• Published 26th May 2013
  • 779 Views, 7 Comments

It's a Date? - marley



A Manehatten weather pony is on vacation and needs a guide to help him tour the Everfree Forest. Looks like a job for Rainbow Dash. Two ponies with a lot in common find themselves forced to get to know each other. Where does this relationship go from

  • ...
1
 7
 779

Part 3

Chapter 11

Rainbow Dash returned to her room and went to bed. She lay there looking out the window at the moon and thinking. The thinking made her even more tired so she rolled over and pulled a bit of cloud over her eyes. Soon she managed to drift off to sleep.

Chase also was awake for a while. He debated with himself about what to do. On one hoof, he thought, if he just gave her a little nudge, she'd probably cave in to his advances. But then what? She didn't want to give up on her career and dreams and go with him. If she did, she'd end up hating him for it later. “I just might have a hard time keeping my job then,” he thought with grim humor. “Ponyville is nice but I'd go nuts if I moved here. It's too slow and boring. I have to be good to her. Besides being the right thing to do, she has some scary powerful friends. Not including the Princesses, that purple unicorn seems to be their leader or something. She'd probably turn my wings into anvils if hurt Rainbow. There's only one way for us to be together,” he thought. “I'll talk to her about it tomorrow.”

Chapter 12
The next morning dawned clear and bright. Rainbow Dash rose somewhat later than the sun and was less clear and bright. She went outside and stuck her head into a small cloud and washed her face. She flew around her cloud home and checked the sky. Only a few stray clouds. That was good since the crews needed a little break. She returned to her home and got a little breakfast from the kitchen. She ate in her office, getting assignments ready for the weather team. There was a knock at the door.

Rainbow Dash answered the door to find the weather team waiting on her porch. She walked out and addressed them. After giving Thunderlane and Flitter the easy job of clearing the few clouds, she asked for two volunteers to go on Everfree patrol and pick up Chase's souvenirs. A few pegasi raised a hoof and she selected Slipstream and Silverspeed to accompany her. She let the rest of the team off until she returned with the morning patrol and gave them the job of afternoon patrol. Business taken care of, she addressed her team.

“I wanted to thank you for the job you did on that storm,” she said, “and for searching for us. I really appreciate it and I'm sorry I wasn't here to help out. For those who might not know, Rain Chaser is a fellow weather pony from Manehatten. He runs the team there and I'm sure you all impressed him with your skills. Our morning patrol is going to retrieve some things from Everfree that we had to leave behind. The two ponies going with me are going to need saddlebags so go get them and come back here when you're ready. You all know what to do so get going and we'll see you back here after lunch. Looks like it will be a pretty easy day.”

At that moment Chase appeared in the doorway. “Before you go, I'd like to thank you too,” he said. “Thunderlane and Flitter especially for finding us but the rest of you for the effort you made with the storm and search. My own team couldn't have done better. Thank you all.”

Rainbow Dash beamed with pride while the weather team shrugged off the praise with 'no problem' and 'just doing our job' and other comments of the sort. She went past Chase and into her home to get her bags. The weather team lifted off and went to do their assignments. Except for Thunderlane.

“Excuse me, Rain Chaser,” said Thunderlane, “can we talk a minute?”

“Sure,” replied Chase, “what's on your mind?”

“You spent last night here, didn't you?” said Thunderlane. “I know it's none of my business and I'm not being jealous or anything like that. There's another mare I'm interested in. I'm just sort of, you know, concerned about my boss. What's going on between you two?”

“Well, it isn't any of your business but I'll tell you anyway,” replied Chase. “We like each other, a lot, but we also know it probably won't work out between us. We kissed once but that's it. Nothing else. Unfortunately. That's all I'm going to say for now except that I won't do anything to hurt her.”

Thunderlane smiled. “That's good enough for me,” he said. “You seem like a stand up guy.” He laughed. “I wouldn't have said anything except that Cloudchaser, Flitter and a few other ladies were talking and it got me thinking.”

“No sweat,” said Chase with a grin, “I understand. See you later, I need to get some breakfast.”

“Yeah, I have to get going too. See ya,” said Thunderlane as he took off.

* * *
Chase went back inside and almost bumped into Rainbow Dash as she was heading for the door.
“Oops!” said Chase, “sorry.”

“It's okay,” said Dash, “I wasn't watching where I was going. So what are you going to do today?”

“I thought I'd go get your crystal put in a setting for you,” said Chase. “There is a jeweler in town, isn't there?”

“Yes, there is,” replied Rainbow Dash, “we may not be Manehatten but we're not complete rubes either.”

“Good,” said Chase laughing, “I'll go pick up the crystal at the library and get on it. Do you have any preferences?”

“I'm sure you'll do a good job,” said Rainbow Dash. “If you need advice either listen to the jeweler, he is good by the way, or go see Rarity. Twilight or Spike can help you find both of them.”

“Sounds good,” said Chase. He looked at Rainbow Dash. She was smiling as she adjusted her bags. If she felt any conflict, it was well hidden. “Rainbow? I was thinking last night and I came up with a solution to our problem. I want you to think about it so don't give me an answer right now. What if we both moved to Cloudsdale? We could easily get jobs there. You'd be close to the Wonderbolts, if that's what you really want. Neither of us would be under the other at work. I know it isn't a perfect solution but if we really want to keep seeing each other, it might work. Just think about it, okay?”

Rainbow Dash was taken aback by the suggestion. It was not something she had considered. Chase was actually offering to quit his job and move just to be with her? She was shocked and didn't know what to say. A sad frown came to her face but as she thought about Chase's idea a wild hope arose. “I'll think about it, Chase,” said Rainbow Dash. “I'm going to do a little warm up exercise, if you want to watch.”

Chase smiled. “I'd like that,” he said.

Dash smiled back, adjusted her goggles and flew out the door. She flew up and gained a little altitude and started doing a few simple aerobatics. Chase watched her. He enjoyed watching her fly but wasn't really impressed by her tricks. Suddenly Rainbow Dash dove and gained speed. Pulling up she began an impromptu show. It was time for some real flying. She started doing rolls and spins, flips and corkscrews, all at an incredible speed. She threw in a few tricks of her own making. At last, as she saw the two weather ponies who were to accompany her approaching, she landed by Chase.

“What do ya think?” she asked Chase, “pretty awesome huh.”

“Wow,” said Chase, “I thought Twilight was just being nice because you're her friend when she said you were the best but I've never seen better. To think I thought I could show you some tricks. You'd fly circles around me.”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “Don't take it too hard, I fly circles around everypony.”

“Celestia's feathers but you're fast,” continued Chase. “No pony in Manehatten is that fast, stallions included. Hey! You're not even breathing hard.”

“Wait until you see me when my feathers grow back,” said Dash fluttering her wings. A feather came loose and floated down.

Chase snatched it up and stuck it in his mane. “Another souvenir,” he said, “a feather from the fastest pegasus ever.”

Rainbow Dash blushed. At that moment Slipstream and Silverspeed landed beside her.

“We're ready if you've finished showing off,” said Slipstream.

“”Yeah, yeah,” said Dash, “lets go. See you later Chase.”

“See you Rainbow,” replied Chase, “be careful.”

* * *
The patrol took off and headed towards the Everfree Forest. Chase went back inside and found something to eat. After a light breakfast he wandered around Rainbow Dash's office looking at the piles of papers and charts. To his surprise, the piles of paper made some sense. Weather charts were organized by date and type of weather. Most had notes on them regarding what happened and how accurate the predictions had been. Personnel files were all together and there was a record of which pony performed what duty and when. He spotted a folder labeled Winter Wrap Up. Wondering what it contained, he opened it. On top of the rest of papers was a single sheet with the words: 'DON'T LET DERPY FETCH THE BIRDS!!!' in large red letters. Chase raised an eyebrow and placed the folder back where he had found it.

Chapter 13

Chase decided it was time to visit Twilight Sparkle and pick up the crystal star. He left Dash's cloud home and floated down to the library. He was about to knock when he heard somepony call his name. He turned to find Pinky Pie a few inches from his nose.

“Hi Rain Chaser!” she said, “Have you seen Rainbow Dash?”

“Hello Pinky Pie,” said Chase wondering where she had come from, “she just left on a patrol. She should be back around lunch time.”

“Great!,” said Pinky, “don't forget the party this afternoon. Go out to Sweet Apple Acres at four o'clock. We'll have a party, then supper, then more party.”

“We'll be there,” said Chase smiling, “I'm going to see Twilight Sparkle and take Rainbow's gift to the jewelers.”

“Ooooh I can't wait to see it,” said Pinky, “Come on, I'm going to see Twilight too.”

Pinky jumped in front of Chase and knocked on Twilight's door. Twilight answered and invited them in.

“Pinky, Chase, come in,” said Twilight, “Spike is just making tea, would you like some?”

“Sure!” said Pinky Pie, “got any donuts to go with it?”

“You know I do,” said Twilight, “you sold them to me less than an hour ago.”

“And there's still some left?” said Pinky in surprise.

“How about you Chase?” asked Twilight.

“No Thanks, Twilight,” aid Chase, “I just stopped by to get Rainbow's gift. I'm on my way to the jewelers right now.”

“Oh, I put your bags over here,” said Twilight, pointing to an out of the way corner.

“I won't be a minute,” said Chase, “do you think you could show me the way? Or maybe the way to Rarity's house. Rainbow said she's the local fashion expert. I can wait until you have your tea.”

“Sure,” said Twilight, “I'd be glad to.”

“Thanks,” said Chase, “you all have been so helpful since I've been here. You've really helped make this a great vacation.”

“Any friend of Dashie is a friend of ours,” said Pinky.

“That obvious huh?” said Chase.

“Welll, yes,” said Twilight. “I was a little worried about you two getting along but you two go together like...”

“Donuts and tea,” interrupted Pinky as Spike brought in a tray.

“I was going to say bread and honey,” said Twilight, “but that works too.”

Chase laughed and went to his bags. It didn't take him long to find the crystal which he placed in the small satchel around his neck. He went and sat with Spike and the two mares and listened to Pinky Pie chatter. He found it amusing but hard to follow. Pinky Pie finished first and excused herself.

“I have to go hand out some more invitations,” said Pinky, “See you this afternoon!”

She left leaving Chase feeling a bit breathless even though he had talked little. “Is she always like that?” he asked.

“That was mild,” said Twilight, “you should see her when she's really wound up.”

“She is a funny pony,” said Chase, “and I don't mean that in a bad way. You can't help but smile around her.”

“Element of Laughter,” said Spike with a laugh.

“Yeah,” agreed Chase.

“Rainbow Dash told you about us, didn't she?” said Twilight Sparkle.

“Yes,” admitted Chase, “but I made a few guesses on my own. Rainbow obviously knew way to much about that old palace. Even a real scholar wouldn't know some of what she told me and she doesn't strike me as the studious type. She told me the whole tale about how you defeated Nightmare Moon, after I asked her.”

“It's alright,” said Twilight. “There's a window in Canterlot that depicts the battle. It isn't really a secret but we don't talk about it much either. Let's go see Rarity. She'd be insulted if she doesn't get in on this.”

* * *
Twilight led Chase and Spike towards Rarity's boutique. They arrived to find Rarity outside tidying up around her front door. She heard them approach and turned to greet them.

“Good morning Twilight, Spikey Wikey,” said Rarity, “and hello Chase. You're feeling better I hope.”

“Much better, thank you,” replied Chase, “I'm going to the jewelers to get Rainbow's crystal done and I could really use your help.”

“ Of course!” said Rarity, “I'd love to help. I did a few sketches last night, just a few ideas. May I see it again?”

“Sure,” said Chase. He got out the crystal and gave it to Rarity.

Rarity levitated the star in front of her, examining it critically. “Did you know this isn't glass?” she said.

“Then what is it?” asked Chase.

“Diamonds,” said the white unicorn. “Are you sure you want to give it to Rainbow Dash? I mean it could be taken as a 'special' gift.”

“Sure I want to give it to her,” said Chase, “and it's okay because she is special.”

“That's not what I meant,” said Rarity, “I mean that diamonds are usually only given to a pegasus or an earth pony as a sign of affection on a very special day. Unicorns would give a ring, of course.”

“Oh,” said Chase, “well, Hearts and Hooves Day isn't for months yet so I'll just give it to her now.”

Rarity planted a hoof just below her horn. “Let's try this again,” she said in frustration. “When a stallion loves a mare and wants to show he's committed to their relationship, he gives her a diamond.”

“Well, I'd like us to be committed to a relationship but I don't know if she does,” said Chase. “I think she does...yeah, I may as well give it to her. I know she'd like it.”

Rarity's eye twitched. “Diamonds are given to a mare by a stallion when he...wants...to...marry...her.”

“Oooooh,” said Chase, “that's different.”

“Finally, he gets it,” said Rarity. “Yes, it is different. Are you going to propose to Rainbow Dash?”

“No,” said Chase with a shake of his head, “Sure, I like her but we've only known each other for a couple of days.” He took the crystal back and stood there staring at it.

“Sorry Chase,” said Rarity, “but I really thought you should know.”

“Yeah, thanks,” said Chase, “you did the right thing. I wouldn't want her to get the wrong idea. To bad this isn't just a plain old crystal. Rainbow was right about Princess Luna's sense of humor.”

“Who says it isn't a plain old crystal?” asked Twilight Sparkle.

“I do,” said Rarity, “and I'm quite sure about it. You can show it to the jeweler but I'm sure he'll say the same thing.”

“I'm sure he would,” said Twilight, “but Rainbow Dash isn't a jeweler, is she?”

“Of course not,” said Rarity, “I don't think she could tell the difference between quartz and a quart of milk.”

“Hey!” said Chase, “That's pretty harsh!”

“Sorry,” said Rarity, “I guess I did exaggerate a little.”

“But not by much,” said Twilight, “the point is that right now Rainbow Dash thinks that it's just a crystal. Why not let her continue to think that's all it is?”

“Twilight,” said Spike, “you're a genius.” He started to laugh.

“You won't tell her?” said Chase.

“Of course not dear,” said Rarity, “neither of us are the Element of Honesty.”

“So we don't tell Applejack?” said Spike.

“We don't tell anypony,” said Twilight, “at least not until Chase does.”

“Are you sure she won't be able to tell?” asked Chase.

“If she thinks it's a crystal and we say it's a crystal, then it's a crystal,” said Twilight. “Technically, diamonds are crystals so we won't be lying.”

“I hope you do propose to her someday,” said Rarity, “just so I can see the look on her face when you tell her.”

“Okay, lets do this,” said Chase. “Oh my gosh! I just thought of something. The wall!”

“Wall?” said Spike, “What wall?”

“The wall where this came from!” said Chase in a hushed tone, “It was covered with these things! Big ones, little ones..and the other walls were the same! It's why I thought they were just crystals or cut glass. Princess Luna had diamond covered walls!”

“Right!” said Rarity, “anypony up for a trip through the Everfree Forest?”

“I'll go!” said Spike.

“No you won't, either of you,” said Twilight. “We'll just keep this our little secret for now. If word gets out about this everypony will be heading out to loot the palace.”

“Yeah,” said Chase, “you're right.”

“I will have to talk to Luna about this,” said Twilight. “Now that that's settled, lets get to the jewelers.”

“Wait a minute Twilight,” said Rarity, “come inside. I want touch up my sketches. It will help when we get to the jewelers.”

They entered her shop and went to one of Rarity's tables. “Help me a moment, Twilight,” said Rarity. “Spike, why don't you show Chase around the shop while we do this? Chase, the crystal please. Twilight, use your magic to hold it up for me.”

Spike took Chase and led him around the various displays while Twilight and Rarity worked.

“What is it?” asked Twilight in a low voice. “What are you up to?”

“Just a little information dear,” whispered Rarity. “What do you know about Dashie and Chase?”

“I don't know much,” said Twilight, “but they did spend last night at her place.”

“No!” Rarity hissed, “this must be serious.” Rarity sketched wildly while they talked.

“After you left last night Rainbow Dash invited him to stay in her spare room,” said Twilight, “and Chase was concerned about causing gossip.”

“Concerned about her reputation?” said Rarity. “He sounds like he cares. There's going to be gossip anyway, everypony sees how they are around each other.”

“I'm afraid so,”said Twilight, “even Spike noticed. It's like I told him though, I think that they're trying not to fall for each other.”

“I'm going to have a talk with that filly,” said Rarity, a smile crept across her face.

“Rarity, I don't...” began Twilight but Rarity interrupted her.

“All done,” announced Rarity, “Chase, what do you think of these? They're a little rough but you should get the idea.”

Rarity had made several drawings of the crystal star in various settings. Some were diamond shaped, another was a circle, another had offset horizontal bars and there was one with small hearts set between the star points.

“They are all really cool,” said Chase. “Which one do you think she'd like?”

“I think she'll like any of them,” said Rarity, “as long as it's you giving it to her.”

Twilight Sparkle rolled her eyes but said nothing.

“Um, yeah, wow, you think so?” stammered Chase. “Ah, but straight answer, which one would she like? I like the one with the bars.”

“That would be a good choice,” said Rarity, “picture her wearing it in her hair, just in front of her ear. I had an idea to make the bars two tone. A silver setting that extends into the bars along the edge and then gold in the middle of the bars. It would also look nice behind her ear.”

“That would look beautiful,” said Chase. “How much will it cost?”

“Let's go find out,” said Rarity with a smile.

* * *
They left the boutique and headed to the jewelry shop. They walked in to find the jeweler at his work bench behind the counter. He looked up as they entered.

“Ms. Rarity,” he said, “it's good to see you again. What can I do for you this fine day?” He was always glad to see Rarity. It either meant she was buying something or bringing him her excess gems to sell.

“Hello, Mr. Karat,” said Rarity, “I've brought you a customer. Rain Chaser here needs you to make a hair clip out of this.” She levitated the star out of Chase's bag and onto the counter.

Karat examined the diamonds closely. “Let me give this a quick polish,” he said. He took the the star to his bench and quickly ran it over the polishing wheel.

He held it up to the light and looked at it with his magnifiers. “These are really lovely,” he said, “and the silver is high quality too. Looks old. You wouldn't want to sell it, would you?”

“No,” said Chase, “it's to be a gift.”

Karat nodded. “So what did you have in mind?”

Rarity brought out her design and showed it to Karat, explaining her idea. Karat suggested a few modifications to make it more practical and asked what sort of pony it was for.

“Rainbow Dash,” answered Chase, “she helped me out so I'm giving her this to show my gratitude.”

Karat seemed a little shocked by this. “You're very generous, sir,” he said, “the reason I asked is because I have to use special clips for pegasi to make sure it doesn't come off while in flight. I'd better use the strongest one for her.”

There were a few other options to consider and Rarity helped Chase decide. In the end, it cost less than Chase had feared. Karat could rework the existing silver and there was actually only a little gold involved in the rest of the setting since he was only going to plate it rather than use solid precious metal.

“When will it be ready?” asked Chase.

“I can get it done by the day after tomorrow,” replied Karat. “I don't have a lot of orders ahead of you.”

“That's the day I have to return to Manehatten,” said Chase. “but I guess it will have to do. I'll pay ahead and she can pick it up if I have to leave before it's done.”

“Of course, sir,” said Karat. “I'll see if, perhaps, I can get it done late tomorrow afternoon. I can't promise anything, but I'll try.”

“That would be great,” said Chase, “I'll check back tomorrow. I'll go check the train schedule and see when the train leaves.”

“Mr. Karat,” said Rarity, “Rainbow Dash doesn't know that this is made of diamonds and we'd like to keep it that way.”

“Alright,” said Karat, “but why? This will be a very valuable piece when it's done, certainly suitable for an engagement gift.”

“Exactly,” said Rarity, “but it isn't an engagement gift. It's better if she doesn't know for now.”

Karat smiled. “I get it,” he said, “I hope no pony who knows gems tells her. She won't hear it from me though, I assure you.”

“Thanks,” said Chase, “we'll see you tomorrow then.”

* * *
They took their leave of Karat and went to the train station. The train for Manehatten was due to leave at ten in the morning. Chase purchased a ticket.

“Too bad I have all this stuff to take back,” said Chase, “otherwise I could fly and leave when I want. I hope Karat can get the clip done by then.”

“I should be getting back to my shop,” said Rarity, “I have work to do too.”

“Thank you for your help, Rarity,” said Chase, “I'm sure Rainbow will love my gift.”

“I'm sure she will,” said Rarity, “bye for now.”

Rarity trotted back towards her shop. It was going to be sometime before Rainbow Dash was due back so Twilight and Spike took Chase on a tour of Ponyville. Ponyville not being very large, it was a short tour. They continued out of town and ended up at Fluttershy's cottage.

Chase was amazed by all the animals running around. He also found it strange that Fluttershy preferred living on the ground. Sure, he lived in a building too but on the twentieth floor.
Twilight was the first to spot the yellow pegasus. She was near the chicken pen holding a feed bucket.

“Hi Fluttershy,” called Twilight, “I was just showing Chase around and thought I'd bring him out here.”

Fluttershy flew over and landed in front of Twilight. “Hi Twilight, Spike. Hello Chase, Where's Rainbow Dash?” she asked.

“Hello, Fluttershy,” replied Chase, “Rainbow's out with a patrol and they're going to pick up the things I had to leave behind. She said they'd be back by lunch time.”

“I hope that works out better this time,” said Fluttershy.

Chase laughed. “Me too,” he said, “I don't want to go out searching for her. This is quite a place you have here. Are you the local zookeeper?”

Fluttershy blushed. “Not exactly,” she said, “I just like taking care of the animals. It's my special talent.”

“She connects with them on a different level,” explained Twilight. “Nopony understands critters better than Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy blushed even more. “Really,” said Fluttershy quietly, “it's just my gift.”

“Well you should be proud of it,” said Rain Chaser. “I'm really good at cloud busting myself.”

“Yes, well, if you think so,” said Fluttershy. “I just finished with their feeding and was getting ready to go help Pinky Pie get ready for the party.”

“Sure,” said Twilight, “I wanted to lend a hoof too. Do you think you could give Chase a quick tour first?”

“Sure!” said Fluttershy brightly, “come with me.”

Fluttershy led Chase around the various pens, nests and dens near her cottage. He found the tour interesting as he was unused to being around so much wildlife. He also found it odd that Fluttershy lived on the ground and told her so.

“Oh, I love my cottage,” replied Fluttershy. “I grew up in Cloudsdale but I really like it better down here. All the pegasi in Ponyville live in houses, except for Rainbow Dash. She loves the sky. I think she'd fly in her sleep if she could.”

“I agree,” said Chase, “but if I could fly like that I might feel the same way.”

“Maybe so,” said Fluttershy. “Are you ready to go to Sweet Apple Acres yet?”

“We should,” said Twilight, “especially if Chase wants to get back in time to meet Rainbow Dash.”

“Could you give me a ride Twilight?” asked Spike. “I've been following you around all morning.”

“You can ride on me,” offered Chase, “there's nothing wrong with my legs. Let's go, I don't want to be late when Rainbow gets back.”

Spike hopped on Chase's back and they fell in behind Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle. As they walked along the two mares quietly conversed.

“He seems anxious to see her again,” said Twilight.

“Yes,” agreed Fluttershy, “and did you notice that he always calls her Rainbow? Nopony else does.”

“Yeah,” said Twilight, “I wonder how she feels about that.”

“Knowing Rainbow Dash,” said Fluttershy, “he would find out pretty quick if she didn't like it.”

Twilight giggled. “I suppose so. Wait until you see that crystal he found. We just were at the jewelers and he had it put in a setting. Rarity did the initial design.”

“When will it be ready?” asked Fluttershy, “I can't wait to see it.”

“Probably the day after tomorrow,” said Twilight, “Chase might not even get to see her wear it since he has to leave that day.”

“So he's really going back to Manehatten?” said Fluttershy.

“It looks that way,” said Twilight.

“And Rainbow Dash is staying here?”

“As far as I know,” said Twilight.

“That's too bad,” said Fluttershy. “I don't mean that Dashie isn't leaving, I mean that, you know, they...”

“I got it, Fluttershy,” said Twilight. “and I know what you're thinking.”

“You do?” said Fluttershy in a surprised tone. “Do you have super mind reading powers?”

Twilight laughed. “No. I mean that I've been thinking the same thing.”

A few paces back Spike was talking to Chase. “Seems like you really like Rainbow Dash,” he said.

“Well, yeah, I do,” said Chase.

“I could tell,” said Spike wisely. “I know what it's like. Don't tell her but I kinda have a crush on Rarity.”

“Really?” said Chase as he tried to keep a straight face. “She certainly is lovely.”

“Yeah,” said Spike dreamily. “At least you and Rainbow Dash have a lot in common.”

“A little too much in common,” muttered Chase.

“What do you mean?” asked Spike.

“We both have the same job for one thing,” said Chase, “and neither of us wants to step down and take orders from the other. Then there's Rainbow's dream of becoming a Wonderbolt. She doesn't want to give up on that and I don't want her to either. We both like where we're living and don't want to move.”

“Wow,” exclaimed Spike, “that's what Twilight said. So what are you going to do?”

“I'm not sure,” said Chase. “Even if we do like each other, we've only known each other for a few days. We have to slow down and think about this and get to know each other better. I guess.”

“And I thought I had problems,” said Spike. “Don't worry, if you two are meant to be together, it'll all work out.”

“You really think so?” asked Chase.

“How should I know?” said Spike. “I was just trying to give you some hope. Ya gotta have hope, right?”

Chase frowned. “Yeah, right,” he said. 'Note to self,' he thought, 'don't ask a dragon for advice.'

* * *
The ponies and one dragon made their way to Sweet Apple Acres. They walked through the well tended orchard and soon came upon the buildings that made up the homestead. No pony could be seen. As they drew closer, sounds and voices could be heard coming from the barn.

“Little more, Big Mac,” said Applejack. “That's good. Right there. Okay, Pinkie, nail 'er up!”

Twilight, Fluttershy, Chase and Spike entered the barn. The floor was mostly clear except for make shift tables along one side some boxes of decorations and other party supplies sitting here and there. Applejack and Big Mac were hoisting banners to the rafters above while Pinkie Pie, suspended by balloons, anchored them in place.

Pinkie had the hammer in her mouth and held the nail with both hooves. She swung her head and hit the nail with the hammer. Unfortunately, her head hit the rafter with every swing. Pinkie seemed to be oblivious to this as she hammered away.

“Looks like we're needed here,” said Twilight to nopony in particular.

“Yes,” said Fluttershy, “I'd better get up there.” She took off and flew up to Pinkie pie.

“Would you like me to do anything?” asked Chase.

“You have to go meet Rainbow Dash pretty soon,” said Twilight. “Besides, this party is partially for you. You are our guest. We're not going to put you to work.”

“That's right,” said Applejack as she joined them, “it just wouldn't be proper. So what do you think of the farm, Chase?”

“I've never been to one before,” said Chase. “It sure is big, and well tended, that's for sure. Quiet, too. I'm definitely not used to that.”

“You just wait,” replied Applejack, “it'll liven up. There'll be quite a herd here tonight.”

Big Macintosh walked over to the group. “Howdy, you must be Chase, “he said, “the pony my sister's been talkin' about.”

“That's right,” replied Chase, he had to look up to look him in the eye, “pleased to meet you. Mr....?”

Big Macintosh laughed. “You don't have to call me mister. Most ponies call me Big Mac but my real name is Big Macintosh.”

“He's my brother,” said Applejack, “the biggest, strongest pony in these parts.”

“I can believe it,” said Chase.

Fluttershy towed Pinkie Pie down near the floor. “Shouldn't you be going to meet Rainbow Dash?” said Pinky. “Besides, you shouldn't be seeing the party place until we're done or it won't be a surprise.”

“Alright,” said Chase, “and I guess it is almost lunch time. I think I can find my way back. I'll see you all this afternoon. Thanks again for the help this morning,Twilight.”

“No trouble at all,” replied Twilight. “See you later Chase.”

Chapter 14

Chase left Sweet Apple Acres and headed back to Ponyville. He was about halfway there when he decided to test out his wing. He lifted off and flew towards Rainbow Dash's home. He flew gingerly at first and then put on more speed. He winced and slowed down again.

“I'd better take it easy,” he thought. “I have to be at work in a few days.”

Despite his injury Chase found it easier to reach Dash's home than he had the night before. She had not returned so he laid down in the sun on her front porch and dozed. His nap was interrupted by a cheery but sarcastic voice.

“Sleeping? While I'm out working my wings off?” said the voice. “I ought to go dump that junk in the reservoir.”

Other voices laughed. Chase raised his head and looked around to find three pegasi mares laughing as they hovered in front of him. Rainbow Dash, Slipstream and Silverspeed had returned from their patrol.

“At least you get to fly,” he said groggily, “I've been walking all morning.”

“I might just have something for that,” said Rainbow Dash. “We stopped by Zecora's place on the way back and picked up some ointment that should help. I invited her to the party too, so you'll get a chance to meet her.”

Chase wasn't sure about using some zebra's 'home remedy'. “Is it safe?” he asked.

“Of course!” said Rainbow Dash, “if you don't believe me, just check out my eye.”

Rainbow hovered closer and Chase looked at her black eye. She had removed the bandage. He immediately noticed the change. Before it had been swollen and discolored but now it was nearly normal with only a slight discoloration remaining.

“Okay,” said Chase, “you can put it on me. Your eye looks a whole lot better. It doesn't help feathers grow back, does it?”

Dash laughed. “I don't think so. Zecora said; 'smear it on, do as I say and it will take the bruise away'. She didn't say anything about feathers. Maybe I should go back and ask if her if she has anything for that.”

“You'll see her this afternoon,” said Slipstream, “just ask her then.”

“Yeah,” said Dash, “that's true. Hold still Chase.” She opened the ointment and smeared some on Chase's injured wing. “I'm going to dab a little on a few of these other bruises too. There, that should make you feel better. Hey, Silverspeed, I've got a few dings on my head and neck. Put a little on them, will ya.”

“Sure,” replied Silverspeed. “Wow, you really got nailed all right. How big were those hailstones?”

“Bigger than a bit coin, smaller than a tennis ball,” said Chase. “One of them cracked the lens on my goggles. Any place in town sell those?”

“No,” said Slipstream, “we have to get ours from Cloudsdale. When one of us goes there they usually have to pick up a lot of stuff for us pegasi.”

“Oh,well,” said Chase, “I can pick up a pair when I get home. I'm taking the train anyway so I won't need them right away.”

“Must be nice to live in a big city where you can get anything,” said Silverspeed.

“Oh sure,” said Chase, “there's all kinds of shops, restaurants and being a port city we get first pick from any foreign land. And there's always something going on. Concerts, theaters, you name it.”

“Sounds great,” said Slipstream, “got any openings on your team?”

“Maybe,” said Chase, “like I told Rainbow Dash, I'm always on the lookout for a good weather pony. Go ahead and put in an application if you want.”

“Trying to steal my ponies, Chase?” said Rainbow Dash. “That's pretty low.” Her voice was serious now, tinged with anger.

“Hey, she asked and I wasn't going to lie to her,” said Chase flatly. “Any pegasi can apply for a transfer, you know that. Maybe I can get one of my ponies to transfer out here in exchange. One of them might like to live in Ponyville. Besides, you didn't seem to have any qualms about offering me a job first.”

Rainbow Dash scowled at him. He was being logical which, not being one of her strong points, she abhorred. She thought it best to get out of this conversation quickly. “You offered me a job too,” said Rainbow Dash. “Slipstream, if you want this, I have the paperwork and you'll get a good recommendation from me. Just think about it, okay?”

“Sure Rainbow Dash,” said Slipstream, “I will. I'll talk to you in a few days, either way I decide.”

“Fair enough,” said Dash, “and you,” she said addressing Chase, “don't try to send me some slacker to replace her.”

“That's easy,” replied Chase, “I don't have any. Don't you have a pony you'd like to move up?”

“That's true,” said Dash as she thought it over, “I can think of a couple of part timers to start with.”

“Hey, how about an older experienced pony that's looking to cut back a little?” asked Chase. “You could move up a part timer and replace the part timer with a good experienced pony.”

“I could see that working,” said Rainbow Dash. “You know Chase, I think it's good that you came here. It's not often that two team leaders meet up and talk about stuff. We should do this more often.”

“I'd like that, Rainbow,” said Chase.

Silverspeed elbowed Slipstream and winked. Slipstream covered her mouth to hide a grin. Rainbow Dash noticed at once.

“Don't you two have someplace to be?” asked Dash.

“Not really,” said Slipstream.

“Me neither,” said Silverspeed, “besides, it's more fun to watch you two fight and make up.”

“You're quick at that,” laughed Slipstream. “You fought and made up in ten seconds flat.”

“Inside Chase,” said Rainbow Dash. She turned and entered her home, waited for Chase, and closed the door on her underlings.

* * *
“I don't mean just us,” said Dash. “I mean all of the leaders, all the pegasi weather ponies. Maybe we could get an exchange program going or something.”

“That's a great idea,” said Chase, “you should write it up and send it to Cloudsdale. I'll endorse it if you want me to.”

“I will,” said Dash. “Let me figure out a few details. Maybe do a chart or something.”

“Not bad,” said Chase. “It really is a good idea. I didn't know anything about the Everfree Forest before I got here. And I didn't know how Ponyville does things or what resources you have here.”

“Resources?” said Dash.

“Well, how many ponies you have,” said Chase, “and if they're any good.”

“Oh, right,” said Dash. “If we ever have to move pegasi around in case of emergency it would help if at least some of use knew each other and were a little familiar with the weather, terrain and stuff.”

“Yeah,” said Chase, “like when that big storm hit Manehatten. I spent a lot of time explaining what all my ponies thought were simple things not to mention trying to remember who was who and which ones were the leaders. It was a real pain in the flank.”

Dash laughed, “I'll bet. Let me get some parchment and a quill. I've got to write this stuff down.”

Dash and went to her office followed by Chase. She dug out a map of Equestria and began numbering the towns that had their own weather teams. Next Dash took the parchment and made a grid. She started filling in the grid with the numbers of the towns.

“Okay,” said Dash, “we can start like this. Number one is Cloudsdale and number two is Canterlot. They swap a leader or a second in command and two weather ponies for a week. Number three is Ponyville and number four is Baltimare and they'll swap for a week and so on. Next time number one will swap with number three and number two with number four. We can just continue down the list until all the towns have swapped with all the others.”

“But not all the ponies will get to visit all the others,” said Chase.

“Not the first time through, no,” said Dash, “but after a few months of doing this, there should be a lot of pegasi that have got to know other areas.”

“So you think this should be an ongoing thing?” said Chase thoughtfully. “I suppose it would have to be because of all the ponies joining and leaving. You surprise me, Rainbow, I didn't think you would come up with something like this so fast.”

“It's no big deal,” replied Dash. “All I did was make a bigger version of my work rotation. It's pretty much the same thing. Now to write the letter.”

The letter took Rainbow Dash a little longer than she had thought. For one thing, Chase insisted on checking her wording and spelling very closely. This irritated the mare and she began to lose patience but she didn't want to look like an idiot to the Cloudsdale officials so she doggedly stuck to it. After the letter, she returned to her chart and finished filling in the schedule for six months.

“There! That should do it,” said Dash. “I still have time to get this down to the post office before the party too.”

“Before you seal the envelope, I want to enclose my letter, “said Chase. “Let me have a quill and paper.”

“What are you going to write?” asked Dash.

“Basically that I agree that your idea is a good one,” answered Chase, “and that we both benefited from an exchange of ideas. Does that sound good?”

“Yeah,” said Dash, “that sounds good. Just don't make it sound better than mine.”

Chase laughed. “I won't. It's just a short note to let them know I like the idea. Two team leaders might get it a little more attention.”

“Go ahead and write,” said Dash, “I need to get a drink.”

She went to the kitchen and got a bottle of apple juice. She laid down on the floor of clouds and watched Chase write his letter. She was still thinking over Chase's suggestion of moving to Cloudsdale. She had an answer but it wasn't one that she thought either of them would like.

“Done,” said Chase, “want to go mail it now?”

“In a minute,” said Rainbow Dash. “I thought about what you said this morning and I guess this is as good a time as any to tell you.” She hesitated. “It's a good suggestion, and I'm not saying I won't go for it, but not now. Not yet.”

“I see,” said Chase.

“I'm sorry,” said Rainbow Dash, “it's just too sudden. I want to get to know you better first and you should get to know me too. You might like me now but I'm not the easiest mare to get along with sometimes.”

“So what do you want to do?” asked Chase.

“We write to each other, meet up whenever we can, meet each others friends,” replied Dash, “you know, get to know each other. Your moving to Cloudsdale is a good idea but we need some time, at least I do.”

“Okay, Rainbow,” said Chase, “but I couldn't just leave without doing something.” He chuckled. “Besides, I didn't mean we should both just quit and move to Cloudsdale tomorrow. Even if you said yes, it would take some time.”

“Yeah,” agreed Rainbow Dash, “I guess it would. So, we're still cool, right?”

“Rainbow, of course we are,” said Chase. “I want, err.. would like things to progress faster. I am a stallion you know.”

“Yeah,” said Dash with a giggle, “I noticed.”

Chase walked over to Rainbow Dash and nuzzled her neck. They stood like that for a short time. They drew apart and kissed briefly.

“I like that,” said Rainbow, “this is really getting frustrating, isn't it?”

“You have no idea,” replied Chase. “Let's take our minds off it for a while; post office and then lets get a bite to eat before the party.”

“Okay,” said Rainbow Dash, “but I doubt it will work.” She walked back to the table to finish putting the chart and letters in the envelope. As she walked past Chase she stuck out a wing and ran it down his mane.

“You're not helping,” said Chase.

“Sorry, couldn't resist,” said Dash with a smile. “Help me get this stuff in the envelope.”

Chase helped her which brought their faces close together again. Except for a glance into each others eyes, they managed to to part without another kiss. Rainbow Dash finished addressing the envelope and sealed it. She put it into a satchel and slung it around her neck.

“All set,” said Dash, “let's go. We might get lucky and send it by courier to Cloudsdale HQ so they'll get it today.”

* * *
They left Dash's home and drifted down to Ponyville. They landed near the post office and were lucky enough to catch the courier to Cloudsdale. Leaving the post office, they walked the short distance to Sugar Cube Corner. After purchasing a few muffins, they left the shop and went to look for a place to have a picnic. Chase made a quick stop and purchased a small bag of fresh clover, having been cheated out of his first purchase by the dust devils.

“Where to now, Rainbow?” asked Chase.

“Let's fly down to the lake,” said Rainbow Dash, “it isn't far.”

“Okay,” said Chase, “you know, my wing is feeling a lot better.”

“Told ya Zecora knows what she's doing,” said Dash. “She does know a lot of stuff and can mix up a potion for just about anything. We used to be scared of her. I'm really glad we got over that.”

“Why were you scared?” asked Chase as they flew towards the lake.

“No good reason,” replied Dash with a laugh. “She was just mysterious, lived in the Everfree Forest and none of us had ever seen a zebra before.”

“There are a few in Manehatten,” said Chase, “a sometimes their ships dock so their sailors come and go. I've had some contact with them, usually weather related. Most of them are okay.”

Rainbow Dash started to dive towards the lake. She pulled up and Chase landed beside her. They had their light lunch and relaxed in the grass. It wasn't long, after a little nuzzling, before they were both drowsy. They fell asleep with Rainbow Dash between Chase's hooves and her head on his shoulder. Applejack found them there a couple of hours later when it became apparent that they were going to be late for the party.

“I'll eat mah hat if these two don't get hitched,” thought Applejack to herself. “They both like to sleep half the day away. Sure are cute like that, it'll be a shame to wake 'em.” She walked up next to the sleeping pair. “Ahem,” she said. There was no reaction. “AHEM,” she said louder. Still nothing. Applejack looked around and found a rock. She brought her hoof down on the rock three times making a loud clacking sound.

“Come in,” mumbled Rainbow Dash.

Applejack gave up on subtlety. “Will you two wake up!” she said in a loud voice. “You're going to be late for your party!”

Chase immediately snort and leaped to his hooves dumping Rainbow Dash in the process. Dash rolled and stood up, glancing around wildly.

Applejack was laughing hard enough to bring tears to her eyes. “S..sorry,” she managed to snort.

“What time is it?” asked Chase.

“Almost four,” said Applejack, “Twilight sent Fluttershy and me out to look for you when you didn't show up. Fluttershy went to check your home and I went into town. I ran into Junebug who said she saw y’all flyin' this way. I figured you were headed here.”

“Thanks for coming to get us but could you wake me up a little slower next time?” said Dash.

“Tried that, didn't work,” said Applejack with a smile. “You two are sound sleepers.”

Rainbow Dash yawned and stretched. “Let's get going. Okay if we fly ahead?”

“Sure,” said Applejack, “if you get up in the air Fluttershy might spot you. I'll trot over Ponyville way and send her to the farm if I see her. I'll be along directly.”

“See ya there, AJ,” said Dash, as she took off.

Chase and Rainbow Dash took off and climbed above the trees. They had barely started on their way to Sweet Apple Acres when Rainbow Dash spotted Fluttershy hovering above Ponyville.

“Keep going Chase,” said Rainbow Dash, “I'm going to get Fluttershy and tell Applejack to head straight to the farm.” Without waiting for an answer, she banked hard and headed for Ponyville.

Chase did as she asked but put on a little speed. He wanted to show her he was no slow poke.

After a short conversation with Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash flew to intercept Applejack. She informed her friend that Fluttershy had been pointed in the right direction and flew back towards Sweet Apple Acres.

Chase was preparing to land when Rainbow Dash flew up along side him. “Hi, Chase,” she said, “mission accomplished.”

Chase almost crashed. “You saw Fluttershy and Applejack and still got here at the same time I did?”

“Yep,” said Dash, as she landed. “no sweat. You must not have been going very fast. Wing still hurt?”

“Yeah,” replied Chase, “a little. Still feels better than it did though. I was taking it easy. Don't want to stress it. Heh”

“Give it some time,” said Dash. “Come on, we have a party to get to.”

Chapter15

The pair entered Applejack's barn and were greeted by cheers. There was quite a crowd at the party, at least forty guests were already there and more were arriving. The general story of their adventures in the Everfree Forest had been circulating around Ponyville all day. Depending on which pony was involved in the circulating, it had also changed considerably. Some versions, in fact, held little or no resemblance to the actual events. Consequently, Rainbow Dash and Chase spent most of the time before dinner answering questions and correcting fallacies.

At last it was time for dinner and the two adventurers got a much needed reprieve. Rainbow Dash and Chase sat at a table with only Rainbow's fellow Elements of Harmony and Spike for company. As they ate, Rainbow Dash's companions spent most of their time talking to Chase. He got to know more about Rainbow Dash than he had anticipated. Some of the stories made Dash laugh and others filled her with pride but not all of the stories were of Dash's liking. In her mind, her behavior at the Gala, her jealousy of Mare Do Well, her aborted theft of hospital property, her fear of anypony touching her hooves tended to tip the scales away from her accomplishments. Fortunately, Chase was more impressed by the other things she had done.

At one point Chase interrupted Twilight Sparkle to look at Rainbow Dash and ask, “You kicked a full grown dragon in the head?”

Dash could only smile and nod.

“Curse of the Pegasi strikes again,” said Chase. “I guess you are one of the old type pegasi. Please promise me you won't anything like that again.”

“Aw Chase,” said Rainbow Dash, “you know I can't do that. It just isn't me.”

“What's the Curse of the Pegasi?” asked Rarity.

To everyponies surprise, Fluttershy answered. “It's a theory about the reason pegasi are aggressive and rash,” she said. “I did a little research on it.”

“Professor Claghoof's theory, right?” said Twilight, “I read that while I was at Canterlot. Quite interesting but lacked data in my opinion.”

Applejack laughed. “No offense Fluttershy but you're the least aggressive or rash pony of any kind that I know.”

“If you don't count facing down a dragon, and a cockatrice,” said Fluttershy. “And the way I got after I took that course from Iron Will. What happens when I lose my temper like I did at the Gala? It happens to me too, just not as often as it does to Dashie.”

“She's got you there,” laughed Pinky Pie.

“Maybe you're right,” said Applejack. “You pegasuses sure can be rash and aggressive.... when you aren't sleeping the day away.”

“Well it's alright with me,” said Rarity, “remember; if Rainbow Dash hadn't been, well, herself and made that sonic rainboom, we wouldn't have got our cutie marks.”

“That's right!” said Pinky Pie, “this is a great story Chase. I'll start!”

“Wait,” said Chase, “you're the mare that did the sonic rainboom? But that was just last year.”

“I did the first one when I was just a filly,” said Rainbow Dash. “The one you're thinking of was at the Best Young Fliers Competition. I won that by the way.”

“Ooh That's a good story too,” said Pinky Pie. “Which one do you want to hear first, Chase?”

“Give me the cutie mark story first,” said Chase, “I've got to hear that.”

“Okay,” said Pinkie, “I was born on a rock farm.” And Pinkie Pie told her part of the story of her cutie mark. The rest of her friends followed and Rainbow Dash went last.

When that story was told, Chase asked about the second sonic rainboom. Rainbow Dash was about to tell her version but she spotted Zecora across the room.

“Why don't you tell the story, Rarity,” said Rainbow Dash. “I'll be right back.”

Dash went over to Zecora. “Hi, Zecora,” she said, “that ointment worked great. Thanks a lot.”

“I'm glad you like my healing paste, not to help would be a waste,” replied the zebra.

“Listen,” said Rainbow Dash, “why don't you come over to our table and meet Chase? We've been telling him about you and he'd like to meet you.”

“I will meet with Chase of course,” said Zecora, “it would be my pleasure, my little horse.”

Rainbow Dash and Zecora returned to Dash's table where she was greeted by the rest of Dash's friends and introduced to Chase. Chase thanked her again for the ointment, and asked jokingly if she had anything to make feathers grow back.

Zecora thought for a moment. “For birds there is something to make feathers grow,” she said, “but for pegasi I do not know. I will give some thought to this, perhaps an adjustment to the mix?”

“That would be great Zecora,” said Dash, “it's better than waiting a few weeks for them to grow back.”

“You must have a potion for everything,” said Chase. “Do all zebra's know how to mix potions?”

“It is not so, Chase my friend,” said Zecora, “few can mix what I intend.”

Zecora's presence livened up the the semi-private party at the table for a while but eventually the music started and most of the ponies danced or played the games Pinky Pie had provided. The party lasted for some time but did not go particularly late since most of the guests had to work the next day. Chase and Rainbow Dash danced mostly with each other but Chase also found himself dancing with Dash's friends and several of the other mares. The stallions willing to ask Rainbow Dash to dance were considerably fewer. Watching Chase dance with other mares while she sat idle made her more than a little jealous. She covered it as best she could by circulating through the crowd and accepting a dance from any pony that asked.

* * *
It was well after dark when the party started to break up. Chase and Rainbow Dash said their farewells and thanked Pinky Pie and the Apples for the party. They took flight immediately, wishing to give their legs a rest.

“You Ponyville ponies know how to throw a party anyway,” said Chase. “Do you always treat visitors like this?”

“Glad you liked it,” said Rainbow Dash as cheerfully as possible. “No, not all visitors get a bash like that. I think it's because you're kind of an important pony from Manehatten and the fact that we survived a night in the Everfree Forest.”

“What about you?” said Chase. “You're more important than me.”

“You think so,” replied Dash, “but the townsponies are so used to me doing crazy stuff that nothing I do surprises them anymore.”

Chase laughed. “Guess you'll have to try harder.” He flew close and brushed her with a wing tip.
Rainbow laughed too. Chase did have a way of making her feel better. “Maybe I will. Feel up for a little flight time before we head back?”

“Sure,” said Chase, “my wing feels almost normal now.”

The pair flew silently at a leisurely pace. The moon was up and nearly full. There were a few scattered clouds and they decided to take a break and landed on one. They sat close to one another, enjoying the quiet beauty of Luna's night. It seemed even quieter after the noisy party. Though both pegasi tried to think of something to talk about, neither spoke. They looked at one another, kissed briefly and leaned one each other. They had tomorrow, or at least part of tomorrow as Rainbow Dash would be working with the weather team, and the next day they would have to say goodbye. For now, it was enough to just be together. Eventually, Chase nuzzled Rainbow Dash and suggested they return to her home and call it a day. Reluctantly, she agreed and they flew back to Dash's home.

Landing outside of her door, Chase could bear the silence no longer. “What are you thinking about?” he asked.

“You, us,” replied Dash. “What are you thinking about?”

“Same thing,” said Chase, “ but mostly you. You're not usually this quiet.”

“I'm okay, I guess,” said Dash. “I'm just worried that you might forget me when you get back to Manehatten.”

“I don't think that's gonna happen,” said Chase. “I could say the same thing, you know? How do I know you won't find another stallion while I'm gone? You danced with quite a few tonight.”

Dash snorted. “Not as many mares as you danced with, and I'll bet you could have gone home with half of them.”

“Hmmm really?” said Chase.

Rainbow Dash glared at him. “Ha ha,” said Dash sarcastically.

“Rainbow, I was kidding,” said Chase, “and I really don't have anypony special in Manehatten. I used to but... well, we just parted ways. She got married last year.”

“None of those stallions are anything special either, at least not to me,” said Rainbow Dash, “some are just friends, others have mares already. There are some that are free but... just aren't my type.”

“Good,” said Chase, “so we're both free, attracted to each other, have a lot in common and...”

“Live in different towns, don't want to interrupt our careers or give up on our dreams,” finished Rainbow Dash.

“Yeah,” said Chase, “ain't life great?”

Dash wasn't amused. “Come on,” she said, “let's go to bed.”

“Alright!” said Chase.

“No!” exclaimed Dash, “that's not what I meant! Wait, you're messing with me again, aren't you?”

“Maaaybe,” he said.

“I will get you for this,” said Dash with a smile.

They entered Dash's home and after a few minutes of kissing and and nuzzling each other, they reluctantly went to their own rooms. It was a long time before Chase got to sleep. Strangely, Rainbow Dash was able to fall asleep almost immediately.