• Published 26th May 2013
  • 779 Views, 7 Comments

It's a Date? - marley



A Manehatten weather pony is on vacation and needs a guide to help him tour the Everfree Forest. Looks like a job for Rainbow Dash. Two ponies with a lot in common find themselves forced to get to know each other. Where does this relationship go from

  • ...
1
 7
 779

Part 4

Chapter 16

Rainbow Dash awoke to the sound of her alarm and crawled out of her bed. After making herself somewhat presentable, she quietly went to Chase's room to see if he was awake. She found Chase still asleep on one side of the bed. Her sense of humor rose to the surface and she stealthily joined him in bed. He didn't awaken as she pulled the blanket slowly over herself. Rolling onto her side she faced Chase and waited for him to wake up.

Minutes passed and so did Rainbow Dash's patience. She scooted closer and placed a foreleg over Chase's shoulder. It took a squeeze or two before Chase opened his eyes.

The first thing he saw was Rainbow's blue face and colorful mane just a hoof width from his own.

“Good morning stud,” said Rainbow Dash, “last night was fantastic.”

Chase awoke fully. “Wwwha?” he stammered, “did we? I mean, we didn't, did we?”

“Don't tell me you don't remember,” said Dash in mock anger, “I suppose you don't remember all those promises either!”

“Promises?” replied Chase, “I, uh, what? What did I..don't remember any...”

“You stallions are all alike,” continued Dash, “one wild night and I'll probably never hear from you again!”

Chase sat up stunned, trying desperately to regain a memory he wished he possessed. Rainbow Dash couldn't keep a straight face any longer.

“Bwahahahaha,”she laughed rolling off the bed and holding her sides. “That was great! I wish I had a picture of your face right now!”

Chase got it and slapped both hooves against his head. “Okay, you got me,” he said, “now I'm going to get you!”

Chase dove off the bed and tried to land on Rainbow Dash but she was too quick. She rolled aside, landed on her hooves and was instantly in the air. Chase was between her and the door and was on his hooves too. He jumped towards her and extended his wings. Dash squealed, spun in midair and flew out the window.

Normally, Rainbow Dash would have simply out flown Chase and escaped but she was laughing too hard to build up speed. Chase, on the other hoof, was determined to catch her. Dash managed to evade Chase a few times by turning at the last second but this made her laugh even harder and Chase performed a mid-air tackle. Dash twisted and tried to break free but the stallion was too strong and she was nearly crippled with laughter.

“Ha!” said Chase, “I caught you, now you owe me a kiss.”

“How does that work?” asked Dash. “I don't remember making a bet.”

“Because I won't let go until you do,” replied Chase.

“So?” said Dash. She felt quite comfortable flying along beneath Chase and was in no hurry to change the situation. She looked around, enjoying the morning sun. With a shock, she realized that they were highly visible to a large portion of Ponyville. Deciding that she didn't want to be seen in the somewhat compromising position she was in, Dash craned her neck around to look at Chase. He stretched his neck forward and she was just barely able to kiss him on the nose.

“Okay, Chase, you've had your kiss,” said Dash, “now let me go.”

“You waited too long, it's two kisses now,” said Chase.

“Oh, come on,” complained Dash, “this is too awkward. I'm a great flier, not a contortionist.”

Chase was able to inch forward slightly. “There, that should do it,” he said.

“Last chance Chase,” warned Rainbow, “I mean it.”

Chase just smiled.

Rainbow Dash abruptly folded her wings which caused them to nose down and lose altitude. Chase flapped and tried to hold her up. Dash did not help. She opened her wings but at an angle that forced them into an even steeper dive. Chase tried to compensate but whenever he tried to pull up Rainbow Dash forced them back into a dive and their flight became ever more erratic. Chase was having a difficult time holding on now and his grip slipped. Instantly Dash took advantage of the lapse and somersaulted out of his grasp. Chase shot over her and had to use all of his skills to pull up before he hit the ground. Rainbow Dash in the meantime was already speeding back to her house. Chase took aim and sped after her.

Rainbow Dash reached her home and landed on the porch by her front door. Turning, she saw Chase rapidly approaching. He was grinning and obviously in the mood for some more fun. Rainbow Dash decided that enough was enough. She wanted some breakfast and still had to meet with the weather ponies who would start to arrive soon. She waited for Chase and saw that he wasn't slowing down much. “He's going to grab me again and keep flying,” she thought, “not this time.” She stepped toward to the edge with a smile on her face. Chase was almost upon her when Dash hopped off the edge and dropped. Deprived of a target, Chase tried to brake and hit the side of Dash's house. He fell back onto the porch.

Rainbow Dash slowly reappeared over the edge of her porch. “You okay?” she asked.

“Ow,” replied Chase. “Whoever built this place did a good job. Those are some dense clouds.”

“Come on,” said Rainbow Dash, “time to quit fooling around. I have to work today and the team will be here soon. I'm going to fix us some breakfast.” She landed and walked inside.

Chase picked himself up and went inside to find Rainbow Dash at work in the kitchen. “I didn't make you mad, did I?” he said.

“Not really,” said Dash, “as long as I get to eat my breakfast and get my schedule ready.”

“Good,” said Chase as he rubbed his neck, “I'd hate to see what would happen if I did.”

“You are okay aren't you?” said Dash, “I didn't think you'd hit that hard.”

“Yeah, I'm alright,” said Chase, “wing is working fine too. Think I could take the rest of that ointment along when I leave?”

“Sure,” said Dash, “and that reminds me, we should stop by Zecora's later and check on that feather potion or whatever it is.”

Dash set a few bowls of vegetables and fruit on the table. She took a basket of hay from a shelf in the pantry and added that to menu.

“Dig in,” she told Chase, but she didn't join him. Instead she took a mouthful of hay and walked into her work room. She returned with a clipboard, walked to a window and once again went airborne. She wasn't gone long and returned to her breakfast. Between bites, Dash made some notations on the clipboard and checked some schedules. Chase left her alone as she worked and concentrated on his own breakfast.

“All done,” announced Rainbow Dash. She attacked the bowl of fruit and ate as fast as she could.

“So what are your plans for today?” asked Chase.

Rainbow Dash swallowed hard. “It's going to be a busy day. I'm taking the Everfree Patrol this morning and I'll have Thunderlane take the rest of the ponies to gather up some rain clouds and head them to the southern sector. They are supposed to get a good two hour rain today but I know there aren't enough clouds around Ponyville to give them that much.”

“So what are you going to do? Send a request to Cloudsdale?” asked Chase.

“No,” replied Dash, “I think we can get some more from over Everfree. After Cloudchaser and I get done checking on a possible storm heading in from the west, we'll head southeast and look for some clouds closer to where we need them. Should check the reservoir level too in case the storm goes into the northern mountains. It should be okay.”

“Mind if I tag along and help out?” asked Chase.

“No, I don't mind,” said Dash. “You could get another flight over the forest that way.”

“And it would free up another one of your ponies,” said Chase.

“No it won't,” replied Rainbow Dash, “Cloudchaser is still coming with us.”

“Afraid to be alone with me?” teased Chase.

“No,” said Rainbow Dash, “it's just that three of us can bring over more clouds than two. Thunderlane and four ponies can handle getting the storm started. You can go with him instead if you want but I'll take another pony from his crew to replace you. By the way, if you go with Thunderlane, you'll also be taking orders from him.”

“No,” said Chase, “I'll go with you. Just curious though; why wouldn't you put me in charge instead of Thunderlane?”

“I trust that you know what you're doing, Chase, but you don't know where you'll be doing it. I can tell Thunderlane some real basic instructions and get things moving. With you, I'd have to spend time while everypony else is standing around.” Rainbow Dash hadn't meant to insult Chase and gazed at him to judge his reaction.

“Makes sense,” said Chase, “I'd rather fly with you anyway.”

“Good,” said Dash, “we'll get to spend all day together now. We'd better get outside, they should be arriving now.” She stuffed another clump of hay into her mouth and headed for the door.

* * *
Chase hurried to finish his breakfast and followed her. He caught up to Rainbow Dash as she exited her house. Thunderlane, Slipstream and Flitter were already waiting on the porch. The other three weather team members, Star Hunter, Cloudchaser and Silverspeed could be seen approaching.

Rainbow Dash sat down and fiddled with her notes while she waited on the rest of the team which eventually assembled in front of her. She stood and addressed the team.

“Okay team,” she began, “as some of you probably know, we've got a busy day today. Cloudchaser, you're with me. We'll be going on a patrol and to look for some more clouds. Chase must be bored or something because he volunteered to come with us. Thunderlane, you take everypony else and get some rain started in the southern sector. There aren't enough clouds around Ponyville to finish the job so we'll see what we can find over Everfree. Start on the Sweet Apple Acres side and work your way across and we'll join you later. Any questions?”

There were no questions so the team separated and flew out on their missions. It was not far to the reservoir which was low enough to accommodate a large volume of water. The three pegasi turned and headed towards the Everfree Forest. By the time they reached the approaching storm, it was breaking into smaller bands and drifting into the vacant lands west of Ponyville. One small group of clouds was cutting across Everfree directly towards Ponyville. Rainbow Dash led her small group around the clouds.

“This will be perfect,” said Dash, “all we have to do is wait a little while and then send it to the south sector.”

“I don't understand,” said Chase, “why not round them up and tow them down there now?”

“Distance,” replied Dash. “I know it might not seem like it but it's a long way to the south sector from here and that's a pretty big pile of clouds. We'll be better off continuing our patrol east and then coming back later after the wind does our work for us.”

“Just like we did last spring when we cut off part of that storm coming in from the east,” said Cloudchaser.

“Yep,” said Dash, “and that worked out great.”

“I get what you're trying to do, if you're planning on the three of us moving that whole band,” said Chase, “this should be interesting.”

They left the rain clouds and headed east. It took them nearly two hours to circle around and return to where Rainbow Dash hoped to find the rainclouds. Chase was impressed by the accuracy of her prediction and told her so.

“When you've seen the same thing happen before it's not a big deal,” said Dash. “I could have been wrong but it was a pretty good bet that the clouds would be near here.”

“And it's about thirty miles closer too,” added Cloudchaser. “Besides, Rainbow Dash is really good at her guesses.”

“I've told you before, Cloudchaser,” said Rainbow Dash, “there are records of this stuff. I went out this morning and took a look at the sky and then looked in the folder for the type of weather I expected. There was an almost identical match. It wasn't just a guess.”

“Sure,” said Cloudchaser, “but you still had to decide which option to pick. You're usually right on the bits.”

“That's true,” mused Rainbow Dash, “just more evidence of how awesome I am.” She laughed.

“Okay Ms. Awesome,” said Chase, “what now?”

“Pick the largest cloud you can move and gather the rest here and stick 'em fast to this big cloud,” said Dash. “We'll each take a cloud down to the south sector, get the rest of the team and then come back for this big one.”

“I'll take that one,” said Chase, pointing to a large cloud.

“That one over there for me,” said Cloudchaser.

“I'll do that one,” said Rainbow Dash. She selected a cloud nearly as large as the one Chase picked.

The three pegasi rounded up the rest of the smaller clouds and attached them to the main cloud. They went to the clouds they selected and after Rainbow Dash took aim on the southern sector, they began pushing the clouds towards Ponyville.

It was slow going at first but after they got the clouds moving they soon made good time. Every now and then Rainbow Dash had to fly above her cloud to make sure they were holding a true course. After about half an hour of steady going they neared the border of the Everfree Forest and could see the storm that the weather team had already assembled. Thunderlane saw them approaching and led the rest of the team to meet them. The extra wing power soon had the clouds in place and the rest of the south sector was now getting rain. They left Cloudchaser to look after things and the rest of the team went back for the largest cloud. It was mid afternoon by the time they got back with it and spread it out. There was a little extra so they had fun breaking it up.

“Alright team!” said Rainbow Dash, “good job, all we have to do is monitor the rain for the rest of the day. We'll eat lunch in shifts. Thunderlane, take Flitter, Silverspeed and Slipstream and you can break first. Be back in an hour.”

After consulting with Star Hunter about when the first rains had started, Rainbow Dash decided to halt the area that had been under the rain the longest. Some of the clouds were simply merged with the others while the most depleted were obliterated. Chase finally got to do what he loved to do the most; cloud busting. Whether it was because he had been out of field work for so long or that he was trying to impress Rainbow Dash, Chase threw himself into the task with gusto. He proved so good at cloud busting that the other pegasi simply flew aside and let him have at it.

As he finished, Chase was treated to applause from Rainbow Dash, Star Hunter and Cloudchaser who were relaxing on a nearby cloud. He looked around sheepishly and made a mock bow in their direction which changed the applause to laughter.

“Looks like you can do something besides office work, Chase,” said Rainbow Dash. “Sure you don't want a job here? You could get out and do this every day.”

“Tempting, but no thanks,” replied Chase, “I like my job and the city life. That was a fun change of pace though. I might have to make a point of flying with the team more.”

Chase landed on the cloud next to Rainbow Dash and the three pegasi awaited the other half of the team to return. Being pegasi they didn't sit still for long, despite all the work they had done. Soon they were all chasing Rainbow Dash in a game of follow the leader. It was flown at an easy pace, the object being to mimic the maneuver rather than out fly the leader. Rainbow Dash saw the rest of the team approaching so it was time to end the game. She did a midair somersault followed by a spinning roll and dove into a loop. Cloudchaser was able to follow along the longest but Star Hunter and Chase couldn't duplicate the series of quick, tight tricks.

“That's it gang,” she called to her group, “let's go get some lunch.”

“What should we do while you're gone?” asked Thunderlane.

“Just monitor the rain and keep it in place,” said Dash. “It should be time to break it up when we get back.”

Chapter 17

Dash's part of the flew into Ponyville and hit the market. They ate together on the grass near the gazebo. All were hungry so there was not much talk until they finished their meal. After lunch Rainbow Dash started a conversation in order to keep them all awake, as much as to pass the time.

“So Chase,” she began, “what do you think of the way we do things around here?”

Chase hesitated before he answered. “It's a lot more...casual, but you get things done. I just wonder how smooth things would be without you.”

“Thunderlane can handle things pretty well,” said Dash. “He can be a little lazy sometimes, but he's good.”

“He can't organize things like you though,” said Star Hunter. “He can't predict the weather as well either.”

“Aww, he just needs some practice,” said Dash, “Cloudchaser, you're pretty good at predicting the weather. Maybe you can give him a hoof next time he's in charge... unless I give you a chance to see what you can do.”

“Really?” said Cloudchaser, “you'd do that?”

“Sure,” said Rainbow Dash, “it wouldn't hurt to have another pony to take lead. What if both of us are unavailable?”

“Wait,” said Chase, “you mean to say you don't have a chain of command list?”

“Sure I do,” said Rainbow Dash, “it's a regulation. It's a matter of having the experience. There is a list and an envelope of instructions for each pony on the list. There are copies in my office and at the town hall.”

“I see,” said Chase, “but they're not trained as team leaders.”

“Thunderlane is,” replied Dash, “and there are instructions for each pony to follow. Star Hunter, you're the lowest on the list of anypony here. You have to lead. What do you do?”

Star Hunter took a breath and closed his eyes. “I go to the town hall and get my envelope and inform the mayor. Open the envelope and follow the instructions. They tell me I should call in all the part-time weather ponies and make them full time. There is also a list of ponies I should ask to volunteer to fill in the team. I send one pony to get them and have them report. I inform Cloudsdale of what is going on and request help, and possibly a new lead pony, if necessary.”

“What do you mean if necessary?” asked Chase. “If more than half your team is incapacitated, I'd say it was necessary.”

“Well, if it's due to minor injuries then we'd try to get by until they return,” said Star Hunter. “It would be the same if they were missing, like Rainbow Dash was the other day, we wouldn't send for help until we made a thorough search. If ponies were seriously injured or ...dead, we'd send a pegasus to Cloudsdale immediately.” Star Hunter looked at the ground. He didn't even want to think about those last two possibilities. Cloudchaser brushed him with her wing, a sympathetic look on her face.

“Very good, Star,” said Rainbow Dash. “See Chase? I have it covered.”

“I guess,” admitted Chase, “sort of. Are all the instructions the same?”

“No, of course not,” said Rainbow Dash. “Sure, some things are the same, like where to find charts and schedules and stuff but I personalized each one.”

“How?” asked Chase.

“None of your business,” said Dash. “They all have a personal message from me meant for their eyes only.”

“I see,” said Chase, “so you just made up your own protocol? That's not really within the regs.”

“Yes it is,” said Dash. “I can't give you the exact number or paragraph but it's in there. It says that on teams with less than twenty ponies, the hierarchy is up to the team leader.”

“You found a loophole?” said Chase. “Rainbow, what do you tell the inspectors when they ask to see you plans? Don't they try to get you on the standardized plan.”

“Inspectors?” Dash laughed, “I haven't seen an inspector in a couple years. The last one did try to get us on that but once he saw how we worked together and I showed him the loophole, he just checked it off and I've never seen him again.”

“You're kidding!” said Chase in amazement. “Our annual inspection is something I wouldn't wish on a Diamond Dog. Maybe I will take a job here after all.”

Cloudchaser laughed. “Is that the only reason?” she asked coyly.

Chase gave up on covering up his feelings. It was obvious to everypony that he and Rainbow Dash had become close. “I can think of a reason or two,” he replied with a glance in Dash's direction.

Rainbow Dash blushed and stared daggers at Cloudchaser. Her frustration level was reaching it's limit and she didn't need more reminders that she and Chase were soon to be separated against their wills. Chase returned to the subject of the weather team before she could speak.

“So, Rainbow,” said Chase, “you just set things up the way you want and do as you please? You would definitely not fit in with the Manehatten team.”

“I told you I'd rather run the show here than take the back seat in Manehatten,” said Dash with a shrug. “I could fit into your team if I wanted to. I mean, if all I had to do was follow orders and let you take the heat, it would be easy.”

“I suppose so, when you put it like that,” said Chase. “I still find it amazing that Ponyville is so independent. Cloudsdale really doesn't bother with you very much?”

“And I hope it stays that way,” interrupted Cloudchaser.

“Here, here,” added Star Hunter. “I like things the way they are. As long as Rainbow Dash is here, we'll be okay.”

Chase did not reply. 'As long as she's here,' he thought, 'and what if she leaves?'

A voice broke his revery. “Hey Chase!” came a voice from above, “what are you doing here?”

Looking up he saw a mauve colored pegasus with a bright red mane and tail. He wore a satchel and had a cutie mark of three red lightning bolts.

“Hiya Red,” said Chase with a smile, “I'm here on vacation. What brings you to town?”

“Delivering a dispatch,” replied Red as he reached into the satchel, “here you go, Rainbow Dash.”

“Thanks,” said Rainbow Dash as she accepted the letter.

“I guess you know everypony here,” said Chase to Red.

“Just Rainbow Dash,” replied the stallion.

“I see,” said Chase, “well, these are my new friends Cloudchaser and Star Hunter. Guys, meet Red Blaze from the Cloudsdale Weather Headquarters.”

“Pleased to meet you,” said Red, “but I'm with a courier company now. I got fed up with being in an office all day so I took a job with another ex-weather pony delivering special dispatches. Pays about the same but I get to fly more.”

While Chase was making introductions, Rainbow Dash was reading the dispatch. “Wow!” she said, “that was a fast reply. Hey Chase, they liked my idea. They want to see us in three weeks at the monthly meeting.”

“That's great!” said Chase, “I thought it was a good one.” He was also thinking that it would be good to see Rainbow again so soon.

“What idea?” said Cloudchaser and Star Hunter together.

“An exchange program for weather ponies,” said Rainbow Dash. “We send a couple of ponies to other towns to see how they do things and get to know each other. It will be ongoing so that all the teams will have a chance to visit all the other towns.”

“That is so cool!” said Cloudchaser, “I volunteer right now. Can I go to Trottingham?”

“Me too,” said Star Hunter, “but can I go to Phillydelphia?”

“Slow down,” said Rainbow Dash, “nothing is decided yet. We should be getting back to bust those clouds. Chase, you can stay and talk to your friend if you want, we can handle this.”

“Sure,” said Chase, “go ahead and I'll catch up.”

“We'll save you a few clouds,” said Dash with a smile. She took off followed by Cloudchaser and Star Hunter.

“I thought you were on vacation?” said Red.

“Long story,” laughed Chase. “Rainbow was my guide on a little adventure through the Everfree Forest and I decided to get a little flight time in today busting clouds. Felt pretty good.”

Red laughed. “You always liked that part of the job. I remember that.”

“This has been a great vacation,” said Chase, “got a few things for my collection, got to meet both the Princesses, met a lot of great mares. I never thought a little town like this would be this much fun.”

“Ponyville is different, that's for sure,” said Red looking around the town, “more important than you'd think too. There's kind of a 'hooves off' policy regarding it back at HQ.”

“That's interesting,” said Chase, though he thought he knew why.

“Yeah,” said Red, “a couple years back an inspector pointed out that no pony here had any advanced certification and there was talk of relieving Rainbow Dash and sending in a more experienced pony. Thing was, there is this regulation about small weather teams that didn't allow them to do it. They re-wrote the regulation and sent it to Canterlot for approval. A couple of days latter a carriage shows up with a team of guards and guess who walks in?”

“Celestia?” guessed Chase.

“No,” laughed Red, “Princess Luna. She walks in without saying anything and right into the head pony's office. The door closed and two guards stayed outside. She didn't need them. No pony wanted to go anywhere near her. She was in there for about five minutes and no pony knows exactly what she said to the commander. There was one moment when her highness raised her voice and everypony in the office heard her say; 'Silence! Do you dare to question our command?' and shortly after that, she left. Since then, as far as I know, no pony from headquarters has come out here.”

“I can believe it,” said Chase in awe. “I met Princess Luna two days ago and she was actually pretty nice. I guess she has a dark side...no pun intended.”

Red laughed. “Yeah, I won't cross her, that's for sure! So, you said you met some mares. Anypony special?”

“Yeah,” said Chase, “I did. I don't know if anything will come of it though.”

“She not quite as taken with you as you are with her?” asked Red. “Don't worry, if she doesn't come around I'm sure you'll find some pony else.”

“That isn't the problem,” said Chase. “She feels the same as me but she doesn't want to leave Ponyville.”

Red thought for a moment. “That's tough,” he said at last. “Is she any pony I know?”

“Yes,” said Chase.

“So who is..” Red started to speak but he jumped to the answer himself. “Oh no, you don't mean Rainbow Dash, do you?”

Chase smiled at his friend. “You were always the smart one, Red.”

Red laughed. He thought it funny that his hard working, practical friend would fall for somepony like Rainbow Dash. “And you always aimed high. You and Rainbow Dash? I can't think of a mare that's more different from you. You do know she's kinda nuts, right?”

“What do you mean?” said Chase defensively.

“Take it easy,” said Red. “I just meant that she ...um used to get into all kinds of trouble. She also has quite a high opinion of herself and doesn't think rules apply to her. And the way she flies, well, now that's really nuts.”

“Maybe she's right,” said Chase.

“You got it bad, huh?” said Red. “I wish you luck, buddy. I can't say I blame you for falling for her. I made a pass at her once and I thought she was going to kill me. Sure is cute though.”

“Sounds like her,” said Chase with a laugh, “and she is cute but there's more to her than that. What kind of trouble was she in?”

“It was mostly when she was young,” said Red, “dumb foal stuff for the most part. Skipping school, a lot of rule breaking, illegal racing, a few fights. Nothing real serious, just a lot of it. She had a knack for getting caught too. Nothing we didn't do.” He hoofed Chase on the shoulder. “The higher ups were glad when she left Cloudsdale and came here...at least until they heard she was team leader.”

“I bet that didn't go over well,” said Chase. “Anyway, she's doing a fine job here. I got to see her work first hoof. Unorthodox, but what she does works.”

“That idea was hers?” asked Chase. “I mean really hers, not yours and you're just letting Dash take the credit?”

“No,” said Chase, “it was hers. I added my endorsement but that's all.”

“I didn't take her for being that smart,” said Red.

“She isn't what I'd call a deep thinker,” said Chase, “but if she has to think things through, she can. She just doesn't like to.”

Both the stallions laughed. “I'll let you get going,” said Chase, “I want to catch up to her and bust a few clouds. I should hurry or they'll be done by the time I get there.”

“Yeah, I have to go too,” said Red, “I still have a couple of deliveries here in town. Then I have to fly to Canterlot. I'll spend the night there, check at our office for anything for Cloudsdale and head back in the morning.”

“Maybe we'll bump into you in a couple of weeks,” said Chase, “until then, take care of yourself. See ya.”

“You too, Chase,” said Red, “it was good seeing you again. Make sure that multicolored mare doesn't kick your flank.”

Chase just laughed and took off. Red watched him go and then headed to the town hall. Red chuckled to himself. “Chase and Rainbow Dash,” he thought, “oh sweet Celestia, poor Chase.” He snickered. “What if they have foals?” Laughter got the better of him and he had to stop walking.

* * *
While his friend was entertaining passersby in Ponyville by rolling on the ground in hysterical laughter, Chase flew back to the south sector to help the weather team. There were plenty of clouds left for him so he dove into the nearest bunch and got to work. With eight ponies the job didn't take a long time and they were through well before supper. The team swooped down and landed on the road to Sweet Apple Acres.

Rainbow Dash addressed the pegasi. “That's it for today gang,” she said. “Thunder, you take the morning patrol tomorrow and I'll take the afternoon. Flitter, Slipstream and Star Hunter will go with Thunderlane and Cloudchaser and Silverspeed will be with me. It will also be a practice section. Even though Thunder and I will be in charge, Flitter and Cloudchaser will get to try their hooves at leading. We'll correct anything you get wrong and will be there to answer questions but you'll get to lead. Thunderlane, stop by my place around noon and report and then we'll switch off. Okay everypony, I'll see you all tomorrow.”

“Wait!” came a call, “I've got a little something for y'all.” It was Applejack and Big Mac pulling a cart.
The brother and sister came up to the pegasi. “Just thought y'all could use somethin' ta drink and a maybe a little snack so we brought some apple juice and a few fresh apple pies. Big Mac, let's serve it up!”

“Eeyup,” said Big Mac as he got out of the harness and went to the back of the cart.

Applejack served the pie while Big Mac passed out the bottles of juice. The two farm ponies then joined the weather team in an impromptu picnic.

“Applejack, you sure can bake an excellent pie,” said Chase.

“Thanks, Chase,” said Applejack, “I'll pass that along to Granny Smith. She's the one who made them. I was out in the fields all day.”

“Even in the rain?” asked Flitter.

“Well, not much in the rain,” said Applejack. “Our farm is pretty big and you didn't have it rainin' everywhere at once. I got a little wet a couple of times but it wasn't too bad.”

“You got lucky AJ,” said Rainbow Dash, “there weren't enough clouds around Ponyville to do the job all at once.”

“I'll take lucky,” said Applejack. “You still leaving tomorrow, Chase?”

“My train leaves at ten in the morning,” said Chase. He didn't seem very happy about it.

“End of vacation time,” said Rainbow Dash. She didn't sound very happy herself.

“No more gossip about Ponyville's hottest new couple,” lamented Cloudchaser. A few of the weather team snickered while the others turned away.

“What's that supposed to mean?” said Dash angrily.

“You don't know?” said Cloudchaser, “it's all over town. Overnight adventure, private picnic's and meals, Chase is staying at your place, you have to admit it makes for a lot of gossip. You're just lucky Gabby Gums is out of business.”

“Who?” asked Chase.

“You don't want to know,” said Dash. She hung her head. Chase walked over and put his wing around her.

“Sorry, Rainbow Dash,” said Cloudchaser, “I didn't think you cared.”

“In a way, I don't,” said Dash, “but it's just...”

“It's no ponies business what we do,” said Chase. “Anyway, we didn't do anything wrong.”

“We aren't judging,” said Flitter, “I think it's great you two found each other. It's just what it looks like to some ponies. I overheard Mrs. Rich talking the other day and she was saying some things.”

“Like what?” asked Dash.

Flitter got up and imitated Mrs. Rich. “It's just scandalous, I say. Our lead weather pony taking a strange stallion home when they've only just met. The mayor will hear of this. Ponyville has a reputation to maintain.”

Flitter had the snobbish pony's manners down perfectly and drew some laughter from the others. Even Rainbow Dash smiled.

“I'm sorry if I caused you any trouble,” said Chase. “I should have stayed at the hotel.”

“Forget about it Chase,” said Rainbow Dash, “the gossip started when we got trapped in the forest together. The ones who wanted something to talk about had us that night.”

“Alright everypony, listen up,” said Chase, “yes, Rainbow and I are very fond of one another but we also respect each other enough to not do anything stupid. We both knew we were going to be separated in a few days so we really tried to keep things slow.”

“Which has been tough,” said Dash quietly.

“What she said,” said Chase. “The point is, we've been a good little colt and filly and have nothing to be ashamed of. I'm leaving, but I'm sure Rainbow would appreciate your support.”

The weather team was unanimous in agreeing to help dispel any nasty rumors. Rainbow Dash felt a little better.

“You know you can count on me and the girls too,” said Applejack.

Rainbow Dash smiled. “I know AJ, you didn't even have to say it.”

“I don't get what the big deal is,” said Silverspeed. “Nopony else would get this kind of attention.”

“It's because of my position,” said Dash, “and my connection to the princesses. I guess I'm kind of a celebrity around here too. Fame stinks.”

“So what happens when you get to be a Wonderbolt?” asked Chase.

“I'll ask Spitfire the next time I see her,” said Dash. “She's probably had to deal with stuff like this.”

“Yeah,” said Star Hunter, “that scandal sheet from Cloudsdale is always printing stuff about the her and some pony.”

“How do you know?” teased Slipstream.

“Well, you know, I uh heard, that they um...” stammered Star Hunter.

“Right,” said Flitter, “you 'heard' about it.”

The rest of the ponies laughed. They thanked Applejack and Big Mac and headed back to town. The crew broke up as they headed to their homes until Rainbow Dash and Chase were flying alone.

Chapter 18

“Follow me Rainbow,” said Chase, “I have a stop to make.” He banked and flew into town.

It was a few moments before Rainbow Dash realized he was headed for the jewelers. Her heart beat faster and her mood improved instantly. She wished Chase would pick up speed but he seemed to be in no hurry. In truth, it wasn't long before they arrived, no matter what it felt like to her.

They entered the jewelers and found it empty. There was some noise from the back room and Mr. Karat appeared.

“Ah! Mr. Chase,” said the jeweler, “I was hoping you would come by soon. I finished it this afternoon and it's all ready. Wait here, I'll just be a moment.”

“I can hardly wait,” squeaked Rainbow Dash. She had a hard time keeping her feet still.

Chase looked at her in surprise and smiled. She was like a filly on Hearth Warming Eve. There was more to this mare than a daring, bragging flier or even a team leader. He pried his eyes away as Mr. Karat returned.

“Here you are sir,” said Mr. Karat, “all ready. I'm sure you will be pleased.”

Chase took the box from Mr. Karat and immediately gave it to Rainbow Dash. She sat it on the counter and used her nose to open it.

“I can't believe this is the same crystal!” Rainbow gasped. “It's so beautiful. It's better than a diamond, Chase. I love it.” She threw both hooves around his neck in a crushing hug.

Chase hugged her back and they stood there until Mr. Karat coughed.

“Perhaps you would like to try it on?” suggested the jeweler.

“Yes, of course I would,” replied Rainbow.

With Chase's help, Rainbow Dash attached the hair clip to the yellow part of her mane just in front of her left ear. The jeweler had also attached a silver chain with a second clasp. They hung the chain below her ear and clipped it fast to her mane behind her ear. Mr. Karat held up a mirror so that she could see herself. She turned this way and that admiring both the clip and how good she looked wearing it.

Chase admired it too. “Does this make up for the necklace?” he asked.

“More than makes up for it,” replied Rainbow, “if Princess Luna asked to trade with me I'd tell her no.”

Mr. Karat nearly dropped the mirror. “Y..you had Princess Luna's necklace?”

“We found it in the Everfree Forest,” said Chase, “I gave it to Rainbow but she knew who it belonged to so she had to give it up.”

“I'll bet it was beautiful,” said Karat in hushed tones.

“It was,” said Rainbow, “it was silver, sapphire and amethyst. It had her cutie mark in the middle made from onyx and diamonds. But this, this is more me.”

The pair of pegasi took their leave of Mr. Karat after thanking him for his work once more. Chase started to take off but Rainbow Dash stopped him. She wanted to walk through town and show off her new gift. They walked along ignoring the glances and outright stares of the ponies they passed. Rainbow Dash planned to show her gift to some of her friends first but it was time for dinner so they decided to go to the restaurant.

“Besides,” said Rainbow Dash, “it will give me a reason to wear it again tomorrow.”

* * *
The waiter at the restaurant had no trouble seating them this time. He also noticed Rainbow Dash's hair clip. “Ah! Madam and sir, welcome back,” he said, “right this way. I suppose that congratulations are in order.”

“Thank you,” said Chase, “yes, we're feeling much better now. Sorry about the other day.”

“Perfectly understandable sir,” said the waiter. “I imagine you both had a lot on your minds. May I get you something to drink while you decide what to order?”

They ordered drinks and a salad. When the waiter was gone, Rainbow Dash thought about what the waiter had said.

“Did the waiter seem different to you?” she asked Chase.

“Kinda,” said Chase, “maybe he's just surprised at our speedy recovery.”

“Maybe,” repeated Dash as she pondered the waiter's behavior. She reached up to scratch her head and brushed against her hair clip. “You don't think he believes this is an engagement gift, do you?”

“You know,” said Chase laughing, “he might. When I dropped this off at the jeweler, he said that it would make a fine engagement gift, if it was made of diamonds.”

“I guess he can't tell diamonds from crystal,” said Rainbow Dash. “The jeweler did a great job on polishing it up though, you'd probably have to be an expert to tell the difference.”

“Yeah,” agreed Chase. “You know, Rainbow, we could have some fun with this. It might help diffuse those rumors too.”

“I don't get it,” said Rainbow Dash.

“We let everypony think we're engaged,” said Chase. “We don't lie, but we don't correct them either. If they want to spread rumors, let's give them one.”

Rainbow Dash grinned evilly. “Oh I like this idea. Hee hee.”

“I thought you might,” replied Chase as he matched her grin. “Of course it will require a lot of kissy face and hugging in public.”

“So you had an ulterior motive,” said Dash, “I can live with that. Before you leave tomorrow, we'll go to Rarity's shop and check out some wedding stuff. Have to make sure there are some ponies there to see us.”

“Good one Rainbow,” said Chase. “I'll buy you some flowers at the market tomorrow too. What else can we do?”

While Rainbow Dash was thinking the waiter brought their salad and drinks. When he was gone Rainbow Dash spoke. “Maybe I should give you a going away gift. I'd like to do that anyway.”

“You could get on the train with me,” suggested Chase.

“No, wait that could be good,” said Dash. “I go with you to the station, we have a tearful goodbye, you leave and I chase the train down the platform calling your name; 'Chase! Chase! Don't leave me! I can't live without you!' the train leaves and I fly after it until it can't be seen from Ponyville. What do ya think?”

Chase had hidden his face in his salad bowl and was shaking with laughter. He couldn't respond.

“Come on,” said Dash, “I could pull it off.”

Chase got himself under control to some degree. “Maybe you could,” he said, “but I have a hard time picturing you doing anything that un-cool.”

Rainbow Dash laughed too. “Yeah, but it would be for a prank. Pranks are cool.”

“How would you explain it when you get back?” asked Chase.

“Yeah, that might be a problem,” admitted Dash. “No pony would believe me if I told them it was just a prank. It would be hilarious though.”

“It would be for us,” said Chase. “I suppose I could make a scene from the back of the last car. 'Rainbow! Come with me! Let me take you away from all this! I love you! I worship you!' How about it? Think you'd like to see that?”

It was Rainbow's turn to laugh. She held her sides and had a hard time staying in her seat. “D..do it! Do it!” she finally stuttered.

“Or we could re-enact a famous scene from a film, like Casaequiss. You know, 'the problems of two little ponies don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world'.”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “I've seen it, 'we'll always have Ponyville' hah hah.”

“Yeah,” said Chase, “'here's lookin' at you filly'.”

“Good one,” said Rainbow Dash, “how about 'play it again Spur' heh heh.”

* * *
The pair had a long enjoyable meal and if their intention was to appear as a young couple in love, they accomplished it. It near sunset when they left and began making their way home. They walked to the edge of town and flew up to Rainbow Dash's home. It was too early for bed so they went up to a balcony and relaxed.

They nuzzled each other and looked out over the fields of Ponyville. Rainbow Dash looked at Chase and smiled. She wondered if he was feeling the same things she was and decided that he most likely was.

“This was a great evening, Chase,” she said. “I wish tomorrow night would be like this.”

“Me too,” said Chase, “I'm really going to miss you. It was fun just being with you. I came here for a little adventure and a relaxing vacation. I thought I might pick up a few souvenirs. I never thought I'd meet somepony like you.”

“I'm one of a kind alright,” said Rainbow Dash, but her voice was different and it didn't sound like boasting.

“Something wrong?” asked Chase.

“This is kind of new to me,” admitted Dash. “I don't exactly have stallions waiting in line you know? I think I kind of scare them sometimes. Others, well, I guess I'm kind of fussy. You're different, you're not scared. You don't care that I can out fly you. You know I don't follow the regs very well. You might even think I'm kind of stupid or reckless. You know I have obligations to the Princesses. None of that seems to bother you and...and you treat me with respect. I don't get it.”

“What's there to get?” asked Chase. “You said I'm different, well, you're different too. And I like that about you. Sure I respect you and there's no reason to be afraid of you as long as I don't do something stupid like fill your saddlebags full of bricks. The stuff with the princesses; yeah, that bothers me because I don't like the idea of you putting yourself in danger. I don't think you're stupid, unorthodox maybe, but not stupid. And I love watching you fly. Yes, you can out fly me. So can a lot of ponies. I'm a weather pony and proud of it. Would I like to be a Wonderbolt? Sure, who wouldn't? But I know it's not going to happen.”

“Thanks,” said Rainbow Dash, “I guess I just needed to hear that.”

“I'm not going to ask what you see in me,” said Chase. “As long as you're willing to give us a chance, I'm happy.”

“I didn't see anything at first,” said Rainbow Dash. “I hate to say it but I just wanted a little adventure too and you were a good excuse. Our 'adventure' wasn't all good but by the time we got back I was starting to change my mind. You have guts, you're comfortable with yourself, generous and honest, well, kinda honest anyway. The best thing though is that you're just a lot of fun to be with.”

“Yeah,” said Chase, “you too Rainbow. I'm going to miss your laugh more than anything.”

They kissed and cuddled together. It was late before they left the soft cloud balcony and went to their rooms. It was much later when they finally fell asleep. What they dreamed about, Luna only knows.

Chapter 19

They awoke at the same time due to a knock at the door. Rainbow Dash hurried to the door thinking that Thunderlane needed her help but it was Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy,” said Rainbow Dash with a yawn, “what are you doing here?”

“Twilight sent me to make sure you were awake,” said Fluttershy. “Chase's train leaves in two hours and she wanted to treat you both to breakfast before he left.”

“Two hours?” said Rainbow Dash, “thanks Fluttershy, I didn't know it was getting so late. Tell Twilight we'll be down in a few minutes.” She turned to yell for Chase to get up but found that he had come up behind her.

“Good morning Rainbow,” he said, “hi Fluttershy, what's up?”

“Good morning Chase,” said Fluttershy, “looks like you're up. You have two hours until your train leaves.”

“I'd better finish packing then,” said Chase with a sigh.

“Twilight invited us to breakfast,” said Dash. “you finish packing and I'll zip over to Zecora's and see if she has that feather potion ready. I'll fly straight to Twilight's place from there.”

“I'll go get it if you'd like me to,” offered Fluttershy.

“Thanks Fluttershy,” said Rainbow Dash, “that would be great.”

Chase gave Rainbow Dash a peck on the cheek and went back up stairs. Fluttershy blushed.

“Rainbow Dash?” said Fluttershy. “Chase has spent every night he's been here with you.”

“Don't judge me, Fluttershy,” interrupted Dash. It was morning, she was still tired, very frustrated and her new coltfriend was leaving soon. It wasn't a good combination.

“Oh, I'm not,” said Fluttershy, “I just wanted to ask, you're um...being careful, right?”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “Yeah, real careful,” she said. “Separate rooms, it doesn't get much safer than that.”

“Really? I just thought...oh never mind,” said Fluttershy. “I'd better get going and let you get to breakfast.”

“Hey, we know what we're doing,” said Dash. “We're trying to take it slow. Trying.”

“Okay,” said Fluttershy, “I'll see you at Twilight's.”

“Thanks again Flutters,” said Dash. 'Even Fluttershy thinks we're further along in this relationship thing than we are,' thought Dash. 'Well, we're going to have some fun with this before Chase leaves. It'll serve all these ponies right.'

Rainbow Dash went upstairs and met Chase as he was getting ready to leave.

“I'm all packed,” said Chase, “most of my other stuff is down at Twilight's.”

“Good, I guess,” said Rainbow, “help me put on my hair clip.”

They went to Rainbow's room and Chase assisted her in clipping it to her mane.

“There!” said Chase, “I don't know if it's you making it look better or it making you look better but it was worth every bit.”

“Come on,” said Dash, “we should get going.”

“In a minute,” replied Chase, “come here you.”

Rainbow Dash took a step forward and Chase kissed her. This quickly escalated and they ended up falling onto Dash's bed. Eventually they came up for air and Dash broke away. “We have to get going,” she said. “Are you still up for what we talked about last night? You know, our little prank.”

“Sure,” said Chase, “come on. This should be fun.” He grinned.

* * *
They flew down to the market and walked around for a while. Chase bought Rainbow Dash a red rose which she added to her mane. The timing was perfect as Rainbow Dash noticed Mrs. Rich watching them. Rainbow threw both hooves around Chase and gave him a long kiss. She also made sure Mrs. Rich saw her hair clip which made the older mare's jaw drop. They lingered briefly at the market, leaning on one another and occasionally nuzzling. Chase put a wing around her and they walked to the library for breakfast.

“Are you letting your friends in on our joke?” asked Chase.

“No way,” said Rainbow Dash. “They've been gossiping to each other as much as the rest of the town. Fluttershy actually asked me if we were being 'careful'. We have a quick breakfast and then head over to Rarity's shop to check out some bridal stuff. I just hope there are some customers there.”

Chase laughed and said; “I get to see your evil side now. How do you want to play this?”

Rainbow Dash thought for a moment. “Pretty much just do what we've been doing. They haven't seen your gift yet so I'll make a big deal out of that. I won't even have to act for that one. Hee hee.”

Chase saw something out of the corner of his eye. “Look. There's Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy landed next to them. “Sorry Chase, Dashie,” she said, “Zecora doesn't have that potion ready yet. She said it has to brew for another day yet.”

“Oh well,” said Chase, “I can just have Rainbow mail it to me, or I can get it from her when we go to Cloudsdale in a couple of weeks.”

“No problem Chase,” said Rainbow, “maybe I can use it as an excuse to fly to Manehatten and see you.”

“Great idea,” said Chase, “I can't wait to see you again.”

* * *
They reached the library and went in. Spike had set a table which was already laden with food. Twilight and Applejack were already eating so the three pegasi joined them. Rainbow Dash and Chase made it a point to sit as close to one another as possible. They ate quietly for a while. Chase and Rainbow Dash made it a point not to take their eyes off of one another and occasionally fed each other morsels of food.

“Thanks for the breakfast Twilight,” said Rainbow Dash, “we have a lot to do before Chase leaves. Are Rarity and Pinkie Pie coming here too?”

“I stopped by Rarity's place on my way here,” said Applejack, “she has a few customers right now and doesn't expect to make it. Pinky Pie is working but she said she'd take a little time to see Chase off.”

“That's okay,” said Rainbow Dash, “we were going to stop by Rarity's anyway. I want to look at a few things and get Chase's opinion. He did such a great job on this hair clip, I really want to know what he thinks.”

“I was going to say I thought it looked beautiful,” said Fluttershy. “It's hard to imagine that it's a decoration from Princess Luna's bedroom.”

“It looks just gorgeous on you,” said Twilight. “It really reflects the colors in your mane.”

“That's a gift fit for a princess,” said Applejack. “You'll have a hard time beating that when Hearts and Hooves Day rolls around.”

“I'm sure I can come up with something by then,” replied Chase. He kissed Rainbow Dash on the ear.

Dash responded by sticking a sweet roll into his mouth. “I don't know who to thank more,” said Rainbow Dash, “Chase or the jeweler. That Mr. Karat does beautiful work. I guess I should thank Rarity too since she did the design. I just love this. No pony has ever given me anything like this before. I feel like no mare has ever got a better gift.”

“I'm glad it makes you happy,” said Chase. “It was just something I thought would be nice when I picked it up but it means a lot more now.”

Fluttershy, Twilight and Applejack exchanged looks. Spike stared at Rainbow Dash as if she had suddenly sprouted a second head. Hearing that the brash, daring, braggart of a mare actually was capable of such feelings was a new experience for him. His eyes grew larger and his jaw dropped as he watched them kiss.

“Um, Rainbow Dash? Chase? Baby dragon in the room,” said Twilight.

“Sorry,” said Chase, breaking away from Dash.

“Yeah, sorry,” said Dash though she could barely keep a straight face. “Listen, Chase, if you're finished eating, we should head over to Carousel Boutique and see Rarity.”

“Sure, Rainbow, let's go” said Chase. “Thanks a lot for breakfast Twilight, Spike. Are you coming to the train station to see me off?”

“Of course,” answered the purple unicorn. “we all are.”

“I'll give you a hoof with your bags too,” said Applejack. “We may as well take them now and head to Rarity's and then you can go straight to the train station from there.”

“Thanks AJ,” said Dash, “just watch yourself, those bags are heavy.”

“If you pegasuses can handle them then so can I,” said Applejack.

* * *
Applejack took one of the heavier bags while Chase gave his satchel to Twilight and took the other large bag himself. They left the library and headed to Carousel Boutique. They walked in and were greeted by Rarity who was with a customer. Two other customers were browsing the racks.

“Oh hello Rainbow Dash, I'm very busy today but feel free to look around,” said Rarity.

“It's okay, Rarity,” said Dash, “I'm just looking today and I know where you keep what I'm looking for.”

“Alright then dear...oh my is that Chase's star you're wearing?” said Rarity in awe. “Oh that is just fabulous.”

“You should know,” said Dash, “you designed the setting. You did a great job too. I wanted you to see it before Chase left and thank you myself. Isn't it great?”

Rarity and the customers all came over to look at Rainbow Dash's new jewelry. They oohed and aahed over it while Dash did her best cool poses. The customers all offered their congratulations which Dash accepted gracefully. Rarity is somewhat taken aback by this, wondering if Chase had actually told Rainbow Dash what the star was really made of and had proposed. Her customers went back to their own business and Rainbow Dash searched out the wedding apparel that Rarity always had on hoof.

Rarity had a difficult time keeping her mind on her other business and continually stole glances at Rainbow Dash and Chase. Rainbow's other friends simply stared at the love struck pegasi with stunned expressions as Rainbow Dash tried on veils. She even called Twilight Sparkle over to magically hold up dresses while she admired herself in the mirror.

* * *
After a while Chase's time in Ponyville was running out and it was time to head to the train station. Rarity was unable to break away from her shop so Chase said goodbye to her and thanked her once more for her help. Rainbow Dash and her friends then headed for the train station. They arrived with ten minutes to spare and Chase checked his bags. Moments later Pinkie Pie arrived with a box of baked goods for Chase to take with him.

“I was afraid I was going to miss you!” said the pink pony. “I came here but you weren't here so I went to Twilight's and you weren't there and I went to the market but they said you left so I went to Rarity's and you weren't there and now I'm back here.” She collapsed, barely missing the box she brought for Chase.

“Sorry Pinkie,” said Dash, “we were expecting to meet you here. We didn't think you'd be chasing us all over town.”

“It's okay,” said Pinkie as she bounced back to her hooves. “I made it in time. This is for you Chase. I didn't want you to go hungry on your trip home.”

“Thanks Pinkie, you didn't have to do that,” said Chase.

“Sure I did,” said Pinkie, “it's my last chance to get you to smile.”

“Well, for a while anyway,” said Chase, “but I'll be back someday.” He did smile then.

“I'll bet I know why,” said Pinky Pie, “you're going to come back to see Dashie.”

“I won't take that bet,” said Chase. “Maybe next time I can get Rainbow to get on the train with me.”

“Oh nononono,” said Pinky, “you're not taking our Dashie away. You'll have to go through me first.”

“Pinky Pie,” said Rainbow Dash, “it would be my decision, not yours. And I might get on the train.”

Pinky Pie looked sad.

“But I'm not going today,” added Dash quickly.

Pinky Pie brightened immediately. She was about to speak when the conductor called out 'All aboard!'

“Guess it's time to say goodbye, Rainbow,” said Chase.

“Yeah,” said Rainbow Dash sadly. “I'm going to miss you.”

“I'm going to miss you too,” said Chase, “it feels like I've known you a lot longer than five days.”

The two pegasi hugged each other with both wings and hooves as they kissed one another goodbye. The conductor called again.

“Rainbow?” said Chase.

“Yeah,” said Rainbow.

“Put on your poker face,” Chase whispered.

Chase pulled away from Rainbow Dash and walked to the train. With a final wave he got on.

Rainbow Dash stood there looking glum and a bit lost. Her friends came over to her and Applejack put a hoof on her shoulder. The train began to pull away from the platform. Suddenly Chase burst through the door on the last car.

“Rainbow! Rainbow!” shouted Chase, “Come with me! We can make a life together in the skies of Manehatten! Come with me! I can't live without you!”

Chase carried on shouting as the train built up speed and got further away. Rainbow Dash took a few steps away from her friends. She was shaking and was beginning to get tears in her eyes. Her friends thought it was because Chase was leaving but the real causes were her trying to keep from laughing and the pain in the lip that she was biting.

The train had passed the end of the platform and Chase's voice was fading. Suddenly Pinky Pie sprang into action.

“I can't take it anymore!” shouted the pink pony. Seizing Rainbow Dash, Pinky Pie raced down the platform ignoring the protests from the blue pegasus. She reached the end of the platform, reared up and hurled Rainbow Dash towards the train. It was an impressive toss but was woefully short of her goal. Fortunately, Rainbow Dash was able to catch herself with her wings and avoided the ground.

Chase was stunned and stood gaping on the edge of the last car. He saw Rainbow Dash recover and wave to him. He waved back and returned to his seat. The passengers stared and moved away from the pegasus stallion who laughed raucously half the way to Manehatten.

* * *
When Rainbow Dash recovered from her unexpected flight, she spun and flew back to Ponyville as fast as she could. She entered the library and collapsed on the floor in laughter. She laughed so hard that no more sound came out and she was reduced to wheezing and shaking on the floor. Her slower friends found her in the same state a few minutes latter.

“Rainbow! Are you alright?” asked Twilight. Her voice was full of concern.

Rainbow Dash wanted to answer, to tell her friends she was fine, but all she could manage to do was sputter, cry and pound on the floor.

“She's really taking it hard,” said Fluttershy. “It's okay Dashie, just let it out.”

Rainbow Dash did let it out, a long rolling peel of laughter. She pounded on Twilight's floor and rolled around unable to stand.

Applejack was the first to catch on. “We've been pranked.” She threw her hat on the floor.

Twilight planted a hoof below her horn and grimaced. Pinkie Pie started laughing herself and Spike did too. Fluttershy looked like she was about to give Rainbow Dash 'The Stare' when Rarity burst in.

“Rainbow Dash! Are you and Chase getting married?” she gasped out.

Rainbow Dash lapsed back into her shaking gasping for air form of laughing. Applejack snickered and joined Pinky Pie and Spike in laughing. Fluttershy began to laugh behind her hoof. Even Twilight gave in and chuckled.

“Rarity, it seems that Rainbow Dash and Chase have been having a little fun with us,” said Twilight.
“Alright Rainbow Dash, time to come clean. What were you two up to?”

When Rainbow Dash had recovered enough to talk she began to explain what had happened. “I'm sorry girls,” said Dash, “but it was totally worth it. We knew the whole town was talking about us, including you, so we decided to get a little payback by playing along. I'm not saying everything we did was fake because we really do like each other, maybe even more than like, but the clip that Chase gave me does look like an engagement gift and so we just made it look like we're engaged.”

“What about all that stuff Chase did at the train station?” asked Pinky Pie. “That looked real.”

“The goodbye was real,” said Rainbow Dash, “but all that stuff that Chase did from the train...ha ha ha... that was fake. I still can't believe he did that.”

“I guess all that browsing in my shop was fake too,” said Rarity. “That's ...disappointing.”

“Sorry Rarity,” said Dash, “but when we saw you had customers that would spread the gossip all over town, we couldn't resist. I meant what I said about how much I like my clip though, it's just beautiful.”

“I guess you're forgiven then,” said Rarity. “I do expect you to come to my shop when Chase does pop the question.”

“Yeah, sure thing Rarity,” said Rainbow Dash. She hung her head. “I need to tell you all something. He offered to quit his job and move to Cloudsdale with me.”

“Really?” gasped Twilight, “you're serious? What did you tell him?”

“Yeah, he was serious,” said Dash. “I told him I might but not yet. I can't do that until we get to know each other better.”

“Did he mean move in together in Cloudsdale or just move to Cloudsdale?” asked Rarity.

Rainbow Dash hesitated. “I..I don't know. I didn't ask.”

“What would you do there?” asked Pinky Pie.

“We could both get jobs,” said Dash. “He has the experience and a great position in Manehatten now. I'm a team leader too, even if my team isn't very big. I'm such an awesome flier anyway that I could get a job, no problem.”

“Why didn't you go with him to Manehatten?” asked Pinky Pie. “I gave you a good start and you could have caught that train.”

“I told you I'm not ready for that,” said Dash. “I don't want to go to Manehatten anyway. I told him the only place I'd move to was Cloudsdale.”

“He could move here,” suggested Fluttershy.

“He doesn't want to. Besides, what could he do in Ponyville?” said Dash. “He's a weather pony. He doesn't want to work for me and I'm not giving him my job. It wouldn't work. I just wanted to let you know that if we decide to take the next step, I'll be leaving.”

“You do what you have to do to be happy RD,” said Applejack. “It ain't like Cloudsdale is that far away.”

“Besides, I always thought you'd be going to Cloudsdale sooner or later anyway,” said Rarity. “Of course I thought it was because you'd be joining the Wonderbolts, not because of a stallion.”

“I'm glad you understand,” said Dash. “I felt I had to tell somepony, you know, just in case.”

“So you aren't sure yet?” asked Twilight.

“It's still too soon,” said Dash. “I think it will be good for us to stay apart for a few weeks. If we still feel the same when we meet up again, maybe then we'll know what's best for us. It's hard though, I miss him already. You know what Pinky? I almost did fly after that train.”

“We're here if you need to talk,” said Twilight, “but please don't prank us like that again.”

“Yeah,” said Pinky Pie, “prank everypony else and let us in on it.”

Dash laughed. “Deal. I have a favor to ask, Twilight. Can you keep my hair clip here? Maybe put it in the case with my element? If I drop it at my home in the wrong place, it will fall through the floor and I don't want anything to happen to it.”

Sure, Rainbow Dash,” said Twilight, “I can do that.”

“Great, help me take it off,” said Dash, “I have to go on patrol in a hour.”

“I thought Mr. Karat was using special clips so you could fly with it on,” said Rarity.

“He did,” said Dash, “but I'm not taking any chances. I've never had a gift like this. I wouldn't trade this for anything even if it's just some crystals.”

Rarity smiled at Twilight and winked when the purple unicorn glanced her way. Twilight levitated the clip over to the case containing the Elements. She opened the case and placed the clip inside the circle made by the Element of Loyalty. She closed the case and stepped back. Rainbow Dash stood beside her and looked at the case. Her eyes teared up a bit and she sniffed.

“You know, I was lucky to go on that adventure,” said Rainbow Dash, “and not just because I got to know Chase. I got to go back to the place of our first victory as Element bearers. It was really weird to walk around there. It was empty but it was like I could see where you all stood and what you each said. I knew which stones I brought down and which ones Fluttershy carried. I hadn't thought about it in a long time. It made me feel really good. If you ever get the chance, go back and have a look around. At least take the time to think about what we did that day.”

Her friends looked at her. It seemed so unlike Rainbow Dash to get emotional. They wondered what was bringing this to the surface of their usually brusk friend.

“I haven't thought about it in a while,” said Twilight Sparkle. “Things just keep happening and we've moved on and grown since then. I'm not as much proud of that night as I am relieved. Before we faced Nightmare Moon I didn't have any friends except for Spike. Realizing you five were my friends and that I wasn't alone was such a relief. You're right Rainbow Dash, we should take time to remember what happened that night.”

“Maybe we should form a pact to meet up the day after the Summer Sun Celebration every year,” said Rarity.

Great idea Rarity,” said Applejack. “Every year, no matter where we are or what we're doing, we meet up somewhere.”

“We can make it a party!” said Pinky Pie. “Our own special friends forever party. Year after year.”

“Of course it will be a party,” said Rainbow Dash, “if you're there, it has to be a party. Listen, I have to go get ready for my patrol. I'll see you all later.”

Rainbow Dash left the library with a smile on her face. Her mood was much brighter even though Chase was gone. The same could not be said for her friends, with the exception of Pinky Pie. Her happiness could not be repressed by anything Rainbow Dash had said. As far as she was concerned everything was back to normal and they had gained a new holiday.

“I think things are going to change,” said Fluttershy quietly, “but it's okay, I guess.”

“Yes, they are,” said Rarity. “I thought I would be the first to wed but it looks like Rainbow Dash is faster once again.”

“They aren't getting married yet,” said Applejack, “but I reckon you'd better get a move on if ya want to beat her.”

Fluttershy smiled at her friends. “I don't mind, as long as Dashie is happy. It just sounded almost like she was saying goodbye and she wanted to be sure we remembered her.”

“Now that's just morbid,” said Spike. “She's the only one who's been back to the place where you all discovered you're the Elements of Harmony and she wanted you to remember how great it was. She told you how good it was to be there again and what it meant to her. There's no reason to get all sad about it.”

“Spike is right,” said Twilight, “just because she found somepony special is no reason to be sad.”

“Yeah, I mean, if it was me, I'd want you all to be happy for me,” said Applejack. “Sure it won't be the same as it was but who knows? It might be even better.”

“Spikey is right,” said Rarity, “and so are you Applejack. It might be even better. Can you imagine Rainbow Dash with a foal?”

“Oh Celestia,” said Applejack, “what if it's faster than her? Hee hee.”

“I think Rainbow Dash would be a great mother,” said Fluttershy. “She is the Element of Loyalty. She would do anything for her foal and her stallion.”

Twilight nodded her head. “Looks like we've got this all figured out. I think it's called living.”

* * *
Rainbow Dash returned to her home and ate a light lunch. She took the blanket from the bed Chase had used and intended to put it in the basket with the rest of her wash. Instead she found herself laying on her bed clutching it between her hooves with her head buried in it. It smelled of him. She rested there for what she felt was too short of a time when there was a knock at her door. She rose and grabbed her goggles. Time for a patrol.

Rainbow Dash was not surprised to find her entire weather team on her porch. “Anything to report?” she asked Thunderlane.

“Nothing important,” said Thunderlane, “just a few scattered clouds to the far southeast. Might not even be worth a patrol this afternoon.”

“I'll be taking it out anyway,” said Dash, “just in case. You went west to east?”

“Yep,” said Thunderlane, “and Flitter led. She did well. Of course there wasn't much to do but she steered a good course and stayed on schedule.”

“Good,” said Dash, “we'll do this again when we actually have some weather to deal with. It's good that you're all here. As you can see, I'm still here. Chase left on the morning train for Manehatten. To answer some questions you might have, no we are not engaged, yes we are still seeing one another, yes we were seen in public looking like a couple of love-struck foals. We also spent every night that Chase was here under the same roof. I said roof, not in the same room and not in the same bed. The rest of the town is going to be talking about our 'affair' for weeks and virtually everything you hear about us will be wrong. Let them talk. Don't add any fuel to the fire but don't correct them either. Chase and I decided to have a little fun with the gossips so leave them alone. We'll take care of them in due time.”
There were several chuckles from the team.

“I guess we should tell the part timers, right?” asked Cloudchaser.

“Oh, yeah,” replied Dash, “it's okay to let them in on it. The other elements know about it also, just so you know.”

“What are you going to do?” asked Thunderlane.

“I'm not sure yet but I'm working on it,” said Dash. “I guess if worst comes to worst, I'll just have to marry him.” This brought a chorus of laughter from the weather team.

“Okay, Cloudchaser,” said Dash, “lead us out.”

* * *
The patrol was uneventful and Cloudchaser got them back on time. Rainbow Dash felt more confident that her team could function without her for a few days. She went to Twilight's and had a pleasant supper with her and Spike. Twilight pushed a book on her as she left and she took it home. She plopped down on the bed and looked at the title. “Dating for Beginners by Dr. Wild Oats?” said Rainbow Dash aloud. “Funny Twilight, you're a riot. Nerd.” She tossed the book onto a nearby shelf. With the only pony she wanted to date being miles away, the last thing she wanted to do was read about it.

She went downstairs and did her schedules for the next day. It was still early so she did the next two days as well. The part time ponies were coming into the rotation now and she wanted to get a good look at them in case Slipstream really did transfer to Manehatten. She was still a bit miffed about that. Maybe she'd change her mind if she got to spend a few days there on the exchange program.
It was still too early for bed so Dash took a flight around Ponyville. She flew high so she wouldn't be noticed. Twenty laps later she was still flying strong but noticed the clock tower chiming eleven o'clock. Maybe she could fall asleep now. She flew back to her home and went to bed.

Chase's blanket was still on her bed. Rainbow Dash lay down and covered herself with her own blanket. Sleep eluded her so she reached out for Chase's blanket and used it for a pillow. She tried to close her eyes. “It's going to be a loooong three weeks,” she thought.

Chapter 20

Somehow Rainbow Dash made it through the morning shift. Thunderlane took the afternoon patrol. Dash decided to visit Zecora to see how the feather potion had turned out. It wasn't much of a flight to Zecora's tree in the Everfree Forest. She felt sorry for earth ponies and unicorns; it took them forever to get anywhere but then she felt that way at least two or three times a day. She landed in front of Zecora's home and knocked on the door.

The zebra opened the door. “Ah! Rainbow Dash my flying friend,” said Zecora, “I have the potion for you to send.”

“I thought I might try it out first,” said Rainbow Dash. “I have some broken and missing feathers too.”

“Let me use it on you now, you can write Chase and tell him how,” said Zecora.

Zecora carefully dabbed the potion onto Dash's broken and missing feathers. It tingled and there was a slight burning sensation but it wasn't too bad. It worked quickly and soon her wings were restored. She was delighted and thanked Zecora. Her elation was short lived. Rainbow Dash yawned and shook her head, a frown returned to her face.

“I see that you are looking sad, did my potion hurt that bad?” Zecora sounded concerned.

“Sorry, no, it was fine,” said Dash. “I'm just a little down right now, that's all. Not getting enough sleep either.”

“I think you are missing your new friend Chase, just nod your head if this is the case,” said the zebra.

Rainbow nodded. “We spent a lot of time together, and we really like each other but we can't take it farther right now. We live in different towns and we have careers and dreams we don't want to give up. I...I think we're in love. He even said he'd quit his job and move to Cloudsdale if I would too.”

Zecora gazed at Rainbow Dash thinking about what she had said. “I think the way you're going is wise, you must be careful when it comes to guys. I know resisting can drive you nutty, it's not fun when you're feeling rutty.”

“Huh?” said Dash, shocked at the zebra's frankness, “I mean, yeah, it is frustrating. It will be even worse in three weeks when we go to Cloudsdale for a meeting.”

“You would like things to progress I sense,” said Zecora with a knowing look, “it would be better if you were not tense.”

“Um...yeah,” said the puzzled pegasus. “You have a potion to make me less tense?”

“What I meant to say is that there is a cure, it lets you make you less tense, that's for sure.” Zecora smiled.

“Okay, now I'm getting confused,” said Dash, “how does it work?”

“There is a way for you and Chase to relieve your frustration,” said Zecora, “it just takes the proper medication.”

“I don't know,” said Dash, “can you explain it more? I know what would relieve our frustration but I don't want to risk it.”

“You wish to make the boom, without a foal growing in your womb?” asked Zecora.

“What?!” exclaimed Dash.

“With your stallion you wish to lay, a foal is a price you won't have to pay,” said the zebra.

“You can do that?” Dash said in a whisper.

Zecora went to a shelf and returned with a small bottle. “Drink this the day before Chase you meet, you two can make out for at least a whole week.”

Rainbow Dash reached out for the vial with both front hooves. “Gimme! Take my bits! Rainbow Dash want! You make more!”

Zecora laughed. “Five bits for the potion that makes feathers to fly in the sun and seven more so you and Chase can have some fun.”

Rainbow Dash paid Zecora and placed the potions in her satchel. “Thanks Zecora,” she said, “Sure wish I could see Chase before the meeting.”

“Why not send him a letter, that might make you feel better,” said Zecora.

“Great idea, Zecora,” said Rainbow, “I have to send him this potion anyway.”

Rainbow Dash left Zecora's hut and flew back to her home to write her letter. She packed the feather potion and addressed it to Chase. On the outside of her letter she wrote 'open this when you are alone.'

“Three weeks,” thought Dash. “Only three weeks.” She checked a day off on her calandar and headed for the post office.

Comments ( 7 )

Any chance this will ever get a sequel or epilogue to it? I gotta know how this turns out as it is a great DashxOC story that deserves more attention on this site. Probably even a feature in my opinion.

2634271 I wouldn't say a sequel is out of the question but I don't really know how it would turn out. Right now I'd say Chase and Rainbow are at the 'friends with benefits' stage, thanks to Zecora. It could get very complicated which would make for a good story. It might be fun to see who is willing to give up what in this relationship and what the consequences would be. BTW I'm really trying not to drift into the porn side of a story so any sexual stuff would take place off camera.:rainbowhuh:
I appreciate the compliment and I'm glad you like the story. Whatever happens with this story, I'm going to finish uploading the stories that I have completed first. I have one more old story to finish editing and upload but it's a monster 100,000 words and still needs several chapters to wrap it up. Almost forgot, I just finished editing another short story which will be up tonight.

2634538 The behind the scenes clop is fine, I've seen both sides of that both in and behind stories and neither really matters for me. The biggest thing I'm hoping for is just some expansion, possibly, on their relationship and the progress/turns it may make if the story was expanded further. But your time is your own, and by extension your writing ideas.

2634791 After giving it some thought, there will be a sequel. It will probably start appearing around the beginning of July. Thanks again for the input.

This was good. and i eagerly await sad sequel

2704998 Thanks very much. I think the whole thing will be about the size of the first part. The first chapters will be about the anticipation leading up to the Cloudsdale meeting and what goes on there. Should be fun.

Login or register to comment