AppleDash 2,544 members · 716 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18
KrazyTheFox
Group Contributor

Come one, come all, and gather 'round for the announcement of the winners of the fifth AppleDash contest! The long wait is over!

We had a staggering 17 entries this time with a whole lot of first-time entrants, as well as the return of some seasoned veterans. In all, you all wrote 205,267 words (the longest entry being 30,005) over 57 chapters. That's seriously impressive!

The judges all had a very hard time picking out the winners, but we've finally managed to narrow it down to our favorites. If you thought the last contest was close, this was even closer.

So, without further ado, the winners:

KrazyTheFox
Group Contributor
KrazyTheFox
Group Contributor

In second place:

Titanium Jack by HapHazred

KrazyTheFox
Group Contributor

Finally, we have, in first place:

Spectrum of Gray by Novel-Idea

KrazyTheFox
Group Contributor

Congratulations, everyone, on a super successful contest! I'll be contacting the winners shortly to organize prizes. As for everyone else, watch this spot. We'll have some honorable mentions to, um, mention soon (as well as some thoughts/commentary on the winners)!

Tchernobog
Group Admin

I think I was the driving force behind the prompt, this time around. While I love me some fluff and sappy stories, I've thought for a while that AppleDash can have some great fics that are somewhat more serious. And few things are more serious in ship fics than second chances.

Enter these entries, and whooo boy. :pinkiecrazy:

To be honest, there are too many I'd like to claim as honorable mentions. Some made me laugh (you know who you are), some made me wat (you know who you are too :derpyderp1: ) and some made me wish we had more than three sets of prizes. Honestly, I liked every entry, and that doesn't always happen in every contest!

My vote for Honorable Mention however goes to:

The Hanging Hat by Snowybee.

I'll be quite frank, I'm not even sure I can describe why, either. It's just... that desperate struggle for Applejack to understand, that desperate fight for that second chance, as brief as it was... It struck a chord. I don't really have any experience in my life that this reminded me of, but still it struck something. Hence I felt it deserved my honorable mention.

Onto the winners!

General Amnesty

God damn. A lot of times, I dont feel eloquent enough to explain what I'm thinking. Or I don't even know what I'm thinking and thus can't really explain it. General Amnesty, and in fact, all three winners and the honorable mention left me feeling this way.

Discovering the New World Order, and Rainbow's desperate desire to change things, no matter the cost... More than any of the other stories, this kept me at the edge of my seat. Despite the whole theme of the contest, I truly did not know for sure what Rainbow would decide. Well done, Cynewulf.

Titanium Jack

So, HapHazred. When are you going to assault Hasbro's HQ, and hold them at gunpoint to get them to animate this story?
Because I loved this. I really, really loved this. As soon as I finished reading it, despite being one of the first entries to be submitted, I knew this was a ranker. This alternate world that changed itself around TJ... I want to know more. I want to see it. Please, if some artist is reading, make fanart of this!

I know I'm not really saying much about the story , but I don't *have* much to say except that I loved everything about it. The setting, the take on the characters... the second chance might be my only criticism, being not quite what you'd hope for or expect, but I won't go into detail as to not spoil the story for all. Check it our yourself!

Spectrum of Gray

I... I can't really comment on this one. Again, this has to do with experience in my life. I want to say that in some form, I'm lucky enough that I've never encountered the situation this depicts. On the other hand that's mostly because I've never really gotten that far in a relationship in the first place, but that's a different matter.

What I can say is that I am unable to appreciate the story as much as I know I should. It is amazing. And the emotions and feelings at play are so strong, so real, that it annoys me that I can't really empathize with them more. Despite this, the story's strength shone through so much that it got its well deserved first place. With me hoping I never encounter this situation. :raritydespair:

Apologies to everyone who expects more from this commentary. As I said, I don't feel like I can accurately really write out my thoughts as well as I should. But congratulations to the winners, and thanks to all the participants!

Om nom nom, taking up some space for thoughts soon.

KrazyTheFox
Group Contributor

I might as well grab a separate spot as well.

Thank you so much! I'm thrilled you all enjoyed it, especially since it was such a hard story to write. I can't wait to read the others! :heart:

I enjoyed doing this, even though I didn’t place. Now to go and work on getting better again.

:pinkiehappy::ajsmug::rainbowdetermined2:

Congrats everyone!

HapHazred
Group Contributor

the second chance might be my only criticism, being not quite what you'd hope for or expect

That's actually good you think that, because then it turns the story into a very meta self-commentary that auto-loops into itself in a hilariously ironic manner.

Given that the second chance isn't really the big bacon-bringer, the real second chance is for me. : )

Or maybe I just made that up. Either way, super glad you enjoyed it. I actually thought it might be a bit hit and miss.

EDIT: I actually feel super bad about not reading virtually any of the other entries. I kind of got caught up by accidentally sort of starting a PhD which slightly ate up all my energy. I'll try to read them soon, I promise!

KrazyTheFox
Group Contributor

Soon! I really wanted to re-read the winners and my runner up to do some proper commentary on them... then work struck back. :ajsleepy:

I'll make time over the next day or two. I promise!

KrazyTheFox
Group Contributor

I meant days on the moon. Yeah, that's it! Uhmmm.....

I originally had time off (due to having worked a weekend last weekend) that I was planning on using for re-reading. Instead of extra time off, I ended up working this weekend, too. With any luck, I'll be able to dedicate time to doing this tomorrow. :ajsleepy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18
Join our Patreon to remove these adverts!