelled it. How could she do such a thing? Rainbow wasn't going to talk to Applejack ever again, she lied to her.

"Come on guys, Applejack cancelled on us, let's go." Rainbow sighed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Wow, Pinkie Pie did such a great job in here." Rarity cooed as she entered the gym with Fluttershy. "How much did the volunteers do?" she asked.

"Volunteers?" Fluttershy asked. "Pinkie did this all herself, I didn't think she could handle something so important." she scoffed.

"What are you talking about, Fluttershy?" Rarity asked.

"Pinkie Pie ruined my silent auction for the animal shelter! She brought fireworks and noisemakers an-"

"That's lovely Fluttershy, but I was talking about the decorations, Pinkie sent me an email saying she had plenty of help and didn't need me to help out too."

"I wouldn't put it past her to lie." Fluttershy frowned.

Pinkie Pie entered the gym prancing around as happy as could be.

"Hey, Rarity!" Pinkie smiled, purposely ignoring Fluttershy.

"Pinkie Pie!" Rarity snapped. "What is the meaning of this, you told me you had plenty of help decorating, but Fluttershy told me that you did this all yourself, how could you lie to me like that, do you not appreciate what I have to offer?"

"What are you talking about?" Pinkie asked. "I never told you that." Pinkie eyed Fluttershy furiously. "I suppose Fluttershy told you about yesterday, and she twisted it around to make it look like I was the bad one, and I suppose you agree with her."

"Well, it was quite inconsiderate of you to bring fireworks and noisemakers to a silent auction!" Rarity yelled.

"Ugh! I'm out of here!" Pinkie stormed out of the gym. Why was everybody being so mean to her and accusing her of lying? She would never lie to her friends.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Ladies and gentlemen!" Applejack announced at her bake sale that afternoon. "Introducing: The Canterlot High School Softball Team!"

Applejack pulled the rope to open the curtains of the stage in the community center, where Rainbow Dash and the softball team were meant to be waiting, but when the curtains opened, the stage was empty!

"She didn't show up!" Applejack fumed. She took out her cell phone so that she could call Rainbow to demand an explanation. Just as she was about to dial the last number, she stopped. Why should she? Maybe this was what Rainbow Dash wanted, to see Applejack ready to murder someone. Well, she wasn't going to get it, Applejack thought.

Sunset Shimmer, who was hiding on stage snickered to herself. Perfect, now all of them were split up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sunset Shimmer was in the Carousel Boutique, a popular place where most students get their clothes. But she wasn't there to shop, she was there to witness Rarity's Spring Fling Princess campaign blow up in her face.

"AAAAAAAAHH" A voice screeched from upstairs, Rarity ran downstairs and handed a torn, brown dress to the cashier. Her parents owned the popular boutique, so Rarity kept her priceless dress in the storage room.

"Can you fix it?" She anxiously asked the cashier. "Someone ripped it and painted it brown and not just any shade of brown, the shade that should be used for accents, accents!"

Sunset burst into an uncontrollable fit of laughter. Rarity turned around and gave her a murderous glare.

"I should have known it was you, it was only a matter of time before you did something to stop me from winning. Rarity began sobbing. Now there was no way she could even get to the dance.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Attention students!" Principal Celestia announced that night at the dance. "It's time to crown this year's Spring Fling Princess!" The whole gym erupted in cheers, except for Sunset Shimmer.

"And the winner of this year's Spring Fling Crown is...."

Everybody prayed it was Rarity, it had to be Rarity....

"Rarity!"

The whole gym cheered once again. Once the cheering had stopped the room was quiet, there was no sign of Rarity.

"Is Rarity here?" the Principal asked over the mic.

"She's not here!" Somebody yelled from the back of the gym.

"Oh, ok then. So I guess that means the crown goes to the runner up: Sunset Shim-" Celestia was cut off by Sunset snatching the crown and putting it on her head.

After all that hard work she had put into splitting Rarity up with her friends, she finally got her prize!

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rarity sat sobbing on her bed at her home. The cashier couldn't fix the dress for the life of her, so Rarity had to stay from from the dance. Her phone beeped, signalling she had a text.

Where were you? You won! But Sunset Shimmer got the crown because you weren't here!

It was from one of the girls on the yearbook club. Rarity began sobbing even more. If she had gone to that dance, even in her normal clothes, she would have gotten that crown and beaten Sunset Shimmer out to it. If only she still had her friends to comfort her.......

Comments ( 2 )

Holy shit, I just finished writing a Spring Fling fic as a commission. :pinkiegasp: Longer than this and not quite exactly like it, though.

Oh shoot... That was AWESOME! There were parts where the dialogue didn't seem to flow properly, but it was great otherwise!

Login or register to comment