• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 765 Views, 10 Comments

A Boundless Rivalry - Chris-Cross13



Looks like Trixie wasn't Twilight's only rival...

  • ...
14
 10
 765

Bragging Rights

Twilight was pacing back and forth across her library, wondering why this one stallion has come to Ponyville and more specifically, her library. She became more disgruntled as it made less and less sense. Spike watched at her observantly. It was rare to see Twilight in this sort of state.

"I can't believe this! Out of every single pony in Equestria, He has to be the one that crosses my path!" She punches a pile of books off a table in frustration. Spike runs over, wide-eyed and bewildered as he picks them up. "I haven't seen that stuck up smart alike for years! Then suddenly he shows up and befriends the guy who hates me the most?! Fantastic! I might as well just stand out on the train tracks and get rammed!" She stops momentarily to breathe deeply.

"So, what's your deal with this 'Supernova' guy anyhow? I rarely see you like this Twilight." Spike interrupts. Twilight glaces over her shoulder with fury in her eyes.

"My "deal" with Supernova happened back when I was young." She daydreams back to her young days at school, before she became Celestia's star student, even before she obtained her cutie mark. she remembers walking into class for the first time and automatically eyeing a young black unicorn. "The moment I saw him, I knew he was trouble. He always tried to one-up me. I cast a light spell, he creates a star. I write an essay, he writes a book!"

"Ok, so he's competitive." Spike points out.

"It's not just that! He always rubbed it in my face. I never did anything to that jerk, but he kept pestering me like it was his job. That's way I loved it when I hatched you Spike. The moment he saw me do that, he simply got up and left, probably jealous." She sighs again. "But now that he's back, he's most likely up to something."

"Like Trixie?" Spike says suddenly.

Twilight is about to say something, but she thinks about this. Supernova was essentially the male version of Trixie, but much stronger. Granted, Supernova lacked the magical skill. But who knows what he's capable on the scientific level? Twilight knew her fair share of science and inventions, most were extremely deadly.

"No, much more dangerous." She heads for the door. "C'mon Spike, we're going to see what he's up to!" Spike hurriedly follows Twilight out the door toward town. Spike jumps on Twilight's back, still confused by her motives.

Meanwhile at Sugarcube Corner, Christian and Supernova were just arriving to meet the others. Pinkie, while eating one of her cupcakes, looks toward the human's companion with confusion as they get closer. The others turn toward where Pinkie was staring.

"Hey Christian! Who's the unicorn?" Dash asks.

"Guys, this is Supernova." The stallion waves at them friendly-like. "Supernova, this is AJ, Pinkie P, Fluttershy, RD, Rarity, and Vague. Vague is my human friend I was telling you about, and the others are the..."

"Elements of Harmony! Of course, I know them!" Supernova cuts him off. "Greetings to all of you!" He rushes up to all of them and rapidly shakes their hooves, making each pony a little shaken. "A pleasure to make your acquaintances!"

"Well, ain't you a friendly one!" AJ says to their new guest. He seemed nice enough, besides the whole dark and evil look.

"He looks evil." Pinkie blurts out. She jumps out from the counter and gets in Supernova's face, making him extremely uncomfortable. "Are you evil?" She asks curiously. Supernova is too disturbed to answer. Christian, noticing the awkwardness his friend was feeling, shoots Pinkie with a tranq. She falls over with a yawn and becomes unconscious.

"Yea, probably should have warned you, she's a little...jumpy." Christian says, rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

Supernova brushes off his front legs. "That's alright. I'm used to it. I do have a... sinister look don't I?"

"Okkkkaaayyyy, let's switch topics before she wakes up. Tell us about yourself Supernova." Vague says kindly. He blushes a little.

"Are you sure? I have quite the skill set. I think it'll just bore all of you."

"No way! I bet it's interesting! Go on!" Dash exclaims, urging the black unicorn on. He sighs.

"Alright. Well, for starters..."

Twilight finally arrive at Sugarcube Corner. She knew Christian and the little show-off would be here, It was the typical hangout for them ever since Christian came here, He can't get enough of Pinkie's cupcakes. She enters the bakery to see her friends and Christian huddled around by the counter. Whatever they are hearing, they were really amazed by it. Twilight knew exactly what that "it" was. As she approached, she started hearing a familiar and irritating voice. She cringed slightly at the tone.

"So anyway, I was looking through my telescope in my observatory right outside of Manehattan, searching for anything particularly eye-catching. I was about to give up when I saw what looked like a small, blue marble in the far reaches of space. I zoomed in a few hundred times and BAM! I found Earth!" Supernova took a deep breath and sighed as he finished his little story. The others oohed and ahhed at the conclusion. They clapped vigorously as they cheered.

"Oh! Another! Another!" Dash yelled.

"Simply fascinating!" Rarity congratulated.

"Encore! Encore!" The awoken Pinkie cheered.

Supernova blushed again, embarrassed by their enthusiasm. "Oh stop, you're all just being nice." He persisted. They all denied his accusations.

"No! It was great! The fact that you built the portal and found Earth is remarkable!" Vague shouted. "Without that, You would all be captives, and me and Christian wouldn't be here right now!"

"I also wouldn't be half pony, but I can put that behind me... Maybe." Christian stated, eyeing his new friend with a bit of anger.

As Supernova took the cheer and praise, in the midst of it all, was one angry lavender unicorn. Supernova grinned as he paid no attention to her. He had achieved his goal in annoying Twilight and amusing her friends. Now he wanted to up the ante. He sarcastically greeted her.

"Oh, hello Twilight! Fancy meeting you here! Did you enjoy my story?"

Twilight's right eye twitched a little in rage. "I came in late. I didn't hear any of it." She said plainly.

"Aww, too bad Twilight, It was really something!" Dash said.

"Yea! Did you know that he..." Twilight cut off Pinkie spewing factoids.

"Found Earth? Invented the portal gate? Is one of the smartest ponies in Equestria?" Her friends gawked at her. Spike looked at Twilight bewildered. She said that the last time she saw him was after he was hatched. How did she know so much about him?

"Well, I don't mean to brag, but yea. All of that and more." Supernova rubbed his hoof on his coat in a show-offy way. He glanced up at the irate pony and her bewildered friends.

"More?!" Christian shouted. "Like what?!" The others quickly surrounded Supernova again; wide-eyed and focused.

"Well, I do know some magic that Twilight doesn't for starters." As he said this, Twilight burst out laughing. Spike was shaken off her back as she rolled around and howled. The others took no notice and kept their focus on the black unicorn.

"Indeed." He said, concerned about the lavender hyena in the room. "There are some spells that only ponies who have devoted their lives to science can unlock their potential. Reason being, are that these spells are not chants or magic words, they're complex equations and formulas. It's quite interesting." Twilight stood back up and approached the unicorn just as he finished, still chuckling lightly. Her friends made a gap in the crowd for her to confront him.

"There is no spell that I can't do, Supernova." She glared menacingly at him, dead in the eyes.

"Oh? Then would you care to prove it..." He paused as he tried to think of an insult. He turned toward Christian, who was stuffing his face with cupcakes. "Christian, what did you call her again? Nightlight? Dimlight?"

"Twitlight." Christian said, almost inaudible from his full mouth.

"Thanks." He turned toward Twilight, his muzzle meeting hers. "Then prove it Twitlight."

Twilight laughed. "Little do you know Supernova, I know a bit of science myself. I'm quite the genius. I can do any of your spells, piece of cake!" She restated mockingly.

Supernova backed away from Twilight and eyed her foolishly as he reclined in his wooden chair. "That so? Well then how about a challenge? You vs me. You can use...whatever magic, and i'll use mine." He stomped his hoof on the wooden table. Twilight nodded slightly.

"Alright, but let's make it...interesting." She scratched her head momentarily. She gasped as a thought came. "If I win, you leave town." She stared at him, challenging her wager on her enemy. Supernova smirked at the petty bet.

"Fine. I'll meet you outside." Supernova nudged Twilight out of the way. The crowd opened as Supernova left. He opened the door and stood in the frame for a moment."I look forward to our duel!" He shut the door. They all stared, jaws agape at the disgruntled Twilight in the middle of the crowd. Christian was the first to break the abrupt silence.

"Ok, so I have no idea what the heck just happened. But, I think someone is going to be embarrassed, mad, and possibly weeping in the next ten minutes." Twilight rudely pushed him out of the way as she headed for the door. She turns toward the others.

"If you want to see some fireworks, meet me outside." She muttered under her breath as she left. "I'm gonna make him cry." As the door slammed shut, The Five looked at each other, confused and curious about what was about to go down. A magic duel between a scientist and Celestia's star student. After standing around for a minute, Vague flew for the door.

"Well?! What are you waiting for?!" He soared outside. everyone else shrugged and followed him outside. They stared out into the open field to see the two unicorns, poised and ready. Determination was painted on their faces. Christian quickly darted his eyes around and looked around him and The Five.

"Someone get some popcorn ready! This is gonna be GOOD!"