• Published 18th Jun 2013
  • 369 Views, 16 Comments

Changing Fate - Pax



A stallion wishes to change his life.

  • ...
 16
 369

Within Oneself

Disclaimer; I don't own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It's Hasbro's brainchild, I'm just playing with it for the time being. However, I am willing to cease and desist if they command it. Now no lawyers can come crawling out after me.


After his mother had returned, she was greeted with a joyous sight, her youngest son had returned home for a short duration of time. There was a minor debate on the fact that he wasn't dating, married, or even in any state of romance. However, she didn't seem to particularly care, and she began making a most excellent dish to celebrate his return. When it was done, they ate heartily and retired to small talk soon afterward.

"So, you still haven't met anypony that you want to settle down with?" his mother asked for what seemed to be the millionth time.

"No." Avery said grimly.

"But with a face like that, you should have mares falling at your feet!" his mother whined.

"Actually, I have your face. And the only reason why mares would fall at my face, is by fainting from disgust." Avery retorted, hiding an insult behind a thin veil of words. Unfortunately his mother picked up on it, and said,"That's not a very nice thing to say to your mother!" and slapped him. She slapped him quite hard an a thin trail of blood leaked out of his mouth.

"Ow..." Avery said, holding his jaw. His mother was mortified, at the fact that she had drawn blood. Avery held his jaw and retired to his sleeping quarters, and his father looked equally embarrassed and offered an ice pack. Avery lay in his bed, facing upright, and drifted off to sleep.


Deep below the earth, a being wrapped in chains and marked with multiple magic seals. It was intrigued by this strange being. A being who had shook its ties with Fate and walked upon Chaos. If it could undo its mortal shackles, could It not do so too? It stirred and the chains rattled, a few bursting out of place. It smiled, and began to bide its strength, as it knew it could now escape.


Avery dreamt that night, but it was not one of his normal dreams. It instead was a nightmare. Many many many different apparitions of pure malice filled his dream, attacking him in droves. He fought back, but there were endless hordes of them. He became more overwhelmed by the moment, and was constantly being beaten down every time he attempted to get back up. He bled as he was pummeled, by them, his pain ever growing. I shall not die here.he asserted, and pitifully tried to drag himself away.

He awoke with a start, his nightmare, leaving him panting and sweating. Avery relaxed, and tried to slip back into sleep. He couldn't fall back asleep though. The adrenaline from his nightmare yet lingered. Instead, he thought.

It's said that dreams reflect something. If so, what was my nightmare?he thought. It could be anything. It could be a hidden feeling of despair, threatening to drag him down, or perhaps an outer thing. Heck, it could be that slap that his mother dealt hours ago. He was confused, and could not sleep, so he got up. He headed for the kitchen, and made himself some breakfast. It was about 3 am, and the sun had not risen. Still, he decided it would be kind of fun, to see how it is outside during the night. He got some cereal out of the cabinet, and poured it into a bowl. He proceeded to devour the snack voraciously. He brushed his teeth, went downstairs and exited the house. Outside, there were few lights, and the area was quite quiet. It was empty, except for the expanse of the night sky. It was quite a beautiful sight. He sat on his porch and stared out into the expanse of navy blue, occasionally dotted by pinpricks of light. And that wasn't the end of it the moon was huge, and shone with a silver light, and rather than repulsing one's vision, the moon brought his gaze back to it over and over again.

"I never noticed how beautiful it was in Manehattan. All the city lights and sky scrapers blocked out the night sky. Now that I'm back here in Trottingham... Wow," he said.


Far Away in Canterlot, a certain blue alicorn sneezed.

"Sister, are you coming down with something?" Celestia asked.

"No," Luna replied. "I'm immune to such viruses."


Back in Trottingham, Avery sat still, waiting for the night to pass. As time slowly slipped by, Avery got bored and began running laps around the neighborhood. He ran around 10 times in a row, before finally stopping against a sign post. His stamina had increased, but only minorly. Out of breath, he walked back to his parent's house and hopped onto the couch. He had burned at least an hour, but it was still only sunrise. Once again hungry, he slipped into the kitchen, and made a sandwich. He quickly ate said sandwich, and turned on the TV. What he saw he was not ready for.

"Breaking News Report from Las Pegasus, I'm here where a massive earthquake has just resulted, not only that, but there appears to be a powerful magic field surrounding the area, forcing almost all civilians to flee. Now I'm here with the head of the geology community, and what would you say is the cause of all this?" the News reporter asked holding her microphone toward his mouth. The head of the geological community snatched the microphone, and began to speak.

"What has happened here is completely unprecedented. Apparently, an underground disturbance has resulted in massive earthquake that has spread across the area, and has destroyed multiple roads, opened many sinkholes, and has resulted in multiple fatalte. From what we can tell, the underground disturbance is undetectable. We have yet to locate it. In the meantime, all those in nearby the Las Pegasus area, you should run for higher ground. We have learned this much about the source; It isn't done yet," he said, shaking the camera for extra effect. "It is of great importance that you leave the area, until we can identify the source. Thank you for your time."

Hmm. Now isn't that weird. All those fancy magical gizmos of theirs and they can't find the source of an earthquake? That's weird. They should be able to detect anything within at least 30 kilometers below the surface. Unless its past that point. Then we won't be able to find it. he thought. He decided that if he wanted to go and find the ancient civilization, he should find the location of one of the places where the civilization once resided. Flicking on his old computer he tapped out the password and began to search across the world for a spot. He located one in Southern Equestria, located near the Badlands. From the description, it appears to have been a mining district. However, the understanding of the technology in the mining district is yet unknown. It didn't matter to him though. He would figure it out. By his standards, his dream was actually pretty dangerous. Rushing into an abandoned mining district? What if a support post broke and there was a cave-in? What if he accidentally walked into a stream of poisonous gas and died? So many if's were not in his mind. He became metaphysically blind. He subconsciously refused to see his path, and instead walked wherever he wished. He became a mortal of Chaos. As per a god's words, "No one, not even fate can decide what those fools will do."

In Ponyville, inside a cottage, a certain draconequus became intrigued by his actions, as he could feel the ripple in the chaos that he had to regulate. He smirked faintly, before returning to his slumber beside a pink and yellow pony. The draconequus thought, No one has taken a path like that, or rather a lack of one in a long long time. Perhaps I should visit this being sometime.

Author's Note:

Bit of a head's up. During the week, I will be at a summer camp. I won't be on very long, and I can't write an entire chapter in that time either, at least until my body temperature goes down.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment