• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 765 Views, 10 Comments

A Boundless Rivalry - Chris-Cross13



Looks like Trixie wasn't Twilight's only rival...

  • ...
14
 10
 765

Doomsday!

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*

"Uhh Christian, I don't think that's working." Dash says, scared out of her mind. Christian was like an animal when he was enraged. Heck, she was able to hear his deafening scream from Cloudsdale when he had his meltdown!

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* "OH TRUST ME! I'LL WORK!" *KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK* "TWILIGHT! OPEN THIS DOOR, OR SO HELP ME I'LL..."

The door on the library opens quickly. Twilight looks at the group quizzically. She looked at the front of the door to see the wood have bents and stress all over it. She raises a brow before asking:

"Why are you destroying my door Christian?"

The human's eye starts twitching wildly. Was Twilight trying to tick him off? But he quickly simmers down. Now is not the time to make her lose her hearing. After a few deep breaths, he calmly answers.

"Twilight, we know you took Supernova's saddlepack. Give it back please, we need it."

Twilight still has her eyebrow cocked. "I don't have it. But if I did, why do you need it?"

"Because a black hole thingy is going to turn us into spaghetti!" AppleJack says.

Twilight starts laughing uncontrollably, tears streaming from her eyes like waterfalls. As she falls over onto the floor, Supernova peeks behind her and into her home. He spots his light blue, cutie-mark buckled, can't-miss-by-a-mile saddlepack sitting over by the edge of the stairs. Twilight's howling stops as she notices Supernova peeking into her home. She yelps and quickly blocks his view.

"Well, I doubt any black holes are going to destroy us." She shoves Christian and Supernova a few feet back. "Thanks for stopping! Bye!" She goes to slam the door in Christian's face. As she forcefully shuts her door, Supernova sticks a forehoof into the gap of the door. He forces the door open once more. Twilight starts to retreat backward slowly, She needs to get rid of that saddlepack.

"Twilight, if you don't have my pack, then what's that?" He points to the object Twilight is blocking from view.

"What?" Twilight answers innocently. Sweat starts to drip down her fur as the stallion started to unravel her lie.

"THAT. The object behind you!"

Twilight turns halfway in both directions and shrugs cluelessly. Playing dumb was her last option. "I don't see anything. You must be making things up to get me in trouble for stealing! Really Supernova? You stoop that low!? Unbelieveable!" Twilight starts to pout. Vague flies up a bit to get a better view inside. He locates the object resting behind Twilight's lavender body.

"I think he's talking about that light blue saddlepack with his cutie mark on it Twilight." Vague says matter-of-factly. Twilight gulps as she reveals said object. Her eyes dart nervously back and forth as she delves deeper into her web of lies.

"Oh, would you look at that! There it is! Wonder how that got in here? Oh well." She approaches the angered unicorn. "You're more than welcome to have it back Stupidnova as soon as you apologize." She raises her nose into the air snottingly.

"For what?!" He replies hasingly.

"For the way you acted!"

"The way I acted?! You're the one who started it?!"

"No apology, no book!" Twilight sticks her tongue out like a little filly. Supernova, irked at the behavior, is about to shout out some insults when Applejack interveins. She jumps in the middle of the both of them and pushes them in opposite directions.

"All right, that's enough outta y'all!" She turns to Twilight. "Twi, you best give Nova here the book, 'cause I don't wanna get sucked into a hole from space!" Twilight pushes her friend away and into Supernova. Then crash into the wall with a thud, making the others become a bit more defensive.

"Seriously?! You're all still buying this?! Guys, there's no way a black hole will grow to..."

A sudden rumbling fills the room, cutting Twilight off from here rant. Books from the nearby bookcases fall into piles onto the floor. Supernova and AJ try to steady themselves back up, but are quickly brought back down. Outside, Pinkie's body starts spazzing wildly as she is overcome by one of her 'doozy' senses. But that's not the only feeling that something is about to go horribly wrong. Christian hears a nearby bird's nest, overcome with cries for help. The horrid sound is inaudible. He looks to see that Fluttershy is acting the same.

"You hear it too?" He asks as he covers his ears.

"Yes. The birds sense something."

"Oh really! The shaking wasn't enough to tip you guys off!" Dash yells.

"Uhh, I don't think the shaking is our main problem guys..." Rarity points up toward the sky as a massive black void fills the air, sucking in the nearby clouds and...

"Hey wait a minute! Aren't black holes invisible to the naked eye? What the hay?! How come we can see this one?!" PInkie exclaims as she interrupts the narrator. Her shaking stops momentarily as she wants for a response.

"Is it better to see what's about to destroy you or let it be invisible?" Dash asks.

"Good point. But it still doesn't make sense." Pinkie pouts.

"Twilight quickly! Give me the book! Inside there's a spell I can use to reverse all of this before somepony gets hurt!" Supernova demands at Twilight. Twilight nods and quickly rushes over to the pack and retrieves the book. She starts flipping through pages wildly.

"What page?!"

"87!"

Twilight quickly locates the correct page and the corresponding spell below. The Black Hole Reversal spell.

"Got it!

"Excellent! Now all I need to do is use your telescope to amplify the spell into the void! Quickly Twilight! There's no time to lose!"

Twilight looks onward toward the black unicorn and sneers. Supernova grows uncomfortable as he reluctantly goes to collect the book. Twilight goes to hand it off but instead, she gives Supernova a forceful, magical push backward toward the others. Supernova shakes off the sudden push as he stumbles out of the group to see Twilight standing in the doorway.

"Come Spike, we'll show Supernova I'm no novice at anything!" Spike obeys and rushes into Twilight's abode. Supernova quickly gets up to stop her but is once again shot back by the introduction of a magic shield surrounding Twilight's home. The others get up and start yelling toward their friend from outside. Has she gone mad? They think to themselves. Inside, Twilight ignores the yelling and goes to the top of the tree to her telescope. The others spot her outside.

"What was that?!" Dash yells.

"It seems that Twilight is going to try to perform the spell to show me up. She really is insane!" Supernova comments.

A thought pops into Christian's head. "Supernova, you said that only you could do the spell to reverse this. What's gonna happen if Twitlight attempts it?"

"I never said I was the only one who could do it. I said it takes a pony who has the scientific capability and knowledge to perform the spell, with no magical distractions."

"But Twilight's the smartest pony we know!" Rarity includes.

"Maybe so, but this spell is very different from the ones she knows. She could screw it up."

"What will be the repercussions?" Christian asks.

"If she messes up, it'll hurt. A LOT."

"Alright, let's prevent that! Me, Vague, and Fluttershy will try to find an opening toward the top while you guys stay here and try to take down the shield." Dash says. Her plan was... cliche, but it was something everyone could agree on.

"Wait! What about every other pony... no, every other creature in Equestria!" Christian exclaims.

"If light can't escape from a black hole, i'm pretty sure normal creatures can't either. We have to stop this thing NOW!" Supernova exclaims. He starts to fire a concentrated beam of light blue magic toward Twilight's barred off door. "WELL?!" Supernova yells as he struggles to maintain the magical flow. The pegasi fly toward Twilight while Pinkie starts firing her party cannon to help Supernova. Christian also helps out a bit by firing a few darts into the shield.

Meanwhile, Twilight is making the final adjustments to prep herself for the spell. She moves her hoof down the page and follows each step. "Alright, let's see: Telescope? Check! Aimed at center of black hole?" Twilight looks into the scope and adjusts the trajectory. "Check! Spell? Better believe it! Alright Spike! Let's show Supernova who can cast what!"

"Uhh Twilight, maybe that's not such a good idea..."

A burst of lavender is shot out of Twilight's horn and into the telescope. A low whirring sound is heard from within the telescope as the spell bounces off the lenses inside. Suddenly, a huge blast of purple flies out of the other end of the telescope and shatters the shield. It soars it to the center of the black hole and prevents it from enlarging, much to the amazement of everyone else. The three pegasi get knocked back to the ground from the blast. They get up without a scratch.

"That the spell?" Dash asks.

"Indeed." Supernova replies.

"Shoot, that's powerful. Wish it took out the rest of the shield though." Christian says, still firing at the blocked door.

"Told you Twilight was smart!" Rarity sneers.

"Yes. But now she must solve it." Supernova says sternly.

"Solve it? What do you mean solve it?!"

The beam is kept focused on the center of the oncoming void. Twilight has barely broken a sweat. For a spell that was supposed to be challenging, it was a cakewalk. "Ha ha! This is easy! I told Stupidnova I could do any spell! Now, what next?" She flips to the next to page, proud and boastful. She looks down at the next page, ensuring her victory will be sealed.

"Uhh, Twilight, what's wrong?" Spike looks at the mare, a frozen look confusion and fear has suddenly washed over her. She starts scanning down the page, gawking and babbling at what was before her.

"Wh...What the? Carry the two, multiply by the square root of 9,372,654, then add the constant of pi, while finding the radius of Equestria's moon, then divide by the hypotenuse of Luna's horn, and then..." While she tries to decipher the problem in front of her, her horn begins to glow, but instead of a vivid purple, it starts glowing white. The more Twilight tries to figure out the equation, the brighter her horn glows. Soon, it starts glowing like a small star. The group below notices the increasing brightness.

"What's going on Supernova?!" Pinkie yells as she covers her eyes.

"Oh no..."

"Th...This doesn't make any sense!" Twilight exclaims, tossing the book aside. It lands next to Spike, whose eyes have grown wide in fear. Twilight's horn then starts to spark wildly. She tries to quickly stop the spell, but to no effect. "Oh boy..."

A magical explosion envelops the upper portion of Twilight's library in a bright, white light. It was as if someone had blew up the world's largest disco ball over Ponyville. Ponies from the surrounding area, running for their lives, stop momentarily to gaze at the detonation. The group in front of the library, while being the closest to the blast, remain standing. They uncover their eyes to reveal that the magic shield has vanished from the library's vicinity. The library itself hardly took damage, only some leaves were blown away by the shockwave. The three pegasi quickly fly upward toward where Twilight was seen. Christian and the others barge into her home and rush upstairs. They pass Spike, who was stuck inside a bookshelf. Arriving at the balcony, The others join the pegasi as they gather around Twilight, who was just coming to.

"Wha...What happened? I...I tried to do the spell, and the next thing I know, i'm lying on the ground in a daze."

"I told you to let me do the spell and look what happened!" Supernova said sternly. He trots over to the fallen telescope and expects the damage. He growls. "Perfect, the lens is cracked! Congratulations Twilight, we're all doomed because of YOU!"

"Because of ME?! You're the one who started it!"

"Oh! So I was the one who stole my book!?"

"YOU'RE BOOK?!"

"YEA! MY BOOK!"

The two of they start yelling at each other, breaking out into a shouting conflict. The others glance silently at each other, then toward their impending doom. If this argument raged on, they would be history in a matter of moments. Vague, hovering above them, notices Christian's right eye starts twitching. Not good. Christian then starts to grit his teeth in anger as the voices get louder and the void grows larger.

"You're an idiot!"

"NO! I'm resourceful, you're the idiot Stupidnova!"

"Oh Stupidnova, real clever you..."

"SHUT UP! BOTH OF YOU!" Christian booms in a deafening tone. Everypony covers their ears, except Vague, who sits back and watches the outburst unfold. "YOU GUYS DECIDE THAT NOW WOULD BE THE PERFECT TIME TO START AN ARGUMENT?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! THAT BLACK HOLE IS A FEW MINUTES AWAY FROM DESTROYING US ALL, AND THIS IS HOW YOU WANT TO SPEND IT?! BICKERING ABOUT HOW YOU BOTH HATE EACH OTHER BECAUSE OF WHAT HAPPENED IN SCHOOL?! GET OVER IT! THE TWO OF YOU STOP MESSING AROUND AND FIX THIS PROBLEM TOGETHER OR I SWEAR TO CELESTIA I WILL THROW BOTH OF YOU INTO THAT BLACK HOLE HEAD FIRST!

Twilight and Supernova have grown deathly silent, with only the flapping of Dash's wings the only source of sound. They may have covered their ears, but they heard his message loud and clear. Burying the hatchet wasn't Twilight's ideal way out of this, but with a gigantic black hole looming over them, it didn't leave that many options. Twilight and Supernova look each other dead in the eye apologetically.

"I'm sorry Stup... Supernova."

"As am I Twit... Twilight Sparkle."

The two of them stayed locked eye to eye with small smiles barely visible on their faces. The mood transitions into a peaceful manner, like the two of them were going to hug or something. Twilight's cheeks actually start to glow a soft red from the tension. Until Vague decides to butt in.

"Sorry to interrupt, BUT HOW DO WE STOP THIS THING?!" Vague screeches. The trance breaks as quickly as it went, and the two of them nod simultaneously. Supernova picks up the damaged telescope and points inside.

"Well, without another lens, the spell can't be amplified enough to stop the black hole!"

Twilight inspects the damage. The lens was cracked halfway down and when she tried to take it out of the scope, it snapped in two. Twilight pondered over the shattered glass. After a sudden moment of clarity clearance, she enveloped the pieces in a faint light as they started to levitate in the air. Carefully, a small magic shield started to form around the two pieces, and then unifying into one purple lens. The old glass pieces, now useless, fell from Twilight's magical grasp and shattered completely. Twilight held up the new magic lens and grinned.

"Here!" She yells as she maneuvers the lens in front of Supernova's face. "I used the shield spell to copy the concave shape of the telescope lens! If my calculations are correct, this makeshift lens should provide the same amplification that would occur with the old glass lens!"

Supernova plucks the new lens out of the air and inspects it. He turns it around a few times in his hooves to make sure every measure was perfect. He smirks and nods to Twilight in confirmation: Perfect. He quickly places the lens into the scope and puts the whole thing on the tri-pod. Supernova readies himself as he prepares to do the spell, reading over the spell carefully and slowly. He takes a few deep breaths as the black hole looms over Twilight's house. Slowly, a faint cyan glow envelops Supernova's horn as he starts to read the spell. Suddenly, a burst of magic flies out of his horn and into the telescope. Twilight bites her cheek, hoping her makeshift lens would work. A low whirring sound is heard once again from inside the telescope, which is cut off by the magic exiting from the other side, much more brighter and faster. The beam hits the center of the black hole head on, freezing it in its tracks. Christian looks at the others, all worried and scared out of their minds, and sighs.

"Well, if this is the end, I just want to let you all know that...Its been cool."

The others nod and smile softly, as that's the only thing they can manage as they fear for their lives. Vague slowly trots toward his friend and pats him on the back reassuringly. "And Christian, I want you to know that...I was the one who ate the last cupcake in your fridge."

Christian's eyes grow wide. "You did WHAT!?" Vague quickly rushes back to Dash as he comforts her. "And I blamed my little sister!" He mumbles to himself.

The sky flashes violently and all attention is returned toward the black hole, the beam still going strong into the center. Sweat dribbles down Supernova's forehead as he tries to comprehend the rest of the formula. It drips down and is instantly evaporated from the heat of the magic, not even touching the wooden balcony beneath him. Supernova's horn starts to spark slightly, informing the others that he can't figure out the last portion of the equation. Twilight quickly rushes over and views his work, hoping to find the solution. She understands some of the problem, but most of it was gibberish. She quickly eyes the final portion, where Supernova was stuck, to find a variable missing. Twilight quickly plugs in some numbers in her head into the equation. After doing the mental math, she realizes nothing fits, and sighs in defeat. Supernova's horn starts to spark even more, effectively making the beam thinner and thinner. The rest of the group shuts their eyes tight, waiting for their impending fates. Supernova was still racking on the equation, his brain was throbbing painfully.

"What was the last variable?!" He thought to himself.

At that moment, Pinkie bounces over to Supernova and Twilight. She peers over them and eyes the spell before them.

"So...How's it going?" She asks playfully, as if the world wasn't about to end.

"Not now Pinkie Pie, this is a matter of life and death!" Twilight answers demandingly. Supernova's eyes quickly grow wide with realization. His jaw hangs from his mouth and he starts to stare into oblivion. He trembles as he attempts to form words.

"That's it....THAT'S IT!" He exclaims. He quickly starts writing down a new set of numbers and proportions. Twilight eyes him curiously.

"What's it?" She asks.

"The answer of course! How could I have been so blind?! It was so obvious! The only thing that fits into the equation is pi!" He continues writing out a long, complex equation. "Now if I take pi and put it into The Law of Universal Gravity...then we should get...our...answer!" He puts down one final mark, and instantly the beam becomes brighter and thicker as it pierces the black hole's core. The inside of the black hole starts to get whiter as the spell finishes. The concentrated magic from Supernova's horn stops as he collapses to the wood floor. He looks up successfully as the rest of the magic flies into the void.

Briefly, a silence overtakes Ponyville. The group opens one eye slowly just to close it again as the black hole lights up with the brightest light anypony has ever seen. The vortex quickly starts to recede into the sky, spitting out every planet, asteroid, and star that it engulfed before it returns to its point of origin and shirks into nothingness. A voluminous roar is heard from Ponyville, cheers of joy and happiness from the citizens as they stomp their hooves and dance in success. Celestia and Luna, far off in Canterlot, smile toward the area, proud of the teamwork between the two rivals.

Christian and Twilight help Supernova up, who is a little wobbly. Supernova turns toward the lavender mare. He snickers.

"Looks like you owe me one heck of an apology!"

Twilight laughs a little. "Yea, I guess you're right. I'll get right on it." Applejack pats Twilight on her back.

"That was some quick thinking Twi, without that shield thing, we would all be toast!"

"Yes, it looks like Twilight's magic really saved your plot Supernova!" Rarity announces. Supernova nods in agreement.

"Indeed, I guess magic and science need to coexist in order for perfect...Uhh..."

"Harmony?" Twilight finishes.

Supernova laughs and agrees with his rival. "I suppose that fits perfectly! Harmony!" The others laugh with them, a chorus of ponies having fun, except Christian, who was studying the reversal spell. All of the numbers made Christian a little light headed.

"Uhh, hey Supernova, what's the answer to this thing anyway?" Supernova's laughing slowly comes to a halt as he walks over to the book and points to the final answer. The Mane Six join him as they crowd around the book and look at his work. Christian and Vague start laughing hysterically at the final answer. The others grow confused over their sudden laughter, each eyeing each other with puzzled looks. What was so funny about the number forty two?

Author's Note:

Feel free to like, favorite, review, and leave comments about whatever!

Comments ( 4 )

Ha! The answer to the universe is always 42... hilarious!
Not sure how I feel about Vague not being on Twilight's side 100% but at least he was neutral, so that's just as fine.
And knowing Vague... he'd confess to the cupcake then just make-out with Dash.. I did make him a very weird colt.:rainbowwild::moustache:

I think this is one of your best story so far in my opinion, the interaction between Twilight, Chris-Cross and Super Nova was very good. Nova's jerk attitude is a convincing Character to me, to have to get ender Twilight Skin without being completely unlikeable. Chris's attempt at making a new friend that wasn't a character in the show all the wall saying true to his cockiness was fun to see. Twilight on the other hand to my surprises fiend her self in the unusual position of having a grug against en old acutenesses the and is to stubbornness to even consider his advise or his help, for understandable reason whit their back story between them. all in all the story felt very natural compared to your earlier work, which has many interesting elements event for a hie. keep up the good work.:pinkiehappy:

5497889 Wow, thanks so much for the critique! :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment