• Published 15th Sep 2013
  • 13,431 Views, 480 Comments

Pillow Case - Taffy



When a simple small town Pegasus finds herself out of work, she takes up the offer of an old friend to move to the big city. After all, it has been over ten years since portals to the human world were opened, ponies do this all the time now right?

  • ...
21
 480
 13,431

PC Phone Home - "ICC log time: 14:55:05-15:38:43 10.25.XX, IL, USA to W. MN, EqK"

Author's Note:

How would you all feel about an 'Ask Pillow Case' tumblr? I wonder if that might be a better fit for this character and her story.

Pillow Case
by BG (Mr. Blue)
== PC Phone Home ==





“Yes mom I’m doing fine. Everything is really amazing so far. This place is really amazing. Berry says it’s…”

“...”

“yeah she’s doing great…”

“...”

“No she’s living on her own remember? She’s got a great job at this bar. It’s one of those really fancy city bars, but fancier because it’s a human one. They've got like, these TVs on the walls everywhere that are all all flat and super detailed. It’s more colors than a…”

“...”

“Yes I've been brushing my feathers mom. I’m a grown mare, I can take care of my own wings. Anyway there’s this computer thing at the bar that…”

“...”

“well no not really but I thought some of them were at first. I almost freaked out until Strawberry explained that apparently, this is kind of cool, they have like this way of making a material that imitates leather but isn’t really, and they use it on all the stools and seats in the bar. It’s actually very comfortable and they say it’s much better than the real…”

“...”

“Yes I know what Mrs. Belle says but there’s a difference between her and the cows in the human world. Like, a lot of differences. Berry said she saw one here. They really aren’t the same at all. You know what they used to call dwarf horses here before the portals right?”

“...”

“...Yep, exactly. Then we messed them up and they needed a new name for them. It’s weird to think about. I guess it’s like if we used the word “human” for monkeys or something…“

“...”

“Yes I got my preening brush in the mail. I almost had to go buy one, thanks so much for sending it! I didn't have money for a new one it but Berry said she might help…”

“...”

“Yeah she’s a great friend. It’s so weird seeing her again. We've both changed a lot. I bet Granny would think she’s crazier than Stitchy. She’s got more human friends than pony friends. I’m almost the only fillyfriend she knows right now. I swear, sometimes she’s just two legs over being a human herself…”

“...”

“No of course she doesn't…”

“...”

“I mean, I don’t think she does…”

“...”

“That’s not very good for your digestion…”

“...”

“No I don’t think even humans eat that. Mom, you’re just being gross now…”

“...”

“Ewww! Mom, haha stop, eww. I can’t believe you said that!”

“...”

“...Oh really? Well, you’ll never guess what they put on pizza here…”

“... … … ...”

“Wait. Wait. Wait, you did WHAT in the academy?”

“... ...”

“…really? A whole wing?”

“...”

“...Wow. I don’t know mom. That’s… wow. I am so glad I didn't to Cloudsdale Academy if that’s the kind of stuff you guys did there.”

“...”

“I know a lot more ponies eat fish and stuff near the coast but…”

“...”

“Mom. Mom, I’m in the human world. They eat all kinds of things here. You were giving me a hard time about leather bar stools and you ate a whole seagull wing as a dare!”

“...”

“Well I bet it did taste alright with that kind of sauce. That stuff works with everything right?”

“...”

“...Well maybe I will some time! Ok, no. Wait. No. Not going to happen. I mean, ok, I guess I’d be fine with others eating it but really it’s all… blegh, the smell alone makes me feel sick…”

“...”

“Well I’d really appreciate a bottle of Uncle Pickle’s secret sauce. I haven’t had that stuff in forever, but no, even that won’t make me eat, what was it again? A seagull wing? Mom... how did they even go about… I mean why did they… It didn't have feathers on it right?”

“...”

“…’to give you its courage’? Mom, this is why I avoid your friends from the academy. They are really, really, weird. I am so glad I’m not a weather pony.”

“...”

“Oh you wouldn't believe it. Just yesterday everyone was going on and on about how it was supposed to rain because some pony on the human TV said it might, and all the humans went out with umbrellas and Strawberry put on rubber boots, and all that, but nothing happened! There were some clouds but the rain ones were really far away. I kept telling Strawberry but she didn't’t believe me at first. Emily did but she doesn't know very many pegasi so she’s…”

“...”

“Oh yeah she’s human, one of Berry’s friends…”

“...”

“No mom…”

“...”

“No, you’d probably really like her…”

“...”

“No listen ok? Just imagine… ok just imagine me if I was human…”

“...”

“Just bear with me on this.”

“...”

“I know right? But just imagine that, but with a black mane. That’s Emily…”

“...”

“No seriously. Strawberry swears by this. She keeps joking and saying she can’t tell us apart. I swear on Celestia, she’s even a vegetarian and likes to knit…”

“...”

“Yeah that’s right. It’s what a human says when they don’t eat meat. And she’s really nice and friendly too.”

“...”

“Oh yes, I told you, Strawberry has lots of human friends.”

“...”

“Well it's funny you should mention that mom. I didn't want to mention this in a letter, but apparently, ok don't freak out or anything, but her other roommate is her boyfriend, and he's a human!”

“...”

“What”

“...”

“What do you mean you knew that? Who told you?”

“...”

“And you didn't even think of telling me? You knew all this time and never mentioned it?”

“...”

“Well no, we almost never wrote each other anymore. I didn't find this out until I got here! I had no idea you and her mom were still in touch!”

“...”

“No I'm not mad, but I am upset! I almost freaked out in front of Berry when she told me. I didn't even know anypony did anything like that. I mean... I guess I should have expected it, but I never…”

“...”

“No I'm sorry, I am overreacting again, you're right. So, how's dad doing? Has he found a job?”

“...”

“Well yeah I guess I didn't expect him to find anything overnight. I just still feel bad about…”

“...”

“I know it's not my fault. I just miss the place. Everything made sense working there... I'm still looking for a job here. I think I might have to be a delivery mare until I find something better. They're always looking for any pegasi they can get for that. Have you heard from Shaggy or Stitchy at all? Did you send them my letters?”

“... … … … … … … … … … …”

“... …”

“That's good. I can't wait t-to get them.”

“... ...”

“Aww, that's sweet of him. I wish I could have been there for his party. I'm glad he was t-thinking of me.”

“... ...?”

“N-no I'm fine. Just tell me more about the party.”

“...”

“No I-I'm not. *sniff* I'm just…”

I…

“Oh mom, what am I doing here? I-I can't fit in here. I'm not like Strawberry. I c-can't just pretend I'm not a p-pony! Celestia's sake, I don't even know any other ponies here, and she acts so human that sometimes I... I don't even know, it's just different and scary and I feel so alone!”

“...”

“No that's not really it. It's all just new. But I don't want to be a delivery mare mom! Is that really all there is for me here? Is that my destiny now? Why d-don't I just get some p-paint and draw a big red X on my cutie mark! It's n-not like I need it anymore r-r-right? ...Right?”

“... ... ... ... ...? ”

“... No I don't need to you come pick me up. I'm sorry for yelling. I'm really homesick I think.”

“...?”

“No... No I don't know. But what else can I do? The shop is gone. I can't even go back home anyway! Dad might not ever find a job there himself. All my brothers have moved away and w-we hardly saw them anymore! A-all my friends left too. I don't want to feel alone again. But then, here I am, even more alone than before right? No ponies anywhere who know me.”

“...”

“No I guess I'm not.”

“...”

“Yeah even if they're all humans and Strawberry they've all been so nice. I...”

“...”

“Well, I guess I didn't…”

“... ...”

“No, that's not what I meant before. Me and strawberry still get along great. Better than when we were fillies It's just... Different. She's a different pony. It's like making a brand new friend.”

“...”

“Oh ponyfeathers I'm a stupid pony. I'm a terrible friend. I don't even know how to be a friend anymore I guess. What am I doing here mom? What am I supposed to do?”

“...”

“Well it's like a fancy drink thing. I forget what it's supposed to be. It's just a glass with a strawberry on a stick.”

“...”

“She said it's because she likes serving and mixing drinks and things. Shouldn't you know this if you and her mom…”

“...”

“Well yeah. Humans have beds. I don't see where you're…”

“... ...”

“Ok, I get it. But I'm not sure they even have stores like ours here, I think everything is made in factories…”

“...”

“Well of course they they have salespon-humans in their stores.”

“...”

“Really? You really think that? But I thought…”

“...”

“Well yeah, Dad did make me do sales a lot after that. I just never liked it because old Mrs. Cornflower would always be so rude whenever she came in. I thought dad was just trying to avoid her.”

“...”

“He did? I don't know mom. I never really thought of myself as a salespony.”

“... ... ... ... ... ... ...”

“Well ok, I'll ask berry about that. I don't know though. You're right... You're right, there's bound to be something that fits me. I mean, they even have clothes in my size here. They make them in factories but they even make some that fit a little pony like me. So there has to be a job that fits me here too, right? It's not like the world is completely against me if they make such comfortable clothes in my size.”

“...”

“That wasn't supposed to be funny mom. I'm being serious.”

“...”

“But the stitching is really finely done! And the material, even the textiles in Manehatten weren't this fine. Their silk isn't as soft and everypony knows how much of it they import from Equestria. But their cotton is better than anything I've seen, and then they can mix in some synthetic stuff and…”

“...”

“No, I'm sorry I did get carried away.”

“...”

“Really? Me, a full time salespony? I... I need to think about that some more mom. I'm really not sure.”

“...”

“Yeah I guess it wouldn't be too bad to just try a delivery job for a little while. It can't be that bad and I don't want to be a freeloader no matter what berry says.”

“...”

“Yeah I'll figure something out.”

“...”

“No the comm portal is supposed to be open for another twenty minutes but it's still expensive and I know how tight money is right now. I promise when I find out what my destiny here is I'll... I'll send part of every paycheck home, just to help out.”

“...”

“No mom I want to. You don't have to tell dad if you don't think he'd like it.”

“...”

“Oh really? We'll see about... No mom what are you doing? I'm not going to race with dad to find a job first. Honestly you weather ponies…”

“...”

“Haha, no, you're the best mom. The best weather pony ever! You have all the courage of a seagull right?”

“...”

“I didn't say they weren't. I'm sure coastal winds are tough on the birds around there.”

“...”

“Well you're definitely better than a human world weather pony. I bet that mare wouldn't know what to do with a storm cloud if it rained on her party, I don't care which world we're talking about. You are the best weather pony ever.”

“...”

“Well I shouldn't hold you up then. Strawberry's probably getting bored waiting for me outside.”

“...”

“I love you too mom. Tell dad I love him and I'm sorry I missed him. I'll call back as soon as I can reserve a slot at the Inter-world Comm. Center. Apparently they're very busy this time of year.”

“...”

“I-I l-Iove you too mom. B-bye.”



*sniff*