• Published 27th May 2013
  • 715 Views, 17 Comments

Music Is All I Have Left. - Vic Viper



Saron, an eighteen year old, male, unicorn, is a musical prodigy that only comes once in a thousand years. Only Saron is currently homeless.

  • ...
4
 17
 715

New beginnings. *revised*

It would seem that life just did not want Saron to have a good day. Having woken up at eleven thirty in the morning, Saron was completely ignored by passing ponies, all scuffling along the pavement in a hurry for some food. Some even walked by with food in their hands...And the occasional jackass waving food in front of him. Being hungry was one of Saron's least favorite pastime. Having little money does this, not being to eat for days at a time, and when Saron finally does get some food, it is usually something small.

growl Saron's stomach grumbled while he was sitting on his bucket chair playing his flute.

'We have been over this stomach! If you have any complaints send them to brain! Otherwise you will distract me, I'll play horribly, and ponies will continue to ignore me!' Saron mentally chastised his stomach while reaching the climax of the song he was playing.

GROWL Saron's stomach grumbled with ferocity, causing Saron to slip up and mess up his song.

"Well it seems you play as terrible as you look, I dare you play even worse. Please do us all a favor and leave. You are a blight on this road and are causing us good folk to lose business." A passing bystander said after hearing the small mistake.

'See, i warned you stomach! look what happened, now we probably wont get enough money to eat food again!' Saron monologued in his mind, completely unaware of the unruly gentleman right in front of him.

"Are you deaf? I said leave!" Yelled the female pony to Saron, causing him to snap out of his mind and back into the real world.

"I'm sorry? I didn't know it was illegal to play music on the side of the street. Be that as it may, I am not harming anyone by sitting here. Besides...I'm hungry and i need the money."Saron said to the mare.

"Oh? You're hungry are you? Well this is obviously not the way to go about making money, seeing as how terrible you play. Might i suggest being a garbage-pony. You obviously have a lot or practice being around garbage, seeing as you play with with a piece of it."taking a a sniff in the air" And as an added bonus you smell like Garbage too." The mare said while fanning her-self and snapping her head up in a snooty fashion.

"How dare you make fun of my flute. You can make fun of me, my music, my smell, my hair, anything about me. But this flute is the ONE THING you don't make fun of!" Saron hissed at the mare while standing up to his full height. Saron, although he was skinny, looked intimidating at full height. Standing at 6"5, Saron probably weighed at around 140 lbs, very unhealthy for somepony of his stature. His horn however, was the most intimidating part about him, unlike most unicorn horns which were about 3-4 inches long and stubby, Saron's horn was white and blue stripes going up in a circular motion, 6 inches long and sharp at the tip. Combing it with his grey coat, and white a blue mane, caught the mare off guard.

"Well i never!" the mare said taking a step back. "Regardless your terrible playing is ruining my business, leave at once!" The snooty mare retorted from 4 feet away.

Scoffing at her words, Saron decides to show her up. 'I'll show her who is the terrible one here' Saron schemed.

Saron begins walking towards the mare, who instinctively bring her arms up to block her face. When nothing happened she lowered them down, only to see Saron walking right past her towards the crowd that had begun to form behind the bickering duo.

"Does anyone have any songs they wish for me to play? Preferably something i haven't heard before!" Saron asks the crowd, who just stares back at him with confused looks.

Saron was about to ask again when a small filly broke free from her mother grasps and approached him.

"Here you go mister, it has a speaker so you can play it out loud to!" The small filly squeaked while her mother was still trying to process what her little girl just did.

Upon noticing this Saron knelt down and said thank you to the filly. Standing up he focused his gaze on the mother.

"Ma'am, is it alright if I can borrow this for a few minutes?" Saron asked, with his greatest weapon...THE PUPPY DOG STARE!

Completely caught of guard, the mother simply nodded at Saron actions.

Saron brought his attention to the crowd. "Alright folks! lets see what...I'm sorry what was your name again sweetheart?

"Lilac! Lilac green!" the small filly squeaked with joy.

Saron chuckled at her response "Well lets see what song Lilac chose!" Looking down at the screen, Saron saw the song name Payphone by MareMoon 5. 'Awesome, I have never heard this song before, this should work.'

"Alright folks, here how its going to work! I'm going to listen to this song just once and then play it on my flute! I have never heard this song before!" Pressing the play button, music begins to flow from out of the little phone.

Closing his eyes, Saron begins to blot of all of the noise around him. Even the lyrics in the song were gone, only the melody remained. Silently memorizing each note, each pause, each emotion that came from the song. To the crowd Saron had just closed his eyes, and began swaying left and right. To Saron, he was in another world, his world, the world of music.

As the song came to a close, Saron opened his eyes and cuts off his mental trance. Drawing his attention to the Lilac, Saron hands her back the phone.

"Thank you Lilac, I really appreciate it, now go back to your mother. And thank you Ma'am." Saron expressed his gratitude to the family, putting the most grateful face he could conjure up.

Saron drew his attention back to crude business mare.

"Now lets see if you call this a terrible performance." Saron hissed at her causing the mare to flinch slightly.

'Alright Saron, breathe in, breathe out. Lets put on a show!' Mentally prepared, Saron lifts up his flute and begins the melody .

Closing his eyes, Saron begins his performance. Starting of with a slow and peaceful melody, Saron begins to tap his foot to the imaginary beat of the song. The crowd slowly loses their breath as Saron continues to play each note in tune with the original song. Then, their is a clap, and another clap, a stomp, and another stomp, until the entire crowd begins to clap and stomp to the beat of the song. After a minute passes by Saron begins to sway in place, and then he begins to dance in circles.
Saron had no clue why he was so happy playing this song, only that right now, he was having the most fun he has had in weeks.

Reaching the end of his sonata, Saron stops dancing and begins to pull magic into his horn. A blue aura begins to envelop his horn, charging up for his finale, a small illusion spell of a single note, that when casted makes a small bang.
Casting the spell his finishes the last note with in a higher octave a jerks his head back in an exaggerated fashion.

Finally done with his song, Saron slowly crawls back to reality. The entire time Saron was playing, his eyes had been closed. It was then he began to hear an unfamiliar noise, something Saron had never heard before.

'Are they clapping..? No..they couldn't be' Saron thought. Unable to wait any longer he opened his eyes, and what greeted him was something he thought he would never see. Clapping, lots of clapping, by lots of ponies! Somehow while Saron was playing, they crowd that had gather previously almost tripled in size!

Dumbstruck, Saron could not believe what he was seeing. To dumbstruck in fact, that he did not notice the crude mare from before trying to talk to him until she patted him on the back

"Ho-uh?"

"I would like to apologize, i have been under stress lately and i took it out on you. Your music is wonderful, here take this as a token of my apology." The mare placed a single bit for his performance into Saron's bucket before vanishing into the crowd.

Clank Another bit flew into the bucket

Clank
Clank
Clank
Clank
Clank
Clank
Clank
Clank

Saron was astonished! The ponies were actually giving him money!

'Fifteen, sixteen, sevente-OMG IS THAT A TEN BIT COIN?' Saron was screaming in his head as more and more bits came flying into is bucket. By the end of all the counting, Saron had procured 47 bits in total.

Barely unable to hold his excitement, Saron was mentally contemplating all the food he could get his hands on.

'Hay burger?...no...Hay fries!?...no...Hay fries and a Hay burger with a strawberry milkshake and more Hay burgers...yes...' Slightly drooling now, Saron was comepletely oblivious to the mare trying to call his attention from behind.

"Oh my! Are you allright Mr.? You seem to be drooling all over the floor!" the Mysterious mare said in a slightly higher tone snapping Saron out of his Fantasies.

"Huh? Oh sorry, i was stuck in my own world again, what seems to be the pro-..." Saron cuts himself off has he turns around. Infont of him was a beautiful mare, but not just any mare, Saron has seen this mare countless times on posters while walking around the slums. This mare was Fleur de lis, a model that has taken the modeling agency by storm.

"Well, i was just in the neighborhood when i heard you playing the wonderful melody and i just had to meet the pony playing such a wonderful tune!"

Saron just stared, for what seemed to be an eternity. He was lost in her eyes, it almost seemed like she was hypothesizing him.

Fleur only giggled to herself with Saron's reaction. Then she took at closer look at his face. Fleur could see Saron's jawline perfectly. Adding to the fact she had seen him drooling earlier, Fleur figured out that he must be hungry, no, famished.

"Would you like something to eat? Their is a nice eating establishment around the corner from here. I would like to treat you if tha- are you ok? Hello? Oh my WATCH OUT" Fleur screamed as Saron began to fall.

The prospect of eating free food, meeting a celebrity, all the exercise he had just done, had finally taken his tole and he passed out.


Saron stirred from his unconscious state with a groan that could put a manticore to shame.

"ugh...why does my head feel like its been hit with a baseball bat."

"Well it might do with the fact that you passed out and hit the ground head first shortly after I invited you to eat some food." Fleur spoke with a small tinge of annoyance.

Saron however froze, he recognized this voice.

'Its Fleu!! wait...where am i? and why is she here with me?' Saron thought while opening his eyes only to be blinded by light.

"Um, where are we?" Saron asked in the most thoughtful tone he could muster

"We are, dear Saron in the alleyway in which you currently reside. And i have to say this is quite a tidy alleyway, as far as clean alleyways go at least."

Opening his eyes, Saron saw that the mare was sitting right across from him on what appeared to be the bucket he was using for his shows. Slowly rising to a sitting position, Saron coughed into his hands to grab her attention.

"Well Miss Fleur, im sorry to have been a burden to you, i was overwhelmed by the moment of it all. It did not help that I was dancing when i had no energy to do so. On top of the fact you offered to give me food. Please accept my apology ." Saron said while throwing of Fluer with his vocabulary.

"It seems appearances are not all what they seem Saron." She said while eyeing him up and down. Not giving Saron a chance to speak she continues on.

"Regardless, waiting for you to wake up, i have also become hungry so hurry up now." She said without missing a beat.

"Um..yes ma'am." Saron said with a smile on his face, which then in turn caused Fleur to smile.

The walk from his alleyway to the store was not that long. However it felt like an eternity. The entire time Saron and Fleur were walking, Saron had been receiving deathly stares from the ponies walking by. At one point during the walk Saron had flipped his hood over his head to avoid looking at them. Fleur, standing at 5'10, didn't seem to notice Saron's distress.

Upon arriving at the store, Saron identified it as Donut Joe's. He had seen this store countless times while he lived in Canterlot, he had never gone inside, he did however walk by sometimes just to smell the aromas. To Saron, the smell from the outside was enough to bring a shiver down his spine. Saron continued to stare at the store for a couple seconds before receiving a nudge to his side.

"Are you ready to go inside? Or are you going to devour the sign, seeing as how you are staring so intently at it." Fleur said with a sly smile across her face.

"Um...yes" Saron replied with a sheepish smile as he opened the door to let Fluer in first.

"My, what a gentlecolt. You keep getting more and more interesting." Fleur trailed of in a small murmur that Saron did not notice.

"Now, seeing as i did invite you, you can have whatever so pleases you! Everything is on me."

GROWL

"Um...just to be sure...you don't mind if i let loose right? I mean i know what i want, bu-" Fleur cut him of with a single finger to his mouth.

"Please i insist. And do not worry, i have more than enough currency my dear"

It was in this exact moment in time the Fleur felt a shiver down her spine. Saron's eyes glossed over almost as if something else had taken over.

'Something tells me that my bank account is going to feel lighter after this' Fluer inwardly sighed.

Donut Joe was silently watching the scene play before him when Saron seemingly teleported straight to the counter.
Joe barely had time to greet Saron before he began to ask for his order. Slightly taken aback, Joe had brought all the food Saron asked for, which was four trays full of pasteries, fries, hay burgers, and fruit. The moment Fleur had paid for all the food, It disappeared, along with Saron, to the corner of the restaurant.











'FOOOOOOOOOOD' Was the only thought that raced through Saron's brain as he devoured everything in front of him.

Comments ( 11 )

2691579 Dear lord that url! i did not mean to do that at all! it was supposed to be a hyperlink! D: ill fix that right away thank you for telling me. As for the grammar errors....what can i say i suck at english...even though its my first language and i have no editor :T.

Roughly sane issues in this one as the prolog. A few "I's" need capitalized as well. You also may want to capitalize your entire title, it makes it look better. Other then that, all you need is practice and whatnot.:twilightsmile::pinkiehappy:

Also, it's spelled Fleur, not Fluer. As the head of the Fleur de Lis group, I have the right to complain about this.

Still, I look forward to seeing where this goes

2692607 Woopsies~ ill get right on fixing that :twilightsmile: thanks for the input! :pinkiehappy:

Nice story you have here! :pinkiehappy:

3033690 Oh my...well thank you~...:twilightsheepish:

why you no continue?

Saron chuckled at her response "Well lets see what song Lilac chose!" Looking down at the screen, Saron saw the song name Payphone by MareMoon 5.

no no no No No NO NO NONONONO NO!
I like the reference but it is a bit too on the nose

I also really like this story, I like the way it's written, I like the main character and I like the premise and plot.
Keep the chapters coming!😁

Login or register to comment