• Published 27th Apr 2013
  • 1,416 Views, 14 Comments

Daylight's End - Shining Star



Snowdrop was Luna's only true friend, but Luna and SnowDrop were torn apart by the monster Nightmare Moon. But what happened between the two friend's that could have sent Luna reeling over to the darkside?

  • ...
4
 14
 1,416

Chapter One

The unicorn spit the blood from his mouth as he drew one of his few breaths left. A young mare sheltered his dying body from the monster who destroyed Equestria has she had known it. The ruined throne room was crumbing around the ponies in the room as the dark mare cackled at the shivering ponies.

“Oh you young foal. Thinking you could defeat me and all the glory I behold! No one, not even the SUN GODDESS could stop me!” The monster cackled. “Now watch as he dies along with your precious day. The night shall last forever! AHAHAHAHA!!”

The blue mare could hear the monsters laughter roll around the room echoing loudly. Tears fell from her blind eyes as she held the dying body of her friend, her special somepony. A shaky hoof touched her cheek stroking it softly.

Her special somepony spoke hoarsely from his pool of drying blood. “Please, defeat her. She is no longer the pony you once knew my love. If not for the fate of Equestria, for me.”

The mare’s eyes filed with salty tears as she listened to his speech. “Please… please. Don’t leave me. I can’t do it without you. The Elements need you! I need you…” She laid her head on his chest where she could hear his heart beat slowly becoming more and more faint.

“She is no longer Luna. No longer your best friend, I knew you would always be the one to change Equestria. Always.” The stallion said nuzzling her with his last strength.

“Oh how darling! But I have no time for soppy love stories you sun loving peasants! Now kneel before me or watch as I kill your princess.” Nightmare Moon yelled at the pair. Lightning zapped from her swirling mass of magic she called her hair, sending the young blue mare flying into a wall.

The four ponies strewn across the floor with injuries aplenty shifted to help her. Nightmare Moon engulfed them with her mane lifting them a dozen feet in the air. “You will do as I say Elements. You no longer have your Kindness and your magic! Give up and bow to your new queen!”

“Never! We would all rather DIE than give into an ugly monster like you!” A green Earth pony mare yelled at her struggling in the magic. Her struggling made the mane grip her tighter as she started to choke in the constricting grip of the mane.

“Hmph. So be it Peony, Element of Loyalty.” Nightmare Moon said un amused by the struggles of the mare. Electricity shot through her hair hurting all of the ponies in her mane. Except the green mare. The screams of the other three ponies subdued the mare into silence and tears. Nightmare Moon continued to harm the ponies enjoying her triumph in breaking the Elements of Harmony.

The unicorn stallion was still bleeding on the floor as his friends were electrocuted by the ex-princess. He could see his special somepony struggling to gather her bearings. He crawled slowly feeling his broken bones cracking even further under the pressure. He knew he did not have long left in the world. But he needed to tell her what the princess had told him before her defeat.

He slowly reached his lover and stroked her mane. “I’m… I’m so sorry I had to drag you into this.” He whispered collapsing next to her. The shrieks of his friends and the laughing of the nightmarish mare made him twinge in guilt as he accepted he brought about this fate to his special somepony.

She turned and nursed his head with her delicate hooves. “Shhh. I do not mind. I know we will both die. But I want to spend it with you….” She adored him and would forgive him for anything. She didn’t care if he was the reason she was her, at least she was here with him.

The stallion sighed looking at her with his crying eyes. Her soft white and blue mane fell onto his face comforting him. Her un seeing eyes staring at his. “I love you Snowdrop.”

“I love you too.” Snowdrop said as she rested her head to his. Her stomach twisted in guilt hearing the shrieks of the ponies and her old friend’s maniacal laughs. How had it come this far? How could she have let her friend slip so far into darkness?

If somepony had just show kindness to their moon goddess, just once, Equestria would not be plagued in darkness. Their Sun Goddess wouldn’t slowly be dying as her magic was sucked out of her by the ever growing power of Nightmare Moon.

But it was too late for those words now. The world would soon meet its icy end at the hand of Luna. Her best friend…

Snowdrop could remember how her alter ego started to show only a month earlier and very dramatically. But yet she had done nothing. Now Snowdrop would lose everything she cared about, including her life.
The memories of the earlier month swirled in her head as she felt the air around her chill as the world shifted around her…



A calm song floated to the three mares waiting for a signal in the royal balcony. Princess Celestia kept a calm and composed face on but no one couldn’t see the happiness that shone on her face as her younger sister bounced happily. Snowdrop listened to everything around her and the calming breeze outside with the occasional twinkle pointing to it snowing.

Princess Luna hugged her tightly. “Oh most wonderful of nights my friend! I am finally able to show the beauty my night holds to everypony at the very first Lunar Celebration! I can already see many ponies downstairs awaiting our arrival. And with you as my guest of honour, nothing can go wrong. Right Snowdrop?”

“Right. See you shouldn’t have been so scared last night. Everything will go perfectly and you might even meet a special somepony.” Snowdrop hinted with a wink. Luna blushed glancing at her elder sister.

“Oh, I don’t know…”

“I’m joking Luna. Lighten up; it’s not the end of Equestria.”

Luna barked a forced, ruff laugh. “Sure.”

Suddenly trumpets blared around them as a young stallion’s voice spoke loudly. “Mares and Gentlecolts. I present to you the admirable and beautiful Princesses of the Sun and Moon and their guest of honour, Snowdrop.”

The curtains were opened with magic as the mares stepped out waving graciously at the small crowd. Luna saddened at the amount of ponies who had attended her royal celebration but she figured anypony was better than none.

Snowdrop felt the anger, tension and depression all radiating from her friend, but decided against asking Luna what was wrong.

I wish I had now. We could have avoided all this. But now it’s too late... I'm sorry Luna

Comments ( 14 )

If this is a test run, I'd say that it was successful! I would love to see this story continue.

Comment posted by Shining Star deleted May 23rd, 2013

Going my group, Snowdrop Fanclub

Comment posted by xZFluttershyZx deleted May 23rd, 2013
Comment posted by Shining Star deleted May 23rd, 2013

Snowdrop looked at her friend noticing the emotions that crossed her face but decided against asking Luna.

Looked? Uh she wasn't blind :P?

That was one heck of an opening, well done.:moustache:

Are you gonna continued? I really like it....

2927425 I probably will, but once I've finished You Are The Father. :derpytongue2:

This made me really sad... :fluttercry: Can't wait till you update this story!

Why is this story constantly appearing in the Featured Stories column when it consists of only one chapter and has not been updated since 2013?

Login or register to comment