• Published 26th Jul 2013
  • 503 Views, 1 Comments

My Conversation With A Moon Goddess - Z-A-C



Twilight and I were stargazing on her balcony, when we noticed something wrong about the sky. I had the idea to go to Canterlot, and visit Luna. Hopefully I can help.

  • ...
4
 1
 503

The Only Chapter

I was looking up at the night sky on Twilight's balcony, thinking about life and trying to calm the more spastic side of my mind. It's been awhile but I'm back in Equestria. Well for a couple of days at least. I was thinking about if I wanting to take on the responsibility of being promoted. And even If I wanted to be promoted. My job is stressful enough as it is... I shook my head to shake those thoughts away. I'm here to relax, and I can think about that stuff back home.

I rubbed my eyes. "Oh my god, life sucks... I should have just-" I stopped as I heard the window open. I looked over but didn't see anything. It must have been Spike or maybe even Twilight. I shrugged, closed the window and looked back at the sky. "This place was like a safe haven to me but..." I sighed. "Sorry A.J..." When I got back Applejack invited me over to her house. It was then we 'broke up' even though no actual relationship was established. After dodging the upset mare and her brother, I came to Twilight's. So here I am.

The window opened again but I ignored it. "Zane?" Oh look it's Twilight.

"Hmm?" I looked at her. "You should really talk to Spike about spying."

"Huh?" She tilted her head

"Nevermind." I looked back at the sky. "You wanted something?"

"I was seeing if you were okay. I've read that break ups are tough."

"Forget it. We weren't together anyway..." I furrowed my brows.

"But... I thought-"

"No we weren't!" I suddenly looked at her, causing her jump. Or was that because me snapping at her? "She thought we were but... I should have just stopped while I was ahead." I closed my eyes. "Dammit..."

"I-I see. So you regret you and her...?"

I stared at her blankly. "...Why are we talking about this now?! Either change the subject, or shut up."

"Sorry..." There was a moment of silence. "I didn't know you liked stargazing?"

"How can I not?" I raised an eyebrow, and looked at the sky. "I can look at the sky without my eyes feeling like they're on fire." She raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything. "That, and the beauty. Luna does a damn good job."

She chuckled, looking at the sky with me. "She does but..."

"You noticed it too?" I looked down at her.

"Yeah...it doesn't feel normal."

"Don't know about that, but I could tell by the sky itself." I shuddered a bit. "Maybe it is a little colder than normal." I shook off the cold. "But no. Everything feels... Somber, I guess. Like a great sadness..."

Art is emotion, Zane. Remember your songs?

"Yeah, you have a point." I stood up and looked at Twilight. She had a confused look on her face. "Twilight?"

She shook her head. "Yes?"

"Does Equestria have night trains?" I looked toward the train station and stretched.

"Yes, but why- Oh... You're not thinking what I think you are, are you?"

I nodded. "We need to get to Canterlot."


"That'd be fifty bits..." The ticket clerk said.

My eyes shot wide opened. "Why so expensive?!"

She looked me up and down. "Sir? It is the middle of the night."

I shrugged. "So, what does that have to do with anything?"

She stared at me blankly. "To keep the ponies motivated to go all that way." She said matter-of-factly.

I clenched my fists. "But-" Twilight pushed me aside.

"Let me handle this." Twilight walked up to the counter. "Good evening, I am Twilight Sparkle-"

"Kid, I don't care who you are." The ticket clerk said with a bored wave of her hoof. She's trending on thin ice.

"-personal student of Princess Celestia. We need to go to Canterlot for Important royal business."

Her eyes widened, and she looked at Twilight. "Oh my, I had no idea! But what about the ponies?"

"Tell them to go home." I said. "We don't have any luggage, and we aren't hungry. So we just need the conductor." I shrugged.

"It's still not going to be free..." She said cautiously.

"We figured as much. Here's fifteen, will that cover it?" I glared at her.

"Y-yes, that should be fine. Train leaves as soon as you get on."

"Cool, thanks." We walked away with our tickets. "Damned bitch was pissing me off."

"Calm down." She sighed. "Well, we have the tickets I just hope Luna lets us talk to her."

"So do I." We walked into the train and told everypony to go home. I found the conductor and showed him our tickets. He nodded and got the train moving.


The train ride was boring. Nothing but small talk and easily ended conversations. I'm glad to be off that stupid thing. We now stand in front of the castle gates. I was trying to come up with a plan to get in, but the guards were watching us close with their spears crossed, blocking us from entering. I looked at Twilight. She just shrugged and walked up to the guards. I followed her and noticed the guards watching me more than her. "Good evening sirs."

"Good evening Ms. Sparkle. What brings you and your...friend here?"

I raised an eyebrow but let Twilight do the talking. "We are here to see Princess Luna."

"Hmm..." The moved their spears. "Enter, but make sure he behaves himself."

She laughed nervously. "Certainly."

We walked past the guards and the now opened gate. I turned my head to look back at the guards. They shut the gates and crossed their spears again. "What was that about?"

"They were just being cautious. It wasn't personal."

"I guess I can understand that." I shrugged. The night guard ponies greeted Twilight and gave me a weird look. I looked at them and smiled. It put some at ease and seemed to make some uneasy. Oh well.

I continued to follow Twilight through out the castle. She made a comment that it was weird going through the castle at night. I asked her why and she told me that she wasn't used to seeing Luna. She mainly came to see Celestia. The conversation ended there though.

She had a servant escort us to where Luna was. Now we were faced with two more guards. Twilight thanked the servant and I continued to look at the guards. They were kinda cool looking. Cat eyes, bat wings, dark fur. They looked at each other and then at me. "Can...we help you?"

I snapped out of it. "Oh! Well, yes." I cleared my throat. "We are here to see the Princess."

"Really?" I nodded. "Why?"

"The sky." They raised an eyebrow. "Not as many stars out tonight. And the moon looks lonely."

The one that has been talking nodded. "Indeed. Our Princess has been in a mood tonight."

"Yes, and that is why we are here." I said with a nod.

"I'm not so sure we should let you in." He looked at the other guard.

This guard frowned. "Yes, please leave."

"Hmm..." I tried to think of a way to get passed them but all of the things I thought of ended badly. "Fine." I sighed. "Come on Twi..." I turned around and began to walk away. Just then the door opened.

"Somepony is here to see me?" I turned around and saw Luna in the doorway.

I began to say something but twilight interrupted me. "Princess Luna!"

Her eyes widened a little. "Twilight Sparkle?" I waved. "And...friend? Why have you come all of the way here?"

"Perhaps we should talk about it inside?"

She looked at me with a questioning look and then looked at Twilight. She nodded. "Very well. You two may enter." She turned around.

"Thank you, your Highness." I said as Twilight and I followed.

Luna moved to sit behind her desk and Twilight and I sat down on the chairs on the other side. "Now, why have you come to see me?"

Twilight and I looked at each other, wondering who should start talking. I decided to speak, since it was my idea to come here.. "It's the sky, Princess. The moon looks alone with the stars missing."

"Yes." She sighed. "Not my best work..."

"If I may ask, is there something bothering you?" She looked at me from across the desk with an unreadable face.

"Am I right to assume that I am in trustworthy company?" She looked at Twilight and I. "I wouldn't like to have my personal problems released to the press."

"Oh most certainly not, Princess! I hate the media!" I looked at Twilight. "Would you like to cast a soundproofing spell."

"Certainly. This should remain confidential after all."

Luna looked impressed. "Very clever to suggest that." She smiled slightly. "It seems my assumptions are correct."

"Yes, Princess." Twilight and I nodded. "May I speak freely?" I asked.

"Yes," Her eyebrows furrowed. "but watch what you say."

"Of course. But first, back to the question."

"Yes. I'm just feeling under appreciated. I'm sure I'm being dramatic about it."

"Maybe, but why do you feel like this?" I asked as Twilight began taking notes.

She sighed. "It is the same reason from a thousand years ago."

"Okay, what was that?"

I felt a tug on my pants. "Zane, What are you doing?" Whispered Twilight.

"Trying to help. And yes I've read the story, I know. I just want her to get it out." I whispered back.

"You know about Nightmare Moon?" Luna asked with a surprised voice.

Damn she heard us. "Yes Princess. Twilight told me about that night. And I have read the legend."

"It is true, but do not think such a thing will happen again." She said in a serious voice.

I shook my head. "Never crossed my mind. I am not here to predict you actions, I am here to help you. Now please," I motioned towards her. "Continue."

She nodded her head. "The ponies frolic and play in the day time but sleep during my night. I put my very soul into the night's sky and nopony stays awake to admire it!" She said with a raised voice. "I wonder why I even bother anymore."

I was beginning to see the reason now. "So you did almost nothing to the sky tonight?"

"Yes, to see if anypony would notice." She sighed. "Alas, you two are the only ones that seemed to."

I held my chin. "Well you cant be certain of that Luna." Twilight's eyes widened, but Luna ignored me not using her title. "Not everypony has the bits to make a personal visit."

She almost looked offended. "You think I don't know that?"

"I know that you know." I scratched the back of my head. "Anyway how does that make you feel? Not appreciated, yes. But what else?"

She looked down at her desk. "Not liked, unloved, unworthy, Jealous of my sister, worthless." Silent tears started to escape her eyes.

"That's not true, Princess!" Twilight exclaimed.

"Is that So Twilight Sparkle? Than why do ponies still mistake me for Nightmare Moon!?" She stomped a hoof on her desk. "I don't look anything like her!"

The masses see what they want to see.

"That is very true." They both looked at me. "They see what they want to see. They don't know you, they just know the legend. So they think of you as her." I paused in thought. "Have you tried to prove that you're not Nightmare Moon anymore?"

She glared at me. "You think I haven't thought of that!? I was the first thing I did!" She shouted.

I scooted the chair back a few feet. "Okay, okay! Has Celestia given a royal pardon?"

"Yes..." She said with an annoyed tone.

"Hmm... Then you keep trying." I smiled. "Let me tell you something Princess: I know a pony that goes by the name of DJ Pon-3. She works at a night club, and wakes up in the evening and goes to sleep in the morning. More than once I've caught her staring at the night sky. Hell, I've even asked her why she does it. You know what she told me?"

she raised an eyebrow. "What would the be?"

"She told me the reason she does it, is to calm herself before she goes to work. She's even made a song inspired by you're night! She appreciates your work as do Twilight and I. And I know how you feel. I've felt like everything you're feeling right now. Best thing to do is seek help. I haven't and I nearly went crazy. Go to your sister for help Luna." I looked at my watch. "And another thing before we go. I may not be from this world but I appreciate your work. As would plenty of people in my world.

"So let's just say half of Equestria's populace is in favor of your beautiful night. You are liked Princess. You are appreciated. And most importantly, you are loved. If not by the ponies then by Celestia, Twilight, and I. Let them play in the day." I shrugged. "The real beauty resides in the night."

She looked at her desk and closed her eyes. "Are you being truthful?"

"One hundred percent." I nodded. "I would not lie about this matter."

She opened her eyes and smiled. "Then I thank you. You're words mean a lot to me. You have helped me, Zane. You really have."

I smiled. "I am glad to hear that, your Highness."

She shook her head. "Please, just call me Luna."

"Very well Luna. Is there anything else?"

"Yes, expect a masterpiece in the sky tomorrow night! I shall do it in tribute of you."

"I will definitely stick around for it." I smiled and nodded. "Well Luna, Twilight and I have to go. If you ever feel down again, just remember what I told you, okay?"

"I will." She nodded. "Thank you again, Zane. Have a good evening."

"You as well." I turned to leave and waved.

"Bye Princess." Twilight said trotting along with me.

"Goodbye Twilight."

Twilight ended the spell, and we exited the room. We said goodbye to the guards and found our way out. We were on our way to the train station now.

"Wow that was a good speech, Zane."

"Really? Haven't noticed." I shrugged.

"How did you learn to cheer somepony up like that?"

"Well, you know, when you have friends that are dealing with a lot of drama you just kinda learn."

"I can see that." Twilight smiled and nodded.

"Yep" We continued walking and suddenly I heard hoofsteps behind us. We turned around, and it was Luna.

"Oh hello again Luna." Twilight said. I raised an eyebrow, curious as to what the Princess wants.

"Um...yes, hello. I was wondering if you two wanted to stay in one of the guest rooms?"

I thought about it for a bit. "Well I guess that would make more sense." I shrugged. Twilight nodded.

"I also wanted to know if you wanted to watch me make tomorrow's night sky?"

"Sounds like a once in a life time opportunity." Twilight said. I shrugged and nodded.

"Oh wonderful! This way." She said as began to lead. It almost looked like she was skipping.

Twilight and I chuckled and followed her.

Feels good to help somepony out.

Author's Note:

Okay I lied. This will probably be my last story for awhile. Hoped you enjoyed it.

Comments ( 1 )

(Self Insert)

Oh, who am I kidding? I haven't even read it yet. Description seems interesting enough.

Login or register to comment