• Published 18th Jun 2013
  • 369 Views, 16 Comments

Changing Fate - Pax



A stallion wishes to change his life.

  • ...
 16
 369

Dreams Reborn

Disclaimer; I don't own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It's Hasbro's brainchild, I'm just playing with it for the time being. However, I am willing to cease and desist if they command it. Now no lawyers can come crawling out after me.


When Avery arrived in the train station, he marveled at the place that he lived in as a child, and grown up. New buildings had appeared, and many old ones had disappeared. All in all, it felt nostalgic, but only slightly. He wondered if fate had done that on purpose, in order to try and stop him from rebelling against it. Regardless, even if fate had destroyed all evidence of his dreams, he would seek them out, even if he had to die to do so. Well, maybe not die. After all, his dreams might be the complete opposite what death would. Regardless, he was determined to find something, anything that might help him toward his goal.

He exited the train station and headed toward his parent's house. His parents would be quite useful. After all, he lived with them in that brief time of his childhood. However, the new roads and the years he had spent away from Trottingham made it hard for him to find the way back to his house. He had been wandering for a few hours, hopelessly lost, before he finally succumbed to the rising confusion and got a map of the neighborhood from a street vendor. He had both met and heard of a few new characters in Trottingham. It turned out that after he left his home for Manehattan, Trottingham had gotten a new mayor. The new mayor had dictated that many new buildings be built and renovations and expansions to be implemented on existing structures. For example, the stadium was made much bigger and as a result, tourist income had increased, making the new stadium essentially pay for itself. Furthermore, the increased income had also allowed the mayor to expand the business district, advancing the place economically. Many people had moved out of the suburbs and into the city and in the wake of their mass exodus, their empty houses were torn down, and new houses were built in their place. All in all, Trottingham had developed greatly under the eyes of the new mayor. However, it was not one hundred percent a mega-city; it still had a ways to go to achieve that status.

As he walked onto the porch of his old home, some nostalgia came up and Avery smiled softly. He turned and knocked on the door, patiently waiting for an answer.

When the door opened, Avery was knocked over by the concussive force of a phone book speeding to the head. His father was the one who had thrown the phone book. When his father noticed that it was not a salesman, he quickly helped Avery up, and got him an ice pack for his head.

"So then Avery, what brings you back home?" his father asked. He was still quite embarrassed that he had nailed his own son with a phone book, but at the same time, happy that he had come back to visit.

"Oh nothing, much, just trying to bend fate to my will and accomplishing my dreams, sort of thing," Avery replied.

"Wait, what?" his father asked. He wasn't sure if he had heard him clearly enough. Did he say something about bending fate?

"I'm just a bit nostalgic, Dad," Avery replied. His father took upon a look of relief.

"Well, if you want, you can sleep in your old room, we've kept it exactly as it was, when you left. Haven't touched a thing. Your mother may have come through and dusted a few things off, but that's about it," his father told him.

"I'm not going to be here long, only about a week or so. Thanks," Avery told his dad. Avery and his dad were always on good terms. Once upon a time they had been on bad terms, but after an accident involving a burglar attempting to attack Avery's father and a young Avery coming to his rescue, they had been on good terms. The burglar was stealing their valuables, and was going to kill Avery's father, but Avery heard the commotion and tackled the burglar, his only thought to protect his father. In the time that Avery had caught the robber off guard, Avery's father managed to call in the police. The burglar landed a few slashes on Avery, but the police surgeon managed to fix him up. After the incident, they father and son both recognized that if the other had not existed, they would have died. So in the end, they simply felt indebted to one another.

Avery trotted up the stairs and headed to his old room, his icepack still applied to his head. He somewhat dreaded the moment his mother came home. His mother was always quite irritatingly nice to him. A few times, he suspected that his own mother was in love with him. Still, he had a bit of love for her, but not a lot.

Upon entering his old room, he searched around for a clue, anything that would so much as a hint of what his dreams were. He remembered his old journal that he used to record his life. When young, he had been diagnosed as clinically depressed, but he had taken his medication and got over it. In the meantime when he was taking medication, he was to right a log of his days, everything that happened to him, what he dreamt that day, etc. Perhaps that could give him a hint. He went over to his desk and flipped threw a few drawers. In the bottom of the 2nd to last drawer, he found it.

Elated by his discovery, he whipped it onto his desk and began reading it. He started with entry number one.

"Hello, Journal. Apparently I'm supposed to write down what happens to me on each day. I particularly feel it's useless to even use this thing, but my parents told me to do so. Anyway, Today, I went to the psychiatrist and got the results of my personality test. Apparently I scored highly in "Depression," whatever that is. As a result, they have me eating these icky pills and writing in a journal. Today was like any other. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to sleep." This piece of information wasn't very useful, but he had to soldier on. He continued reading until he found a brief hint of his dream. On the 37th entry, it mentioned his dream.

"Hello, Journal. Today, I learned about an ancient race of creatures from one of the books I checked out at the library. It was in the adult section, but it's actually really quite cool. Apparently, long ago, a race of beings ruled over the planet, and enslaved the ponies. But the thing is, they couldn't use magic, and weren't actually very strong. Instead, they used technology in order to keep all the other creatures in line. It said that some of their technology was so powerful, one weapon of theirs is said to be able to fry an army of dragons in an instant. It says that they don't know what happened to them, but when I grow up, I want to be an archaeologist and figure out about these so called humans. If I can figure out the secret to their technologies, I may be able to replicate them, and combining that with today's magic, I can make some of the most powerful magical technologies! Hahaha!"

So my dream was to become a great inventor after learning about the technology of a long dead race? Well, I guess that's something to work with.Avery Whooves thought. He searched deeply into his childhood and tried to find more on this. His older brother, Doctor Whooves, had left to go to Ponyville to work on clocks and stuff. It had been 20 years ago. Avery's brother was about 11 years older than him. Avery always told his dreams to his older brother, but had been ignored. Doctor never referred to Avery as annoying, but instead kept it internal. They'd known each other for a good 9 or so years before Doctor left home and went to Ponyville. Then Avery realized. Doctor was always revered as a prodigy. He had maintained a 4.0 grade point average with at least 5 advanced classes every year. But, Doctor didn't go all out. No. Instead, Doctor moved to Ponyville to tinker with clocks. Why? Someone as smart as Doc should have been able to at least become a high-ranking scholar somewhere. But what had happened? Time. Time must have worn him down and he let go of his dreams. He flipped through his journal quite quickly. He stopped on a page. There. He himself clearly stated that Doc had once told him that he once had a dream to revolutionize technology. However, that had never occurred.

This philosophy of mine is way more important that I thought.Avery thought deeply. If his brother, the genius, the prodigy, the gift of God was crushed by Time, then he knew that the road would not be easily. Perhaps his brother had the strength to walk this road, but not the will. Whatever, it didn't matter to him. He would succeed and prove that Fate does not bind us. He would!

His realization of his own fate, stood out firmly amongst his other thoughts. His adrenaline started pouring through himself, he became rather excited at the thought of accomplishing his dream, and being imprinted on history.